Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Doomsday seed vault's stores growing

UM-Bot

Image credit: Mari Tefre/SGSV
Image credit: Mari Tefre/SGSV
The number of seeds stored in Norway's "doomsday" seed vault are continuing to grow with hopes of preserving over 100,000 different crop varieties from extinction.

"The stores of seeds in a "doomsday" vault in the Norwegian Arctic are growing as researchers rush to preserve 100,000 crop varieties from potential extinction. The imperiled seeds are going to be critical for protecting the global food supply against devastating crop losses as a result of climate change, said Cary Fowler, executive director of the Global Crop Diversity Trust. "These resources stand between us and catastrophic starvation," Fowler said. "You can't imagine a solution to climate change without crop diversity.""

arrow3.gifView: Full Article | arrow3.gifSource: PhysOrg.com

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• S2F

• clubfoot O.M.G.

• raphnix

• wise protection

Top Posters In This Topic

Read about this b4 mths back, and still don't buy it... Doomsday paranoia at worst/ Scaremongering at best.

This planet's survived many earth shaking catastrophic events in the past, yet the humble seed continued/s to live on.

On the other hand, we have Monsanto with a global monopoly of frankenstein seeds to help us thru the rainy days, at a price ofcourse.

Edited by REBEL

[/size]Of course we need the Doomsday Seed Vault!! MONSANTO bought up the patents for all the seeds and are changing them to the GMO seeds. A poor farmer can't even save his old seeds anymore with out MONSANTO raising hell. IRAQI farmers who have been planting the same seeds for thousands of years are no longer able to save those old seeds and replant. BECAUSE MONSANTO made a deal with BUSH and the IRAQI farmers now have to buy the GMO seeds from MONSANTO. MONSANTO OWNS YOUR FOOD! We are in deep doodoo people wake up!

Nice. I think other countries should take such step too not only to preserve extinct crop species but also to let our future descendants experience them if ever they're already gone in the market circulation.

Why is it called the "Doomsday" Vault?Why world Norway or ANY government SPEND Millions on such a "Quasi-Secret project? Do the Governments of the world KNOW DESTRUCTION is COMING SOON? Thats the only reason such a seed bank needs to be built in a god-forsaken part of the world. "They" KNOW SOMETHING---And ther'e NOT TELLING the rest of us. 2012 is right around the corner. And i dont like this "Precaution" at all!!!!

Read about this b4 mths back, and still don't buy it... Doomsday paranoia at worst/ Scaremongering at best.

This planet's survived many earth shaking catastrophic events in the past, yet the humble seed continued/s to live on.

On the other hand, we have Monsanto with a global monopoly of frankenstein seeds to help us thru the rainy days, at a price ofcourse.

I agree with you, however, the problem, as the article stated, is also being compounded by the industrialization of farming. I think that the bean variety decline in the U.S. from 578 in 1903 to just 32 in 1983 highlights the problem. Not only do the seeds have to 'cope' with climate change they also have to 'cope' with man actively farming crop diversity out of the 'pool' in the pursuit of higher yields (and profit of course).

Doomsday or not, it's still a good thing to have this kind of vault. Various research institutions around the world are participating in this endeavor. Botanists have certainly more knowledge than us when it comes to long-term plant species preservation.

-Start questioning their reliability only when you get your PhD on their field of study. People like them don't believe on mere speculation. How do I know? I personally know some of them.

Why is it called the "Doomsday" Vault?Why world Norway or ANY government SPEND Millions on such a "Quasi-Secret project? Do the Governments of the world KNOW DESTRUCTION is COMING SOON? Thats the only reason such a seed bank needs to be built in a god-forsaken part of the world. "They" KNOW SOMETHING---And ther'e NOT TELLING the rest of us. 2012 is right around the corner. And i dont like this "Precaution" at all!!!!

Welcome to UM. :tu:

I do disagree with you though. Stockpiling seeds is a smart move. Extinction events have occurred in the past (dinosaurs) and there is no reason to assume they can't happen again. Then there are man made disasters to consider. Either way, there are scenarios that can change the Earth, and not necessarily for the better. So what do you do when such an event is beyond your direct control? Contingencies. That is part of why man is good at surviving, we can look ahead and plan accordingly. :tu:

*Edit: Personally, I don't put any stock in the 2012 doomsday fabrication, because that's all it is....a fabrication. The threat of global warming and possible significant climate changes around the world are more than enough of a reason to save what we can before mother nature decides for us, and our main crops disappear forever.

Edited by Slave2Fate

Welcome to UM. :tu:

I do disagree with you though. Stockpiling seeds is a smart move. Extinction events have occurred in the past (dinosaurs) and there is no reason to assume they can't happen again. Then there are man made disasters to consider. Either way, there are scenarios that can change the Earth, and not necessarily for the better. So what do you do when such an event is beyond your direct control? Contingencies. That is part of why man is good at surviving, we can look ahead and plan accordingly. :tu:

*Edit: Personally, I don't put any stock in the 2012 doomsday fabrication, because that's all it is....a fabrication. The threat of global warming and possible significant climate changes around the world are more than enough of a reason to save what we can before mother nature decides for us, and our main crops disappear forever.

Does this mean that you are not really a Slave2Fate after all, because contingency planning has 'derailed' destiny. Just wondering? :unsure:

I couldn't have said it better myself! :tu:

If you really are concerned with fate of the Earth, start with your environment. Recycle, compost, conserve water and energy. Start a garden. Learn how to preserve the fruits of your labours. Walk to the local farmers market every few days if you have one. You just might find yourself healthier and more fit. .......... and if your dreaded 2012 comes to pass, you might find yourself better equipped to survive in the new environment. ;)

Does this mean that you are not really a Slave2Fate after all, because contingency planning has 'derailed' destiny. Just wondering? :unsure:

Slave2Fate is more of a play on words, I like to think I can choose my fate, for the most part, and I am a slave of that choice. Until a new choice is made, of course. ^_^:tu:

Slave2Fate is more of a play on words, I like to think I can choose my fate, for the most part, and I am a slave of that choice. Until a new choice is made, of course. ^_^:tu:

Yes, already picked up on that with your first comment. I think that the real question is, "is it possible to be a 'slave' to a course of action that one has personally selected, or does that make one it's 'master'?" :tu:

Yes, already picked up on that with your first comment. I think that the real question is, "is it possible to be a 'slave' to a course of action that one has personally selected, or does that make one it's 'master'?" :tu:

Technically it makes you the "master" however there are choices that have a certain amount of self imposed importance. For example, we choose to go to work, so we can provide the basic essentials for ourselves. Most people don't like going to work, but they do it anyway because they feel that it is important. They are in effect a "slave" to that choice. I'm not saying that work is unimportant or sometimes not necessary, but it is still a choice that is made. That may not be the best example, but my brain is not cooperating with me yet today. ^_^

BTW, sorry for going OT, everybody can now go back to their regularly scheduled thread. :tu: