Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Best Horror Movies?

AlteredAgain

I've never heard of "Session 9." What's it about??

Session 9

It's about some asbestos removal guys that go to work on an abandoned mental hospital. I can't remember the details since it's been a while, but one of them finds tape recordings of an old patients sessions. It's more of a psychological thriller and has quite a creepy atmosphere.

My favourites are the exorcist and 28 days later, the first time i saw them

scared the bejesus out of me :D:devil:

Edited by Lapras

Train and cave are the only two I can think of at the moment. They were pretty creepy, even for my taste.

Nothing against those two movies (I haven't seen them yet so I can't say anything about them)... but what is it with horror movie titles lately? They seem to be slowly transitioning to rather generic titles...

There is only one movie that has actually scared me as an adult. And that is The Ring. Scared the hell out of me actually... dreamt about it for weeks on end. I refuse to watch it again and almost swore off horror movies altogether after that experience. Creepy little girl... sends shudders down my spine... Crud, now I have to go turn on the lights.

When I was a kid, the Invasion of the Body Snatchers remake from 1978 with Donald Sutherland scared the crap out of me too. But that might be because at the end of the movie my grandpa turned slowly toward me, pointed, and screamed just like they had in the movie... No lie. Scared me to death. :cry:

I've watched alot of good horror movies.

But recently I've watched Session 9. And The Exorcist gave me a good chill.

Anything where the thing you're suppose to be scared of is a FISH...is not a good horror film FYI. I have been promised a good scare from various fish-monster films, only to be let down.

1. The Night of the Living Dead

2. The Last House on the Left

3. Salò or the 120 Days of Sodom

4. The Entity

5. The Exorcist

6. Poltergeist

7. The Thing

8. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

9. The Legend of Boggy Creek

10. Sixth Sense

The Lost Boys and Dracula(1931 version)...I had a major crush on Bela after I saw that movie. :]

• 2 weeks later...

ooh goodie! ill be lookin this thread up for holloween night :devil:

personally my fave scary ones ive seen so far in no particular order are:

1.freddy the first ones (i was 6 wen i first saw it i couldnt sleep, i dint want too!)

2.hellraiser 1

3.texas chainsaw massacre

4.the thing! (my fave)

5.the exorcist the 1st one

6.Beuwolf, i know its animated, but it still creeped me out! :blush:

I think the beggining of The Dream Catcher couldve been the beggining of a good scary movie, but i didnt like the rest of it.

I really couldn't say what is the 'scariest' horror film I've seen as I think this is very dependent on the individual. I personally don't find 'slashers' and gory films scary at all same with zombie/vampire movies and just find paranormal films enjoyable to watch. A few horrors I do enjoy are as follows:

1. The Ring (2002)

2. Ju-on: The Grudge (2003)

3. Haute Tension (2003)

4. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)

5. The Blair Witch Project (1999)

I really enjoy the remakes that have been coming out lately. Things that were scary back in the day just aren't scary for today. Not that too many horror movies are actually "scary" to me, but I enjoy the newer stuff. I think it's pathetic that movie writers can't come up with any new ideas, so they are resurrecting the old ones, but I enjoy them. My favorites, I'd have to say, are the Halloween remakes from Rob Zombie. He made Michael a badass.

But the kind of movies that actually frighten me are ghost movies, like Blair Witch and Paranormal Activity.

Edited by Captain Beefcake McGoo

I have so many, but the Evil Dead movies, The Hammer Horror movies, and An American werewolf In London, Night Of The Demons are some of my main favourites.

Since the topic is titled "best" and not scariest there are a few that stand out for various reasons...

High Tension, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Ring, Cannibal Holocaust, Hostel, Saw, The Grudge, 28 Days Later, Nightmare on Elm Street series, Alien... few others

First post, thanks for having me :D

I would have to vote for Blair Witch Project myself. Just the idea of being lost with something after you, and no where to go...just chilling.

Edited by Spider19

Since the topic is titled "best" and not scariest there are a few that stand out for various reasons...

High Tension, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Ring, Cannibal Holocaust, Hostel, Saw, The Grudge, 28 Days Later, Nightmare on Elm Street series, Alien... few others

Hmmm.... "High Tension"... I really loved that movie the first time I saw it. The second time I saw it I was watching out for certain things (Due to knowing the ending) and it still held up. But the third time... to be frank, it wasn't a movie that stands up more to more than two viewings.

Hmmm.... "High Tension"... I really loved that movie the first time I saw it. The second time I saw it I was watching out for certain things (Due to knowing the ending) and it still held up. But the third time... to be frank, it wasn't a movie that stands up more to more than two viewings.

Agreed. Once you know the twist at the end it's not really worth watching again. It's pretty horrifying first time round though. A good one for gore/slasher fans.

Director Aja blew it with the twist, in fact, the cement cutter scene caused the whole theatre audience (myself included) to roll on the floor laughing. I thought it was a bad, bad film.

I enjoy old school slashers more such as The Toolbox Murders, Halloween, The Slumber Party Massacre, F13 films, Silent Night Deadly Night, etc

Melt your eyeballs on these classics

PIECES 1982 (the funniest slasher ever!)

http://www.youtube.com/user/retroslashermovies#p/c/4CB24131F9040E46/1/2q_iN_KGuUs

THE SLUMBER PARTY MASSACRE 1982

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsGQ1KJi1Es

NIGHT WARNING 1983 (the scariest slasher ever!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBpFlzrEdUw

Edited by Mallet