Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Best Horror Movies?

AlteredAgain

Nosferatu!....The original 1922 version with the imortal Max Schrek!

Although the 1979 version with Klaus Kinski, was almost as good!

And the 2000 fictional 'movie, of the making of the movie' , with Willem Dafoe as

Schrek!...And John Malkovich 'as brilliant as ever',was a masterpiece in it's own

right!! :tu:

The Exorcist hands down! I've seen it so many times and it still freaks me out.

The Exorcist hands down! I've seen it so many times and it still freaks me out.

Yeah!....That's a fantastic movie!

I remember sneaking in to the cinema to see this with a couple of my buddies,...we were only 13...It scared the crap out of us!!(though we tried not to show it to each other! :lol: )

Seen it again just recently.....and it seemed to be getting 'a little dated!'...But i'll always remember how good it was 'back, in the day!' :tu:

P.S...I enjoyed the most recent in the series....you know...the prequel with Stellen Skarsgard!....'Very atmospheric and skillfully crafted'...Deserved to be a much bigger hit!imo

I just watched a movie called "The Human Centipede: First Sequence" and I have to say that the premise is one that is deeply disturbing. Not many movies really disturb me, but the way the people were treated in this movie is the scariest thing in it. A mad doctor traps and drugs three people with identical blood types and connects their gastric systems and cuts the ligaments in their legs. To make it clearer, they were attached mouth to anus, mouth to anus sewn together. The explanation of the surgery while the victims were crying and the scene where the lead person of the centipede has to take a crap were almost too much. It was disgusting!

Some other movies that were disturbing:

1. American Psycho, especially the scene where he kills that homeless man and stomps on the dog.

2. Guinea Pig: Flowers of Flesh and Blood and Guinea Pig: Mermaid Down the Manhole are some of the most disturbing gore/torture *spam filter*s to ever come out of Japan. The mutilation scenes were very gory and sadistic.

3. Wolf Creek is also one of the more dark and realistic horror movies I've seen with decent acting.

4. Man Bite Dog is a dark comedy, independent film classic. The scenes of child murder were very unpleasant to me.

5. Frontier(s) is a great french horror movie that is like the Texas Chainsaw Massacre on steroids with some Nazism thrown.

I'm a HUGE horror fan. To name one particulr movie as best over all would be impossible for me. I've a massive collection.

I want to say I'm not all that excited about the old slice and dice kind but then there's the Hostels and the Saws. My all time favorites are the "What you don't see" type & the "I know something's behind that damn door but I'm gonna open it anyway." idiots. (Bless them all.)

I've seen so many horror movies I rarely find one that freaks me out. Seriously. I usually have them figured out before they're half over.

Paranormal Activity was pretty good except for the predictable end. I loved the claustrophobic feel of The Descent. The Orphan was a huge disapointment.

H.H. Holmes, I saw parts of The Human Centipede on Rotten Tomatoes.com IT WAS SICK!

Edited by Nims

I would have to say if you want a good horror film to watch and that'll keep you on the edge of your seat watch the ORIGINAL 1967 verison of George A. Romero's Night of the Living Dead. But make sure it's dead middle of the night, all the lights are off, no other sounds what so ever and put it on surround sound for more fun. Then do the same thing with the 1975 Dawn of the Dead <-- Best one out of the series to me. Then the 1981 Day of the Dead <-- second best zombie film for humor thanks to the Jamacian guy.

After that if you want to get more modern, watch 28 Weeks Later which to me is more logical than 28 days later but 28 Days Later does show how humanity would actually test a virus before it "gets out".

If you're looking for a zombie film with a lot of humor then I suggest watching Resident Evil Apocalypse and then after the movie watch the special features disc with the bloopers.

Doom with Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and Karl Urban in it is really great although they should've added a few more creatures to the film but it's fun to watch either way.

After that, well nothing beats a good old Nightmare on Elm Street film starring Robert Englund. He does so well bringing out that character that it's almost scary in its self.

I've watched and collected foreign horror movies. (what is it with the Asians and long black hair? Have you noticed how many involve hair in some shape or form?)

