Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Prodigies

Dowdy

Wplfgang Amadeus Mozart wrote his earliest compositions when he was just five and gave his first dazzling public performance as a painist the same year. William James Sidid, the American genius, was studying advanced mathematics at three and in 1909, aged eleven, lectured to the Harvard Mathematical Association on fourth-dimensional bodies. Unlike Mozart, who went on to bring his talent to full fruition, Sidis retreated from relentless, crual media attention into early annonymity.

A child prodigy is one of those miracles of nature that always evoke wonder and awe in the rest of mankind. But what could explain this extraordinary mystery of the mind? ???

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SpaceyKC

• Althalus

• Dowdy

• Loonboy

That's so sad about Mr. Sadid, having such a gift, and made to feel more punished than rewarded.  Too bad he grew up in the twentieth century instead of now.  People brag about their 'baby geniuses' today!! (And I once heard they got so bored staying in the school grade that matched their age, where now they are propelled as far as they can go).

• 1 year later...

Child prodigies are probably produced in a number of ways,

First of all, some children are able to go further than others due to the people around them letting them do it. - for instance Sidid would not have gotten very good at maths if he had been kept back as a child, and not been taught it.

Second, it may have something to do with the size of the childs brain, or the connectivity between the two halves.

If there are more nuerons *sp, between each side, then the person has better co-ordination and reasoning skills, as well as being more intelligent, as more information is able to pass between each hemisphere.

Here is a page from the Guardian news paper, it has more information on child prodigies:

Click Here

As well as those scientific theories, Althalus, I think it's possible that a child prodigy

may be an old soul who has lived before and has learned those certain skills and

abilities in former lifetimes. Just an idea.

For example, say you spent your whole adult life learning to play the guitar. Then

you died, and were reincarnated a few years later. You pick up a guitar at age six,

say, and very quickly recover your previously learned skills. Pretty soon you're

playing it like you've been practising for years (and you have...). So to all intents and

purposes, you're a prodigy...

huh.gif

I don't know what makes a child prodigy , but I believe they need a balance of stimulation and play with children of there own age and mental ability .

I'm not one to brag ( well not often anyway biggrin.gif ) but I cruised through school . Maths, english and Science where a breeze . I could get 100% on any test without worrying about study or homework . So I started to hang out with the people who lived on my schedule ( No time for homework ), and now I'm a waitress for a living . all too often the kid's who find school easy fall through the cracks , more so than those who have to work at it .

Interesting topic Dowdy I must say though I thought Mozart's first composition was at the ripe old age of 4 .Titled "Twinkle , twinkle, little star." but then again I could be wrong . It has happened before.

Disclaimer : I do not claim to be a prodigy I just wanted to use this example so that people remember that there kid's need direction even if they look like they can cruise through.

....or get sidetracked by a detour biggrin.gif

I agree with LB about things you picked up

from past lives. I think the person I was before

was very intelligent. rolleyes.gif No, really.. just

this morning I was trying to think of the appropriate

word while writing and it came to me, but I had no

idea of the definition (I always look them up and they're

almost always right) smile.gif

from the book i got the info from it also told of a boy (i cant rember the full story because it was a while ago) he was under five years old and he taught himself to read at about 6 months old and he predicted his own death at 3 or 4. There was more but i can't remember it all.

If i do have a child of my own, i'll try and make him into a prodigy. I'll read Britannica and record it to CD and play it to him while it's sleeping. Subliminal Message hehehehe biggrin.gif

Cruel, Clever or Crazy????

clever and crazy.

it might work, but then again he might start talking about things you don't know about, and then it would backfire. biggrin.gif