Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What is causing my bed to shake?

Rausken

It happened to us and we actually thought it was an earthquake. Apparently not.

I know people will say, oh, your heart is racing and it just feels like the bed is shaking, but when your partner experiences it, too...the bed is shaking. I think it's either a poltergeist-type phenomenon, thoughtform, or it's an actual entity who seems to like messing with people when they're in bed.

I started doing the LBRP (Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram), and the shaking has stopped. There are a lot less things that go bump in the night, as well.

Edited by ChaosRose

My bed in my old house used to shake from trucks going by on the main road, but the road was about 100 yards from the house.

Maybe your bed is cold. Cover it with a blanket. Or maybe its a haunted bed. Or maybe your friends with the monster thats under your bed.

To those of you who know that your vibrating bed is NOT psychosymatic, or personally physiological, know that the reports are coming in globally. I feel privileged to have had 3 years of this same experience with the paranormal. Paranormal does not equate to evil or demonic...there is more to life out there!

Hmm... how exactly do you 'know' it is not psychomatic or physiological?

And with all these folks having it happen regularly and over long periods, not one of them has recorded/properly documented the movement, despite several very good suggestions (eg the glass of water, and the existence of quite cheap nightvision webcams)?

I'm going to put as much effort into solving it as those experiencing it are putting into proving it happens... fair enough?

So wake me when it is documented, otherwise, it seems to be adequately explained by posts like this one.

Hmm... how exactly do you 'know' it is not psychomatic or physiological?

And with all these folks having it happen regularly and over long periods, not one of them has recorded/properly documented the movement, despite several very good suggestions (eg the glass of water, and the existence of quite cheap nightvision webcams)?

I'm going to put as much effort into solving it as those experiencing it are putting into proving it happens... fair enough?

So wake me when it is documented, otherwise, it seems to be adequately explained by posts like this one.

What exactly does it prove if someone writes down dates and times of experiences? I did that for a while, then I just decided it wasn't doing anything for me. If anything, it was just giving the phenomena more attention. Also, it isn't like a bed jumps off the ground. It feels exactly like a small tremor. I doubt something like that is even going to show up on a night vision cam. Not to mention, you'd have to have it on all the time, and be going through hours upon hours of recording. I don't know about other people, but I certainly don't have time for that. And what would you do, put it on the bed with you? And if it did shake, how would you know you weren't just moving your leg in your sleep under the covers?

And suppose by some miracle, and after lots of cups of water spilling on people's mattresses...someone was able to capture footage. What then? Would you suddenly believe them? Of course not. You'd claim it was a hoax. So what's really the point of any of this? That's why people who have experiences tend to want to to talk to others who have had similar experiences (or at least claim to). You figure that there's at least a chance that those people will understand.

I don't even think the point of the post was to prove anything to anyone. If I recall, the person just wanted to know why their bed was shaking. People shared ideas why that might be, but none of us are certain.

Edited by ChaosRose

What exactly does it prove if someone writes down dates and times of experiences?

Where did I ask for just that?

Also, it isn't like a bed jumps off the ground. It feels exactly like a small tremor. I doubt something like that is even going to show up on a night vision cam.

Which means it fits perfectly with the explanations given. Have you or anyone eliminated those possibilities? What about those reporting more violent episodes - are you speaking for them?

Not to mention, you'd have to have it on all the time, and be going through hours upon hours of recording.

It's trivially easy to set up a webcam to detect motion and only record then, so you would just have to view short segments where you (or the bed) moved....

And what would you do, put it on the bed with you? And if it did shake, how would you know you weren't just moving your leg in your sleep under the covers?

I'm glad you asked. I've just put in about 20 seconds of deep thought into how I'd it, and here it is:

Find a reasonable sized (tallish) transparent water container. Half fill it with water (it's hardly likely to splash anybody..). Then using duct tape/cable ties, whatever, secure it to the bed's frame, leaving the waterline unobscured, natch.. Preferably locate it high on the bedhead or similar so any movement in the bed will be exaggerated and shake the water around. Then place the webcam where it can see the waterline and as much of the bed as possible. Focus it on the water, the rest doesn't really need to be sharp.

Set it in night vision (IR) mode and Motion detect (set to high sensitivity) and away you go....

This is like going to a doctor and saying you have a sore ankle.. and then refusing to show her/him the ankle and demanding it be cured anyway.. Maybe getting a webcam set up is a bit more onerous than pulling down your socks... but otherwise it's pretty much the same.

I thought that's what you were meaning by "properly documented."

Which means it fits perfectly with the explanations given.

Except that we checked and there were no tremors. We live in an area where they are frequent and carefully monitored. There would have been something about it online if we had a tremor.

