Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Marijuana Cuts Lung Cancer Tumor Growth

D1CKY D1AMOND

Science Daily

The active ingredient in marijuana cuts tumor growth in common lung cancer in half and significantly reduces the ability of the cancer to spread, say researchers at Harvard University who tested the chemical in both lab and mouse studies.

They say this is the first set of experiments to show that the compound, Delta-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), inhibits EGF-induced growth and migration in epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) expressing non-small cell lung cancer cell lines. Lung cancers that over-express EGFR are usually highly aggressive and resistant to chemotherapy.

THC that targets cannabinoid receptors CB1 and CB2 is similar in function to endocannabinoids, which are cannabinoids that are naturally produced in the body and activate these receptors. The researchers suggest that THC or other designer agents that activate these receptors might be used in a targeted fashion to treat lung cancer.

Another day another study that shows how good the cannabis plant is for our health.

• Like 1

Refresh my memory on why it's illegal again, please?

• Like 1

and yet ...........

4 years ago my 36 year old brother died of cancer. stem cell which migrated to his lungs. Chemo was done , but they couldn't do pin point radiation to his lungs for the tumors that spread there . why you ask ?

he was an avid pot smoker and that was why. no he didn't smoke cigarettes , but was a daily pot smoker . ( for the long reason at the moment I can't remember )

FYI - his consult doctor was the one who treated Lance Armstrong.

Edited by Lt_Ripley

because like alcohol it. among other things/ slows reaction time. maybe both should be illegal or those who do either not issued drivers license . ?

Edited by Lt_Ripley

This is nothing to do with smoking it, that makes it carcinogenic. This is ISOLATED THC, extremely different thing.

my godfather (heavy cig smoker) is taking cannabis pills for his lung cancer.

vaporization eliminates or greatly reduces intake of carcinogens, so lung damage can be prevented while reaping the other benefits of the plant.

Cannabis was made illegal in 1920 along with alcohol and other drugs.... Because 98% of the public outcry was only to get the booze back that's the only thing they took off the list.

and yet ...........

4 years ago my 36 year old brother died of cancer. stem cell which migrated to his lungs. Chemo was done , but they couldn't do pin point radiation to his lungs for the tumors that spread there . why you ask ?

In the world we live in now our entire environment has become carcinogenic. People who don't smoke anything are getting lung cancer at astounding rates these days.

By what you said though his lung cancer was the result of having cancer spread through his body.... He was at stage 4 cancer and regardless of what treatment options people choose at this late in the game there is little to no chance of survival.

he was an avid pot smoker and that was why. no he didn't smoke cigarettes , but was a daily pot smoker . ( for the long reason at the moment I can't remember )

Then how come they can do this on on people who smoke cigarettes...

Did you ever think about getting a second opinion at the time? I would have... My grandmother was an avid pot smoker and smoked tobacco as well, she received pinpoint therapy on a lung tumor and she toked the whole time she was on treatment. She only had 1 tumor and survived, she is still alive and well now and kicked cigarettes too.

because like alcohol it. among other things/ slows reaction time. maybe both should be illegal or those who do either not issued drivers license . ?

This would be unconstitutional and is in every free nation on the globe. The drug war has failed anyway and pot will become legal within a decade once economies tank so much that they can no longer afford to spend endless money fighting a losing battle.

Why should people not be allowed to drive when they use.... A vast majority of people who drink or toke are quite responsible and also socially productive.

For the record anyone who compares a pot high to an alcohol one has never smoked pot. Alcohol makes people reckless, impairs judgment and destroys your body. Pot makes you a little thirsty, hungry and makes things more fun even if they suck.

The only reason why pot is illegal now is because of it's threat to the multibillion dollar pharmaceutical industry which spends countless dollars on lobbying against it as well.

Pot should be legal because of it's benefits not only because of it's medicinal properties but also economical, industrial and environmental benefits as well. It would also cut down violent crime and put most drug dealers out of business since a vast majority of them deal in pot only.

