Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Alien abduction or sleep paralysis ?

UM-Bot

abduction.jpg
About once a week, Jean-Christophe Terrillon wakes up and senses the presence of a threatening, evil being beside his bed. Terror ripples through him, and he tries to move or call out.

But he is paralyzed, unable to raise an arm or make a sound. His ears ring, a weight presses down on his chest, and he has to struggle for breath.

''I feel an intense pressure in my head, as if it's going to explode,'' said Mr. Terrillon, a Canadian physicist doing research in Japan.

arrow3.gifView: Full Article | arrow3.gifSource: New York Times

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sammeh

• burt_ie

• walky

• xris

Top Posters In This Topic

i use to have the same thing 1per week wen i was living in portugal now im back in france and just happened 3 times in 2years(sorry for my bad inglish)

PS my name is jean christophe faria monteiro

I've had sleep paralysis once. Or twice - the second one is hard to distinguish from sleep paralysis or a dream.

But the first time, I was sleeping on my side facing the wall. And upon the wall and above me were coloured orbs, floating up, down, to the side. I was also vaguely aware that the room was both dark and bright, as if split along the wall. With the brightness coming from the window.

I remember waking up a while later and thinking back on it, it's quite scary when you realise your semi-aware and unable to move a limb.

It's a pretty interesting phenomenon.

I had SP twice when I was younger. It was a very scary experience.

I've experienced SP dozens of times, most of the incidents happened when i was a teenager. The first time was really intense and scared the crap out of me. Sometimes I can see my surroundings clearly, but other times it feels more surreal and dream like.

I suffer from sleep paralysis badly. I often get it a few times a week. I have all sorts of images and feelings some of which have been described here. I often seen lots of bright neon lights and have a buzzing sensation in my head which gets louder and more intense the longer it happens. Sometimes I see a figure in my room or can feel them and they are usual sitting on my chest or body holding me down or strangling me. Other times I feel like I am being dragged away and once I even felt my back being touched by lots of hands while I was lying face down. I often cannot breath and try to call out for help with no sounds or muffled. Sometimes I feel like I am being squashed and if I don't wake up soon I am going to die!

I have had this since a child from an early age and I am now 28! My partner has got used to it now and just nudges me to wake me up. The first time it happened they s**t themselves! LOL

I don't know what causes it or why. Through the years I thought I was being abducted by aliens or had an evil spirit tormenting me in my sleep. Sometimes I have bad doses of it where it happens 3 or 4 times a night for a few days in row. Touch wood the last few years have been less severe but I still get them now.

All I know is they frighten the life out of me....and I put it down to having an over-active imagination! :)

Edited by burt_ie

I still often get SP, at least once a month it will happen, but usually a few times a month and sometimes night after night I will experience it, it use to scare me at first, but now i can break free of sleep paralyse by willing up all my energy to shake my head from side to side as fast as I can, most times that works and I "wake up"

the first time I remember it happening it felt as thought my body was floating, and my head was ringing with intense pain, (is it usual to sometimes get visions while SP or would they still just be dreams?)

I ask this because It felt as though my awareness was somewhere else and I was witnessing a horrific event.

when I was awake again I felt completely disoriented and had a killing headache

Another time SP happened to me, I was resting on a sofa at a friends place drifting in and out of sleep, then all of a sudden it took hold of me, I could still see all my surroundings (including my friend Pete), I saw his body stiffen, as he appeared to sense something was happening behind him, and slowly he turned around and the moment his eyes fell on my face he went deathly pale and freaked out. I have tried talking to him about it, but he usually goes quiet and refuses to talk about it.

-Sam

but now i can break free of sleep paralyse by willing up all my energy to shake my head from side to side as fast as I can, most times that works and I "wake up"

-Sam

That is exactly how I wake myself up sometimes...and if I can force myself to move. Its hard as I can only move small amounts at a time and it takes ages for me to do it. I sometimes try to get myself to fall out of bed too by moving my legs over the edge of the bed as that wakes me up. I even bumped my head doing that a few times.

I have had a few experiences of witnessing a horrific event too and also had an experience when I fell asleep on a friends sofa...I could see him picking me up and carrying me out of the front door with his dog following, he was telling his dog to stop jumping up and it was if he was taking me to hospital.

