Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Bloop

MysteryMike

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mattshark

• catutie

• MysteryMike

• psyche101

I always thought it sounded more mechanical than natural (listen to the version on Youtube, it's normal speed).

Edit: Never mind, it doesn't appear to be there anymore? o_o

Cthulhu, is that you?

Shame, I wonder if it will show up again though.....

I was basing my speculation on the Wiki entry

" According to scientists who have studied the phenomenon it matches the audio profile of a living creature but there is no known animal that could have produced the sound."

Oh I see. Anyway I checked and it seems to be some kind of mythical squid like creature or some sort? Who knows.

Shame, I wonder if it will show up again though.....

I was basing my speculation on the Wiki entry

Hope so. D:

But I well believe that whatever made the sound is much, much larger than something we're familiar with. Whether a geological anomaly or completely different, no idea, but I hope it's worth the hype.

Edit: Here it is!

Definitely has a mechanical sound to it.

Oh I see. Anyway I checked and it seems to be some kind of mythical squid like creature or some sort? Who knows.

Yeah, basically. Kind of a "godlike" figure in Lovecraft's books.

Wiki, rofl. :) I've never read the books, though I'd like to.

Edited by Ebonykrow

What is your logic in thinking this? You do know this was only recorded a handful of times in the year 1997 never again since then right? If it were a living creature or creatures it would have been detected further since then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloop

this also has the wav file for it.

Exactly, that is why I think a living creature is extremely unlikely. Alternately it could have quite simply have been a mechanical fault.

And the Bloop thing just gave me an idea for my 7th novel. It will be about the Bloop and still trying to think what creature I should have it be in my novel. Maybe I will go with the Leviathan. And I will have the Leviathan in my novel look whatever I want. It will have gills, liungs and more. You know.

Anyway so far. to this day. The Bloop still haven't even been discovered what is making the noise.

Where's the fun in that? :P Logical explanations ruin everything.

I made a character based off the bloop, I'd like to see him enter reality, rofl. (Maybe a little less kind than I made him. And bigger. Three times the size of a blue whale just isn't going to cut it for a sea monster!)

Edited by Ebonykrow

Oh well I see then.

I have my bets that the Bloop is a huge species of giant fish (Since something with gills need to survive down there) is it. Maybe even a giant huge 200 foot long eel. Who knows.

Other things it could be.

-Unknown species of giant octopus

-Relict population of Megalodons

-Maybe even a larger species of Squid bigger then the Colossal Squid

Well who knows, but one thing for sure. It's down there.

Giant fish and great depth = no, no. To much pressure for such a large animal.

Megalodon was a shallow water species of shark and hence is not likely to live that deep and indeed could not live that deep.

Cephalopods can not make noise like that.

Remember this wiki article is based on a media report.

Quoting Professor Robert Elwood "It seems to become a science correspondent all you have to do is fail GCSE science"

Where's the fun in that? :P Logical explanations ruin everything.

I made a character based off the bloop, I'd like to see him enter reality, rofl. (Maybe a little less kind than I made him. And bigger. Three times the size of a blue whale just isn't going to cut it for a sea monster!)

Well then. I will make the Leviathan in my novel three times the size. Thanks for that idea.

Well maybe the Bloop is the Cloverfield Monster.

linked-image

rofl i love the second pic that they show rofl. hey maybe the cloverfield monster went into the ocean rofl one of the fakest movies ever. it was EXTREMLY shaky i didnt even know what was happening 90% of the time. mostly cause he had the cam in the OPPOSITE direction instead of right on what they were looking at lol rofl. but i hadnt heard that till now. interesting..............now i want to know what made it. whale??? <_<

rofl i love the second pic that they show rofl. hey maybe the cloverfield monster went into the ocean rofl one of the fakest movies ever. it was EXTREMLY shaky i didnt even know what was happening 90% of the time. mostly cause he had the cam in the OPPOSITE direction instead of right on what they were looking at lol rofl. but i hadnt heard that till now. interesting..............now i want to know what made it. whale??? <_<

It probably isn't a whale as it was heard in the deepest depths of the ocean and a Whale can't live down there since they need air to breathe. It might be some giant fish creature or something. Then that will make sense.

I've heard of it; but didn't pay much attention til I heard the whole story behind it.

It could be the Leviathan; or perhaps the Kraken. There are creatures that survive that far down; and it's really not so far fetched that a form of life may have adapted to an extremely high-pressure environment. If such a creature existed, and was undisturbed for centuries; who's to say that it couldn't have grown to a gargantuan size?

I've heard of it; but didn't pay much attention til I heard the whole story behind it.

It could be the Leviathan; or perhaps the Kraken. There are creatures that survive that far down; and it's really not so far fetched that a form of life may have adapted to an extremely high-pressure environment. If such a creature existed, and was undisturbed for centuries; who's to say that it couldn't have grown to a gargantuan size?

Not at extreme depth it could not.

Firstly: Depth = high pressure = size restriction = small animal

Secondly: deep sea = no primary production = very little food = size restriction = small animal

On top of that: deep sea = no marine snow = very little food = size restriction = small animal

It is the exciting world of deep sea ecology.

