Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Kasai Rex

MysteryMike

Have you guys heard about Kasai Rex. They say its a living carnivous theropod Dinosaur living there. Probably fake, but thought I make a topic about this if you want to know about this cryptid.

Kasai rex is an animal claimed to be a surviving carnivorous dinosaur in Africa. There are conflicting descriptions of it, and the only original reports are suspected by most cryptozoologists to be dubious.

Kasai valley report

In 1932 John Johnson (sometimes spelled Johanson), a Swedish plantation owner, was traveling with a servant in the Kasai valley, in the Belgian Congo (now the Democratic Republic of the Congo). They encountered a rhinoceros, and, while attempting to pass it without detection, were surprised by a large creature rushing out of the undergrowth and attacking the rhinoceros. The servant ran away and Johnson fainted. He awoke to see that the creature was eating the rhinoceros. "It was reddish in color, with blackish-colored stripes," he said later. "It had a long snout and numerous teeth." He decided that the creature, 13 metres long, was a Tyrannosaurus. However, he also said "The legs were thick; it reminded me of a lion, built for speed".

Similar report

There is a similar story in an edition of the Rhodesia Herald, also from 1932:

On February 16 last I went on a shooting trip, accompanied by my gunbearer. I had only a Winchester for small game, not expecting anything big. At 2 p.m. I had reached the Kasai valley (sic).

No game was in sight. As we were going down to the water, the boy suddenly called out "elephants". It appeared that two giant bulls were almost hidden by the jungle. About 50 yards away from them I saw something incredible - a monster, about 16 yards in length, with a lizard's head and tail. I closed my eyes and reopened them. There could be no doubt about it, the animal was still there. My boy cowered in the grass whimpering.

I was shaken by the hunting-fever. My teeth rattled with fear. Three times I snapped; only one attempt came out well. Suddenly the monster vanished, with a remarkably rapid movement. It took me some time to recover. Alongside me the boy prayed and cried. I lifted him up, pushed him along and made him follow me home. On the way we had to transverse a big swamp. Progress was slow, for my limbs were still half-paralyzed with fear. There in the swamp, the huge lizard appeared once more, tearing lumps from a dead rhino. It was covered in ooze. I was only about 25 yards away.

It was simply terrifying. The boy had taken French leave, carrying the rifle with him. At first I was careful not to stir, then I thought of my camera. I could hear the crunching of rhino bones in the lizard's mouth. Just as I clicked, it jumped into deep water.

The experience was too much for my nervous system. Completely exhausted, I sank down behind the bush that had given me shelter. Blackness reigned before my eyes. The animal's phenomenally rapid motion was the most awe-inspiring thing I have ever seen.'

I must have looked like one demented, when at last I regained camp. Metcalfe, who is the boss there, said I approached him, waving the camera about in a silly was and emitting unintelligible sounds. I dare say I did. For eight days I lay in a fever, unconscious nearly all the time.'

Criticism

This story presents problems due to inaccuracies. The hunter claims that "giant bull" elephants were in the jungle - yet forest elephants Loxodonta cyclotis are much smaller than the familiar elephant L. africana of the plains. A large bull L. africana would have great difficulty in jungle terrain.

There is also the similarity between many aspects of these two stories: the single servant runs off; the creature eats a rhino; and both Johanson and Johnson faint. This suggests a single source for both stories.

Finally, the whole report is stated in mumbo jumbo terms, rather than as a neutrally-termed account; this would appear to indicate that the story was meant to entertain.

It is perhaps notable that, of all cryptids reported from Africa, this is the only one without a name in a local language - but a carnivorous animal of this size would not have escaped attention by the local population.

Photographs

Two photographs from the first two sightings are said to exist, each showing radical differences from the other. One shows a creature resembling a large monitor lizard. In this photograph, a white line surrounds the creature; it appears to be a cutout from a nature magazine. The other photograph depicts a Tyrannosaurus-like creature eating a rhinoceros.

Pretty sure this is all very much not true, but still tell me what you think. Kasai Rex ain't real most likely though.

linked-image

Someone who took this picture says this is Kasai Rex. It's pretty much fake though.