Any who- I have to give Guillermo del Toro a big thumbs up for his work. Only prob. is sometimes I'm not in the mood for subtitles. But I'd like to list these for creepiness

The Orphanage

The Devil's Backbone

Pan's Labyrinth

And Hell Boy for fun.

not many scare me,but a few made me jump or cringe.

the shining-(old lady in tub,blood in the elevator,and the twins thats scary stuff)

psycho- (who didn't double check wile taking a shower after that movie)

poltergeist-(a friend of mine had one of those damn clowns)

paranormal activity- (when she was just standing there,the covers and her getting pulled down the hall got to me)

IT-(the first half was scary with the clown pennywise,the ending was disappointing)

the strangers-(had me double checking the doors before i went to bed)

i watch tons and tons of horror movies but those are the ones i recall giving me a startle wile watching them...

fun horror movies

any zombie flick

night of the creeps

the ruins

killer clowns from outer space

tales from the crypt series

creep show

fido

I work in the fx field, mostly of course for horror movies, and have worked at haunted houses since I was a kid, so it is pretty much impossible to scare me. However, when I was a kid, the original Alien, and Cujo were the only 2 movies that scared me back then. Since then, there have been a few scenes in a few movies that gave me chills, but I can't really credit any single movie with spooking me. With the exception of, maybe, The Blair Witch Project. I saw it in the theatres when it first came out, and it was still up in the air on whether it was real footage of a real event, or just a movie. I didn't beleive it was real, but I went into the theatre with that mentality, and was surrounded by people who either thought it was real, or also kept that same mentality. It didn't "scare" me, but it was pretty creepy when you try to keep the right mentality.

I go with Alien (the original). i left the theatre and just thought " have spent 4 pounds sterling to be scared witlesswacko.gif

I don't watch horror movies but the two that stand out in my mind are Psycho, I hate being home alone when taking a shower and It my sister and her friend made me watch it when I was 6 or 7.

Like some here horror movies do not scare me.Hostel and Devil's Rejects were good but interesting not "scary".

I never seen Audition whats it about?

I just watch Blood Creek and its worth watching once not bad.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A mad doctor traps and drugs three people with identical blood types and connects their gastric systems and cuts the ligaments in their legs. To make it clearer, they were attached mouth to anus, mouth to anus sewn together. The explanation of the surgery while the victims were crying and the scene where the lead person of the centipede has to take a crap were almost too much. It was disgusting!

I already feel sick cause I know I must see this.

nah i havnt been scared in a movie since watching jurassic park 1 at a theater

best horror movie on story line,anything that isnt the anti-christ,that movie was a poor excuse for a depressive outburst

Looks interesting a must check out. Though I feel roth and rob hype it up too much for me. But if they approve I got to watch.

I heard good things about Audition. Was excited to watch it. Didn't scare me at all. They were going for psychologically scary, aka disturbing.

But to be honest, it wasn't that disturbing.

Nightmare on Elm Street is my favorite. I love the whole idea of it. The first scary movie I ever saw was Scream and it scared me soo badly lol. I was only like 6 though. :blush:

I also like The Orphange. It's pretty creepy. It's in spanish but I think it's worth watching if you're willing to use the subtitles..if you don't understand spanish. :tu:

The Wicker Man (1973)

Frankenstein (1931)

Bride of Frankenstein (1935)

Cat People (1942)

The Spiral Staircase (1945)

The Unknown (1927)

Them! (1954)

The Haunting (1963)

The Innocents (1961)

Carnival of Lost Souls (1962)

Eyes Without A Face (1959)

Alien (1979)

Magic (1978)

Nosferatu (1979)

The Changeling (1980)

Motel Hell (1980)

An American Werewolf In London (1981)

Halloween (1978)

Candyman (1992)

Audition (1999)

A Tale of Two Sisters (2003)

The Living Dead At Manchester Morgue (1974)

Looks interesting a must check out. Though I feel roth and rob hype it up too much for me. But if they approve I got to watch.

I'm with you there. Got the big build up then when I saw it I was let down a bit. Maybe if I'd seen it before I heard all the praises I'd have been shocked more. I do like a slow build sometimes.

Don't find the slice and dice kinda flic all that scary. The Saws were interesting because of the imaginative ways of the 'get to the gore' part. but I think it's past time for their retirement. One more sequeal might be one too many. Losing steam.

I like stories to my horror, not just gross out. I do have a weakness though. I hate it when some poor animal gets it. It seems a given if there's a pet----bye-bye kitty. I was upset when Cujo died.

Some good oldies I like are-

The Uninvited 1944 B/W

The Haunting 1963 B/W

The Changeling 1980

Edited by Nims

Psychological:

1.The Sixth Sense

3.The Others

4.The Ring

5.Premonition (Sandra Bullock)

6.Blue Velvet

7.Jacob's Ladder