Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Smell of death?

crookedass

First of all, I'm sorry if this has been posted in the wrong section. I wasn't quite sure where to post it, so if it is feel free to do what is appropriate :)

My father died almost 7 months ago now, he died in August of last year of a massive heart attack. It came as a complete shock to the entire family. He was rather overweight, because he ate lots of unhealthy foods and was an alcoholic, but he admitted this, he enjoyed it, he was sensible about it, he didn't let it affect relationships in anyway. but that doesn't matter. Like i said, he died of a heart attack in August '08. On the day of his funeral, we had a viewing of him lying in his coffin. I didn't smell anything, but my mum, who had been with my dad for 24 years, smelled this horrible smell, she said it was the smell of the embalmments used to preserve the skin and body from decomposition.

The thing is this smell has stuck with my mum, she seems to have been the only person who smelled it. The smell comes and goes at no apparent pattern. Until recently she just assumed it was just a smell stuck with her. My mum visited a friend who said that, the smell, was a of my dad letting my mum know that he was near her, close enough for her to smell him. When her friend told her this she realised that the only time's she's smelled it was in our house, where he lived. While driving by the place he died, and at his grave. So if it really is my dad making his presence known, it makes sense that his spirit lingers at the place he lived, died, and was buried.

And in the last few days I have had this feeling, of which i can call death. I really can't explain it. However last week I was speaking to my dad, my beliefs and such is not a topic of question, and i asked him to let me know that he was watching over us. I can't remember the exact day i spoke to him, but i know that the dead communicate within 3 days/weeks/months, as me and my mum attended a reading and my dad came through and said "happy birthday" to my mum. This was in October, and 3 months later, was my mums birthday in January.

The reason I'm posting this is to ask if anyone else has experienced this, or has any other information, or confirmation that this may be a way of the dead contacting the living??

any replies would greatly be appreciated

thank you :) x

Edited by crookedass
  • Like 1

Maybe your dad really wants your mom to know that he's still there. And maybe he knows that appearing as a ghost will probably scare her and finds another way of allowing her to know his presence. And no , I do not have any experiences of this nor have I heard of this before.

• Like 1

That's quite a weird story though I believe somehow with those kind of experiences.

If you have strong bond with your father, he'll let you know how things will go since he look after your family.

you mentioned that it is a horrible smell? it is quite odd since horrible (rotting) smell are used to categorized something bad or evil. And I know your father is a very good man, (am I right?), and if it is like that then how come the smell would be horrible?

Horrible in the sense that it is awfully rotting odor? or something really fragrant?

But as long as you don't feel anything bad happening around then you are safe with your late father... ^_^

Correct me if I'm wrong guys...

First of all, I'm sorry if this has been posted in the wrong section. I wasn't quite sure where to post it, so if it is feel free to do what is appropriate :)

My father died almost 7 months ago now, he died in August of last year of a massive heart attack. It came as a complete shock to the entire family. He was rather overweight, because he ate lots of unhealthy foods and was an alcoholic, but he admitted this, he enjoyed it, he was sensible about it, he didn't let it affect relationships in anyway. but that doesn't matter. Like i said, he died of a heart attack in August '08. On the day of his funeral, we had a viewing of him lying in his coffin. I didn't smell anything, but my mum, who had been with my dad for 24 years, smelled this horrible smell, she said it was the smell of the embalmments used to preserve the skin and body from decomposition.

The thing is this smell has stuck with my mum, she seems to have been the only person who smelled it. The smell comes and goes at no apparent pattern. Until recently she just assumed it was just a smell stuck with her. My mum visited a friend who said that, the smell, was a of my dad letting my mum know that he was near her, close enough for her to smell him. When her friend told her this she realised that the only time's she's smelled it was in our house, where he lived. While driving by the place he died, and at his grave. So if it really is my dad making his presence known, it makes sense that his spirit lingers at the place he lived, died, and was buried.

And in the last few days I have had this feeling, of which i can call death. I really can't explain it. However last week I was speaking to my dad, my beliefs and such is not a topic of question, and i asked him to let me know that he was watching over us. I can't remember the exact day i spoke to him, but i know that the dead communicate within 3 days/weeks/months, as me and my mum attended a reading and my dad came through and said "happy birthday" to my mum. This was in October, and 3 months later, was my mums birthday in January.

The reason I'm posting this is to ask if anyone else has experienced this, or has any other information, or confirmation that this may be a way of the dead contacting the living??

any replies would greatly be appreciated

thank you :) x

I have never had an experiance like that with dead relitives or friends. They do however communicate by doing things to let them know their ok. But I began a spiritual battle with demons. The demons would actally talk to me, and one night i was in my bed room and this strong nasty stench came in my room and they said it was the smell of death. I don't know if this helps you, but I thought I'd reply it to you. I use to play with a ouija board. Thats how I got the demon to come through. I was told by a fellow christian of mine not to talk to the dead. I don't want you to get one. Sometimes when you are channeling spirits, they come through pretending to be your father. I know one girl who started chatting with her dead granfather. And that turned out to be a demon, and suffered greatly for it.

GBU

Katy

• Like 1

i wish i knew what to tell you.My mom died in 1982 after a stroke. We smelled nothing when we saw her in the coffin.The only thing regarding smell that happend, was when a few days after her burial my sister and i were sitting in the car, waiting for our dad to come out. My sister and I got the smell of flowers,however,we didn't have any growing in the front yard,and we both realized it was jungle Gardinia perfume we smelt. It was Momma saying good bye to us. I think she kind of hung around,to make sure we were okay, but then she left. When my dad passed away, he didn't linger,he was gone to momma. We also did not smell any odor of death when he was in the funeral home either.

Very strange indeed.Unless the funeral home didn't do a great job enbalming, there should not be any smell. I have dreams sometimes with either my mom or dad, or even both in them.Just their way of saying hello.The death smell is really odd.By the way, anyone else in the family smell it?

I wonder how much of this is your mom creating the smell on a psychosomatic level? It must might be her strong emotions triggering olfactory hallucinations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

to: PercyJackson

i personally haven't smelled this odor. however my mum said it had a kind of fragrance as she said "it's the smell of that make up stuff on his face" and she said "i have that smell again, but im not sure if its a body wash i used" and i can understand why it is thought to be bad or evil when i say its a horrible smell. my dad was a good man, he loved nothing more in life than spending time with his family, thats all that mattered to him. he would obviously argue and shout, but thats natural. he wasn't a bad person or evil. my mum said that it is a strong horrible smell than hangs around for a while, and i too are confused as to why he would give off a horrible smell to show his presence. nothing bad or evil is happening around me.

to: katy

i have only ever played ouija board once in my life. i stopped playing as soon as i felt things going wrong, i ended the game and that was that, nothing bad or evil happened after that. this happened along time before my dads death and i believe it has nothing to do with evil spirits following my mum and giving off this smell.

to: hollydolly

im sorry to hear about your mother and father :(

you see, i dont think it was anything to do with the quality of embalmment, as no body else who was present at the funeral service smelled this. i was in with my mum viewing my dad. it was just me and her, we were standing beside each other. she smelled this odor, but i didnt. my mum asked others if they had smelled it, and they said no. it seems to only be my mum who has ever smelled it.

may i add that i do not believe that this smell is coming from a type of soap or body wash my mum uses. she will wake up one day and get showered, and she wont have the smell in her nose, but perhaps hours later she'll get the strong odor in her nose for the rest of the day. it comes on very suddenly and can last for a long time then go away. almost in the way someone will come in and out your house in the time it takes to enter/exit the door.

like i said in my original post she's only ever smelled it in our house, where my dad lived. in the funeral home (where she first smelled it), at his grave, while driving by the area he died, and, as i forgot to say in my original post, in the hospital ward a few hours before my dads elder sister passed away from cancer in december. when she got this smell in the hospital ward while visiting my auntie, it was accompanied by what my mum describes as "a little flashing ball of light flying around the room" she saw this ball of light and was awfully surprised and shouted "what the **** was that!?" and she asked my cousin and other auntie, who she was talking to at the time, if they had seen it, and they both said they hadnt seen anything and gave her a weird look.

and going back to my mums friend, she said that this smell is my dad letting her know that he's there near her, and that the flashing light was my dad visiting the hospital ward to take my aunties spirit away to wherever they reside. as i said this was the night that my auntie died.

Edited by crookedass

Hi ~ from my expierence Parents & Spouses are the first to come through after departing. It is about family to them. . . Smells are easily associated with their loved ones, so yes, smells have been documented many times. It really all depends on the living and their abilities as well. If you are sensitive you are more likely to have a vision, otherwise gentle touches or smells. It usually takes several months for anything to happen, but in some cases it can happen rather quickly. I was woken up about 6 months after my dad died, and saw him sitting at the end of my bed with his white t-shirt and white boxers on. He was only there for about 5 seconds, just long enough for us both to acknowledge each other, and that was it. Once your father realizes that his family is indeed aware of his presence ~ and he is, since you and your family are speaking of it ~ he will most likely move on, or remain in the background. The smells will become fainter over time.

Kat

Your Mom may be "more sesitive" to smells in general. All communication begins with our senses.

I have a couple of friends who are nurses..... both claim when someone has or is dying of cancer they can smell it. a sicky sweet smell.

• Like 1

I have a couple of friends who are nurses..... both claim when someone has or is dying of cancer they can smell it. a sicky sweet smell.

Wow, that's interesting.

I totally know the smell. My father died 10 years ago this month. I will never forget the smell that was around him at the wake. No one else could smell it. I haven't smelled it since. I wish I could explain the smell.

• Like 1

I've had something like this...

My step dad died and for about a month after I could always smell like a rotten italian food it was horrible!

Then when I eventually told my mum I could smell it she said she could too and then that was it, I've never smelt it again...

hmmm.