I had SP last night as it goes. Luckily my other half give me a nudge when I started making noises.

I know my father suffers from SP too.

Edited by burt_ie

That is exactly how I wake myself up sometimes...and if I can force myself to move. Its hard as I can only move small amounts at a time and it takes ages for me to do it. I sometimes try to get myself to fall out of bed too by moving my legs over the edge of the bed as that wakes me up. I even bumped my head doing that a few times.

I have had a few experiences of witnessing a horrific event too and also had an experience when I fell asleep on a friends sofa...I could see him picking me up and carrying me out of the front door with his dog following, he was telling his dog to stop jumping up and it was if he was taking me to hospital.

I had SP last night as it goes. Luckily my other half give me a nudge when I started making noises.

I know my father suffers from SP too.

I have also tried moving my legs to edge of the bed, but instead of waking up I was plunged into an even more horrifying hallucination! My feet were searching for the ground but could find nothing, then it felt as though I was floating/falling and I passed through my door... Something was waiting for me on the other side and I would die a different way each time, then I would be back in bed with the SP again and I would try and get out again, Every time something different and even worse would happen. At the time I was so sure it was real, but with a sane mind came to the conclusion it was intense hallucinations. sort of freaked me out.

The chance of getting Sleep Paralyse is less likely for me when i go to sleep on my side, its more common if I'm laying on my back.

-Sam

The chance of getting Sleep Paralyse is less likely for me when i go to sleep on my side, its more common if I'm laying on my back.

Exactly the same as me!! I always seem to get SP if I drift off to sleep on laying on my back..I can feel myself going off to sleep nicely and I can hear a strange buzzing sound/sensation in my head. Its gets more intense very quickly and I know what is happening so have to try and wake up and sleep on my side.

I also get that repeating pattern where I think I have woken myself up from SP only to find out that I am still asleep and it happens again and again getting more intense each time.

I often get spooked out by it and find after a bad episode I have to physically get out of bed and go and sit in the living room for 10-15 minutes before getting back into bed.

I am so happy speaking to someone who suffers the same as me, it sounds like we have very similar experiences. I never really talk about it to anyone.

Exactly the same as me!! I always seem to get SP if I drift off to sleep on laying on my back..I can feel myself going off to sleep nicely and I can hear a strange buzzing sound/sensation in my head. Its gets more intense very quickly and I know what is happening so have to try and wake up and sleep on my side.

I also get that repeating pattern where I think I have woken myself up from SP only to find out that I am still asleep and it happens again and again getting more intense each time.

I often get spooked out by it and find after a bad episode I have to physically get out of bed and go and sit in the living room for 10-15 minutes before getting back into bed.

I am so happy speaking to someone who suffers the same as me, it sounds like we have very similar experiences. I never really talk about it to anyone.

It seems different people experience Sleep Paralyse in many different ways, yet there seems to groups which experience the same sort of SP, or perhaps its just our own ways of looking at it that makes is so similar.

though for me, instead of it being a buzzing sound it more so resembles the likes of a fire engine or car alarm, repeating all the while getting louder and more intense until it causes physical pain to my head.

I really should try the get out of bed and take a break after SP, but I usually feel so physicaly drained of all energy after it happens all i can do is lay in bed and mull over the events that just took place in my head, generally slipping back into yet another SP.

I agree! this is the first time I have talked to someone who experiences such a similar SP that I do. tell me though, what about the visions? do you sometimes get intense visions that seem to be more then just a dream? that's were it gets a bit more.. weirder then just being SP, for me any way.

-Sam

I agree! this is the first time I have talked to someone who experiences such a similar SP that I do. tell me though, what about the visions? do you sometimes get intense visions that seem to be more then just a dream? that's were it gets a bit more.. weirder then just being SP, for me any way.

I remember there was one time when living in my old flat and I had a bad episode of SP I could hear someone in the corridor outside my front door. I was desperately trying to wake myself up as I was panicking. The next thing I knew I could hear the front door being fiddled with as is someone was trying to brake in. Eventually someone had gained entry, I could see and hear them opening the door and then they were in my bedroom with me...I could see a figure in my room. I could have sworn it was real at the time and it frighted the life out of me.