People should be allowed to put whatever they want into their bodies within the privacy of their own homes.

my godfather (heavy cig smoker) is taking cannabis pills for his lung cancer.

vaporization eliminates or greatly reduces intake of carcinogens, so lung damage can be prevented while reaping the other benefits of the plant.

There is only 1 known carcinogen in cannabis and it is benzine. The content of benzine is so low however the risk of lung cancer is negligible. Vaporization is far better then smoking for cancer patients or people with other lung issues like asthma and emphysema...

===

Cannabis as a medicine was one of the main reasons I joined med school... It's not getting the attention it deserves publicly, politically and medically in most of the world.

Cannabis was made illegal in 1920 along with alcohol and other drugs.... Because 98% of the public outcry was only to get the booze back that's the only thing they took off the list.

In the world we live in now our entire environment has become carcinogenic. People who don't smoke anything are getting lung cancer at astounding rates these days.

By what you said though his lung cancer was the result of having cancer spread through his body.... He was at stage 4 cancer and regardless of what treatment options people choose at this late in the game there is little to no chance of survival.

Then how come they can do this on on people who smoke cigarettes...

Did you ever think about getting a second opinion at the time? I would have... My grandmother was an avid pot smoker and smoked tobacco as well, she received pinpoint therapy on a lung tumor and she toked the whole time she was on treatment. She only had 1 tumor and survived, she is still alive and well now and kicked cigarettes too.

This would be unconstitutional and is in every free nation on the globe. The drug war has failed anyway and pot will become legal within a decade once economies tank so much that they can no longer afford to spend endless money fighting a losing battle.

Why should people not be allowed to drive when they use.... A vast majority of people who drink or toke are quite responsible and also socially productive.

For the record anyone who compares a pot high to an alcohol one has never smoked pot. Alcohol makes people reckless, impairs judgment and destroys your body. Pot makes you a little thirsty, hungry and makes things more fun even if they suck.

The only reason why pot is illegal now is because of it's threat to the multibillion dollar pharmaceutical industry which spends countless dollars on lobbying against it as well.

Pot should be legal because of it's benefits not only because of it's medicinal properties but also economical, industrial and environmental benefits as well. It would also cut down violent crime and put most drug dealers out of business since a vast majority of them deal in pot only.

People should be allowed to put whatever they want into their bodies within the privacy of their own homes.

There is only 1 known carcinogen in cannabis and it is benzine. The content of benzine is so low however the risk of lung cancer is negligible. Vaporization is far better then smoking for cancer patients or people with other lung issues like asthma and emphysema...

===

Cannabis as a medicine was one of the main reasons I joined med school... It's not getting the attention it deserves publicly, politically and medically in most of the world.

You didn't address my point though. Smoking pot is not medicinal. The effect comes from THC being isolated and separated. Just taking the plant as is not healthy.

I know few smokers that be glad to hear this...

You didn't address my point though. Smoking pot is not medicinal. The effect comes from THC being isolated and separated. Just taking the plant as is not healthy.

Actually, smoking pot is medicinal. Hence the medicinal clinics in California. They aren't selling pure THC. They are selling pot. If you ask people who are on synthetic THC, they will tell you that because it is synthetic, it is much more concentrated and gives them bad side effects. That's why a lot of people resort to smoking it illegally. There are numerous medical and scientific studies showing the benefits of marijuana. Marijuana is actually one of the most benign substances known to man. Marijuana has never been linked to lung cancer in humans. Only when it is combined with smoking cigarettes does it even factor in. Marijuana actually helps control asthma. I could list tons of medical benefits, but I don't have my book here with me and I don't want to quote study results without being able to back it up.

I would suggest a book called, "Why Marijuana Should Be Legal". Tons of studies and statistics relating to medical, environmental and sociological reasons.

An open mind is required during reading.

