Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

World's largest ever snake discovered

UM-Bot

snakebig.jpg
A new species of prehistoric giant boa constrictor, the "Titanoboa", has been discovered. This behemoth of the reptile world lived several million years ago, weighed as much as a car and was as long as a school bus, putting even the most terrifying of Hollywood's giant movie snakes to shame.

"The largest snake the world has ever known — as long as a school bus and as heavy as a small car — ruled tropical ecosystems only 6 million years after the demise of the fearsome Tyrannosaurus rex, according to a new discovery published in the journal Nature.

Partial skeletons of a new giant, boa constrictor-like snake named “Titanoboa” found in Colombia by an international team of scientists and now at the University of Florida are estimated to be 42 to 45 feet long, the length of the T-Rex “Sue” displayed at Chicago’s Field Museum."

arrow3.gifView: Full Article | arrow3.gifSource: University of Florida

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stargazer123

• War Eagle

• PaperMoon

• Dezmond

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you say so.....no picture of the remains eh?

I wondered the same thing, so I searched around. Here is an article that was about the same thing, but a little more interesting. There is an image of an anaconda vertebrae compared to titanoboa vertebrae.

http://scienceblogs.com/notrocketscience/2..._snake_ever.php

post-53238-1233859591_thumb.jpg

Why is their no giant land animals today?

I wondered the same thing, so I searched around. Here is an article that was about the same thing, but a little more interesting. There is an image of an anaconda vertebrae compared to titanoboa vertebrae.

http://scienceblogs.com/notrocketscience/2..._snake_ever.php

I know they better not try to clone that sucker back into existence! :o

How could man/science have missed a thing that size? ...

Methinks it's boash!t, but i guess the truth will come out soon enough.

On the other hand, the bloodsucking dino shapeshifting reptilian reptiod master is back!

back in the days the earth's oxygen was clean and animals and human has grown triple in size..

today's world our oxygen is mixed with chemical and our life span has shorten...

back in the days the earth's oxygen was clean and animals and human has grown triple in size..

today's world our oxygen is mixed with chemical and our life span has shorten...

actually human life span has increased considerably over the centuries....

actually human life span has increased considerably over the centuries....

He means in the very early Biblical days before the flood. The flood changed the planet and affected all life even mankind. It's the sun that ages us and before the flood the earth had a huge canopy of water over the whole planet protcting all life from harmful rays of the sun that's why they lived so long back then for like hundreds of years till as time passed the lifespan of man got shorter and shorter. Now it's starting to get longer again because of technology. :)

He means in the very early Biblical days before the flood. The flood changed the planet and affected all life even mankind. It's the sun that ages us and before the flood the earth had a huge canopy of water over the whole planet protcting all life from harmful rays of the sun that's why they lived so long back then for like hundreds of years till as time passed the lifespan of man got shorter and shorter. Now it's starting to get longer again because of technology. :)

But that is fiction.

• 1 month later...
Hmmm... if that's a Titanboa then what's this

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3845750/

Reticulated Pythons are big too... Perhaps only rare ones reach 40 feet or above..

That one was proved to be a 21 foot long hoax. Largest verified living snakes these days sit somewhere around 32 feet.

Edited by BaneSilvermoon

According to the article:

''Based on the snake’s size, the team was able to calculate that the mean annual temperature at equatorial South America '60 million years ago would have been about 91 degrees Fahrenheit, about 10 degrees warmer than today', Bloch said.''

Yet we led to believe Planet earth is right here & now going thru some kind of Global Warming and or Climate *cough* Change? Does that mean...naaahhh...

''Call me Sssnake''

You have to be kidding...

It will interesting to see what else comes of it with further studies.

I find it so strange that people on this thread are automatically skeptical of the find. Giant snakes? Certainly plausible just look at dinosaurs.

According to the article:

''Based on the snake’s size, the team was able to calculate that the mean annual temperature at equatorial South America '60 million years ago would have been about 91 degrees Fahrenheit, about 10 degrees warmer than today', Bloch said.''

Yet we led to believe Planet earth is right here & now going thru some kind of Global Warming and or Climate *cough* Change? Does that mean...naaahhh...

''Call me Sssnake''

The dropping temps in the tropics from millions of years ago could have a lot to do with volcanic eruptions. Scientists already know that volcanic eruptions have lowered temperatures in the tropics within the last 450 years. This could likely be the cause of the lower temperatures from than and now which does not discredit global warming.

Edited by stargazer123

It will interesting to see what else comes of it with further studies.

The same as always i guess scientific uncertainties and speculations.

I find it so strange that people on this thread are automatically skeptical of the find. Giant snakes? Certainly plausible just look at dinosaurs.

Good point...

But not sure it has anything to do with skepticism or not, more like p/s cynicism...on my behalf, anyway :D

Scientist themselves aren't even certain of their find...

The dropping temps in the tropics from millions of years ago could have a lot to do with volcanic eruptions. Scientists already know that volcanic eruptions have lowered temperatures in the tropics within the last 450 years. This could likely be the cause of the lower temperatures from than and now which does not discredit global warming.

As i understood it, they not talking about lower earth temps back then but an increase in comparison to now that caused these snakes(?) to become so massive.

Bottom line: Just from that short extract, they've given us alot of ifs could have's & would have's...can you blame anyone for being cynical :hmm:

The same as always i guess scientific uncertainties and speculations.

Good point...

But not sure it has anything to do with skepticism or not, more like p/s cynicism...on my behalf, anyway :D

Scientist themselves aren't even certain of their find...

As i understood it, they not talking about lower earth temps back then but an increase in comparison to now that caused these snakes(?) to become so massive.

Bottom line: Just from that short extract, they've given us alot of ifs could have's & would have's...can you blame anyone for being cynical :hmm:

No Rebel I cannot blame you for being cynical love, I'm cynical of some of my own family who strangely enough also closely resemble giant snakes. ;)

I'll have to pat myself on the back for that pun since there is cynisism I'll add some egotism for fun. :lol:

Edited by stargazer123