It's trivially easy to set up a webcam to detect motion and only record then

Maybe for the more tech-savvy, which we are not.

I'm glad you asked. I've just put in about 20 seconds of deep thought into how I'd it, and here it is:

Find a reasonable sized (tallish) transparent water container. Half fill it with water (it's hardly likely to splash anybody..). Then using duct tape/cable ties, whatever, secure it to the bed's frame, leaving the waterline unobscured, natch.. Preferably locate it high on the bedhead or similar so any movement in the bed will be exaggerated and shake the water around. Then place the webcam where it can see the waterline and as much of the bed as possible. Focus it on the water, the rest doesn't really need to be sharp.

Set it in night vision (IR) mode and Motion detect (set to high sensitivity) and away you go....

Seems like an awful lot of trouble to go through, seeing as it only happened a handful of times...and certainly not night after night. Besides, like I said before...you and every other skeptic are not going to believe it, anyway. And remind me why I'm bending over backwards to provide you with proof of something I already know.

This is like going to a doctor and saying you have a sore ankle.. and then refusing to show her/him the ankle and demanding it be cured anyway.. Maybe getting a webcam set up is a bit more onerous than pulling down your socks... but otherwise it's pretty much the same.

I don't think anybody asked you to solve the problem, and I'm not sure how you could since you don't seem to believe that this is even possible. Someone shared a story about their bed shaking, and because we've also had that happen to us, I responded. I don't think a) investing in a night vision webcam and b ) setting it up every night for the rest of my life so I can prove to you what I already know happened is really worth my time and effort. Also, I did mention that we seem to have solved it on our own, since I've started doing the LBRP, daily.

Edited by ChaosRose

I thought that's what you were meaning by "properly documented."

When I say 'properly', I mean that it is not just an anecdote or something that must be taken at face value - I should have used the word 'recorded', perhaps.

Which means it fits perfectly with the explanations given.

Except that we checked and there were no tremors. We live in an area where they are frequent and carefully monitored. There would have been something about it online if we had a tremor.

No, there have been many other suggestions made for small vibrations / tremors. I was referring to physiological/psychomatic explanations.

It's trivially easy to set up a webcam to detect motion and only record then

Maybe for the more tech-savvy, which we are not.

And you are not willing to ask for help from someone who is..

Seems like an awful lot of trouble to go through, seeing as it only happened a handful of times...and certainly not night after night. Besides, like I said before...you and every other skeptic are not going to believe it, anyway. And remind me why I'm bending over backwards to provide you with proof of something I already know.

I could set that up in less time than I imagine you have spent typing these posts on this discussion forum, which is, after all, a place where we try to SOLVE mysteries. In order to solve something we first should take a few basic steps to verify that the effect is actually happening.. no? I mean, here I am offering to help in any way I reasonably can, but neither you or anyone else is willing to get off their backsides and genuinely investigate. A cynic might say you at worst invented the mystery, or perhaps just experienced something that you want to be (and remain) 'spiritual' or 'paranormal'...

I don't think anybody asked you to solve the problem

No, but as I said, this entire forum is here for that very purpose, so it seems rather odd to rebuke me for doing exactly that..

and I'm not sure how you could since you don't seem to believe that this is even possible.

If that were true, then testing it and successfully documenting it would surely make me look a right idiot then, so why doesn't someone do that just for the sheer enjoyment of seeing that? And if I didn't believe it was possible, why would I bother offering quite simple, yet comprehensively explained, ways to verify it happening?

Someone shared a story about their bed shaking, and because we've also had that happen to us, I responded. I don't think a) investing in a night vision webcam and b ) setting it up every night for the rest of my life so I can prove to you what I already know happened is really worth my time and effort. Also, I did mention that we seem to have solved it on our own, since I've started doing the LBRP, daily.

Well, I'm delighted to hear that. Has anyone else successfully used the LBRP (Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram) (whatever that is....) for this?

:)

I would think that if it was psychosomatic that both of us wouldn't have felt it. At any rate, we don't seem to have the issue anymore. I don't know if anyone else has used the LBRP specifically for bed shaking, but bed shaking wasn't all that we experienced. We had a bunch of stuff going on, and if you're having a problem with bed shaking, I won't even bother getting into it.

I've also done the Middle Pillar a few times, and I think that has helped, as well. Conventional stuff like sage, salt, crystals, stones, religious items...none of that worked. Although the sage did have a banishing effect on me (sneezefest). I did have a little bit of success with Goetic seals, but it was short-lived. It's great that the LBRP is so short and sweet. I just do it as a part of my morning routine.

If you want to see what it is, you can find youtube videos of it. Not all of them are accurate, and I've found some that don't use the Sign of the Enterer at all. Some of them aren't aware how to make a banishing pentagram, either. Stuff to look for if you're really gonna try to use it for banishing. You start and end with the Qabalistic Cross.