There have been many times when I have had really disturbing visions too and one or two when I am watching something else unfold and I am powerless to stop it.

I am just on my way to work now this morning so I will pop back later and elaborate a bit more.

I remember there was one time when living in my old flat and I had a bad episode of SP I could hear someone in the corridor outside my front door. I was desperately trying to wake myself up as I was panicking. The next thing I knew I could hear the front door being fiddled with as is someone was trying to brake in. Eventually someone had gained entry, I could see and hear them opening the door and then they were in my bedroom with me...I could see a figure in my room. I could have sworn it was real at the time and it frighted the life out of me.

There have been many times when I have had really disturbing visions too and one or two when I am watching something else unfold and I am powerless to stop it.

I am just on my way to work now this morning so I will pop back later and elaborate a bit more.

Interesting indeed, that would be enough to frighten me, I'll tell you one of the things that i have seen, it may not be so intense, but to me it is still a clear memory.

I was taking a nap on the futon in the front lounge room, when I heard the sound of menacing laughter and a infant child crying, it seemed normal at the time.. well sort of. as my young nephew was visiting and he cried a lot.

It was when I saw a tall dark shadowy figure carrying a small child (who wasn't my nephew) come walking around the corner and peer in at me, laughing all the more wildly, the figure then dashed toward me as I was laying in a half comatose state, it was then that my body became paralysed, It was as though the being induced it upon me.

Still with the child in its arms and laughing insanely the shadowy apparition climbed up onto the futon were I was laying unable to move or speak and started taunting me, jumping all around my body and moving its feet away from my face just before physical impact. After it had finished jumping around and the child was now laughing with the thing..

it then got down on all four limbs kneeling with its face above mine, any defining features seemed vacant, a shadowy almost smoky body with a blank nothingness for a face. I have no idea what it was doing to me but at that point my head was ringing and I could feel my body shaking violently.

Then I heard my sisters voice from the kitchen and her foot steps approaching the room, at that point the dark smoky figure grabbed the child and bolted out through the front wall and was gone and I was released from my SP.

she came in and sat down next to me and said I looked really pale, I told her one of my "freaky episodes" just happened and she covered her ears yelling so she didn't have to hear about it lol

-sam

That sounds terrifying! I would have been really freaked out by that!

Over the years I have had lots of visions. Most of them seemed to be dominated by a body less creature with arms. I can remember its eyes mostly and the strange look it used to give me, like a glassy staring look. I can vividly remember the first time I seen this vision, I was young and living a home with my parents. It was more of a dream than SP and I was in bed sitting up and this creature was right in front of me! Behind it was a blinding array of colour lights swirling around really fast. The best way to describe it would be like the photographs you see of lights where the image is blurred and the light effect goes across the image. All that was going on along with this loud noise....I was fighting with this thing, out hands were locked together and it was like I was trying to push him back into this light while he was trying to get out of it!

Over the years this thing was always a part of my SP. As I could feel myself slipping into SP I could always feel him as if he had jumped on to the bed. Along with the noise and lights he would always be sitting on my chest or body, holding me down while trying to suffocate me or strangle me. Sometimes he would be clawing at my arms or face and I could really feel the pain. I can remember panicking lots and trying to move to fight back and call for help.

As this continued I was always frightened as a child of going to sleep as I knew what would happen. many times I woke up screaming and crying and running into my parents room. I also remember once when this creature filled up my entire room! He was huge! his eyes came up from beside the bed and there were lights everywhere. I am getting goose bumps even now just thinking about it and its sending shivers down my spine!

Luckily over the last 5 or so years I have seen less of this image but now it has to progressed to shadowy figures a bit like you described. I often hear footsteps running around the bed and can sometimes see the shadows moving around and can feel them coming up close to my face. I try to keep my eyes closed as much as possible now because I know if I open them and see something I will panic even more.

Another recent vision I had was when I had already been asleep for a few hours, something must have disturbed me and I woke. As I was drifting back off I suddenly realized something wasn't right. The next thing I knew were dozens of arms all reaching out at me from complete blackness, hands madly pulling and clawing at me trying to get a hold of me, and lots of screaming and shouting. It really freaked me out that night, I got out of bed and was to frighted to go back to sleep & spent the rest of the night in the living room shaking and smoking!

