Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Best Horror Movies?

AlteredAgain

Love Horror Movies, but never had one to scare me outta my wits....although a few to cause me to cringe - The Exorcist, The 6th Sense and one that was just plain creepy - Mirrors.

I am a sucker for classic black and white films.

Wait Until Dark w/ Audrey Hepburn.

The Cabinet of Dr Caligari

The Man Who Laughs

The Grudge - Both Grudge films are scary as hell. The scene in the office block when the lights are going out down the corridor as she walks up is plain awful.

If you like The Grudge you should know there are six Japanese movies, might be more since I last looked, but three were filmed for television, then those three were remade for film using different actors but basically the same story. Any true fan will watch all The Grudge movies including the less scary American remakes.

The Haunting of Molly Hartley is goood too!

House of a 1000 Corpses

Devil's Rejects

The Hills Have Eyes

Dawn of the Dead

Hostel

I think I've watched the Devil's Rejects 5 times, Captain Spaulding is awesome.

Edited by Almighty89

So, whats the best horror movies? Please note, it's hard to spook me.

John Carpenter's "The Thing" was one of the rare movies to give me chills. So I guess you can use that as an example?

Village Idiot's Top 5 Horror Movies:(ones that actually made me jump...)

1.)Friday the 13th (2009 remake)

2.)House of 1,000 Corpses

3.)The Devil's Rejects

4.)Dawn of the Dead (2004 remake)

5.)The Hills Have Eyes (2006 remake)

Village Idiot's Top 5 'Unexplained' Horror Movies:

1.)Alien 3

2.)Thirt13n Ghosts

3.)Ghost Ship

4.)Alien Versus Predator

5.)Predator

My faves would be:

1.Nosferatu the Vampyre (Werner Herzog)

2.The Legend of Hell House (Based off the Richard Matheson novel, which is by far the best haunted house novel, leaps and bounds above Jackson's Hill House) Great adaptation. Very faithful to the book.

3. Bram Stoker's Dracula (Gary Oldman is INCREDIBLE as Dracula in this)

4. Mary Shelly's Frankenstein (Kenneth Branagh and Deniro are both really good in this)

5. Ju-on or the Grudge

6. Any Hammer Film with Vincent Price, Peter Cushing and or Cristopher Lee

7. 28 Days Later

I could go on and on. I love horror movies lmao.

My faves would be:

1.Nosferatu the Vampyre (Werner Herzog)

2.The Legend of Hell House (Based off the Richard Matheson novel, which is by far the best haunted house novel, leaps and bounds above Jackson's Hill House) Great adaptation. Very faithful to the book.

3. Bram Stoker's Dracula (Gary Oldman is INCREDIBLE as Dracula in this)

4. Mary Shelly's Frankenstein (Kenneth Branagh and Deniro are both really good in this)

5. Ju-on or the Grudge

6. Any Hammer Film with Vincent Price, Peter Cushing and or Cristopher Lee

7. 28 Days Later

I could go on and on. I love horror movies lmao.

I have that movie. I bought it after I read the book in high school. Good movie.

Edited by ~Shadow~

The Hills Have Eyes

Dawn of the Dead.....lost count of how many times I've watched that.

Hostel 1 & 2

28 days later

Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Thing

30 days of nights

The exorcist of emily rose and the exorcist series, scared the living s h * t outta me and my roommates. Its a good thing we were only have awake.

Damn, your not kidding. The Exorcism Of Emily Rose has to be one of the scariest film's I've seen in recent year's.

Other great/scary movie's include: [not in order]

1: Ginger Snap's. [all]

2: The Lost Boy's.

3: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Remake/The Beginning.

4: Alien/Alien's/Alien 3/Alien Resurrection.

5: Predator 1/2.

6: Pet Semetary.

7: Creep.

8: Jeeper's Creeper's.

9: Night Of The Living Dead Remake.

10: The Return Of The Living Dead. [all]

And that's all I can think of right now.

