Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Theories about ghosts...

Aanica

I am wondering what you think of this theory by Sigmund Freud/Jung about Ghosts..

linked-imageTheories...

Freud thought that ghosts are actually the visions of people who are afraid of death. In this sense, ghosts would not be real at all but rather a projection of our subconscious mind.

Jung looked for answers in his theory of the collective unconscious, the contents of which can in his view take on almost an autonomous life of their own, being projected or manifested as seemingly outer occurences.

A somewhat plausible theory is that ghosts are telepathic images i.e. a sensitive person would pick up past vibrations from the area they were in and witness an event or person as it appeared many years ago. This would also explain instances where a person sees a loved one at or near the moment of the loved one's death, since the loved one could be unconsciously projecting their thoughts to the receptive person. William James produced an interesting theory based on the idea of spontaneous produced hallucinations caused by extra sensory perception, telepathy and clairvoyance.

Ghosts might also be the result of time slips, if time is nonlinear. An event that happened in the past might be seen briefly in our time because of a fluctuation in time/space.

linked-image

Edited by Aanica

IMO Freud was the nut not the people he screwed up if you read all the stuff he wrote about you have to wonder what was wrong with his mind, His opinion about young men needing to have sex for the first time with their own Mother's was more insane them about anything else i have read he wrote.... :rolleyes:

I don't know why some people do not pass on when they die maybe it's they feel the need to stay here and protect someone or there is bussiness they feel like they need to finish, whatever the reason i'm sure Freud is not the person i want to learn about ghost from, In fact i wouldn't want to learn anything from him.... :lol:

Well I really was not looking for an evaluation of Freud's Oedipus Complex Theory, Which does have a profound basis in Psychoanalysis. I was wondering about this part of his theory...

I find this highly probable..

"A somewhat plausible theory is that ghosts are telepathic images i.e. a sensitive person would pick up past vibrations from the area they were in and witness an event or person as it appeared many years ago. This would also explain instances where a person sees a loved one at or near the moment of the loved one's death, since the loved one could be unconsciously projecting their thoughts to the receptive person. William James produced an interesting theory based on the idea of spontaneous produced hallucinations caused by extra sensory perception, telepathy and clairvoyance.

Ghosts might also be the result of time slips, if time is nonlinear. An event that happened in the past might be seen briefly in our time because of a fluctuation in time/space."

I think that some of the theries you have posted may have base to them yes people who are extra sensitive have a easier time seeing a ghost IMO, But i do not think it's due to the fact that the Ghost is telepathic, Instead people who are sensitive have a easier time seeing something cause their mind and soul is already open to the idea. There are haunting's that are called Recurring hauntings and they take alot less engery to appear, the ghost will do the same thing over and over in the same place each time. So maybe that is a base for you time slip thought's on the subject..

The Crisis or Deathbed haunting is when a person is about to die and other' see them at or arouns the time of death,

The Atmospheric haunting is close to the type you ask about in the sentence :"William James produced an interesting theory based on the idea of spontaneous produced hallucinations caused by extra sensory perception, telepathy and clairvoyance"

This is due to a residual or replay haunting, these are typically seen in only one location repeating a certain action again and again, usually something attached to a traumatic event.

But i don't see where Freud's Theories fit into this at all, I was reading this line again """Theories...

Freud thought that ghosts are actually the visions of people who are afraid of death. In this sense, ghosts would not be real at all but rather a projection of our subconscious mind."""

And no i do not think this is the case at all IMO...

Edited by isis-999

Its not a ghost being telepathic...its The Ghosts being a Telepathic IMAGE, resulting from past vibrations from the area they were in. I do think this is a highly plausible explanation.

This would also tie the likely hood of projection of telepathic images at or near the time of death to the "sensitive" that receives it. What i do like about this theory is it incorporates extra sensory perception, telepathy and clairvoyance, With the reasonable explanation of spontaneous produced hallucinations which to me is a very sound theory.

