Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The members are sceptics

JACK NEON

I have read and found a trend to try and disprove everything on this site as if noone has an open mind. In fact in my opinion you are all sceptics. Tell me if I have misjudged this and tell me what you really mean if you can.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Seraphina

• The Proposer

• trublvr

• buggyelfmaiden

No not everyone is a sceptic, as for the sceptics I think it's better to try and prove or disprove something than to follow blindly.

Speaking for myself, yes, I am a sceptic. Whilst I find the subject of the paranormal immensely fascinating, I do not believe in Ghosts, Orbs, UFO's Bigfoot, Nessie or such "creatures". What I find so interesting is the physcological point of view. What I mean is: What makes a person believe in "Monsters"? What physcological requirements are met by the search for the unknown. The paranormal may be fascinating, yet Humans are even more so.

I think what you will find is everyone has their own little area of UM that they like best, be it ghosts, aliens, psychic abilities or whatever.

While each individual who for example believes in alien encounters will be perfectly able to accept someone elses story of how they met a little green man, someone who believes in ghosts might not be so understanding.

And it works the other way, a person claiming they talk to their long dead granny through their wardrobe will be questioned by the same person who may believe in aliens.

As there are many different areas of UM, there will always be more people to dispute your claim rather than believe it.

Also, one of the main points of an unexplained mysteries forum is to try and explain them, and if someone makes a claim without backing it up with a viable source then they are more often than not going to be doubted.

Edited by thebarman

I am a sceptic but I agree with BH. Theres an awful lot of blind believers on this site.

I am kinda in between.

I would like to believe in these beings and 'things' and I often find it fascinating to read up on them, but I can't just believe everything someone tells me, so I question it and then make up my mind.

However I do agree there are too many people here who dismiss anything that somone says without first telling us WHY they find it so hard to believe in. Not all the UM members, but some.

The members of UM are sceptics? ohmy.gif

I don't believe it.

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

I have read and found a trend to try and disprove everything on this site as if noone has an open mind. In fact in my opinion you are all sceptics. Tell me if I have misjudged this and tell me what you really mean if you can.

I would like to think that I am open minded enough to welcome new thoughts and ideas - but if I am to believe, I require evidence.

Simple - we do not try and 'dis-prove' everything, actually the oposite is more correct - we want proof - WE WANT TO BELIEVE

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE ------------------- SHOW ME!!!!

thumbsup.gif

I don’t believe we are skeptics. It’s much more fun than just following blindly. Where is the excitement in just taken as fact anything that is presented to you? Where is the “Thrill of the Chase?”

OK, a UFO crashed at Roswell, the USS ELDRIDGE flashed between ports, Nixon was not a crook, and Elvis is still playing with a bar band in Mississippi. Given. What next?

We here do not stand firm on, “It does not exist.” If we were hard core skeptics we would not be in this forum. Rather, we say, “Where is it? What is it?” As was said, we do want to believe. We just need more than what my sister’s boyfriend’s friend’s mom’s cousin three times removed said.

Was it really Bigfoot, or just some big hairy guy with major B.O.?

Anyone who is being rational about it is a sceptic.

This site is called 'Unexplained Mysteries', because that is what they are, unexplained!

The reason we are here is because we find the mysteries intriguing. We like to formulate our own ideas and beliefs about what are behind them; and that's the beauty of it, they are our own beliefs, but there are many others whose beliefs differ. From these boards we can read different opinions, and maybe change our minds as to what we believe is really going on.

If weren't sceptical, then there'd be no debate, and no mystery. If that was the case, we might as well pack our bags and go and join a site called 'Explained Former Mysteries'

I think none of us are pure skeptics, and none of us are pure believers.

A real believer believes in other beliefs.

A real skeptic is skeptical towards skepticism.

The so-called believers, they don't believe in anything. Especially they don't believe in skeptics. The believers are skeptical towards the skeptics. Also the believers in God tends not to believe in evolution, they are in fact skeptical.

The so-called skeptics, they are not skeptical towards everything. Especially they show a lack of skepticism towards the skeptics.

