Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Lake Coleridge Monster

Undeadskeptic

ya but would an animal have the inteligence to say hmmm people are starting to use wepons i better leave to a new spot as drago said once things dont just get up and leave to a new spot they would die of climate and changes of environment.....but that also kinda proves that that could work cause if it did get up and move and then died that would explain why they have never seen it again hmmmm i just stated both sides of the argument DANG!!! :(

Our ancestors stated they taught us agriculture, writing, brought rain, and were considered Gods or assistants to gods all over the world, so their recognizing the danger of firearms after exposure to them for 700 years would not be much of a stretch.

Edited by draconic chronicler

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Undeadskeptic

• catutie

• Stormcrow

• draconic chronicler

well thats people....there smarter....most of the time. but animals go completly off instinct and dont think for themselves like humans do so i dont think that it would pick up and leave.

well thats people....there smarter....most of the time. but animals go completly off instinct and dont think for themselves like humans do so i dont think that it would pick up and leave.

Humans are driven by instinct more than you realize, and not all animals are run completely off of it either. They can think for themselves, too.

well i know that they are run off instict and learned behavior but i didnt think it was that much......... :hmm:

Ask a good social anthropologist about how instinct drives humans without them being aware of it. You'll get a good conversation, I can guarantee it.

wouldnt it be like you had a cup of coffee every morning for a month and at the end of the month you would see yourself getting a cup of coffee without even realizing it...........or is that a learned behavior??? :huh:

That's a learned behavior, and an addiction on top of it. Nothing to do with instinct there.

caffeine addiction.............i broke it :D

No argument. I am providing the most plausible explanation for this specific creature discussed in this thread, if it was indeed really seen, based on the facts we have. I think your problem is with the word "dragon" itself. For example, we have seen that the Maori acknowledged a large, intelligent, carnivorous reptilian entity that protected specific human tribes and enforced them to obey religious taboos. Any anthropologist would classify this as a 'dragon' archetype, and acknowledge its remarkable similarity to similar animals believed in by cultures all over the world.

The intelligence that ancient man all over the world acknowldedged these creatures having, very adequately explains why they are still being seen, yet are able to avoid modern attempts to 'capture' them. If they truly exist, they must be intelligent to be able to avoid us, save for the chance sightings still happening around the world.

You may notice as well, that I did not introduce the word 'dragon' into this thread.

Haha, DC don't act the fool. Surely you know by now that your very prescence in a board causes the word 'dragon' to generate at some point.

Okay, good points, it could be a dragon, but lets not debate dragons existence (I know you are not but others surely will)

I agree, not the place to debate dragons.

But, I still think it's a leopard seal. :P

ya.....leopard seals.... :mellow:

I agree, not the place to debate dragons.

But, I still think it's a leopard seal. :P

But it behaves like a crocodile! Looks like a seal, behaves like a croc, but it's not an eel. That;s all I got :lol:

Haha, DC don't act the fool. Surely you know by now that your very prescence in a board causes the word 'dragon' to generate at some point.

Okay, good points, it could be a dragon, but lets not debate dragons existence (I know you are not but others surely will)

Okay, lets not call it a 'dragon' then. Call it what the Maori did, the Lake Coleridge monster is probably a Taniwha. These native peoples were SUPERB observers of the natural world, (like most native cultures that believed in similar creatures around the world), and they believed these aquatic, man-eating reptiles were intelligent beings. And an intelligent being is really the only explanation for such large creatures to exist, yet constantly elude mankind's attempts to capture them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilosaurus

A very long shot I know, but it is very crocodilian as well as having a "mammalian" sort of face, hence wolf-like?

Yes, but how would an enormous basilosaurus go unnoticed living for such a long time in the lake, and if it died, why didn't gases from decomposition cause its body to float on the surface and be seen?

Okay, lets not call it a 'dragon' then. Call it what the Maori did, the Lake Coleridge monster is probably a Taniwha. These native peoples were SUPERB observers of the natural world, (like most native cultures that believed in similar creatures around the world), and they believed these aquatic, man-eating reptiles were intelligent beings. And an intelligent being is really the only explanation for such large creatures to exist, yet constantly elude mankind's attempts to capture them.

I can think of a much more logical and simple explanation.

I can think of a much more logical and simple explanation.

As can I. Several in fact.

it could be sevral differant creatures at differant times.. maybe the bird snaching was a croc (wen crocs come out of the water they have water trailing behind them and it makes them look funny.. maybe the croc ate the seal then swam away.. thats why they disapeared... i think its a seal though.. like ebonykrow :)

it could be sevral differant creatures at differant times.. maybe the bird snaching was a croc (wen crocs come out of the water they have water trailing behind them and it makes them look funny.. maybe the croc ate the seal then swam away.. thats why they disapeared... i think its a seal though.. like ebonykrow :)

That's pretty logical actually, and the croc eating the seal theory is really smart.

Great idea man! :tu:

Crocodiles aren't in New Zealand though. Or is it possible that they could swim all the way through the ocean to get there? Then it would make sense.

Well New Zealand did have a native crocoedile species, but it is now extinct. Saltwater crocodiles have been known to travel very long distances across water, reaching New Zealand isn't impossible.

Well New Zealand did have a native crocoedile species, but it is now extinct. Saltwater crocodiles have been known to travel very long distances across water, reaching New Zealand isn't impossible.

Oh makes sense then. And since Leopard Seals travel to New Zealand and Australia. What chances do you think there are that Leopard Seals will get eaten by Saltwater Crocodiles. I mean their in Australia.

Anyway Crocodiles sure know how to swim far neat.

I'm not sure if theirs any evidence of leopard seals being predated by crocodiles, but if they chanced upon each other I certainly believe the croc would make a meal out of a seal (Rhymes are fun :lol:)

I'm not sure if theirs any evidence of leopard seals being predated by crocodiles, but if they chanced upon each other I certainly believe the croc would make a meal out of a seal (Rhymes are fun :lol:)

Oh well just wondering. Although I though Leopard Seals were aggressive and wouldn't they fight back. Seeing they are vicious.

I also know that Great White Sharks will prey on Leopard Seals.

So I guess this lake monster maybe just a traveling leopard seal.

Yeah, I have to admit, I've come to the Leopard Seal thesis side.