Of course the time slip theory is with the notion that time is non-linear.

I do believe Ghosts could very well be a projection of our minds especially in stressful situations that would cause a surge of mental energy, even to the point of creation of thought forms resembling ghosts.

Its not a ghost being telepathic...its The Ghosts being a Telepathic IMAGE, resulting from past vibrations from the area they were in. I do think this is a highly plausible explanation.

This would also tie the likely hood of projection of telepathic images at or near the time of death to the "sensitive" that receives it. What i do like about this theory is it incorporates extra sensory perception, telepathy and clairvoyance, With the reasonable explanation of spontaneous produced hallucinations which to me is a very sound theory.

Of course the time slip theory is with the notion that time is non-linear.

I do believe Ghosts could very well be a projection of our minds especially in stressful situations that would cause a surge of mental energy, even to the point of creation of thought forms resembling ghosts.

Well, Freud was a genius, so that could be it. Now, since you tend to believe it, don't you feel you are conditioning yourself?Does this theory only seems sound for you as far as ghosts go? I hope you are not that restrictive, cause that could as well be it for everything you have claimed to glimpse on a monthly basis I would say.

'juste detracté' date='Feb 1 2009,

Well, Freud was a genius

Yes he was

so that could be it

Could be What?

Now, since you tend to believe it

I said highly probable theory, that is not believing it, that is considering it as a reasonable theory, this is logical to think in the abstract.

Abstract

don't you feel you are conditioning yourself?

I "condition" myself to learn in a abstract manor is that what your referring to?

Does this theory only seems sound for you as far as ghosts go?

That is the what this theory is about why do you think it might apply somewhere else?

I hope you are not that restrictive

Again, read the post... ^_^ this is a question about Freud's theory

"A somewhat plausible theory is that ghosts are telepathic images i.e. a sensitive person would pick up past vibrations from the area they were in and witness an event or person as it appeared many years ago. This would also explain instances where a person sees a loved one at or near the moment of the loved one's death, since the loved one could be unconsciously projecting their thoughts to the receptive person. William James produced an interesting theory based on the idea of spontaneous produced hallucinations caused by extra sensory perception, telepathy and clairvoyance. "

cause that could as well be it for everything you have claimed to glimpse on a monthly basis I would say.

This has me curious what do you mean? I don't claim to glimpse anything on a monthly basis, other than you following me everywhere, I do love a fan club but I like guys...OK

If you would like to discuss this Theory I do welcome that,but as far as a reference to me personally I wonder why you ask?

Freud was brilliant in many respects :yes:

yet Freud also founded the Oedipus complex

(still reading) :geek:

edit: I see that was already mentioned :P

Edited by BorisTheSpider2

This has me curious what do you mean? I don't claim to glimpse anything on a monthly basis, other than you following me everywhere, I do love a fan club but I like guys...OK

and it's not just because your cute neether ;)

you are entitled not to state your stance on demons in regard to this theory because you don't want to believe in ghost, but you do want to believe in demons. Ghost wandering around don't fit the bible( heaven or hell or yet lymbo, but not earth!!!), so there must be a rational explaination for them, whereas demons are in the bible and fit everything you have been taught, so its ok that they are paranormal beings. You know, I like your input, but in relation with all your earlier posts, it is just not serious. Be consistant, or acknowledge before hand your paradigme shift.

I am wondering what you think of this theory by Sigmund Freud/Jung about Ghosts..

Jung looked for answers in his theory of the collective unconscious, the contents of which can in his view take on almost an autonomous life of their own, being projected or manifested as seemingly outer occurrences.

Jung ascribed to the the perception of persecution being externalized as specific archetypes as tormentors (its been a while )

interesting thoughts :tu:

Jung looked for answers in his theory of the collective unconscious, the contents of which can in his view take on almost an autonomous life of their own, being projected or manifested as seemingly outer occurrences.

