Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Lake Coleridge Monster

Undeadskeptic

considering it hit him with a huge force, i doubt theres logs whipping about underwater or anything else inanimate for that reason.

It's all a matter of mass and kinetic force. I have been hit with a submerged log while swimming and it basically pushed me out of the way. It slowed down, but it kept on going. Left a nasty bruise too. ^_^

*Edit to add: That also took place in a lake, with typical lake currents.

Edited by Slave2Fate

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Undeadskeptic

• catutie

• Stormcrow

• draconic chronicler

i think this thing could be real and then just got up and left.......but to were??? O_o im checking every were there is water now........even the toilet O_o!!!! but the croc and eel theorys sound more real world..........*whew* BUT IM STILL LOOKING!!!!!!! O_o

Leopard seal: Even though this occurred in a lake, I'm not doubting the possibility completely. The description and behaviour seems to fit. http://www.doc.govt.nz/conservation/native...ard-seal/facts/

Excellent suggestion.

I was thinking of a crocodile, but it could not be a croc as for example indicated by the wolf-like head. I also considered a sea mammal, but could not think of one that fit. Leopard seal does fit. I suspect that the size estimate is not reliable; estimating a size on water is difficult. Once in the lake, the animal could have lost the way out.

Haha, that makes no sense but still I laugh!

*Sun falls from the sky, statues weep tears of blood*

NOOOO!!! NOOOOOOOOOOO ! ! ! ! !

(Like, typing while not looking at the keyboard is how I usually operate. But in the dark, my fingers can't see where they're going so I was missing like every other letter. XD)

YES! IT'S TRUE. I've lost the ability to distinguish one word from another!

*crumble*

The animal wouldn't have to climb aboard, there is no evidence it did.

The reason I suspected that it had, was that there was "signs of a struggle", in that there was blood on both the side of the boat and on board. If the crocodile had grabbed him as he was leaning over the boat, there's little reason that the crocodile would have let go or not have been able to pull him overboard. If the croc had simply managed to pull him over, there would have been little sign inside the boat that the man had been attacked (imo). IF the man did get away from the crocodile and managed to pull back into the boat (which would explain the mess), then how is it he finally disappeared/was eaten? If the absolute only way he could have left the area was returning to the side of the boat to, say, unravel a rope, then it would make sense, but it just seems strange. How would he have managed to get away from the crocodile in the first place, given that the descriptions portray a very large and powerful creature? Maybe I'm just rambling. :lol:

We would have to assume these women were simpletons to believe they would not have recognised a reptillian animal and distinguish it from a mammalian one surely?

I would certainly hope a five year old could distinguish between "lizard" and "canine". XD So, either simpleton or incredibly mistaken (or blind).

Whatever happened to DC anyway? Not that I miss him mind, just wondering.

You know, I do kind of miss seeing him around. Admittedly, some of his posts were pretty informative (even if they lacked direct sources on occasion, they were still pretty fun).

ALSO. I was just thinking about the sheep scenario, which in the end could actually describe behaviour that is not like the crocodile. Reptiles don't have to feed very often (and though the account doesn't present a time in which the sheep are killed off), it sounds like the creature is feeding frequently to create such a fuss.

Excellent suggestion.

I was thinking of a crocodile, but it could not be a croc as for example indicated by the wolf-like head. I also considered a sea mammal, but could not think of one that fit. Leopard seal does fit. I suspect that the size estimate is not reliable; estimating a size on water is difficult. Once in the lake, the animal could have lost the way out.

I looked through many different seals and marine mammals, and the only one that seemed to fit description and behaviour was a leopard seal. Though, about the size, you're very right. Estimating on water is difficult, and even if they were somewhat close, it's not impossible to have a larger specimen in a species especially if it was eating and living as well as the stories claim.

linked-image

wolf-like?

Its hairless and you're looking at a leopard seal.

Bull leopard seals grow to about 3.2m, which is about 10 feet and still doesnt explain the extra 6 feet unless this was a giant one.

Okay, but imagine you can only see the top of it's head with the eyes and teeth. It's shiny wet, so it may appear hairless to one who is nopt knowledgable of how seals look.