Edited by ChaosRose

• 2 years later...

The same thing happened to me, and I found a way to get rid of it. It is a bit unorthodox but for me it is worth it. What I do is use another source of vibration that vibrates faster than the bed does from the unknown source and put that on my bed when I go to sleep. I am currently using an old 10 inch 600 watt pioneer speaker with the cone removed and cap still in place and powered by a car battery charger. This creates a fairly strong electromagnetic field and a stronger source vibration. 

I'm not sure if it is the electromagnetic field or the vibration of it or a combination of both that prevents the unknown vibrations. This also works when I feel like there is something inside of me vibrating as well. I just put the powered speaker to the location of the vibrating and it gets rid of it.

I have also used small fans and even a transformer which also work, but not as well as the speaker. I can only speculate how and why these things work, so I'm not going to bother with my opinions about it. I just know that it helps me sleep better at night.

If you attempt to wire up a source vibration make sure you know what you are doing before hand, because if you don't it can be a fire hazard. If anyone finds a way to improve on this, please post it here. I wouldn't mind making an even more powerful source vibrator to combat this, and I'm sure other might appreciate it as well.

Thanks.

On 1/30/2018 at 4:47 AM, teknix said:

...I am currently using an old 10 inch 600 watt pioneer speaker with the cone removed and cap still in place and powered by a car battery charger.

...If you attempt to wire up a source vibration make sure you know what you are doing before hand, because if you don't it can be a fire hazard.

Given this really bad advice was duplicated on another thread, I shall repost my reply:

What could possibly go wrong by connecting a car charger directly to a sub-woofer?  :td:

On the slim chance that wasn't a joke/troll post, let me respond by saying that if you just put 12V at a few amps across a sub - it's asking for a disaster including a fire and damage to both items.

If you were serious about this, 'teknix', why did you not explain the SAFE way to power a subwoofer?  Do feel free to elucidate now..., in fact why not post a picture showing your setup showing all the electronics and connections, as well as answering the question about what frequency you used..?  I can't imaging anything worse than adding a new vibration if you already have one, and if you couldn't dial in the exact frequency then a few terms come to mind - harmonics, resonances, standing waves... anyone else thinking of the 'Galloping Gertie' bridge...?

On 3/6/2009 at 11:23 AM, Jon-Jon said:

Under my personal opinion, there are several things that it could be, but to begin with lets leave paranormal for last, first you need to see if anything "rational" can be proven or disproved.

My first suspicion as i read threw your post is plumbing, and waterlines. It is very possible that a waterline, pipe, or vent for your heater could of broke, or cracked in the last few months. If so as it is used and the air or water goes threw, it might be hitting on something, or just might be causing pressure to shake that individual part of the house where your bed is. Even if it can just as easily, if not more happen, due to pipes running threw out the whole building.

The first thing you want to do is move your bed, hopefully as far away from that spot as possible. See if the shaking continues, If it dose, an entity may very possibly be targeting your bed as an object to get your attention. But if it dose I highly suggest that you call a plumber, or something. Because if it continues too long and it actually is due to something hitting the bottom of your floor, or pressure, then you may be in serous risk, and your floor may deteriorate.

So you may want to get an inspector over for that.

If you are absolutely sure that it is not that, i would check your futon next, make sure that the maters is good, I don't know what you would be putting in such a thing, but it could be possible; something might be in it.

If it dose not stop even after you check everything off, i would try getting a new mattress, or whole new bed altogether. Don't let restless nights come to you, I'm sure its not good for your academic carrier or your health.

Thanks for bringing up the topic

- Jon Jon

Edit: It could be the box spring.

I had this experience (subtle bed vibrating) living in a rented apartment before and I knew it was some piping problem. I asked the plumber to checked on it when it started to have annoying (sometimes creepy) sounds in the middle of the night. But it was the apartment below me that had the problem, not mine... One night before midnight, an unusual loud groan came from the pipes before I hear an explosion. Followed by WTF screams from the angry and puzzled young tenants staying below me; apparently, their unit was flooded...  I couldn't stop laughing :D - but ultimately the vibration stopped after the incident.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 2/16/2009 at 6:57 PM, Rausken said:

Alright, I really need some help here. For the past two weeks my bed has started shaking at seemingly random points during the day/night. I thought my mind was just playing tricks on me until my girlfriend sat down on my bed one day and asked why it was moving. I was like, "you feel that too?" Anyway, the shaking is extremely subtle. It's not strong enough the shake the actual bed frame, just my mattress. The shaking will last anywhere from thirty seconds to three minutes and it will happen around three to four times a day. One night while the bed was shaking I decided to investigate.

