Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Best Horror Movies?

AlteredAgain

These scared the heck out of me or really messed with my head

The Exorcist

Angel Heart

Rosemary's Baby

Lost Highway

The Ring

Blair Witch Project

The Shining

Psycho

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Hell Raiser

Jesus Camp

The Exorcist is still number one for me.

So, whats the best horror movies? Please note, it's hard to spook me.

John Carpenter's "The Thing" was one of the rare movies to give me chills. So I guess you can use that as an example?

Here's my list in no particular order :

1. Original "Dawn of the Dead"

2. Cannibal Holocaust

3. Night of the living dead (Both original and 1990 remake)

4. The Thing (Carpenter version)

5. High Tension

6. The Devils Rejects

7. Halloween (original)

8. Zombi 2

There are others that are good, but those are the ones that I can watch multiple times...

eden lake,low budget british film,its very black,very scary,with a twist in the tale great ending.

wolf creek.

the exorcist.

28 days later.

the omen.

John Carpenter's "The Thing" was one of the rare movies to give me chills. So I guess you can use that as an example?

Lol, I know what you mean. The Fog is a laugh riot.

You're in the wrong category. Horror, yes???

1. Fatal Attraction.

2. Alien.

3. Hardware.

4. Iron Legend

5. Children of Men

Edited by dlv

The Ring is one of the best script I've read.. It's well told and better dialogue with intelligent twists to boot, unlike Ringu. The film kicks from beginning to end as well, unlike most "horror" films in this current century.

For sure "The Exorcist" I'm still afraid of the dark from that movie. No movie has ever scared me like that but here are some that gave me a twinge.

28 Days

The Ring

Hellraiser

Nightmare on Elm Street

You can all laugh at me, but these were the movies that actually made me jump: :cry:

*Resident Evil (all)

*Friday the 13th (all)

*Nightmare on Elm Street (all)

*Dawn of the Dead (both)

*House of 1,000 Corpses

*The Devil's Rejects

*It

*Rose Red

*The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (old/remake, all)

*Halloween (old/remake,all)

Edited by villageidiot3o

1. Fatal Attraction.

2. Alien.

3. Hardware.

4. Iron Legend

5. Children of Men

You're in the wrong category. Horror, yes???

Well if one has to follow the rules of Main stream normal and lack of freedom of Spirit, and was suppressed not to ever express one’s freedom and told to never color outside of the Lines, I suppose then that the meaning of “Horror” means what the Industry dictates it too.

However, I chose these movies because being a Man of free will and artistic abilities to see and think outside of the box, I can for myself lay claim that these are in fact to me-- “Horror” Movies,-- especially the Number one Movie that I have Chosen and listed at top “Fatal Attraction” by far the most realistic thus the most frightening of all Movies to me brings me cold shivers up and down my spine. I never wish a Psychotic person upon anyone, and if you have ever had one latch on, even as a brief encounter, you will fully understand my Movie choices and my top pick.

Pavot

I would say Hatchet, i dont believe it scared me or came out in theaters tho but the mutant guy in it is pretty freaky.

1. Nightmare on Elm Street

2. Hellraiser

3. Halloween (original)

4. Evil Dead

5. Friday the 13th (original)

6. Psycho

7. Exorcist (original)

8. Texas Chainsaw Massarce

9. From Dusk Till Dawn

10. Nosferatu

Yes, I like Slashers a lot

Edited by murdock12

If you're so free and gay, why watch films at all, and why are you still on earth? It seems to me something went wrong. In fact, you lack freedom of spirit and "free will" since you're still earthbound. I bet you don't even know the meaning of "free will."

You believe you can think outside of the box, but lo, you're a mere poseur.

Well if one has to follow the rules of Main stream normal and lack of freedom of Spirit, and was suppressed not to ever express one’s freedom and told to never color outside of the Lines, I suppose then that the meaning of “Horror” means what the Industry dictates it too.

However, I chose these movies because being a Man of free will and artistic abilities to see and think outside of the box

Pavot

A horror movie with a really good story but terrible acting was the first Scarecrow movie...