Edited by Pandora7321

Actually, smoking pot is medicinal. Hence the medicinal clinics in California. They aren't selling pure THC. They are selling pot. If you ask people who are on synthetic THC, they will tell you that because it is synthetic, it is much more concentrated and gives them bad side effects. That's why a lot of people resort to smoking it illegally. There are numerous medical and scientific studies showing the benefits of marijuana. Marijuana is actually one of the most benign substances known to man. Marijuana has never been linked to lung cancer in humans. Only when it is combined with smoking cigarettes does it even factor in. Marijuana actually helps control asthma. I could list tons of medical benefits, but I don't have my book here with me and I don't want to quote study results without being able to back it up.

I would suggest a book called, "Why Marijuana Should Be Legal". Tons of studies and statistics relating to medical, environmental and sociological reasons.

Thank you, Pandora. :wub:

More people do stupid things on alcohol than they do smoking marijuana. If any of them should be criminalized it definitely should be alcohol. Anyways this is what I learned in sociology class: When the elite begin to adopt a practice that was previously illegal it will then be decriminalized.

You think smoking pot will cure lung cancer. No it simply will not. I have read medical reports about it and journal articles and they all say it should be isolated, not given as is.

As for benign, long term use destroys your short term memory and can be a serious issue if you are prone to psychosis and can cause a problem that was not a problem initially to become on.

Marijuana as a respiratory carcinogen.

Adverse effects of cannabis.

Article from the Journal Addiction (a real scientific journal on drugs)

There is more consistent evidence that cannabis smoke is mutagenic in vitro (MacPhee et al. 1999; Marselos & Karamanakos 1999; Leuchtenberger et al. 1983). Cannabis smoke produces chromosomal aberrations such as hypoploidy and mutagenicity in the Ames test (Bloch et al. 1983) and it causes cancers in the mouse skin test assay of carcinogenicity (MacPhee et al. 1999). The fact that it is cannabis smoke that is carcinogenic (Bloch et al. 1983) suggests that any cancers caused by cannabis smoking are most likely to develop in organs that receive maximum long-term exposure to cannabis smoke or its constituents, namely, the lung and possibly the upper aerodigestive tract (mouth, tongue, oesophagus) and bladder (MacPhee et al. 1999).

W Hall, D MacPhee - Addiction, 2002: Cannabis use and cancer

Airway effects of marijuana, cocaine, and other inhaled illicit agents

[Obstructive, occupational, and environmental diseases]

Marijuana smoke contains a number of carcinogens and co-carcinogens, including vinyl

chlorides, phenols, nitrosamines, reactive oxygen species, and several ...

The Association Between Marijuana Smoking and Lung Cancer

I'd say you book was pretty inaccurate.

Edited by Mattshark

Thank you, Pandora. :wub:

Well, you're welcome. I find that most responsible smokers are educated smokers. We know what we're putting into our bodies and what the side effects may be. I also find that some of the most vocal opponents to legalization have never smoked and tend to quote the same old rhetoric that has been re-hashed since the "Reefer Madness" days. Everytime I see one of those stupid anti-pot commercials I just crack up. I told my boyfriend it's Reefer Madness 2009.

Mind you, I believe in moderation in all things. I'm not talking about the people who smoke on a Cheech & Chong or Spicole scale. They're are always going to be the absolute burnouts. Just like they're will always be social drinkers and alcoholics.

You think smoking pot will cure lung cancer. No it simply will not. I have read medical reports about it and journal articles and they all say it should be isolated, not given as is.

As for benign, long term use destroys your short term memory and can be a serious issue if you are prone to psychosis and can cause a problem that was not a problem initially to become on.

I'm prone to psychosis..and herb does nothing but help me..

The facts do not seem to be in your comment--or in favor

Edited by CosmicStaR

~Um, no I do not believe it will cure lung cancer. I do not believe it is a cure for anything and if you read my post I do not believe the word cure is even mentioned.

~And of course they say that. MARIJUANA IS CURRENTLY ILLEGAL. Do you really think they'd say, "Yes by all means, go buy pot illegally and smoke it!"?

~And as I stated in my previous post, destroying your short term memory is an example of an old misconception that just keeps getting regurgitated over and over again. Yes, long term use of marijuana can affect your short term memory but it does not destroy it. It used to be thought that the THC was absorbed by the neurons and they exploded. Killing the brain cell. But, thanks to good old modern technology, they now know that it simply coats the neurons, making it harder for them to receive the signals. Once you stop smoking or decrease the amount the effect wears off and you regain it.