Removed unnecessary quote

Huh? huh.gifdontgetit.gif

w00t.gif My head hurts now PP!!! laugh.gif

Way to clear that up! tongue.gif

whistling2.gif

Edited by Magikman

I am a believer, with a little sceptic mixed in for fun. My area of expertese(I can't spell right now, too sleepy) is ghosts and hauntings. I also have my own beliefs regarding the afterlife (obviously tongue.gif ) I hope that made sense for everyone. It made sense to me. wacko.giforiginal.gif

Wouldn't go as far as say I'm a total sceptic. I do believe in things yes, but not goin to like be all "OMGS?? REALLY??" about it all.

And some stuff that gets posted is so bizzar, that you can't help but poke alittle fun at it. That and given there's so much out there with different backgrounds... Some people would call some odd thing an "Act of God" while other's who believe differntly will call it by what they well.. believe in.

Personally, I try to look for the bits in the story that could verify it. Either information in the story such as people or known happenings.

As my area of expertise is generally everything unexplained or paranormal, I find it helps in that it gives a large background of cases in which to gather evidence either for or against.

While I think it's healthy to be a bit of a sceptic at times, I'm not out to prove anything or disprove anyone else. I think we have minds of our own & should use our own judegement about what we believe or not.

I have not posted tons on the forum about my experiences, but what I have posted has been to share my experiences with those who are interested, not to win someone over to believe me, or defend myself. original.gif

I would definately say i'm a skeptic - but i also have a very open mind. I used to believe in a whole load of stuff but when proof appeared which disproved what i wanted to believe, it was my open mind that made me a skeptic.

That said you say the word skeptic as if it's a dirty word, something that is wrong - are you being skeptical about skeptics?

I am an open minded sketpic...lol...i believe in certain things (ie existance of ufo's and aliens) but i don't believe in others (ie aliens contacting us or abducting us). I think you will find most people on this forum want the person making a claim to prove BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT that their claim is true...its easy to believe in something, but it's hard to know it as a fact. cool.gif

most people on this forum want the person making a claim to prove BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT

well.. if I can do that.. I'm not gona be here wink2.gif

I'm more of a neutral skeptic. I usually don't say anything if I believe somethings is false or highly unbelievable. Anything is possible, even the most unbelievable.

If I do believe something isn't real. I'll state it while backing it up with some "evidence". Otherwise, I dont' say anything at all. It irritates me when people give laconic answers to questions that require more words than a yes or a no.

When dealing with the paranormal, you've got to keep an open-mind.

There are skeptics who have turned into believers in this subject of the Paranormal.

There are some people here who try to prove it, and yet are discouraged by the enormous negativity drawn to it. Proving such things may be an long-term process, even when then paranormal is involved. They don't call it a mystery for no reason.

Some of the skeptical members who have replied to such Paranormal topics are really dispicable. What if the the things people believe in is true? That's why it's better to say nothing even if you really don't believe it. Posting a reply with the words "I don't believe" is really a pointless reply. Do we really care? I obvioulsy detest laconic statements...so either use evidence to back up why you don't believe in such things or don't say anything at all.

Well i'm done with my rant. This is stressing me out...time to head to the Humour Section grin2.gif

Well, I would say that the areas on the forum I inhabit most are 'Ghosts', 'Aliens' & 'Sightings', with the odd dalliance into other subjects.

I think it is better to question everything, rather than to accept it blindly. If someone believes something, great, but don't expect me to believe it without question - I did not have your experience.

As for myself, I've witnessed some strange things and although my mind is open to the possibilities life has, whatever it is I'm considering has to get through the logical and reasonable questions of my mental doormen before I'll consider it plausible.

I trained as a medium a few years ago and would take nothing on pure faith - everything I experienced was scrutinized and probed and subjected to rational possibilities in my head, but even so I believe in some things that others would scoff at. All I can say is, if you experience it, you believe it.

wink2.gif

I trained as a medium a few years ago

Surely you should have gone for expert training grin2.gif

Oh, i'll get my coat... grin2.gif

o....k

we're not all sceptics, yes il agree some do try disprove everything they come across but its not all of us...