1. Fatal Attraction.

2. Alien.

3. Hardware.

4. Iron Legend

5. Children of Men

However, I chose these movies because being a Man of free will and artistic abilities to see and think outside of the box, I can for myself lay claim that these are in fact to me-- “Horror” Movies,-- especially the Number one Movie that I have Chosen and listed at top “Fatal Attraction” by far the most realistic thus the most frightening of all Movies to me brings me cold shivers up and down my spine. I never wish a Psychotic person upon anyone, and if you have ever had one latch on, even as a brief encounter, you will fully understand my Movie choices and my top pick.

Pavot

If you're so free and gay, why watch films at all, and why are you still on earth? It seems to me something went wrong. In fact, you lack freedom of spirit and "free will" since you're still earthbound. I bet you don't even know the meaning of "free will."

You believe you can think outside of the box, but lo, you're a mere poseur.

Well, Well Mr. or Mrs. Or Ms. Incognito With all due respect here dlv.

Well now I meant my statement here to not be anything of a personal Jab or Attack of Flame war Starter directed towards you or any, I will try to peacefully and respectful reply to your Misanthropic Comment pertaining to my Post of the OP topic and and to your Quote above attacking me publically, for whatever personal reason that might be, is it in fact me as Pavot personally you hate or is it that you hate the world in general? As your personal attack and observation are Wrong, but I am neither a Mod, an Administrator or your Mommy to show you here that your Attack upon me was wrong, you will need to figure that out upon your own, that is if you really feel it is all worth you burning your cognitive energies to figure that all out realizing your observation and thus assumptions as way off.

As to trying to redirect now as back to the OP topic of this thread, Horror is discerned within the Mind of those observing such events or Movies.

Pavot

Edited by Pavot

If you only read carefully what I actually wrote and also follow what you said about yourself that you could "think outside of the box," then you wouldn't have accused my previous post as being "misanthropic." I don't even know you enough to attack you. Again, my point is varified; you're a mere poseur, you don't always think "outside of the box." It's just a matter of fact, nothing more, nothing less, because everyone could easily read the posts. If there's anything else in my post that offended, then you just have to get a dictionary.

Well, Well Mr. or Mrs. Or Ms. Incognito With all due respect here dlv.

I will try to peacefully and respectful reply to your Misanthropic Comment pertaining to my Post of the OP topic and and to your Quote above attacking me publically, for whatever personal reason that might be, is it in fact me as Pavot personally you hate or is it that you hate the world in general? As your personal attack and observation are Wrong, but I am neither a Mod, an Administrator or your Mommy to show you here that your Attack upon me was wrong, you will need to figure that out upon your own, that is if you really feel it is all worth you burning your cognitive energies to figure that all out realizing your observation and thus assumptions as way off.

As to trying to redirect now as back to the OP topic of this thread, Horror is discerned within the Mind of those observing such events or Movies.

Pavot

well horrors movies never really scared me........

my frens would wonder why i dont get much scared....and then one of my fren suggested me to watch "grudge".......she thinks its real scary.........but when I watched the movie alone ( I love watching horrors alone most of the time)...........I just could not help laughing.......the sound that the ghost makes is quite funny.then I watched the entire grudge series........all of them were funny.

But do try for the Asian version......i didnt try it yet........someone told me its real creepy compared to the funny American version.

it was just last night that i watched "the blair witch project".........and I swear I found nothing scary about the movie but I could not sleep all night.i kept thinking why i waited for the morning light and then fall asleep.

if u didnt watch the movie then plz do...........there is nothing scary about it but something makes u feel creepy about it.

So, whats the best horror movies? Please note, it's hard to spook me.

The Audition; a movie from Japan, really scary, but U have to read the subtitles

1. Nightmare on Elm Street

2. Hellraiser

3. Halloween (original)

4. Evil Dead

5. Friday the 13th (original)

6. Psycho

7. Exorcist (original)

8. Texas Chainsaw Massarce

9. From Dusk Till Dawn

10. Nosferatu

Yes, I like Slashers a lot

If I could add to your list because you are very much on the right road:

1) Vampyr

2) The Ugly

3) Se7en

4) Night of the living dead

5) Black Christmas

6) The Brood

7) From Beyond

8) House by the Cemetery

9) Ringu

10) Ju Re

• 1 year later...

I just saw Jennifer's Body and it was heaps better than I expected it would be. I finally saw a movie with Megan Fox in it, she is not as bad of an actress as I expected, and had I known Amanda Seyfried was in it I would have seen it lots earlier. So the movie is a bit camp but I did not mind. It was kinda scary for me at first just seeing how Megan Fox was acting all possessed but that wore out when they explained how it all worked....usually horror movies are scarier when they do not explain **** but let us guess why the evil is going on.

Edited by Rosewin

Mega shark vs giant octopus, I mean, what else comes close? Except maybe Troll 2.

Mega shark vs giant octopus, I mean, what else comes close? Except maybe Troll 2.

Troll 2 :lol: It's a classic but I prefered the original. Also like:

Cujo/Tommyknockers/It

the Brood (love it)/Rabid (strange)/Shivers (messed up)

Best I've seen of late was Society but my all time faves are Day of the Dead or Omega Man. Lot's more that I can't remember.

wow, I like a lot of horror movies...

The original Texas chainsaw massacre is one of the top on my yuck lists... not for the gore or anything, but for the ultra disgusting description of head cheese, lmao at myself :)

Halloween (at least the first couple of them) is good too.. We probably watched the head in the fridge scene a dozen times before we went on to watch the rest of the movie, lol.

Nosferatu- classic creepy... amazing what could be scary without any CG or major special effects.

The changeling (1980)- great ghost and mystery rolled into one.

The Shining (1980) is great- but I think it's Jack Nicholson's super creepy action that does it more than the story itself. Then again, I find him a little creepy anyway, even in comedies.

The Entity (1981) was scary because it's supposed to be based on true events.

Most of the movies from the 90's-ish forward I just view as interesting for the special effects. I find most of them are pretty boring outside the special effects.

A horror movie I wish I knew the name of was one I watched as a kid... the special effects were pretty cheesy, but there is a scene where the heroine walks down a hall and encounters a strong wind... when the wind dies, she is covered with bugs! The movie is about a guy that has to have the essence from women killed at the height of fright (x amount of them, can't remember how many) in order to come back from the dead himself. Fun movie though, I'd like to see it as an adult :) There's another one with a woman on a retreat, and she gets brutally raped by some guys, then goes and butchers them- that one was creepy as hell, but I can't remember what the name of that one is either.

last house on the left and some tv show where gremlins threw a lady into a basement furnace. I would say that a horror show that came on after 10 in the 60s when I was in like 1st grade called night gallery or some such pretty much warped me as a kid.

I watched it years ago , never will again....Reason it scares me , makes me wonder how I might die , and it is real.....Not so much a movie , just different ways of dying on film....

Faces of Death

Another one , most of the scenes hurt me more than scare me....Jack ass 1,2

I like the posts on " The Thing " , I have to agree.....

I just saw Jennifer's Body and it was heaps better than I expected it would be. I finally saw a movie with Megan Fox in it, she is not as bad of an actress as I expected, and had I known Amanda Seyfried was in it I would have seen it lots earlier. So the movie is a bit camp but I did not mind. It was kinda scary for me at first just seeing how Megan Fox was acting all possessed but that wore out when they explained how it all worked....usually horror movies are scarier when they do not explain **** but let us guess why the evil is going on.

Exactly!!! And the sad part is that there are too few films that utilize that "unknown" factor.

I used to be the biggest horror movie buff ever. There was a time when no indie horror film that came out escaped my attention. . .but none of them really scared me. I actually think its pretty pathetic that the movie that scared me the most was Dawn of the Dead, the newer one. I suppose its because of my extremely irrational fear of zombies. . .but too many of the other zombie movies either had an explanation where the zombies came from or the zombies were slow and easily avoided. . . That movie not only had no explanation as to where they came from, but they were fast and psychotic. Psycho killers, aliens, ghosts. . .none of that stuff really gets to me. . .only zombies.

Another movie, which I do NOT recommend to anyone. . .wasn't scary, but was so disgusting it scarred me for life. That movie Deadgirl. Just thinking about it makes me want to puke. I sat through the whole movie thinking "No one in the world would actually do that kind of thing. . ." but then I started thinking about all the guys I know,and there were a few of them that I could see being the main characters in that movie. . .which is pretty sad.

Oh. . .I never finished it all the way through, but Trick R Treat was interesting. ..the parts I saw at least. Not really scary, but a fun movie.

I've been in the process the last few months to catch up on my horror movies. . .so my mind may change in a couple of weeks or so. :D