The one thing that really creeps me out is I don't know why all this is happening? Is it me? Or is it something else?

Edited by burt_ie

This article is a great description of SP!!

I had SP as a pre-teen. My mother called it "Night Terrors". It lasted for a year or so, about once a month. I rarely get it anymore (WHEW) but I have to say it is a horrible feeling.

I can totally understand why people would think they were either abducted by aliens or haunted by evil things. It is a truly scary experience.

abduction.jpg

About once a week, Jean-Christophe Terrillon wakes up and senses the presence of a threatening, evil being beside his bed. Terror ripples through him, and he tries to move or call out.

But he is paralyzed, unable to raise an arm or make a sound. His ears ring, a weight presses down on his chest, and he has to struggle for breath.

''I feel an intense pressure in my head, as if it's going to explode,'' said Mr. Terrillon, a Canadian physicist doing research in Japan.

arrow3.gifView: Full Article | linked-imageSource: New York Times

Well, my friend, you're being exposed to "Presence". Of these things you chase away, as in my area they try to detect them, with SETI quips.

They are letting you know they're there.

Unit Fall-Over Blank-Die Box car 6X6, I'm afraid I've become aware the outlook looks grim.

Have a nice day!

I can identify with almost everyone who has comented on this .i suffered through terrifying sp for maybe ten years. things you guys had happen to you happened to me too.then five years ago i talked with an older lady that i worked with and told her all about it.she frequents web sites similar to this one and decided to research what was happening to me.the conclusion she came to was that some sort of entitiy or entities was to blame.she said that some how they can cause the horribly frightening things that cause us to be terrified.because somehow they can can feed off of the energy that is put out buy us being terrified.and that the solution is to coach yourself into dealing with the fact that its going to happen and when it does just observe.just kinda stand back and observe everything that is happening.and by coaching yourself mentaly you will become more likely to realize during the sp that its not real.once you teach yourself to observe and once you teach yourself that its not real.eventually it will stop.it took maybe five more times of me havin sp.before i was able to know to observe and that it wasnt real, in my sleep.once i wasnt afraid it stoped.now it may happen to me once a year,i start havin some weird stuff happening and i just kinda blow it off and it stops almost as soon as it starts.i hope this info helps someone.it seemed pretty strange to me ,but at the time i was willing to try anything.i was scared to sleep ,seeing a shrink ,takin pills and now im fine.hopefully you guys get some use out of this info cause it did me a world of good.

I can see how that kind of works. Over the last couple of years when I get SP I know in my head now its not real, and I don't panic or get as scared as used to, I just get more annoyed that it is happening again! Even though I still get them regularly (had one again last night) they are nowhere near as bad as they were 5 years ago.

As for them being entities? What sort of entities? Ghosts? Spirits?

sorry have been rather busy lately not much time to come on here and share my stories :)

The evil presence, such a weird phenomena. is there any reports of SP when someone feels a angelic / holy presence??

also can sleep paralyse be linked to out of body experiences (OBE) ? I know that's getting a bit comic but I like to keep an open mind.

luckily i haven't experiences SP for a week or 2 now :)

I can tell now when it is SP and most times I am not so scared, a lot of the time actually there isnt any presence of an evil entity, but just the paralyse and hard breathing, and a slight state of panic and surprise. If I am prepared for an SP and if its not to scary I like to try and adventure into it deeper to see were it will lead me, until sometimes I become over whelmed and then most likely pass out, but other times I seem to slip into a steady un-bothered hallucination were its almost as though I can control my own dreams. but that is only super rare that it might happen.

My first SP that i am aware of took me to a whole new level of.. fear maybe?

I was taking an afternoon nap, I wasn't quiet asleep yet, but my body felt motionless yet paralysed, and it felt as though I was hovering above my bed and then sucked through time and space. (that sounds lame but its the best i can describe the sensation).