I grabbed a flashlight and took a look under my bed. The only thing I have under my bed are a bunch of old toys from when I was younger stored in plastic containers. Everything looked normal and nothing was in contact with the lower bed frame. I then lifted the futon off of the box spring to see if there was anything between the two. There was nothing there and the shaking seemed to have stopped. The box spring nor my futon seemed to be shaking. I then put the futon back down on the box spring and my bed started shaking again. I then thought maybe it's due to seismic activity. So I checked a seismograph at a school around 1/4th of a mile from my house. There was no seismic activity at all. I know it's not anything like heavy machinery because I live in a suburban area. The closest place I can think of with that type of machinery is a quarry about seven miles from my house but even then the trucks stick to the highway which is nowhere near my house.

I don't find the actual shaking scary, it's just really annoying. I keep waking up due to my bed shaking. Last night was actually pretty bad, I got around three hours of sleep. Another strange thing, but probably irrelevant is that ever since the shaking began. I have been having some strange dreams, I have never in my life had dreams that felt so real and detailed. Last night I probably had one of the strangest to date but I also woke up and it felt like I had a burn on my left leg. I took a look and it looked normal as if nothing happened. Most of today it just felt like a burn but after taking a pretty long nap it now just feels really sore. I have been thinking of doing an experiment to see which area of my bed the shaking is coming from but due to school I just haven't been able to get around to it yet. Does anyone know what could be causing this? I just want to be able to sleep normally again... :(

Thanks in advance for any help.

Are you okay? This happened to me too. I caught it on camera. It’s a demon. I’m so sorry. I know I sound crazy, but I have SEVERAL recordings. DO NOT RECORD. It gets so much worse if you do. It follows you everywhere and you begin to hear it and see it and it touches you all day and bangs on walls and doors. You need to go to Jesus. I have, and it has gotten so much better. It’s not over yet, but it’s a lot better. Hang in there.

44 minutes ago, HelpingHand said:

Are you okay? This happened to me too. I caught it on camera.

Bear in mind you are responding to a post over 9 years old....  Anyway, I call - post the footage.

It’s a demon. I’m so sorry. I know I sound crazy

No, it isn't, Don't be sorry.  And yes you do.

, but I have SEVERAL recordings. DO NOT RECORD. It gets so much worse if you do. It follows you everywhere and you begin to hear it and see it and it touches you all day and bangs on walls and doors. You need to go to Jesus. I have, and it has gotten so much better. It’s not over yet, but it’s a lot better. Hang in there.

Read the replies given on the thread.  It's quite a COMMON medical problem.  The fact that you and the person you are responding to didn't acknowledge anything already posted here suggests trolling at worst, or laziness / complete lack of desire to find a real explanation at best.

2 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

Bear in mind you are responding to a post over 9 years old....  Anyway, I call - post the footage.

No, it isn't, Don't be sorry.  And yes you do.

Read the replies given on the thread.  It's quite a COMMON medical problem.  The fact that you and the person you are responding to didn't acknowledge anything already posted here suggests trolling at worst, or laziness / complete lack of desire to find a real explanation at best.

None of you know what this is. You think you do, but you don’t, and you’re lucky. Not everything has a rational explanation. I SAW it. I recorded it. It doesn’t matter if you don’t believe me. I am not on here for that. I’m on here to help people that are experiencing the same thing. 

2 hours ago, HelpingHand said:

None of you know what this is. You think you do, but you don’t, and you’re lucky. Not everything has a rational explanation. I SAW it. I recorded it. It doesn’t matter if you don’t believe me. I am not on here for that. I’m on here to help people that are experiencing the same thing. 

Can you please post what you caught on camera? That might help people.

I’m certainly interested in what you caught.

16 hours ago, HelpingHand said:

Are you okay? This happened to me too. I caught it on camera. It’s a demon. I’m so sorry. I know I sound crazy, but I have SEVERAL recordings. DO NOT RECORD. It gets so much worse if you do. It follows you everywhere and you begin to hear it and see it and it touches you all day and bangs on walls and doors. You need to go to Jesus. I have, and it has gotten so much better. It’s not over yet, but it’s a lot better. Hang in there.

Oh look, you're back. Let's see one or two of those SEVERAL videos.

Personally I think you're just here to push a religious agenda with madeup stories of video captures, but I'll gladly change my mind if you post one of these mind-blowing videos you keep talking about.

Edited by moonman

• 1 month later...

Yes, you’re right. Sorry. It was nothing. I was wrong! I sincerely apologize if I scared anyone. I was just confused as to what was happening. And I deleted those videos because they scared me, but it wasn’t anything! Sorry!!