Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Unidentified Submerged Objects ~ USOs

karl 12

Found this great resource site which collates a great many credible USO encounters (both military and civilian):

http://www.waterufo.net/menu.htm

It seems that credible USO reports are just as numerous as their airbourne counterparts (if not one in the same) and are also captured,plotted,tracked and correllated on (sometimes multiple) sonar screens.

It also seems they garner just as much covert military interest and enforced/imposed secrecy when sailors and submariners attempt to discuss their experiences.

USO Radar/sonar confirmation documents:

http://www.waterufo.net/radson.php

Heres just one account from the Russian military involving professional submariners and USOs taken by Jaques Vallee:

"Many officers were skeptical, but the reports were hard to deny. They were carefully recorded. On October 7, 1977, a submarine repair ship called the Volga was at sea when nine disk-shaped objects circled it. This lasted eighteen minutes. And all the time the radio, the on‑board communications systems, all the electronic equipment went berserk. The commander, Captain Tarantin, ordered his men: 'I want you to observe this carefully and to remember it! I want you to take pictures and to draw it, so that when we return to the Soviet Union no one will be able to say that your captain was drunk or crazy!'"

"Were such reports made public?"

Azhazha shook his head no. "At the time, naturally, they were classified top secret. Now we have a more open attitude in this country. We are able to talk about such things. On a few rare occasions I did publish some UFO information, but I paid for it under Leonid Brezhnev. The official reaction was very harsh, very negative. My career suffered as a result, and the directorship of a scientific group was taken away from me."

Theres also many historical accounts of unknown objects in or emerging from water- people such as Alexander the great,Christopher Columbus,King George V of England,Thor Heyerdahl (Kon-Tiki raft) and medieval Japanese fishermen have all reported such incidents.

This is a good doc which covers some of the sightings (it also seems the nuclear missile carrying warship the Franklin D Roosevelt has had more than its fair share of USO encounters down the years).

Part 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_qvwO1r4LE

Edited by karl 12

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• karl 12

• Mattshark

• makaya325

• skyeagle409

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

More eyewitness testimony,USO reports and sonar confirmation from highly trained,responsible and credible sailors/submariners/ships captains:

"I was aboard the U.S.S Monrovia APA-31, which was in route to Norfolk, Va., from a six month deployment in the Mediterranean. At approximately 9 PM a large submerged object was sighted on the starboard side, just aft of the stern.

The object was an elongated ovoid in shape, luminescent orange in color, and appeared to have a translucent quality.

The USO matched several course and speed changes, and rendered compass, radar, and radio equipment inoperable.

As quickly as the object seemed to have appeared, it disappeared.

The length of the sighting was approximately 90 minutes and was witnessed by 11001 members of the crew and a contingent of US Marines".

USS Monrovia

"I reported the target to the ship and was informed that the target was also held on the ship's radars, 14 in number, and for us to get a visual sighting if possible. This was impossible because of the clouds. The target retained his relative position for approximately 5 minutes and then departed in excess of one thousand miles per hour.

I was informed that the object was held on ship's radars for approximately seven hours".

Lt. Cmdr. M. C. Davies

"The observation that Ioannis S. Michalos, master of the Dolphin, registered upon his arrival in the port of Ashdod, two days after the event had occurred, revealed that at approximately 8:10 P.M., he, a lookout, and the cook witnessed three bright objects directly above the sea's surface.

At this time the first electromagnetic effects were observed. The captain's personal television, located in his office, stopped working.

Also, during the five minutes of this sighting, the magnetic, compass was 20 degrees further east than normal. The compass was again working correctly at 8:38".

Hellenic M.V. Dolphin 1977

"Then we saw a large blue glow approaching our ship underwater from the stern..and it was pulsing almost like the way embers flicker.

It was sort of oval in shape, but being underwater one could not see a definite shape, except that is was about as wide as it was long and that our ship's length was about the size of its diameter".

USS Ponce

"I was on the command bridge outside on the port side and looking to the lights of Palm Beach in distance just abeam and then I saw the lights under the surface some 30-40 meters away just abeam in the depth of some 10-15 meters. It looked like a big airplane without wings, tail with all the windows lit on it. There were some 10-15 windows, but I did not count them".

Captain of the Swedish vessel GRICHUNA 1970

"Suddenly, the lights went out. There appeared a yellow halo on the water. It turned to an orange, to a fiery red, and then started movement toward us at a fantastic speed, turning to a bluish red around the perimeter. Due to its high speed, its direction of travel, and its size, it looked as though we were going to be engulfed.

It stopped its movement toward us and began moving along with us about 45 degrees off the bow to the right, about 100 feet or so below us and about 200 to 300 feet in front of us. It was not in a level position; it was tilted about 25 degrees.