I then found myself in a dry arid surrounding, witnessing something terrible, It was a desert village, much like the current war zone in Iraq, and there were civilians fleeing with deathly fear in their eyes, all running towards me and past me, on the horizon there was a black fire, and three giant black shadowy figures that were chained to the earth, yet breaking free and reeking havoc on the land and its people, some of the people were in white full body suits with what looked like the built in gas mask and there was underground labs and factories, were man and misshapen beasts alike were swarming out onto the surface. Then the last of the three demonic shadows broke free from the chains and the sky turned black, by this time my head was ringing with intense pain and I could feel myself convulsing and sweating heatedly.

suddenly I broke free from the episode exhausted and feeling weak and my whole body was in pain, I have been haunted by that memory up until today, and even more so recently while watching the news I saw the exact same scene take place, minus the ominous shadowy beasts and the other spiritual creatures. Mind you this happened over 4 years ago before the war broke out.

That gave me quiet the shock. and still puzzles me.

-Sam

It happen to me six times for now.That feeling was awful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was awake and paralysed totaly!!! I felt presance of two or tree persons in room,they talk somethink,i don't know what.

I start prey surahs(i'm muslim by the way) in my mind and for 10-15 seconds or less( i think so) again gain control of my body.

But that is not alliens or witches,that is genies,they live with us.

We are made from earth and they from fire.

There a good and bad people,also good and bad genies.

Ours eyes can't seen them,but camera can.

They look similar like humans.

This is my first comment on unexplained-mysteries.com

Edited by buco

Funnily enough, I just had another SP last night!

it happened suddenly but I seemed prepared for it somehow, and there wasn't any evil presence every thing felt good, every thing seemed sort of light and fuzzy, and I remembered posting on here about trying to explore deeper into the SP, so I did. every thing seems vague now, but when I broke out I was still having trouble breathing. It was odd. the first time that SP has been totally fearless.

I guess maybe that answers my own question previously about any one feeling a happy presence. :)

-Sam

• 1 month later...

In the full article, the first thing the author states is that he/she could correlate a 17% of people with sleep paralysis had undergone abuse.

I wonder if the sleep paralysis with correlated with anything else besides abuse. This is not NOT meaningful at all until you are open minded to look for other correlations. Correlations with:

education

profession

level of happiness/unhappiness

level of self esteem

race

income bracket

political affiliation( that's a good one! )

how many tomatoes they ate by month.. You get the idea!

What would be significant to know would be if that 17% (if it was calculated correctly) is normal among the people NOT EXPERIENCING PARALYSIS and a sample of PEOPLE INDEPENDENTLY OF PARALYSIS OR NOT (that would be control sgroup/reference) to determine if it is somewhat significant in the context of sleep paralysis. I don't know where the 17% comes from (1/31 is just 3 %)-- unless someone is juggling the numbers.

So, that statement for me means nothing unless I can understand if other factors could be assessed I would like people to ask more questions when scientist come up with "conclusions". I am a scientist with no agenda. I have suffered sleep paralysis since my early teens. Never seen an alien, but have my own theory about other "dimensions" including the dimension of the dead. I have seen and talked to my deceased father in that state and other creatures, not necessarily from outer space, probably OTHER SPACES. And some, I can live with that, could be imagined. We have to be open to other things, since truth is always complex and not easy to grasp. Mi niece, though, saw a little transparent alien with 4 fingers floating in her garage on arriving home late one night with her 8 year old -- WHO SAW FIRST and noticed the 4 fingers. We live in strange days.

Ok i had them as a child and a few more recently and yes they scare the ship out of you, waking up wet with perspiration and freaked out for days...but i never ever thought they where real experiences..Those who have these abductiomn "dreams" never ever think they are dreams..we must respect their judgement..

sorry have been rather busy lately not much time to come on here and share my stories :)

The evil presence, such a weird phenomena. is there any reports of SP when someone feels a angelic / holy presence??

also can sleep paralyse be linked to out of body experiences (OBE) ? I know that's getting a bit comic but I like to keep an open mind.

luckily i haven't experiences SP for a week or 2 now :)

I can tell now when it is SP and most times I am not so scared, a lot of the time actually there isnt any presence of an evil entity, but just the paralyse and hard breathing, and a slight state of panic and surprise. If I am prepared for an SP and if its not to scary I like to try and adventure into it deeper to see were it will lead me, until sometimes I become over whelmed and then most likely pass out, but other times I seem to slip into a steady un-bothered hallucination were its almost as though I can control my own dreams. but that is only super rare that it might happen.

