Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Men and women process art differently

UM-Bot

Image credit: Leonardo Da Vinci
Image credit: Leonardo Da Vinci
A new study has suggested that gender is a determining factor in how beauty is processed and understood by the brain.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and whether that beholding eye belongs to a man or a woman may determine how beauty is processed and understood in the brain, according to a small, preliminary study. Researchers asked 10 men and 10 women to decide which paintings and photographs they found beautiful, while brain scans revealed which parts of their brains were active while they examined each image."

arrow3.gifView: Full Article | arrow3.gifSource: Discover Magazine

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UM-Bot

• :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

• Lt_Ripley

• raphnix

Top Posters In This Topic

This would be one reason why the term "Women are from Venus, Men are from Mars" is truthful to its meaning.

I don't care what gadgets they used, I disagree with just about everything they said except for the part referring to the 'different jobs' and having to process information specifically to achieve their goals of survival.

I think, Pretty much, appreciation of the aspects of art isn't processed based on gender, it's based on individual likes and tastes. Some men love the arts - some don't, some women love the art's - some don't. Some people like detail - some like the big picture... but I think gender doesn't have much to do with it.

These are just my thoughts based on meeting many many folks from all walks of life and recognizing that 'There's No Real Accounting For Taste In Art'. I've always been amazed at the preferences of arts that individuals like over the arts they don't like.

I agree with Lt Ripley,

I wonder what the difference would be in male and female artists.

Wow that was very interesting! :) That may explain why in general more women appreciate art, even though there are plenty of men who appreciates art. :)