Jung ascribed to the the perception of persecution being externalized as specific archetypes as tormentors (its been a while )

interesting thoughts :tu:

I though so myself, well put Mr. Spider2..

you are entitled not to state your stance on demons in regard to this theory because you don't want to believe in ghost, but you do want to believe in demons. Ghost wandering around don't fit the bible

au contraire

the word "ghost" is substituted by "spirit" in the bible in many instances and wouldn't petitioning saints and the sightings of them not to mention the Blessed Mother fall into the category of earthly apparition?

the bible discourages using wizards and oracles (psychics/mediums) to contact them as some interpretation claim, depending on if it's the king James version or not but the ghosts/spirits in the bible are clearly prevalent

Lev. 19:31 Do not resort to ghosts and spirits, nor make yourselves unclean by seeking them out. I am the Lord your God

Lev. 20:6 I will set my face against the man who wantonly resorts to ghosts and spirits

Lev. 20:27 (king James version) A man also or woman that hath a familiar spirit, or that is a wizard, shall surely be put to death; they shall stone them with stones; their blood shall be upon them.

Luke 24:37 verse 39 Behold my hands and my feet, that is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

I could go on really :yes:

( heaven or hell or yet lymbo, but not earth!!!), so there must be a rational explaination for them, whereas demons are in the bible and fit everything you have been taught, so its ok that they are paranormal beings. You know, I like your input, but in relation with all your earlier posts, it is just not serious. Be consistant, or acknowledge before hand your paradigme shift.

I see complete objectivity in her POV actually :yes: and "paradigm shift" notification is not something I consider incumbent upon her to acknowledge as we all know that these conversations can drift on and off topic rather easily thus requiring a modicum of discretion on our part right?

:)

edit: spelling :D

au contraire

the word "ghost" is substituted by "spirit" in the bible in many instances and wouldn't petitioning saints and the sitings of them not to mention the Blessed Mother fall into the category of earthly apparition?

the bible discourages using wizards and oracles (psychics/mediums) to contact them as some interpretation claim, depending on if it's the king James version or not but the ghosts/spirits in the bible are clearly prevalent

Lev. 19:31 Do not resort to ghosts and spirits, nor make yourselves unclean by seeking them out. I am the Lord your God

Lev. 20:6 I will set my face against the man who wantonly resorts to ghosts and spirits

Lev. 20:27 (king James version) A man also or woman that hath a familiar spirit, or that is a wizard, shall surely be put to death; they shall stone them with stones; their blood shall be upon them.

Luke 24:37 verse 39 Behold my hands and my feet, that is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

I could go on really :yes:

I see complete objectivity in her POV actually :yes: and "paradigm shift" notification is not something I consider incumbent upon her to acknowledge as we all know that these conversations can drift on and off topic rather easily thus requiring a modicum of discretion on our part right?

I know you could go on. Those scriptures don't explain what a ghost is though. who are they?Why are they here? Should'nt they be in hell, or heaven, or lymbo. As far as I'm concerned, I have a very open mind regarding ghosts, demons and spirit guides, but still I keep some consistency with my correlations and everything has got to make sense altogether.You can't quite catch a grasp of what I'm saying here because you have'nt read what I have from Aanica.

I know you could go on. Those scriptures don't explain what a ghost is though. who are they?Why are they here? Should'nt they be in hell, or heaven, or lymbo. As far as I'm concerned, I have a very open mind regarding ghosts, demons and spirit guides, but still I keep some consistency with my correlations and everything has got to make sense altogether.You can't quite catch a grasp of what I'm saying here because you have'nt read what I have from Aanica.

I'm only basing this on what I've seen here.

and what I do see is references to ghosts in the bible that you vociferously denied and by attempting to convoluted this inconsistency on your part, I could construe this as a lack of cohesion by yourself :yes: and by "lymbo" do you mean "purgatory"? and if this is your contention, perhaps it is here on earth, thus making that a moot point as well.

I have seen enough in my life to believe the proverbial "hell" is here on earth.