My first SP that i am aware of took me to a whole new level of.. fear maybe?

I was taking an afternoon nap, I wasn't quiet asleep yet, but my body felt motionless yet paralysed, and it felt as though I was hovering above my bed and then sucked through time and space. (that sounds lame but its the best i can describe the sensation).

I then found myself in a dry arid surrounding, witnessing something terrible, It was a desert village, much like the current war zone in Iraq, and there were civilians fleeing with deathly fear in their eyes, all running towards me and past me, on the horizon there was a black fire, and three giant black shadowy figures that were chained to the earth, yet breaking free and reeking havoc on the land and its people, some of the people were in white full body suits with what looked like the built in gas mask and there was underground labs and factories, were man and misshapen beasts alike were swarming out onto the surface. Then the last of the three demonic shadows broke free from the chains and the sky turned black, by this time my head was ringing with intense pain and I could feel myself convulsing and sweating heatedly.

suddenly I broke free from the episode exhausted and feeling weak and my whole body was in pain, I have been haunted by that memory up until today, and even more so recently while watching the news I saw the exact same scene take place, minus the ominous shadowy beasts and the other spiritual creatures. Mind you this happened over 4 years ago before the war broke out.

That gave me quiet the shock. and still puzzles me.

-Sam

Whoa!!!

It seems like a view of the future.

Here is my opinion on the subject:

I don't doubt we are been given (some specific people, for some unknown reason) in this case you- INFORMATION about possible futures in Earth. It is lame also, but possible. I don't think all paralysis are intended for that. Let's say paralysis is a state of mind with which one can communicate with another dimensional beings and places. just like a phone. Well, phones can be used by anyone and for different purposes. So I think, with this simple analysis, that this form of communication (that is what it is) is used by beings who can control the "phone" and tell us things, by VISUAL communication. Not all the beings are benign or have the same purpose and they don't all reside in the same "SPACE"

I can identify with almost everyone who has comented on this .i suffered through terrifying sp for maybe ten years. things you guys had happen to you happened to me too.then five years ago i talked with an older lady that i worked with and told her all about it.she frequents web sites similar to this one and decided to research what was happening to me.the conclusion she came to was that some sort of entitiy or entities was to blame.she said that some how they can cause the horribly frightening things that cause us to be terrified.because somehow they can can feed off of the energy that is put out buy us being terrified.and that the solution is to coach yourself into dealing with the fact that its going to happen and when it does just observe.just kinda stand back and observe everything that is happening.and by coaching yourself mentaly you will become more likely to realize during the sp that its not real.once you teach yourself to observe and once you teach yourself that its not real.eventually it will stop.it took maybe five more times of me havin sp.before i was able to know to observe and that it wasnt real, in my sleep.once i wasnt afraid it stoped.now it may happen to me once a year,i start havin some weird stuff happening and i just kinda blow it off and it stops almost as soon as it starts.i hope this info helps someone.it seemed pretty strange to me ,but at the time i was willing to try anything.i was scared to sleep ,seeing a shrink ,takin pills and now im fine.hopefully you guys get some use out of this info cause it did me a world of good.

I can agree with you 300%. I think that is there is "someone" behind this, there is something about mental control that we have to exercise to control the event ourselves and not be driven by whoever is causing this. I have sometimes seen ugly faces dancing side by side in front of me and by ordering it to vanish, it does!!! It requires control, lack fear and determination or intention. A si said somewhere in this same page, the users of this paralysis technique could be mean or benign, confused or intent. I think it is a mechanism used to communicate and control. If it is done mechanically with instruments or mentally by higher end beings, I don't know. In all my experiences I have met threatening situations, but also I have seen deceased people, relatives, so I think we can mastee that technique (communication while in induced paralysis). What should be threatening about talking with our deads? Nothing. We should try to learn from the experience and control it with lack of fear. EAsier said that done, I know. Fear is instinct and we have to get rid of that thinking that nothing can happen to what we really are beyond our bodies unless we so decide.

To understand, I keep a journal of my dreams and experiences and review it constantly.