Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can animals see ghosts/spirits?

Force Of Good

I was wondering if animals like dogs can see ghosts or spirits, because my dog barks a lot when there's no one there, for example lots of times she will be in the kitchen and she will bark even if she doesn't want to go outside, no one rang the doorbell, and there's no one in the kitchen. So I don't know if she's seeing a ghost or she's just dumb. :D Now I don't think no one can know for sure if animals can see ghost/spirits but I would love to hear your opinion thanks.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Agent. Mulder

• Arienne

• SkullofBears

• Force Of Good

I was wondering if animals like dogs can see ghosts or spirits, because my dog barks a lot when there's no one there, for example lots of times she will be in the kitchen and she will bark even if she doesn't want to go outside, no one rang the doorbell, and there's no one in the kitchen. So I don't know if she's seeing a ghost or she's just dumb. :D Now I don't think no one can know for sure if animals can see ghost/spirits but I would love to hear your opinion thanks.

I do believe that animals can sense things. I'm not a dog owner but I do have a cat. She has stared at various points (such as the upper areas of walls) in my abode for no apparent reason and meowed, loudly and repeatedly. This has happened in other places I have lived as well. There's never anything there.

In order to see anything, my cat would need to sleep less than 92 hours per day.... and that is just beyond her....

I was wondering if animals like dogs can see ghosts or spirits, because my dog barks a lot when there's no one there, for example lots of times she will be in the kitchen and she will bark even if she doesn't want to go outside, no one rang the doorbell, and there's no one in the kitchen.

I think they can for sure. We've got three dogs (two border collies and a shihpoo) and a cat and they all display behaviours that indicate they are seeing something that I can't. Our oldest dog, Maggie, and our dog Sassy who just passed away, see things the most. Maggie becomes weary, and Sassy would bark. Our staircase and kitchen are the areas of the house that these things happen most. Frequently we would have to go and get Sassy, because she would stand at the top of the stair case and bark. She would kind of back up, cower a little and bark. Like she wanted to move forward but couldn't do it because of what she saw/felt. So I'd have to carry her down. Once in a while you could coax her to come down the stairs on her own. Those times, she would cautiously move down some of the stairs, and once she got passed the point were the engery/ghost/whatever was, she would RUN!

If Maggie notices something, she will not go near it. The first time we noticed this happen, was the kitchen. Our kitchen has three entery ways, one leading to the basement, one to the dining room and one to the living room. When she's afraid to go into the kitchen, she'll sit in one of the door ways and cry, looking at us. As I started to say, the first time we noticed this we tried everything to coax her into the kitchen. Because we guessed what was going on, but wanted to test it. We put a hot dog on the floor, did everything we could think of. Finally, my brother dragged her into the kitchen. I rememver so clearly, she sat there, with her head down, ears down, looking terrified. She would NOT move. He had to drag her back out into the living room because she was just frozen. It only gets that bad occasionally, but usually she just will be walking and then hustle away from a spot. You can tell when she is spooked. My younger border collie, Bailey, notices these things but they do not bother her at all.

I think animals are a lot like children when in these areas. A lot more sensitive.

Just by 2cents :)

Emily

I believe they can, but also - how old is your dog? Dogs barking at nothing, staring into walls etc are usually signs of dementia in dogs too..

I believe they can, but also - how old is your dog? Dogs barking at nothing, staring into walls etc are usually signs of dementia in dogs too..

Oh, she's just 1 in human years.

From personal observation I would say Yes they can. Though in my home they are easily distracted by Bats, Mice, and noisy bugs as well. As always look for the Logical reasons first, then the Paranormal if nothing else fits.

From personal observation I would say Yes they can. Though in my home they are easily distracted by Bats, Mice, and noisy bugs as well. As always look for the Logical reasons first, then the Paranormal if nothing else fits.