The size could be an exaggeration due to the womens fear?

ya sadly i think that is what they saw......*sigh* WHY CANT SOMTHING ACTUALLY EXIST ONCE IN A WHILE!!!!!

......*sigh* WHY CANT SOMTHING ACTUALLY EXIST ONCE IN A WHILE!!!!!

HAHAHA :lol: sorry catutie, that struck me as funny.

HAHAHA :lol: sorry catutie, that struck me as funny.

Yeah it was funny.

WOAH, new theory.

Orca Whale?

orca??? how would it get into the lake??? HOW DOES A GIANT WHALE GO UP A RIVER UNNOTICED???

Wow.

Relax.

It could have been a child when it went into the lake, and grew up there, where it WAS noticed and became known as 'Lakey'. Then it died.

lol hmmmmm but wouldnt it die of no food. i mean its not just going to say hey those fish look tasty and start eating them. and arnt orcas salt water fish well live in salt water only??? can they live in fresh water???

well what about like teenage whale???

Hmmmmm, a giant predator intelligent enough to prey on a harmless fisherman, but smart enough to avoid an armed hunter.

Mysteriously 'arrived' at the lake as if it could have flown there, stayed for awhile and then left again as mysteriously as it arrived.

Wolf-like head but no fur........ yes, "they" are often depicted like that, particularly in medieval european art, but virtually every human culture believed they were real creatures for thousands of years, and most claimed it was at home as much in the water as on land.

It can be only one thing, and we all know what that is............. thanks Undead, I can really use this in my documentation!

Edited by draconic chronicler

ya but what about the tracks leaving???

Hmmmmm, a giant predator intelligent enough to prey on a harmless fisherman, but smart enough to avoid an armed hunter.

Mysteriously 'arrived' at the lake as if it could have flown there, stayed for awhile and then left again as mysteriously as it arrived.

Wolf-like head but no fur........ yes, "they" are often depicted like that, particularly in medieval european art, but virtually every human culture believed they were real creatures for thousands of years, and most claimed it was at home as much in the water as on land.

It can be only one thing, and we all know what that is............. thanks Undead, I can really use this in my documentation!

Are you saying it could have been a dragon?? get serious :P

Are you saying it could have been a dragon?? get serious :P

Everything seems to fit............ and these creatures are probably the most 'believed in' of all cryptic creatures, going back to the earliest times, and still imbedded in the religious beliefs of all of the world's great religions (and many not so great religions as well). They are the best explanation for MOST large reptilian cryptid sightings, who consistently manage to avoid dedicated searches for them, as no walnut brained 'normal' animal would be able to.

Everything seems to fit............ and these creatures are probably the most 'believed in' of all cryptic creatures, going back to the earliest times, and still imbedded in the religious beliefs of all of the world's great religions (and many not so great religions as well). They are the best explanation for MOST large reptilian cryptid sightings, who consistently manage to avoid dedicated searches for them, as no walnut brained 'normal' animal would be able to.

That spiel rather reminds me of something someone would say about Bigfoot.

First Problem here is the question : What do you mean with Dragon? What is a Dragon supposed to be?

Lookee here for example : Our modern day childbook version of how a Dragon looks has not much to do with the Understanding of a Dragon in the Middle Age. Back than people understood the Dragon to be some Giant Snake. In China the Dragon is a Snake-Like bearded Spirit with little feet.

In the modern day we have that Child-book Dragon in mind just like Eliott from the Walt Disney Movie. But that is not a Myth - It is what people like to draw in recent times. "Dragon" is no single species in Myths, but rather a word as unspecified as "Big Monster"!

See where I am going? There is not much Substance for assuming a "Dragon" cause Dragon was never meant to be a specified Creature.

We today love to associate the "Dragon" with the Dinosaur cause Dinos are soo cool ever. But its only our wishful thinking.

A Wolf-Like Head can mean a lot. Remember these Bystanders were seldom Zoologists who in broad daylight got to get a good long look at the "Monsterhead" being so near to remember everything exactly.

Wolflike Head can mean a lot. It just suggests it was something with a Neck - So no fish.

Wolflike and no fur - I have to think on a Kaiman - Head :alien:

First Problem here is the question : What do you mean with Dragon? What is a Dragon supposed to be?