I'm only basing this on what I've seen here.

and what I do see is references to ghosts in the bible that you vociferously denied and by attempting to convoluted this inconsistency on your part, I could construe this as a lack of cohesion by yourself :yes: and by "lymbo" do you mean "purgatory"? and if this is your contention, perhaps it is here on earth, thus making that a moot point as well

I have seen enough in my life to believe the proverbial "hell" is here on earth.

This conversation is'nt directed to you, right now I could'nt carless of what you believe earth is, I'll be glad to listen to yours in another discussion. ghost as being human being spirits don't fit the bible, that's what I meant.

I find Taoist beliefs to be interesting. Taoist beliefs can be tied back to Lao Tzu. Chinese philosopher, a contemporary of Confucius in feudal China. They believe the dead haunt us because they are "hungry" for various things that they had or wanted in life. While a Catholic priest might break out the holy water and a crucifix to remove a evil haunting and Taoist priest will use a pack cigarettes, or whatever your departed soul might desire.

If you want a twisted yet really entertaining take on Taoist beliefs about the dead go watch the anime called "bleach" bleach

The Taoist religions are Shinto, Taoism and Confucianism. Shinto is one of the biggest religions in Japan hence all the references to Taoist beliefs in their anime. Bleach deals with death gods who harvest lost souls called "hollows" or hungry ghosts. The main character who is a "shinigami" or death god in English, spends most of his time fighting hollows with his Taoist energy field or "rietsu" which means spiritual energy or pressure when translated to English. Taoist energy theory believes that there are streams of energy that go through the body, and the characters of this anime use their powerful reietsu to combat hungry ghosts.

I would like to go visit the Hungry Ghost festival in Fen Shui............

blatently stolen from here

Hungry Ghost festival is an annual occasion that is taken very seriously in Taoist Feng Shui. This festival falls on the 7th month of the lunar New Year, which starts somewhere between July and August for one full lunar month. During this month the gates of hell are opened to free the hungry ghosts who then wander to seek food on Earth. Some even think that the ghosts would seek revenge on those who had wronged them in their lives. The reason why the Chinese celebrate this festival is to remember their dead family members and pay tribute to them. They also feel that offering food to the deceased appeases them and wards off bad luck.

Rituals and Prayer Celebrations:

The dead would return to visit their living relatives during the 7th month of the Chinese Lunar year and thus the living people would prepare sumptuous meals for the hungry ghosts. The Chinese feel that they have to satisfy the ghosts in order to get good fortune and luck in their lives. During this festival, the Chinese offer prayers to the deceased relatives, burn paper money, paper houses, paper transportation, paper accessories and joss sticks massively to their ancestors as well as wandering spirits in front of their homes. Giving the ghost such necessities would enable them to live comfortably when they go back their own world. In Hong Kong, Malaysia and Singapore, it is a common sight to see entertaining Chinese Opera shows performed on outdoor stages in many neighborhoods. These events are always held at night. Such entertainment would please those wandering ghosts that comes to earth once a year.

Taboos to Follow:

1. Avoid swimming during the 7th month. It is believed that those previously drowned evil ghost might cause you to drown in the swimming pool. Such ghost need to find victims in order for them to be go for rebirth.

2. Children and young adults are also advised to return home early and not to wander around alone at night. This belief is due to the reason that the wandering ghosts can possess children easily.

3. Avoid moving into new homes and opening new businesses this month as it is considered inauspicious and bad luck on new ventures.

4. Avoid getting married during this month because couples will have bad ending. Some bad ghost may cast a bad spell on couples during their wedding.

5. Avoid going for jungle trekking and going on camping trips as chances of injuries, possession and death are high.

6. Drive very carefully during this month to avoid accidents, as there may be many wandering spirits who died of accidents previously that are searching for next victims so that they could be reincarnated.

Edited by cpjason

That's is interesting Jason, I did not know you were into Taoism, I like the blatantly stolen from.. :P

Here is one you might enjoy also blatantly stolen from...:)

HERE

"Often misunderstood or misinterpreted, Tibetan demonology is tightly integrated into buddhism and the main local branches.