Edited by MysteryMike

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stormcrow

• Undeadskeptic

• catutie

• Drago

Pretty much?

The Giant Gila Monster had better effects than that picture. XD

Seriously?

"It was reddish in color, with blackish-colored stripes," he said later. "It had a long snout and numerous teeth." He decided that the creature, 13 metres long, was a Tyrannosaurus. However, he also said "The legs were thick; it reminded me of a lion, built for speed".

It sounds like a tiger to me? The size sounds incredibly exaggerated, and there's nothing in the description that compares it to a dinosaur. It also doesn't say how big the rhino was, or how old.

Seriously, no. o_o There are no living dinosaurs.

Other image, for funsies:

linked-image

Edited by Ebonykrow

Seriously?

It sounds like a tiger to me? The size sounds incredibly exaggerated, and there's nothing in the description that compares it to a dinosaur.

Seriously, no. o_o There are no living dinosaurs.

I know but I just made this for those who would want to know about it. I will make more like about Mbielu-Mbielu-Mbielu later. Other then that. I know but I don't think tigers would be in Africa?

It may have been a large crocodile. I can imagine a large croc attacking a rhino. (I can not imagine a croc killing a rhino, though.) I also can imagine a croc eating from a dead rhino that has been lying in a swamp for some days. So it may have been an embellished story about encountering a large croc eating a dead rhino. The color of the croc may have been dried up mud or blood. Somebody made up the bit about the "lizard" attacking the rhino (must have been a surmise), and named it a tyrannosaurus.

Edited by Ell

I know but I just made this for those who would want to know about it. I will make more like about Mbielu-Mbielu-Mbielu later. Other then that. I know but I don't think tigers would be in Africa?

African Tiger

African TigarAlthough conventional wisdom has it that there never have been tigers in Africa, there is evidence from fossils that the sabre-tooth species was found in many parts of the continent until about a million years ago. The reason for their disappearance is unclear, but palaeontologists say it was probably caused by dramatic climatic changes opening up the savannahs.

http://www.indiantiger.org/tigers-around-t...ican-tiger.html

Sounds more possible than a tyranosaur, to be perfectly honest.

But, not impossible it was another type of big cat (leopard, for example, as some genetic mutations will cause the leopard's fur to turn red). Stripes may have been an illusion.

It may have been a large crocodile. I can imagine a large croc attacking a rhino. (I can not imagine a croc killing a rhino, though.) I also can imagine a croc eating from a dead rhino that has been lying in a swamp for some days. So it may have been an embellished story about encountering a large croc eating a dead rhino. The color of the croc may have been dried up mud or blood. Somebody made up the bit about the "lizard" attacking the rhino (must have been a surmise), and named it a tyrannosaurus.

Much more possible than my suggestions. XD

http://www.indiantiger.org/tigers-around-t...ican-tiger.html

Sounds more possible than a tyranosaur, to be perfectly honest.

But, not impossible it was another type of big cat (leopard, for example, as some genetic mutations will cause the leopard's fur to turn red). Stripes may have been an illusion.

You may have a point. Maybe a Leopard with a fur colouring.

Although I've always believe that the Sabertooth didn't die and evolve into their today's modern day relative the Tiger.

Edited by MysteryMike

linked-image

A Erythristic leopard.

But, I have similar feelings about sabers and large cats of the ice age (and there about). Evolution played a part somewhere, but I've never looked into it so I don't have the knowledge to debate about it.

I'm guessing that the Erythristic leopard is rare.

It's always the sabertooth. There were other large Pleistocene cats, you know. Homotherium, for example. It was the Velociraptor to the Smilodon's Tyrannosaurus.

And 'the sabertooth' is a misconception. Saber-toothed cats are a family group. Most people are referring to Smilodon when they talk about 'the sabertooth', but they never realize that they're perpetuating a falsehood. There was no single animal called the sabertooth. There was an entire family of them, more formally known as Machairodonts.

Edited by Drago

It doesn't sound incredibly rare.