It stayed in this position for a minute or so. It appeared to be from 200 to 300 feet in diameter, translucent or metallic, shaped like a saucer, a purple-red fiery ring around the perimeter and a frosted white glow around the entire object. The purple-red glow around the perimeter was the same type of glow you get around the commutator of an auto generator when you observe it at night.

When we landed at Argentia (Newfoundland), we were met by intelligence officers. The types of questions they asked us were like Henry Ford asking about the Model T.

You got the feeling that they were putting words in your mouth.

It was obvious that there had been many sightings in the same area, and most of the observers did not let the cat out of the bag openly. When we arrived in the United States, we had to make a full report to Navy Intelligence.

I found out a few months later that Gander radar did track the object in excess of 1800 mph".

Captain of Navy R5D aircraft,February 8,1951.

Crew members and passengers witnessed UFO emerging from the Atlantic ocean

http://www.waterufo.net/underwatersolidlights.php

http://www.waterufo.net/radson.php

A lot of well respected researchers including Gordon Creighton,Timothy Good,John Greenewald Junior and even astronaut Edgar Mitchell have speculated UFOs may have an underground or undersea origin (at least that would rule out the FTL /distance problem).

After reading the links and seeing the sheer number of highly credible military/civilian reports citing fast moving,unknown objects either submerged or emerging from the sea,the underwater origin theory does not seem too outlandish - its also interesting that many incidents report electrical equipment 'going haywire' as is so often reported with many earth and air bound UFO encounters.

Feb. 8, 1960 The Argentinean Navy was tracking two unidentified submerged objects beneath their waters. Then, on their sonar, they observed the underwater objects break apart. As soon as the objects broke apart, they flew out of the water and into the sky. This case caught the attention of the Soviet Union, who sent officials to investigate the incident.

March, 1963 A U.S. Navy submarine exercise was taking place off the coast of Puerto Rice. Sonar indicated an unidentified submerged object traveling well below the U.S. subs. The object was traveling at speeds of over 150 knots, and U.S. personnel were also astonished at the depth at which the USO was moving. The object was over 20,000 feet under the ocean. A typical "crush" depth for a submarine is 7,000 feet, but this object was exceeding the technical capabilities of all subs, even those of today. The USO was tracked for almost four days by the entire carrier crew. It was reported that the USO would propel away, but then stop to rest, allowing for continual tracking by the navy.

Nov. 11, 1972 Reported in the International Press, on Nov. 11, 1972, the Norwegian Navy was tracking a fast moving submarine like object on sonar. A fleet of surface ships with specially equipped sub hunter helicopters was assembled to find the object. On Nov. 20, 1972, the USO was seen visually for the first time. It was described as being a massive silent cigar shaped object. One of the ships promptly fired it's guns and torpedoes at the craft. Some of the other ships who also saw the object fired at it, but the object began to dive. Then the ships started dropping depth charges. After tracking the object for two weeks, the Navy decided to blockade the cove and trap the object. However, after about fourteen or fifteen days, the object disappeared.

http://comingglobalwarwithufos.com/USO%20Articles%20body.htm

Coolness. I wonder what they were.

What, no Shag Harbor incident mention?

There is a huge amount of information about these's USOs on the net now, many people believe there are UFO bases under the water's of the world... :alien:

What, no Shag Harbor incident mention?

Ah yes how could I forget:

http://www.ufoevidence.org/cases/case166.htm

Theres a good book about this incident called Dark object (forget the author) where it states the Shag harbour incident is the 'only' UFO crash actualy documented by government.

I think many debunkers have made the claim that the witness accounts have become more embellished over time but I think its fair to say some 'unknown object' crashed into the sea.

Many (separately located) people claim to have witnessed four orange lights in the sky so, other than the alleged testimony elaborations, the eyewitness reports seem quite consistent

Timothy Good makes a comprehensive account of events in his book

'Need to know -UFOs military and intelligence':

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Tqu7764...R8eelZZcEM48abF

Cheers Karl

There is a huge amount of information about these's USOs on the net now, many people believe there are UFO bases under the water's of the world... :alien:

Indeedy,Timothy Good also speculates there may well be one in the area around the North East edge of Puerto Rico as it has had an unprecedented amount of USO sightings and activity over the years:

Puerto Rico, the Caribbean's so called Island of Enchantment, lies in one corner of the area that has become known as the Bermuda Triangle, renowned for the disappearances of ships and boats, and for sightings of 'flying saucers'. It is here, in this former US. colony, whose politics and defence are still inextricably bound up with America, that much of my research into the USO phenomenon has focused.

A great deal of the strange activity around the island has centred on the 28,000 acres of mountainous rainforest known as El Yunque, on the north-eastern coast.