Bats, mice, and bugs. Geez where do you live?lol

Cats have been associated with witchcraft (mostly black ones) for hundreds of years.I'm willing to believe that they can see ghosts too.My cat,a black cat named Whine *** (Whiney for short),stares at the ceiling time and time again,the hair on his back standing on end as he does.He also does this when exposed to music by Marilyn Manson...(no joke!)

Of course other animals can see spirits. Animals such as dogs and cats can easily see/feel on levels that the majority of humans can't. I believe that we can see/feel at different frequency levels, but most of us have to develop this sensitivity.

Because spirit entities exist on a higher frequency level, most times we can not perceive them, with the exception of some people that have a natural or developed sensitivity to receive higher frequencies. I believe that many times a spirit entity can make contact with us if we are on a similar frequency level, and with time and interaction that frequency becomes more acute, thus increasing the depth of activity/contact. In the case of animals, I believe that they are naturally more in tune with other frequency levels, which enables them to see and feel a larger spectrum of energy. This is said to be true with newborn infants as well.

I also strongly feel that we as adult humans can develop this sensitivity, by first rejecting the poison of a perceived linear paradigm. Being socialized inside of this paradigm from young children to adulthood, vastly restricts our ability to connect with the wide spectrum of energy that encompasses who/what we truly are. I believe that most animals are free from this linear perception of their reality.

Cats have been associated with witchcraft (mostly black ones) for hundreds of years.

I respectfully submit:

Myth started by religious fanatics in their witch hunts. While some older civilizations considered black cats as bad luck, others held them sacred (Romans & Egyptians). From my experience old myths have nothing to do with whether an animal can sense things we can't. They can, their hearing and olfactory glands are far keener than ours for starters. I've also had pets, both cats and dogs that have reacted and behaved as if they definitely saw and heard something whether I could "feel" something there or not.

So yes, I think they can see spirits.

As an aside, I caught an evp of a child's voice on my front doorstep.

Often after walking my dogs....one of them insists on sitting on the doorstep for a few minutes before coming in-and he acts as if he's looking at something invisible to me when he does this.

Plus: Ditto what Arienne said :tu:

Edited by nolonger

O.K., how about not talking like these things are proven facts. It is all speculation, yet some people are answering with definitive answers.

Edited by SkullofBears

My two cents worth says cats can see things that we can not. You can see them stare at 'nothing' and their eyes pupils will start expanding. If any animal can do it, I would bet it is the cat. Plus I do believe that some humans can see spirits, so why not other animals?

I believe so. In fact, some say that if you rub the animal's tears, dirt on your own eyes, you'll see them too. But I do not think that many would like to try.

Edited by AGoodWriter

O.K., how about not talking like these things are proven facts. It is all speculation, yet some people are answering with definitive answers.

If countless testimonies across the face of the globe from people who have intimate connections with their pets/animals isn't definitive enough for you, do some deeper research about animal sensitivity to energy and their powerful abilities to feel and perceive. Do the research, it's not speculation at all.

I think they can for sure. We've got three dogs (two border collies and a shihpoo) and a cat and they all display behaviours that indicate they are seeing something that I can't. Our oldest dog, Maggie, and our dog Sassy who just passed away, see things the most. Maggie becomes weary, and Sassy would bark. Our staircase and kitchen are the areas of the house that these things happen most. Frequently we would have to go and get Sassy, because she would stand at the top of the stair case and bark. She would kind of back up, cower a little and bark. Like she wanted to move forward but couldn't do it because of what she saw/felt. So I'd have to carry her down. Once in a while you could coax her to come down the stairs on her own. Those times, she would cautiously move down some of the stairs, and once she got passed the point were the engery/ghost/whatever was, she would RUN!

If Maggie notices something, she will not go near it. The first time we noticed this happen, was the kitchen. Our kitchen has three entery ways, one leading to the basement, one to the dining room and one to the living room. When she's afraid to go into the kitchen, she'll sit in one of the door ways and cry, looking at us. As I started to say, the first time we noticed this we tried everything to coax her into the kitchen. Because we guessed what was going on, but wanted to test it. We put a hot dog on the floor, did everything we could think of. Finally, my brother dragged her into the kitchen. I rememver so clearly, she sat there, with her head down, ears down, looking terrified. She would NOT move. He had to drag her back out into the living room because she was just frozen. It only gets that bad occasionally, but usually she just will be walking and then hustle away from a spot. You can tell when she is spooked. My younger border collie, Bailey, notices these things but they do not bother her at all.

