Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists clone extinct ibex back to life

UM-Bot

Image credit: stockxpert
Image credit: stockxpert
For the first time scientists have succeeded in bringing an extinct species back to life through cloning. The newborn Pyrenean ibex, a species which was declared extinct back in 2000, sadly died shortly after birth from a lung defect.

"An extinct animal has been brought back to life for the first time after being cloned from frozen tissue. The Pyrenean ibex, a form of wild mountain goat, was officially declared extinct in 2000 when the last-known animal of its kind was found dead in northern Spain.

Shortly before its death, scientists preserved skin samples of the goat, a subspecies of the Spanish ibex that live in mountain ranges across the country, in liquid nitrogen."

arrow3.gifView: Full Article | linked-imageSource: The Telegraph

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mistydawn

• clubfoot O.M.G.

• The Mule

• ExpandMyMind

Yay! The Clone Age has begun!

maybe michael chrichton wasnt as stupid as lots of scientists made him out to be :)

its a far cry from dinosaurs but still..

You can't bring back one animal from a species and say there it is not extinct. You have to have genetic diversity for a species to survive.

Yay! The Clone Age has begun!

Well there was "Dolly" the sheep years back, so cloning is not really NEW.

This is the kind of thing that should be left alone....the species became extinct for a reason....

This is the kind of thing that should be left alone....the species became extinct for a reason....

Yes that reason was us not natural selection.

Read the article. It became extinct because of humans, not nature.

Good to see that we can correct our own mistakes.

Hi there Muley!!

They were only made a protected species in the 1970's, after extensive hunting, by guess who? People! and the last one, that the DNA sample was taken from, was found with it's head bashed... not a good reason to become extinct I think!

:)

Well, I guess, 'practice makes perfect!' Maybe one day it will be the answer to eternal life...

Well, I guess 'practice makes perfect!' Maybe someday, it will be the answer to eternal life.... :)

didnt they find a frozen wooly mammoth? i wonder...

didnt they find a frozen wooly mammoth? i wonder...

Several, in various states of preservation. It's a ongoing study to determine the best way to bring it back with such a limited complete genetic sample.

Several scientists claim it's a viable experiment to bring it back, but site prohibitive costs.

Also, unlike the ibex, while humanity may have had something to do with the species going extinct, they became extinct worldwide through lack of involvement on human's part.

Extinct Again!!

Extinct twice in less then a decade. Wheew!!

It doesn't matter HOW it became extinct...Once it's gone, it should stay that way.

It doesn't matter HOW it became extinct...Once it's gone, it should stay that way.

And if all the BEE,s become extinct they should stay that way too. Is that what your saying? :huh:

Everyone is pointing out how it wasn't natural selection that wiped out these species, it was actually humans... How are we not part of natural selection? We aren't some super-being that surpasses the laws of nature...

but in the case of over hunting its our fault since we take way more then we need and even then not distribute it properly so there's people starving on the street :P

though of course they should be cautious and not try to bring back something that can cause problems like a t-rex :P

though if pandas or polar bears went extinct i bet every1 would want to get it brought back to life :P

edit= i wonder how they would raise a t-rex from extinction without something giving birth to it >< uhh i cant believe i forgot about eggs as in the size ppl eat :P oh well i guess i can just get more stuff to read about :P

edit2= i wonder if they crossed a t-rex with a chicken ? would it be a feathery non flying prdator? and would it be large or small

Edited by Bluedragon11200

How about some ibex steaks on the BBQ.

Well, I guess 'practice makes perfect!' Maybe someday, it will be the answer to eternal life.... :)

Very good question! :tu:

If a person (who they 'are') is 'made up' of genetic memory, sub-conscious memory and conscious memory (remembered life experiences) then if you were cloned into a newborn infant would the new 'you' really be you? The newborn would have different life experiences thereby creating a unique individual, so is it really you or someone new?

I think that I just confused myself! :blink:

Everyone is pointing out how it wasn't natural selection that wiped out these species, it was actually humans... How are we not part of natural selection? We aren't some super-being that surpasses the laws of nature...

I am inclined to agree. Maybe animals will evolve to enjoy carbon emissions and sludge.

Seriously. Life is pretty hearty. After all, the asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs didn't end life.

The world keeps turning and all that jazz.

Edited by MindFire