~Many substances can cause certain psychosis to come out in people who are all ready prone to such. Alchohol being the main one and it's entirely legal.

I'd say you book was pretty inaccurate.

Uh, no. I'd say you need to read more carefully when you site a study so as not to prove yourself inconclusive. But, hey thanks for proving me right in what I was trying to say anyway :tu:

Results Nineteen studies met selection criteria. Studies that examined lung cancer risk factors or premalignant changes in the lung found an association of marijuana smoking with increased tar exposure, alveolar macrophage tumoricidal dysfunction, increased oxidative stress, and bronchial mucosal histopathologic abnormalities compared with tobacco smokers or nonsmoking controls. Observational studies of subjects with marijuana exposure failed to demonstrate significant associations between marijuana smoking and lung cancer after adjusting for tobacco use. The primary methodologic deficiencies noted include selection bias, small sample size, limited generalizability, overall young participant age precluding sufficient lag time for lung cancer outcome identification, and lack of adjustment for tobacco smoking.

Conclusion Given the prevalence of marijuana smoking and studies predominantly supporting biological plausibility of an association of marijuana smoking with lung cancer on the basis of molecular, cellular, and histopathologic findings, physicians should advise patients regarding potential adverse health outcomes until further rigorous studies are performed that permit definitive conclusions.

Edited by Pandora7321

~Um, no I do not believe it will cure lung cancer. I do not believe it is a cure for anything and if you read my post I do not believe the word cure is even mentioned.

The evidence suggest it'll cause it.

~And of course they say that. MARIJUANA IS CURRENTLY ILLEGAL. Do you really think they'd say, "Yes by all means, go buy pot illegally and smoke it!"?

Irrelevant point. Heroine and opium are illegal and but morphine is used. Cocaine is illegal but novocaine is used.

~And as I stated in my previous post, destroying your short term memory is an example of an old misconception that just keeps getting regurgitated over and over again. Yes, long term use of marijuana can affect your short term memory but it does not destroy it. It used to be thought that the THC was absorbed by the neurons and they exploded. Killing the brain cell. But, thanks to good old modern technology, they now know that it simply coats the neurons, making it harder for them to receive the signals. Once you stop smoking or decrease the amount the effect wears off and you regain it.

Actually that has only been shown for short term users. Long term users have not been shown to regain short term memory after abstinence.

Uh, no. I'd say you need to read more carefully when you site a study so as not to prove yourself inconclusive.

Results Nineteen studies met selection criteria. Studies that examined lung cancer risk factors or premalignant changes in the lung found an association of marijuana smoking with increased tar exposure, alveolar macrophage tumoricidal dysfunction, increased oxidative stress, and bronchial mucosal histopathologic abnormalities compared with tobacco smokers or nonsmoking controls. Observational studies of subjects with marijuana exposure failed to demonstrate significant associations between marijuana smoking and lung cancer after adjusting for tobacco use. The primary methodologic deficiencies noted include selection bias, small sample size, limited generalizability, overall young participant age precluding sufficient lag time for lung cancer outcome identification, and lack of adjustment for tobacco smoking.

Conclusion Given the prevalence of marijuana smoking and studies predominantly supporting biological plausibility of an association of marijuana smoking with lung cancer on the basis of molecular, cellular, and histopathologic findings, physicians should advise patients regarding potential adverse health outcomes until further rigorous studies are performed that permit definitive conclusions.

Called cherry picking what you have done their.

No significance is not unexpected from a small sample size. It doesn't mean there is no effect. It means that further study is needed.

You also bolded this. How exactly does this support your case?

Given the prevalence of marijuana smoking and studies predominantly supporting biological plausibility of an association of marijuana smoking with lung cancer on the basis of molecular, cellular, and histopathologic findings

I note you have not acknowledge everything there.

Edited by Mattshark

The evidence suggest it'll cause it.

Irrelevant point. Heroine and opium are illegal and but morphine is used. Cocaine is illegal but novocaine is used.

Actually that has only been shown for short term users. Long term users have not been shown to regain short term memory after abstinence.

~The evidence does not support that. See my post above where you're own reference shows the study was inconclusive.

~You saying it's irrelevant is actually, well, irrelevant. There are lots of illegal drugs with legal synthetics. My only point in stating that was because they aren't going to tell you to use the one that's illegal. No one is going to say go buy cocaine, opium and heroine either.

~Excessive Marijuana Use - http://hubpages.com/hub/Long-Term-Memory

Although we don’t entirely know how the brain processes memory, it is thought that the part of the brain called the hippocampus plays an integral role. Marijuana can affect the hippocampus. In studies where marijuana users had to try and recall a list they learned a month ago, they could not, while those who didn’t use marijuana did. Everyone’s short term memory is affected by marijuana, but it is thought that excessive marijuana use (several joints a day every day) can damage long term memory. Marijuana stays in the body for a full month after it is ingested or inhaled. However, when it’s gone, it seems to take its bad effects with it.

Called cherry picking what you have done their.

No significance is not unexpected from a small sample size. It doesn't mean there is no effect. It means that further study is needed.

You also bolded this. How exactly does this support your case?

I note you have not acknowledge everything there.

Because you and I are beating each other to the posts. Sorry about that.

I bolded that whole paragraph, not just that one part. I bolded it to show that it states that it was inconclusive.

Because you and I are beating each other to the posts. Sorry about that.

I bolded that whole paragraph, not just that one part. I bolded it to show that it states that it was inconclusive.

I noticed that. It happens, you don't need to apologise.

It said the observational evidence was inconclusive, it does make other important points and specifically mentions a problem that commonly leads to inconclusive results (small sample size) and other potential issues.

Edited by Mattshark

~The evidence does not support that. See my post above where you're own reference shows the study was inconclusive.

~You saying it's irrelevant is actually, well, irrelevant. There are lots of illegal drugs with legal synthetics. My only point in stating that was because they aren't going to tell you to use the one that's illegal. No one is going to say go buy cocaine, opium and heroine either.

~Excessive Marijuana Use - http://hubpages.com/hub/Long-Term-Memory

Although we don’t entirely know how the brain processes memory, it is thought that the part of the brain called the hippocampus plays an integral role. Marijuana can affect the hippocampus. In studies where marijuana users had to try and recall a list they learned a month ago, they could not, while those who didn’t use marijuana did. Everyone’s short term memory is affected by marijuana, but it is thought that excessive marijuana use (several joints a day every day) can damage long term memory. Marijuana stays in the body for a full month after it is ingested or inhaled. However, when it’s gone, it seems to take its bad effects with it.

Other studys show links to cancer however and there are plenty of known carcinogens in there. It is certainly not benign.

I know, I was just pointing out that trails on a synthetic can not be compared to the original source for direct comparison. Clear distinctions should be made between the medicinal product and the drug.

I have seen. however only short term user studies have been done. There have a complete lack of studies with long term users and there is only anecdotal evidence available. Which supports the damage to short term memory permanently with long term use (though anecdotal evidence is far from conclusive and should be treated with suspicion, but with the lack of study it is all there is).

It said the observational evidence was inconclusive, it does make other important points.

You know, it does make other points. My intent was not to cherry pick, but only to cut and paste for the topic you and I were discussing, which at that point, was lung cancer.

Just to make my point clear, I am not stating that marijuana has NO ill effects. It certainly does. As does ANYTHING done in mass quanities. BUT, is it so harmful it should be illegal? Absolutely not. You can die from ingesting too much water. Done in moderation, marijuana is medically and scientifically proven to be much less harmful that many substances which are still legal today such as alcohol. At the same time, it has many, many, many benefits to man.

On a side note, it's been a pleasure conversing with you on this topic, Mattshark. I feel we may never agree, but that's okay. I'm not trying to sway to you my side. See you around.