That is why it is beyond extremely far fetched, it way beyond reasonable doubt.

Also nothing from NOAA to say what the potential size of what has made this noise is or anything to suggest that it is deep sea. They do say however it has been picked up by sonar operators for decades and is still picked up.

I would personally hypothesise a deep sea geological feature.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn. Cthulhu fhtagn. Cthulhu fhtagn!

That being said... Mechanical was always my first guess, Mattshark's geological idea is also plausible.

In his house in R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming about cookies. :)

ya my vote forever and always until proved otherwise is Cthulu. And they're not just any cookies they're hybrid cookies.

I have to go against the grain here, I reckon it has a Whale-like groan to it. Use this realtime version of The Bloop for comparison with noise reduction applied. Whales can sound quite mechanical I think. consider this Dwarf Minke sound - quite Alien sounding, but I fell the Bloop does have a range of familiar sounds, the first part almost likens to this Atlanitc Recording of a Blue Whale and then around 40% in, it has a sound quite similar to a Humback Wheeze-Blow and then at abpout 60% there is something similar to a dull Orca vocalisation - like this one.

Quite simple really, half Blue Whale, Half Humpback and half Orca. We have a Bluehumpca. :geek:

Edited by psyche101

Hi guys,

there was a thread about this finishing about maybe six months ago or such - there might be some more info there :)

Linky Here

ya my vote forever and always until proved otherwise is Cthulu. And they're not just any cookies they're hybrid cookies.

Wow hybrid cookies, dopeness! :)

Guys heard about the Bloop. It is a sound that was heard by some navy and they say if it is a animal. It could be larger then the Blue Whale.

Um for some reason. I don't think the sound is from an animal though. I mean the only animals that can survive in the deepest depths of teh ocean are small to medium size fishes and others like that, but a creature bigger then teh Blue Whale couldn't survive down there. Don't you think. Maybe the Bloop is just some vibration after all vibration is everywhere and just travels or if it is an animal. It is just the movement from it and last thing I have to say is that the Bloop Shound doesn't sound like a animal roaring or breathing.

What do you think? :huh:

I think this specie would belong to cryptology.

Funny things to note:

In the very same year the bloop was heard (1997) there was a very strong El Nino event (heating of areas in the pacific ocean).

Bloop location was somewere in the south pacific.

Heard someone once say that the sound made by the bloop could be carried futher then normal by the hotter water of that year and create this strange occurence?

Maybe the bloop is just a normal whale song but heared further then normal because of the El Nino?

Not sure though what the temperature relates to the distance/intensity of sound in water. All i know for sure is that sound does travel faster in warmer water.

Dunno, but my first guess was also mechanical (though I honestly wouldn't mind something else :P).

But the sound would have had to travel one huge distance, it doesn't really sound plausible.

I JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!! its the cloverfield monster....he comes out of the ocean every couple decades eats some new yorkers, makes a new movie, goes back to the ocean. that destroys your thinking matt. one, it has its food source.....new yorkers. two it makes those little spider thingys. three the deep pressure cant kill it because remember at the end they blew new york up with a necular bomb....well now they are making a second movie so it has to have lived threw it rofl. IT ALL MAKES PERFECT SENSE come on dont fight it :lol:

Not at extreme depth it could not.

Firstly: Depth = high pressure = size restriction = small animal

Secondly: deep sea = no primary production = very little food = size restriction = small animal

On top of that: deep sea = no marine snow = very little food = size restriction = small animal

It is the exciting world of deep sea ecology.

That is why it is beyond extremely far fetched, it way beyond reasonable doubt.

Also nothing from NOAA to say what the potential size of what has made this noise is or anything to suggest that it is deep sea. They do say however it has been picked up by sonar operators for decades and is still picked up.

I would personally hypothesise a deep sea geological feature.

"The sound, traced to somewhere around 50° S 100° W (South American southwest coast), was detected repeatedly by the Equatorial Pacific Ocean autonomous hydrophone array, which uses U.S. Navy equipment originally designed to detect Soviet submarines. According to the NOAA description, it "rises rapidly in frequency over about one minute and was of sufficient amplitude to be heard on multiple sensors, at a range of over 5,000 km." According to scientists who have studied the phenomenon it matches the audio profile of a living creature but there is no known animal that could have produced the sound. If it is an animal, it would have to be, reportedly, much larger than even a Blue Whale, the largest known animal on the earth."

From Wikipedia. I know I'll likely be criticized for taking Wiki's Info Seriously; but they patrol the pages often and there is little chance of any misinformation.

Likely a living creature, then. Besides, size restrictions can be defied, if the animal has an extremely adapted body structure. There are creatures that thrive in water at boiling temperature and above; who's to say with certainty that there couldn't be a creature with a highly specialized body structure living that far down? Squid go close to that depth. There's also a possibility the creature could be surviving off nutrients from the Deep-Sea Vents. No one can really say for certain, until we send a probe down to check and see what it is.