Lookee here for example : Our modern day childbook version of how a Dragon looks has not much to do with the Understanding of a Dragon in the Middle Age. Back than people understood the Dragon to be some Giant Snake. In China the Dragon is a Snake-Like bearded Spirit with little feet.

In the modern day we have that Child-book Dragon in mind just like Eliott from the Walt Disney Movie. But that is not a Myth - It is what people like to draw in recent times. "Dragon" is no single species in Myths, but rather a word as unspecified as "Big Monster"!

See where I am going? There is not much Substance for assuming a "Dragon" cause Dragon was never meant to be a specified Creature.

We today love to associate the "Dragon" with the Dinosaur cause Dinos are soo cool ever. But its only our wishful thinking.

A Wolf-Like Head can mean a lot. Remember these Bystanders were seldom Zoologists who in broad daylight got to get a good long look at the "Monsterhead" being so near to remember everything exactly.

Wolflike Head can mean a lot. It just suggests it was something with a Neck - So no fish.

Wolflike and no fur - I have to think on a Kaiman - Head :alien:

Actually, as Anthroplogist, Dr. David Jones has shown in An Instinct for Dragons, eerily similar, winged reptilian monsters now collectively called "dragons" appear in virtually every human culture who has left artifactual evidence of their beliefs.

You will also find that the examples you have cited are somewhat in error......

MANY Chinese dragons, paticulalry older examples such as depiected in the Han dynasy, (when dragon interaction with humans was stated in histoircal records), look very much like "Western" dragons, with short bodies, longer legs and well defined wings. The "Chinese Restaruant" dragon of today is a more sylized version of the ancient dragons.

MOST medieval European dragons look quite a bit like those early Chinese dragons. In fact, the red dragon on the welsh flag would be instantly recogizable to a Sumerian of 3000 BC, a Chinese of 100 AD, a European of 1200 AD, or even an American Indian of 1600 AD............. or as you say, a child with a storybook in 2009 AD.

Does this mean knghts saved dragons from dragons in Medieval times? No. But if a storyteller wanted to included in his story the most fearsome animal imaginable for his hero to slay, he would pick a dragon, though on the other hand we have accounts of dragons terrorizing populations that were recorded as historical events. No one doubted their existence until around the 17th century, and then, it was simply assumed they might have all died out by then......... yet since that time, 'dragonlike' cryptids able to elude every attempt to capture them continue to be seen, and now have been named by scientists, and protected by various nations.

And to get back to the original topic, this 'monster' if real, appears to be one of these 'dragons' that briefly occupied the lake, and then 'moved on' when armed humans began to hunt it.

ya but would an animal have the inteligence to say hmmm people are starting to use wepons i better leave to a new spot as drago said once things dont just get up and leave to a new spot they would die of climate and changes of environment.....but that also kinda proves that that could work cause if it did get up and move and then died that would explain why they have never seen it again hmmmm i just stated both sides of the argument DANG!!! :(

Nice to see you back DC :)

However, may I please just quietly note that whilst I recognize Dragons as what some might call a possibility, I do not really care for causing a dragon-related argument. If there is any quarreling that needs to be done regarding their existence may it please be done in PM's or in a Dragon-specific thread or not at all.

Nice to see you back DC :)

However, may I please just quietly note that whilst I recognize Dragons as what some might call a possibility, I do not really care for causing a dragon-related argument. If there is any quarreling that needs to be done regarding their existence may it please be done in PM's or in a Dragon-specific thread or not at all.

No argument. I am providing the most plausible explanation for this specific creature discussed in this thread, if it was indeed really seen, based on the facts we have. I think your problem is with the word "dragon" itself. For example, we have seen that the Maori acknowledged a large, intelligent, carnivorous reptilian entity that protected specific human tribes and enforced them to obey religious taboos. Any anthropologist would classify this as a 'dragon' archetype, and acknowledge its remarkable similarity to similar animals believed in by cultures all over the world.

The intelligence that ancient man all over the world acknowldedged these creatures having, very adequately explains why they are still being seen, yet are able to avoid modern attempts to 'capture' them. If they truly exist, they must be intelligent to be able to avoid us, save for the chance sightings still happening around the world.

You may notice as well, that I did not introduce the word 'dragon' into this thread.

Edited by draconic chronicler