Jose Orlando Golis, who works for the Puerto Rican government, lives close to El Yunque. 'Many people have seen UFOs flying over the water close to the surface,' he told me. 'Once, at 1am, we saw one with many coloured lights flying next to the sea just over the surface.

'At first we thought it was a boat. It seemed to be dark underneath and had lights - mostly red and blue at another, upper level. Then it angled and moved upwards. It made a humming sound, and seemed to head in the direction of El Yunque.'

Felix Rivera is a diver with an underwater salvage company based near the American Naval Air Station which adjoins El Yunque, one of many U.S. bases on the island. He confirmed to me that UFOs and USOs have frequently been observed often by American military personnel.

'Navy Seals - America's elite special forces - have seen USOs here,' he revealed. 'Some have told me that these things will often come up close to boats, then shoot off. They move too fast underwater to be ours.'

Timothy Good,Unearthly Disclosure

Video:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d65_1191429066

And the Santa Catalina channel/Monterey Bay area of California has also had its fair share of very strange underwater reports:

The Top Twenty California UFO Encounters

http://home.pacbell.net/prestone/ufos-over-cal-excerpt.htm

The first California underwater UFO was on July 7, 1947 when two San Raphael teen-agers saw a “flat glistening object” emerge from the water, fly around and then dive back into the water 400 yards from shore. Throughout this same year, numerous steamers reported a mysterious “undersea mountain” or a “large mass underwater” which kept appearing and disappearing in various locations in the San Francisco Bay and down the coast.

Following this, the sightings came regularly, in 1951, 1954, 1955, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1970, 1980, 1990, 1991, 1993, 2004…the list goes on, most from the Santa Catalina channel. The sightings involve many highly credible witnesses including lifeguards, security guards, law enforcement officials, military officers and countless citizens.

Also this witness testimony from 1971:

MONTEREY, CALIF. - On March 22, 1971, Mr. and Mrs. Ted Baldwin of Marina reported seeing a "mysterious smoking object" plummet into Monterey Bay trailing smoke or exhaust at 5:50 P.M. No planes were missing in the area. Two boats and a plane searched the bay during the night using flares but found no debris of any kind or any indication of anything unusual. This seems to be one of the cases which suggest some connection between UFOs and USOs. Fort noted that there seem to be more cases of objects entering the water than leaving it--an observation which still holds true.

http://www.waterufo.net/item.php?id=740

And this strange 'polished alluminium object shrouded in fog' report from 1957:

http://www.waterufo.net/item.php?id=1041

Cheers Karl

Hi Karl, Glad to see you back,

The uso phenomena has always interested me alot, To date I have never heard a plausible explanation for these objects,

That was quite an interesting clip... not sure about some of teh statistics mentioned but it certainly will leave me looking for more info.. thanks.

wouldn't surprise me if there was Extraterrestrial life living on the sea bed of the deepest part of the ocean. i can't remember where it is or what it is called but no man or machine can reach anywhere near the bottom because of the pressure and if aliens can figure out something that can withstand that pressure then they could easily be living there because if my memory serves right this deepest depth is really really wide and could easily support a few million E.T's.

but if they aren't living there i have no idea why they would be traveling our sea's...you would think they would be more interested in us then some sea life

wouldn't surprise me if there was Extraterrestrial life living on the sea bed of the deepest part of the ocean. i can't remember where it is or what it is called but no man or machine can reach anywhere near the bottom because of the pressure and if aliens can figure out something that can withstand that pressure then they could easily be living there because if my memory serves right this deepest depth is really really wide and could easily support a few million E.T's.

but if they aren't living there i have no idea why they would be traveling our sea's...you would think they would be more interested in us then some sea life

A depth of 7 miles was reached in 1960 by two men.

http://www.extremescience.com/DeepestOcean.htm

Some aliens might be better adapted to sea life. That reminded me of "The Abyss" movie.

Edited by skyeagle409

Hi Karl, Glad to see you back,

The uso phenomena has always interested me alot, To date I have never heard a plausible explanation for these objects,

TFF Thanks for the reply :tu:

I've never heard of any feasible,plausible,mundane or rational explanations as to the nature of these objects either -perhaps this is why many cynical debunkers (not to be confused with open minded sceptics) shy away from this area of research and are reticent to address it.

One things for sure, there exists a great deal of highly credible testimony (and sonar verified evidence) from highly trained submariners,sailors and ships captains well versed in reporting what they see and experience.

It seems its often the case that when unknown objects have been captured,tracked,plotted and corellated on sonar screens travelling huge speeds underwater ,many soldiers/sailors/submariners end up being ordered never to discuss their experiences again by superior officers.