"Other leopard mutants include red (erythristic) leopards with chocolate brown markings on a reddish background. The colour resembles rich mahogany. Buff leopards with orange rosettes have occurred; this could result from a combination of dilution and erythrism, in the same way that cream tabby cats are dilute forms of red tabbies." Enough to have that bit of information about them, at any rate, and several taxidermy'd specimens.

http://www.messybeast.com/genetics/mutant-leopards.html

I've always thought that the puma had a certain resemblance to the American cheetah or lion, but I don't know anything about their fossil record so, really shouldn't say anything. :/ Sabers I think did go the way shared by most of the mega fauna, simply because they would have had to go through a radical change to have evolved into cats we know today in such a short period of time.

Edited by Ebonykrow

just so we're clear, you chaps know that those photos are 1. a painting and 2. a plastic stop motion model?

just so we're clear, you chaps know that those photos are 1. a painting and 2. a plastic stop motion model?

Yes. XD I'm not a complete dumbass.

ROFL. Entirely true. 'Kasai Rex' seems highly unlikely, the post about erythristic leopards seems much more likely.

why cant we just say this is ANOTHER sequel to Jurassic Park and call it good XD!!!! ya i would love to have dinosuars living among us but this one just seems....false and very improbable i dont think taht there is a t-rex eating rhinos or monitor lizards eating them eather. i think the croc theory is the correct one.

Sorry, but dinosaurs were such a spectacularly successful branch, that if any breeding populations had survived, they surely would have spread around the globe. The "lost world" hypotheses (of a small dino population surviving in a remote location) made sense back when dinosaurs were believed to be hopelessly stupid and low creatures, incapable;e of competing with the small mammals which wiped them out. Knowing, today, that they were, intellegent, adaptable, and quick, and had successfully dominated the environment for tens of millions of years (co-existing with mammals) it is pretty clear that any surviving would have re-populated the Earth.

As much as I'd like to believe, there is no credible theory of a sustainable dinosaur population on Earth.

yaa but if theres only one of them then they cant spread o_O

Sorry, but dinosaurs were such a spectacularly successful branch, that if any breeding populations had survived, they surely would have spread around the globe. The "lost world" hypotheses (of a small dino population surviving in a remote location) made sense back when dinosaurs were believed to be hopelessly stupid and low creatures, incapable;e of competing with the small mammals which wiped them out. Knowing, today, that they were, intellegent, adaptable, and quick, and had successfully dominated the environment for tens of millions of years (co-existing with mammals) it is pretty clear that any surviving would have re-populated the Earth.

As much as I'd like to believe, there is no credible theory of a sustainable dinosaur population on Earth.

Agreed. The only reason dinosaurs were wiped out when smaller mammals and birds survived was because they weren't adaptable enough, partly due to a lot of them being large (I think?)

yaa but if theres only one of them then they cant spread o_O

If there's only one, it wouldn't have survived 65 million years...

If there's only one, it wouldn't have survived 65 million years...

Urm... yes? o_O

I think they meant if there was only one dino right now?

ya i probably should have said right now. but if there is one right now there would be no mass spreading and dinos taking over the world.

The Giant Gila Monster

Love that crappy movie! :yes:

Now Kasai Rex is certainly a hoax, that much is clear. The native tribes in the Kasai regoin have no knowledge of such an animal and do not have a native name for it. In Dr. Heuvelmans classic cryptozoological work On the track of unknown animals he mentions that the original Congo "Dinosaurs" claims were a newspaper hoax, that actually described a ceratopsian, not a brontosaur.

As the Brontosaur (As it was known as back then) was more well known, other newspapers altered the story top a long necked monster.

So it seems any reports of living African dinosaurs are well off the mark.

HOWEVER there are many, many other dinosaur legends from all across the globe, from Australias Burrunjor to the Colorado T-Rex sightings to Chinese sauropod stories. These are, in my opinion, all false, butas always you can't prove a negative so we'll just have to wait and see.

COLORADO?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! WHAT?!?!?!?! :o :o :o DINOSUARS IN COLORADO?!?!?!