Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Best Horror Movies?

AlteredAgain

About Schmidt for the hotub scene alone.

• 1 month later...

My Fave Horror Movie Is "It" by Stephen King .. I Still Feel Uneasy Watching It .. Probably Coz I Saw It When I was 8-9 For The First Time .. I Was Horrified .. I Remember We Used To Play "It" At School .. Someone Would Be The Clown And They Would Try To Catch Us Other Kids .. Fun Times .. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I love old Hollywood silent movies, but I think that Asian horror movies are definitely the creepiest. Not only are they bloody and gory, they completely mess with your head. But my favorite horror movie (probably not everyone thinks it fits into that genre, but it still scared the crap outta me) is Eraser Head. It's not a silent film, but there's a large lack of dialogue, which to me was probably the scariest aspect of the film. Very creepy.

The Evil Dead, I'm only 24 and watched it for the first time at about 11 or 12 year's old, and since then i have never ever matched the fear that came with that first viewing.. The pencil in the ankle scene was horrific!

"Dead By Dawn!!"

:o

Dawn of the dead (1979) is one of my favourite movies of all time and alway will be, The scene where Tom Savini is disemboweled was amazing. Even by todays standards.

The 2004 Remake was also quite good.

Edited by danbell06

About Schmidt for the hotub scene alone.

I've never seen it. Expand? :)

As a kid there was this movie Trilogy of TERROR (1975 Karen Black). It is three stories all staring KB.

In one of them there is this African doll that comes to life and comes after her. It really freaked me out because we had an African statue about 8" tall with a spear.

I just knew it was going to come to life and get my mom.

I would put it in the cabinet at night so it couldn't get out.

I have this doll now and to this day I still don't trust it !

The Alien movies

The last scene in Friday the 13th when Jason comes up out of the water.

TCCM

Evil dead 2

The Creature from the black lagoon.

I've never seen it. Expand? :)

Kathy Bates...Naked...

• 2 weeks later...

Not read all the posts but has "Orphan" been mentioned? Watched it last week, first film in years to creep me out.

best horror ? i dont count triller as horror .. or gore movies so this is some of my fav..

the eye / chinese version .. damn good

the grudge / japanese version damn good

nanak / thailand. scary as hell

my ex girlfriend /thailand damn good

insidious = decent.

the messenger = good

the mirror = great

armita villa horror = great

the haunted house = good

damn i have seen so many ... but i can garanteer you that asian horror movies are way way better than hollywood horror movies..

• 1 month later...

Dont know if you guys would call it scary but, Enemy Of The State scared the **** out of me,because it made we wonder what the government can and does do, and thats the scariest crap of all

I don't find gore frightening--just repulsive. I like my horror movies to be subtle. To this day, I find "The Uninvited" (an old film with Ray Milland), creepy, and to my mind, the original version of "The Haunting" (with Claire Bloom) is infinitely more scary than the remake (with Catherine Zeta-Jones). The first "Paranormal Activity" scared the bejeebers out of me, as did the third one (the second one was a crashing bore). "The Woman in Black" was also scary...until it over-explained itself about three-quarters of the way through. When I was a younger (and when it first came out), "The Exorcist" scared me half to death, largely due to my Catholic upbringing (I misunderstood the ending but I won't explain how in case some of you haven't seen it but plan to).

Yup, give me a good old-fashioned ghost or demon story, and you'll give me nightmares for days. Wish I could avoid the nightmares, but the adrenalin rush of a good scary movie is just irresistible.

I recently watched "Grave Encounters". It's a found footage film that went straight to DVD/on demand that was actually decent. It had some cool concepts and good moments.

I did not go through all 22 pages, but if you want to know a truly quality modern must-see horror movie, I sTRONGLy recommend, 'Slither' , sayin see it 'tither yee wretch

• 2 weeks later...

Foreign Horror is where to look right now:

- Inside

- Martyrs

- Rec + Rec 2

- The Loved Ones

- Fritt Vilt + Fritt Vilt 2

Most recently watched:

- Asylum Blackout (definitely check this one out)

• The Evil Dead
  • A Nightmare On Elm Street (original)
  • 28 Days Later
  • Dawn of the Dead (original)
  • The Thing
  • Kazaam

I recently watched "Grave Encounters". It's a found footage film that went straight to DVD/on demand that was actually decent. It had some cool concepts and good moments.

I caught this on cable yesterday because of this post alone, the concepts were great (in that the scenarios the paranormal investigatiors find themselves in is pretty interesting) before condescending into an amalgam of Blair Witch Project with other previous shaky cam films. Including the non stop screaming and the non stop f-bombs with alot of goofy unconvincing cgi. Had some good ideas going though but the execution was crap.

3/4 out of 10

suspiria to me is one of the greatest imo. along with the exorcist, although i dont really find to be scary at all, i still find it to be pretty cool. and if anyone is into something in the more cheesy yet psychological then i would highly recommend santa sangre

Have to submit a few viewed when younger

Psycho (original one)

IT

The Shining

Silver Bullet

The exorcist

According to me these horror movies are best ever :

1.SAW

2.WRONG TURN

3.FINAL DESTINATION

4.GHOST RIDER

ghost rider???? thats not horror

The Shining with Jack Nicholson... definitely the best. And I also like Insidious with creepy music by Tiny Tim (what's even more strange, I actually like that song). Yesterday I watched Shutter, which is Thai horror and it was damn pretty scary.

There's a low budget film from 2007 called MURDER PARTY.

It's actually very intelligent, comical, well paced, fun characters and a nicely horrific ending. It's among my favorites, can't recommend it enough.

My definition is a bit different than most peoples. Movies that "startle" me do not even count at all. Jason suddenly reaching out of the closet making you jump, pulling back the shower curtain in Pyscho....those are "startling"....2 seconds of adreneline.

Horror...is the ones that make you think....AFTER the movie. I consider "One Flew Over the cukoos Nest" in this category. Comedy? Yeah well...walking home from that one I thought of mankind as pretty sick as we all laughed about the plight of the pyschologically ill. Barrell of laughs.

Seven....not so much the scenes (starling)...but as the credits rolled by thinking...somewhere out there lurks the sick Mofo who WROTE this movie. THATS scary.....

but hey...im just an evolutionary dead-end of the equestrain line. feel free to disagree.

• Like 1

Hello Frnds....

I am Elvis martin I like to watch movies in my free time for entertainment. Because movies are best source for entertainment. I like to watch so many types of movies like Comedy movies, Action movies, Horror movies....

My Favorite movies are : -

100 Feet

Game of Death

28 Days Later

28 Weeks Later

30 Days of Night

7 Days to Live

A Tale of Two Sisters

Absentia

After.Life

Alien

The Cabin in The Woods

Whoever started this thread got it right.

John Carpenter's The Thing

Horror isn't how many bodies some weirdo tallies. It's about suspense and not knowing what's around the corner.

I will also add the original Fright Night.