Nevertheless, the richness and scope of the still-know iconography is a living proof that it was the pre-buddhist Bön-Po tradition who gave birth to all those terrifying monsters.

Today considered as “angry” form of divinities and pure emptiness, they were previously fearsome demons and gods who ruled those mysterious heights of the planet."

Have you been studying my posts? that's great :wub: I would love to debate them with you,to which do you refer?

Posted (IP: Staff) ·

Posts removed

I've removed a number of posts containing nothing but bickering, juste detracté and Aanica please don't turn this thread in to your personal battleground, take any personal issues you might have to PMs.

Thank you.

Posts removed

I've removed a number of posts containing nothing but bickering, juste detracté and Aanica please don't turn this thread in to your personal battleground, take any personal issues you might have to PMs.

Thank you.

Thanks Saru, no problem here...ever

Have you been studying my posts? that's great :wub: I would love to debate them with you,to which do you refer?

I have a good memory. I did read somewhere that you used to see shadow people on a monthy basis, that you got a run with demons, that you had once NDE, that you converted to catholicisme as a consequence of a deviant life-style, all of which are fine with me, but then you come up with this statement:

How can you happen to believe that after all you have been through, this feels like you use this forum as daily thought outlet, where is your credibility.

I brought once an input regarding ghost as being earthbound spirits due to an addiction to material things, and you were ridiculizing it, and yet you congradulate Jason with an input that is very close to mine. Don't pretend to have only one word. You have proven to be inconsistent, I did'nt need to dissect all your posts to figure that.

Edited by juste detracté

juste detracté' date='Feb 1 2009, 06:27 PM' post='2724784']

I have a good memory. I did read somewhere that you used to see shadow people on a monthy basis,

I guess you memory was wrong, I have seen them all my life...I have always stated that..

that you got a run with demons

Nope..never seen one..oppression is what I refer to..

that you had once NDE,

Yes...I did this year

that you converted to catholicisme as a consequence of a deviant life-style,

Yes I did..

all of which are fine with me,

Awe Thanks...

but then you come up with this statement:

I have to guess you are talking about Freud's theory?

How can you happen to believe that after all you have been through,

I can evolve my understanding of the paranormal as anyone who continues to study it should, this is not an abandonment of anything I believe, I gain knowledge and understanding on my own and with highly qualified mentors. I believe anyone who follows anything paranormal should strive for all knowledge and understanding use logic, eliminate or De-Bunk some will call it. So when all else that can be explained is cleared, you are left with the real study of what cannot be explained. Then begins real knowledge and a new level of acceptance with people that are involved deeply into what really is interesting as far as paranormal goes.

this feels like you use this forum as daily thought outlet, where is your credibility.

:) All over the place!

I brought once an input regarding ghost as being earthbound spirits due to an addiction to material things, and you were ridiculizing it

Never happened you find it and post it, not my style to do that..

and yet you congradulate Jason with an input that is very close to mine

No Jason is on a totally different level than you...he presents his points well thought out and referenced, nothing like yours...

Don't pretend to have only one word. You have proven to be inconsistent,

I have proven only that I am logical and concise...

I did'nt need to dissect all your posts to figure that.

That's because you cant...:)

I am hoping you will make a post that suits your interest so we can discuss

I think like in psychoanalysis, Freud's ideas were a good start, Jung's ideas refined them but still miss the mark, but are probably headed in the right direction. Ghosts seem to behave *too* much like we living people think a ghost should behave - they fit our gross understanding and primitive model too closely for their nature to be what the majority of people believe about ghosts. I believe ghost phenomena exist (as well as demon, alien etc) but I don't believe these things are much differentiated in reality, and while some appear to function more actively than simply being a psychic echo or etheric playback, I do not believe these things to be truly sentient with free will - I think they're activated and fueled by the percipient, with poltergeist cases as extreme examples.