I think animals are a lot like children when in these areas. A lot more sensitive.

Just by 2cents :)

Emily

I think this is a very important post in this thead and possibly the most vital one. Does the Animal go back into the kitchen? Did you take it to the vets?

If countless testimonies across the face of the globe from people who have intimate connections with their pets/animals isn't definitive enough for you, do some deeper research about animal sensitivity to energy and their powerful abilities to feel and perceive. Do the research, it's not speculation at all.

I'm sorry, but I did not make the claim that animals, can without a doubt, sense ghosts and spirits. It is your responsibility to have information to back up your own claim with evidence. As far as countless claims, those are not scientific proof, they are still just people's opinions. What about all of pet owners, who don't believe something is a ghost when their pet acts strange? The frequency level of ghosts is also just a theory. Care to back that up solidly? Unless it has proven scientifically to be a fact, please do not claim it is.

I think this is a very important post in this thead and possibly the most vital one. Does the Animal go back into the kitchen? Did you take it to the vets?

Oh my, thank you :)

Yes, she goes back into the kitchen eventually, as if nothing happened. Maggie is 14 and has lived in this house her entire life - and has always done this. The stair case and the kitchen have always been the areas of the house that this happens in. Occassionally it might happen in the living room, she'll be walking and then suddenly start cowering, staring usually at the old trunk that is up against the wall. Yes she has been to the vet, the only thing wrong with her is arthritis in her back.

Probly worth it to mention that our house is over 170 years old. It was actually a rail road depot in the late 1800s. In the 1950s it was moved from Elko to our town, cut in half and made into two separate houses (ours and the neigbor's house.) The two pieces were then added on to. Our house contains the half of the depot that had the ticket windows (they are our kitchen windows now.) We have photographs framed the kitchen of the original depot while it was still intact, from the county historial society. Also, three years ago this May, my younger brother died at the end of our driveway, Maggie was his dog. He was a passenger in his friend's car, it was hit as his friend was turning into the driveway (his friend didn't see the dump truck comeing at all.) Matt was the only one who died, and we don't have any doubt he has stuck around as well (the activity in the house increased greatly and has remained that way since his death.) I think Maggie sees/feels him too, because sometimes she will be on the couch and start wagging her tail and whining, looking at nothing. Could be a coincidence, but then again with all the other things that happen, I wouldn't be suprised if she did see him.

And when I mention things happening since he died, it's things happening right in front of us.

Emily

I'm sorry, but I did not make the claim that animals, can without a doubt, sense ghosts and spirits. It is your responsibility to have information to back up your own claim with evidence. As far as countless claims, those are not scientific proof, they are still just people's opinions. What about all of pet owners, who don't believe something is a ghost when their pet acts strange? The frequency level of ghosts is also just a theory. Care to back that up solidly? Unless it has proven scientifically to be a fact, please do not claim it is.

So SkullofBears, solid evidence is strictly scientific huh? That is precisely why people that believe that have a much harder time gaining understanding about things paranormal, like animals having sensitivities to spirit energy. The scientific method can only travel so far in terms of validating certain phenomena. And believe me, the scientific method has its place in the scheme of things, but its just one side of an extremely large coin.

And since it's my responsibility for having information to back up my claims, we'll start with the most basic lesson. This will help you to loosen your grasp from the scientific method. Just simply find a quiet spot beneath a tree, and sit in silence. Do this for a year, silently observing the changing of the seasons and how natural things change and react, all the while taking note of how your energy feels in relation to this. Touch the trees, observe the sky, and listen to the birds. Do this for a year then we can have a discussion about how much the scientific method lacks the ability to validate personal extrasensory experience.