• 1 month later...

the exorcist of emily rose was awesome

but i also liked

the forsaken

nightmare on elm street

lost boys

midnight meat train

sublime

the horror movies that scared me as a kid were

salems lot (1979 original)

an american werewolf in london

evil dead 2

but these days nothing scares me,,,,well maybe the wife,,,,,oooh.

Night of the living Dead / Dawn of the Dead / Day Of The Dead ("Day" is my favourite)

Same here! all the original "of the dead" films were great. I first saw Dawn when I was 5 or 6, so they never really bothered me.

John Carpenter's "The Thing" was one of the rare movies to give me chills. So I guess you can use that as an example?

For sure "The Exorcist" I'm still afraid of the dark from that movie. No movie has ever scared me like that but here are some that gave me a twinge.

Amityville Horror

28 Days

The Ring

Hellraiser

Saw

Nightmare on Elm Street

Jeepers Creepers

Edited by stargazer123

[REC]

Dawn of the Dead (2004 remake)

28 Days later

I guess those make it obvious that I have a thing for zombie movies, huh?

Paul Noise, I agree that old B&W' are so atmospheric 'n' spooky.

How about the 30's Island of Lost Souls (Mutants), 40's I Walked With a Zombie (wow, that Tall Zomb!), 60's Whatever Happened to Baby Jane (Strange dinner is servered shockers, plus an axe murder), Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte (Bruce Dern's head or bowling ball) and the classic 1968 Night Of The Living Dead (slurpy munchy noises). And who doesn't love Mrs. Bates' light bulb scene?

Or what about "Carnival of Souls"? I think that's the name of it--an old B&W movie told from the perspective of the dead girl, which was just plain creepy.

And I agree about the original "The Haunting" and "The Legend of Hell House": excellent flicks, both of them.

"Phantasm" also freaked me out, but, then, I was trippin' pretty hard at the time. . . .

One of the best horrors that iv see is black sheep but not because of the horror (even though it was pretty good) but because of the comedy lol

But one that chilled me is "dead silence" :mellow: that left me speechless and a new fear of puppets

"Interview with a Vampire" is also a must c

Edited by Black_Sun

One of the best horrors that iv see is black sheep but not because of the horror (even though it was pretty good) but because of the comedy lol

But one that chilled me is "dead silence" :mellow: that left me speechless and a new fear of puppets

"Interview with a Vampire" is also a must c

Oh oh oh , dead silence ROCKS, it's hilarious , that dad is a freaking puppet , hahaha

T-Mobile now has the Amityville Horror and Carrie themes available as Caller Tunes. I so had to get them. They also had Rosemary's Baby but it did not sound exactly right *sigh*

I think Nosferatu is one of the best horror movies ever made. It portrays the vampyre as noted in legend...a corpse...foul and horrible. Also, the black and white film gives the movie a creepy and shadowy atmosphere..you would expect.

seax B)

ever since i watched the exorsist strange things have been happenind so i dont suggest watching that

lol

Evil Dead/Evil Dead 2 are by far my favorite. Other than that, I'd say Nosferatu, Psycho, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 30 Days of Night, Poltergeist, The Exorcist and the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

I think right now though, the best horror films are foreign, especially Asian ones. Other than that I'm not usually scared by horror movies. I'm more creeped out by subtle movies like The Sixth Sense.

Clive Barker's Hellraiser...it's a real hair-raiser

linked-image

I think I went out on a blind date with this guy.

I looove horror movies, and always get myself so worked up before seeing one, then after its over I am disappointed in how un-scary it was.

The only movie that I was somewhat scared at was 28 days later, But I loooove zombie movies and anything that has to do with apocalyptic events.

I'm with you! I love scary movies but they always seem to disappoint me. Like Quarantine...if it would have had a stronger plot and a triumphant ending, that movie would have been excellent. I thought Hostel was awesome in the gore department. I tend to find realistic scarymovies to be more frightning. Like Devil's Rejects...crazy people like that probably do exist somewhere! ROB ZOMBIE is clearly insane. SAW 1 was bananas, too! The rest of the installations lost me, 'sept I'm always down for a good "gore-fest". Speaking of which- you gotta check out "MIDNIGHT MEAT TRAIN". It's gore-tastic!