Heres one account where an unknown object was plotted on radar and sonar travelling hundreds of miles per hour as it plunged into the sea and subsequent military orders for witnessess to remain completely silent about the incident:

Quote:

"As the target descended, the two sonar operators aimed their pulses in the general direction of the dropping object. Almost immediately (in a matter of seconds) following loss of radar contact, both sonar operators received audible "pings," indicating a strong echo from a fast-moving submerged target at a range of probably 20,000 yards (roughly 10 miles).

The underwater target appeared to be traveling in the same general azimuth and at the same descent angle (at least initially) as the airborne object, implying that the two unknowns were one and the same! The target's speed was considerably reduced, "down to hundreds of miles per hour" but "still moving damn fast," remarked Preston, and it was now moving along a zigzag path away from the ship. Sonar first picked up the target at its upward horizon, perhaps 50 feet below the ocean surface, and continued to register an echo from the object as it dropped rapidly into deep water

...they were to remain silent about what they had seen. "Gentlemen," the officer said, "we will remember that we have all signed the Official Secrets Act (or words to that effect)."

Although there were no threats, the implication was clear that to divulge anything to anyone concerning the tracking of the UFO would be considered a breach of security.

When Preston came on duty once again at 2400 hours, he said he was surprised to discover that a "spanking new book" had replaced the radar log used the previous morning."

http://www.waterufo.net/item.php?id=174

Cheers Karl

A depth of 7 miles was reached in 1960 by two men.

http://www.extremescience.com/DeepestOcean.htm

SkyEagle ,thanks for the reply,thats a fascinating link -I don't think I'd enjoy having seven miles worth of ocean over my head :no:

Theres another very interesting incident from March, 1963 where American submarines were involved in exercises with a fleet of surface ships one hundred miles off Puerto Rico.

One of the submarines broke off from its assigned course and began pursuing an unidentified object which their instruments told them was travelling in excess of 150 knots at a depth of 20,000 feet.

Optical physicist and ufologist Bruce Maccabee had investigated the incident and stated that such speeds and depths were, and still are, impossible for today’s submersibles (with the crush depth for submarines being about 7,000 feet).

The USO was tracked for four days by the carrier group, with the object moving at impossible speeds before stopping - reports were sent to CINCLANT (Commander-in-Chief Atlantic Command), but no determination was made as to the nature of the unidentified craft.

Other USO reports:

http://www.waterufo.net/bluebook/BBShipsDB2.htm

Cheers Karl

Edited by karl 12

Another incident from late 1969 during operation Deepfreeze in Antartica,in which crew aboard the USS Calcaterra witnessed a 100 ft long submarine shaped object breaking through the ice and fly into the air.

Quote:

"In 1969, sailors aboard the USS Calcaterra witnessed a USO that displayed remarkable properties in the frozen waters of Antarctica. They reported a huge, submarine-shaped object burst from beneath the thick ice and rocket into the sky."

http://ufoexperiences.blogspot.com/2006/12...s-undersea.html

Documentary:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=M3uyybPlbu8

I love the uso phenomenon, I have always wondered what they could be. I think we can rule out a submarine. :yes:

...and Nessie.

Another incident from late 1969 during operation Deepfreeze in Antartica,in which crew aboard the USS Calcaterra witnessed a 100 ft long submarine shaped object breaking through the ice and fly into the air.

Quote:

"In 1969, sailors aboard the USS Calcaterra witnessed a USO that displayed remarkable properties in the frozen waters of Antarctica. They reported a huge, submarine-shaped object burst from beneath the thick ice and rocket into the sky."

http://ufoexperiences.blogspot.com/2006/12...s-undersea.html

Documentary:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=M3uyybPlbu8

I had heard bits and pieces about this incident, Havent seen the documentary, Ill have to come in the morning to see it due to download issues,

Thanks Karl;)

:rofl: wipes goggles off waiting for the skeptics to arrive and de-boggle a great thread. USO`s are most likely something the gov, has known about for years.Lots of WWII reports and documents on the subjects..justDONTEATUS

:rofl: wipes goggles off waiting for the skeptics to arrive and de-boggle a great thread. USO`s are most likely something the gov, has known about for years.Lots of WWII reports and documents on the subjects..justDONTEATUS

:lol: I think skeptics and believers alike find the uso phenmomena interesting and its harder to understand what they are,, So many reports can not all be false,, Right?

:o As in anything in our lifes,we must first know whats right for oueselfs.Remember we are the center of everything we are and think,do ,see ,ect This is where we need to be Honest First.

:lol: I think skeptics and believers alike find the uso phenmomena interesting and its harder to understand what they are,, So many reports can not all be false,, Right?

You've got that right! There's even a report made by Christopher Columbus.