But if you are not open to the possibility of gaining new understanding, then simply forget the above statements.

So SkullofBears, solid evidence is strictly scientific huh? That is precisely why people that believe that have a much harder time gaining understanding about things paranormal, like animals having sensitivities to spirit energy. The scientific method can only travel so far in terms of validating certain phenomena. And believe me, the scientific method has its place in the scheme of things, but its just one side of an extremely large coin.

And since it's my responsibility for having information to back up my claims, we'll start with the most basic lesson. This will help you to loosen your grasp from the scientific method. Just simply find a quiet spot beneath a tree, and sit in silence. Do this for a year, silently observing the changing of the seasons and how natural things change and react, all the while taking note of how your energy feels in relation to this. Touch the trees, observe the sky, and listen to the birds. Do this for a year then we can have a discussion about how much the scientific method lacks the ability to validate personal extrasensory experience.

But if you are not open to the possibility of gaining new understanding, then simply forget the above statements.

So basically you have no evidence, you are just giving me the run around. If I wasn't open to the gaining new understandings of things, I would not be here. Unless you can back up what you type, do not claim it is a fact. It is your opinion, and I beg to differ with it.

Edited by SkullofBears

Oh my, thank you :)

Yes, she goes back into the kitchen eventually, as if nothing happened. Maggie is 14 and has lived in this house her entire life - and has always done this. The stair case and the kitchen have always been the areas of the house that this happens in. Occassionally it might happen in the living room, she'll be walking and then suddenly start cowering, staring usually at the old trunk that is up against the wall. Yes she has been to the vet, the only thing wrong with her is arthritis in her back.

Probly worth it to mention that our house is over 170 years old. It was actually a rail road depot in the late 1800s. In the 1950s it was moved from Elko to our town, cut in half and made into two separate houses (ours and the neigbor's house.) The two pieces were then added on to. Our house contains the half of the depot that had the ticket windows (they are our kitchen windows now.) We have photographs framed the kitchen of the original depot while it was still intact, from the county historial society. Also, three years ago this May, my younger brother died at the end of our driveway, Maggie was his dog. He was a passenger in his friend's car, it was hit as his friend was turning into the driveway (his friend didn't see the dump truck comeing at all.) Matt was the only one who died, and we don't have any doubt he has stuck around as well (the activity in the house increased greatly and has remained that way since his death.) I think Maggie sees/feels him too, because sometimes she will be on the couch and start wagging her tail and whining, looking at nothing. Could be a coincidence, but then again with all the other things that happen, I wouldn't be suprised if she did see him.

And when I mention things happening since he died, it's things happening right in front of us.

Emily

Cool. Good post. Very interesting indeed. Keep us updated if you can. :)

Cool. Good post. Very interesting indeed. Keep us updated if you can. :)

Oh I will for sure! This was like my first post here, so it's nice to have been able to jump right in!

Emily

If humans can, then why not certain species of animal with similar visual capacities?

Other animals other than us humans have senses that we do not possess. They have more instinct, and yes, they can sense ghostly or spiritual presence. It depends on how strong the ghost/spirit's energy is. The animal may not care or consider it if the ghost is weak in strength, but the stronger the apparition is, the more sensitive and aware the animal is to it. Dogs are not the only animals known for reaction: Birds, cats, and even some human infants are also some that possess this ability, or other sense.

Other animals other than us humans have senses that we do not possess. They have more instinct, and yes, they can sense ghostly or spiritual presence. It depends on how strong the ghost/spirit's energy is. The animal may not care or consider it if the ghost is weak in strength, but the stronger the apparition is, the more sensitive and aware the animal is to it. Dogs are not the only animals known for reaction: Birds, cats, and even some human infants are also some that possess this ability, or other sense.

That is ridiculous, where is you scientific basis that infants, birds, dogs and cats have more instinct *Or a 'SixthSense'* than a full grown human? If anything, humans are vastly more aware of these things due to what we call our intelligence.