Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists clone extinct ibex back to life

UM-Bot

If we have the chance to bring back something that WE wiped out, why the hell wouldn't you take it?

So if the elephant, giraffe or dog went extinct because of us and the technology to clone them existed, you wouldn't want it to happen? Some people need to think...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mistydawn

• clubfoot O.M.G.

• The Mule

• Bender.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very good question! :tu:

If a person (who they 'are') is 'made up' of genetic memory, sub-conscious memory and conscious memory (remembered life experiences) then if you were cloned into a newborn infant would the new 'you' really be you? The newborn would have different life experiences thereby creating a unique individual, so is it really you or someone new?

I think that I just confused myself! :blink:

You confused me too.... but it's good to question and it is also good to try to advance the human-race, not stand still or go backwards.

:)

It doesn't matter HOW it became extinct...Once it's gone, it should stay that way.

But why? If we can resurrect a species? Why not?? :hmm:

"Everyone is pointing out how it wasn't natural selection that wiped out these species, it was actually humans... How are we not part of natural selection? We aren't some super-being that surpasses the laws of nature..."

i have often thought something similar. there must have been many different species over the years who have wiped out other species just as we have wiped out others.

although maybe the ablility to see ourselves as different from other animals, is itself what makes us different.

I'm still waiting on the wooly mammoth promise.

You confused me too.... but it's good to question and it is also good to try to advance the human-race, not stand still or go backwards.

:)

I was trying to answer (question?) your immortality premise. I'm not sure that cloning is actually more a form of immortality than simply having your own children, after all they do 'carry' our familial genes on.

Agree totally with your question comment, it is the only way that the human race moves forwards, we so often repeat the mistakes of the past because we get stuck in 'stand still' mode as its the easy option.

Thats a beautiful forest picture you've got there, you can 'feel' the peace. :yes:

Mammoths and Moa, I wanna see those guys soon.

But oh noes, global recession? Will we still have the money?

I was trying to answer (question?) your immortality premise. I'm not sure that cloning is actually more a form of immortality than simply having your own children, after all they do 'carry' our familial genes on.

Agree totally with your question comment, it is the only way that the human race moves forwards, we so often repeat the mistakes of the past because we get stuck in 'stand still' mode as its the easy option.

Thats a beautiful forest picture you've got there, you can 'feel' the peace. :yes:

Suppose it has something to do with being an 'intelligent' species Man, I mean (ha ha!!!) but if we didn't advance scientce we would probably all still live in caves.

My signature is courtesy of the Great and Magical magician himself, Mr Hissie Sola, aka Scorpion!! It is BEAUTIFUL!!

Suppose it has something to do with being an 'intelligent' species Man, I mean (ha ha!!!) but if we didn't advance scientce we would probably all still live in caves.

My signature is courtesy of the Great and Magical magician himself, Mr Hissie Sola, aka Scorpion!! It is BEAUTIFUL!!

:D I support technology also, I just think that we've fallen somewhat 'off the rails' when it comes to the spirituality (not religion) side of the equation, 'balance' is what its all about, I think?

Mr. Scorpion :tu:

:D I support technology also, I just think that we've fallen somewhat 'off the rails' when it comes to the spirituality (not religion) side of the equation, 'balance' is what its all about, I think?

Mr. Scorpion :tu:

post-58664-1233982617_thumb.jpg

Agreed! But then, were we ever "on the rails?!"

post-58664-1233982617_thumb.jpg

Agreed! But then, were we ever "on the rails?!"

Showoff! B)

Good question though. I suspect that at some time in prehistory we were much closer to the sprituality side but without the technology. There is a suggestion that some carved tortoise-shells found in China dating back approximately 6,000 years may, in fact, be the first written language. The first archaic homo sapien was thought to have evolved somewhere between 400,000 to 250,000 years ago. Thats an awful long time to forget a lot of wisdom, especially when it could only be passed down verbally through myth.

In terms of me being "on the rails", never. :wacko: But I can help you! Just expand your portrait and you'll have an immediate brain capacity increase of 11% and that is an awful lot of brain cells, helpful aren't I? :innocent:

Showoff! B)

Good question though. I suspect that at some time in prehistory we were much closer to the sprituality side but without the technology. There is a suggestion that some carved tortoise-shells found in China dating back approximately 6,000 years may, in fact, be the first written language. The first archaic homo sapien was thought to have evolved somewhere between 400,000 to 250,000 years ago. Thats an awful long time to forget a lot of wisdom, especially when it could only be passed down verbally through myth.

In terms of me being "on the rails", never. :wacko: But I can help you! Just expand your portrait and you'll have an immediate brain capacity increase of 11% and that is an awful lot of brain cells, helpful aren't I? :innocent:

Wisdom eh? carving on tortoise shells.. poor tortoises! not like they could get away in a hurry!!post-58664-1233984414_thumb.jpg

Wisdom eh? carving on tortoise shells.. poor tortoises! not like they could get away in a hurry!!post-58664-1233984414_thumb.jpg

I don't know about that? That little guy in your photo is certainly moving, I don't know if I could catch him? Maybe they set Chinese tortoise snares? :w00t:

I don't know about that? That little guy in your photo is certainly moving, I don't know if I could catch him? Maybe they set Chinese tortoise snares? :w00t:

Well, if they do, I hope they are big enough to catch bad men!!! You are BAD!! :lol: