Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Animal-human embryos questioned

UM-Bot

syringe.jpg
Scientists in Britain sparked significant controversy recently when it was revealed that human DNA could be combined with animal eggs in an attempt to produce stem cells, however a new study now claims that doing so would be pointless as the technique would fail to generate any stem cells in the first place.

"It may be futile to try producing stem cells by putting human DNA into cow or rabbit eggs and making hybrid cloned embryos, a strategy that triggered controversy recently in Britain, a new study says. The animal eggs don't reprogram human DNA in the right way to generate stem cells, researchers report."

arrow3.gifView: Full Article | arrow3.gifSource: CBS News

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PaperMoon

• raphnix

• GypsyWolf

• MrRandomGuy

However, more and more genealogist will try to research and seek success on this.

Since human cloning is just as reachable as genetically cultured livestock, it could be just a matter of time.

The only thing I can think of is what would be produced from such a hybridization. Rabbit people? Cow people? Dear Lord, the furries will cream themselves. But this sounds like it would fail-- human and animal cloning is possible but hybridizing human and animal DNA will probably fail since sperm from one species cannot fertilize that of another. If that were the case we would have hordes of catdogs or skunkcats or horsecows or Heaven knows what out there. I can't believe scientist thought this up.

I am all for stem cell research however, but not this way.

These scientists lack basic common sense. If the sperm and egg are incompatible together than everything else would be too!

Edited by MrRandomGuy

Imagine Human-tigers and Elephant-humans of titanic strength...

I think mutants will emerged not because of evolution from adaptation but from useless experiments.

The only thing I can think of is what would be produced from such a hybridization. Rabbit people? Cow people? Dear Lord, the furries will cream themselves. But this sounds like it would fail-- human and animal cloning is possible but hybridizing human and animal DNA will probably fail since sperm from one species cannot fertilize that of another. If that were the case we would have hordes of catdogs or skunkcats or horsecows or Heaven knows what out there. I can't believe scientist thought this up.

These scientists lack basic common sense. If the sperm and egg are incompatible together than everything else would be too!

Creating hybrids like this has nothing to do with sperm and egg. Nor is having 'incompatible' sperm and eggs mean 2 haploid genomes cannot be fused (not that that was even what they were intending).

They should not be playing around with that stuff!! They are going to end up creating something and setting somehting in motion that will doom all mankind. :o

Naturally it's impossible, but they will keep playing around with it till they modify the "switch" that makes it impossible and disable that switch to make it possible. That's what they will end up doing. Overriding the natural switch that makes reproduction across species impossible. :no:

I wish they would go and do more clever things. Like clear up some pollutions instead.

Exactly!!! :)