It's odd.

and 'Lt_Ripley ' It's true my nan died in my brothers room after a battle with cancer and she always smelt overly sweet & when she died it was really overpowering.

xo

This thread grosses me out a lil because I know of what kind of smell that u r talking about. The unforeseen event that your mom is going thru must be stressful. There is going to be a certain smells of your father that will remind her of him. Some ppl will change everything and dispose of the old belongings of the Deceased. I do not know much about Preparing the Body, he was a heavy man and decomposing does strange things to the body. I have seen tears running down on the side their faces and odd noises. How old is your mother? She might have to clean out her sinuses..buy her lots of flowers. Sorry about your Dad and I do like your belief.

It is possible to matrix smells. What happens is you will usually get 2 smells that interact that make a totally new smell that you cannot identify. As an example you might have a air freshener in the house and then start cooking something on the stove. Those 2 smells combine to make a new smell and your mind doesn't know what to make of it. When this happens your brain tries to find an explanation.

Since you had a death in the family and it is no doubt weighing heavy on your mothers heart, she may be matrixing that smell of embalming fluid from the funeral. In other words she is taking a unknown smell and her mind thinks it is the smell of the funeral when it really isn't that at all. Matrixing can also be done with your eyes and ears.

At the same time, hauntings will sometimes take on smells that were familiar to them in life. As an example if a person smoked a pipe in life, you might smell that smell if they were haunting your home after their death.

If it is matrixing the smell will probably not fool her forever and it will go away as time passes. If your house is haunted it probably won't go away. At any rate it is nothing to worry about.

Crookedass My mother smells her mothers perfume, Its not one you can buy anymore and she smells it sometimes out of the random, in the bathroom, or sometimes she wakes at night and smells it, while she is cooking, or just sitting and watching tele. Its a unique fragrance and she smells it every now and then. She finds it rather comforting as she believes it her mothers way of letting her know she is there.

The only thing odd about your story, is that its a horrid smell and not one of a pleasant nature that would remind her distinctly of your father ... *shrugs* :blink:

(Im sorry to hear of your fathers passing :innocent: )

Edited by Ms_Katsipoulis

The death of your Father was most likely a very shocking event to your Mom. Human brains tend to retain such memories in times like that and anything that would smell even slightly similar to what she experienced that day will restore the memory.

This is not saying that your Dad is not there with her and you for that matter. It just means that your Mom may have been traumatized by the experience.

I am truly sorry for your loss.

thanks for all your replies.

the idea of my mum being traumatized (sp?) kind of makes sense. however i'd like to point out that, this smell doesn't remind my mum of my dad, from when he was alive. my dad didn't smell rotten, however sometimes he could smell awful lol cause he works in the land services department so he'd be in contact with dirt, muck, and to say....dog crap, as he cut the grass in gardens and parks. but he'd shower every morning and after work. so this smell isnt from my dad. she first smelled it when she came in contact with the smell from the embalms in the funeral service. she knows it was the embalmments, or atleast...thought it was them, cause the thing is, nobody else could smell this odor. like i stated, i was standing right beside in the viewing, and i dont know what this smell, smells like.

the thing is only my mum smells it, when she was in the funeral service, at his grave, or driving by the place he died, and has smelled it in our house, where he lived his last years, and also has smelled it at the hospital when my dads sister passed away (accompanied with orbs)

so i'd like to think that it is my dad lingering around our home, his grave, where he died, and that he was there to take his sister to where ever they go. the only thing is, i don't understand why he'd make my mum aware of his presence by using such a horrible strong smell.

Well, I'm glad that there's nothing bad happening around.

I really don't see the logic in it, it is a horrible smell and it is a good spirit? I guess we need some experts here now... ^_^

But i will try and look for some exemptions in it. maybe there are really some events that good spirits might exhibit horrible odor...

well yeah, my mum describes it as a strong rotten smell that stays in her nose for hours after it suddenly appears.

No way was my dad an evil or bad person. He'd often say nasty things, but he'd be joking about it, or he'd take it back and apologise.

Peopel who are sick or have slowly failing organs have that bad smell too, i can smell it whem i'm on the bus, sometimes off old people, sometimes off 40/30 year olds, sometimes younger. Sometimes it makes me really sick and i have to breathe through my sleeve xD

Maybe you mother is stressed and haven't been getting enough sleep and she's having this smell herself but didn't notice it before. It doesn't need to originate from something supernatural. It could be either one of you emitting the smell. Especially if your dad was clean, he wouldn't leave smells around after he was dead would he?

Hi Crooked... I agree with Ketsueki Ame. "sick flesh" has a definite smell to it. I remember working in the doctor's office many years ago, and one patient had this smell about her. I remember hoping that the doctor would pick up on it, but he was useless. FINALLY, I got her booked in for a Pap smear and it turned out that she had advanced cervical cancer. (Doc was so proud of himself too!)

Once you smell the scent of death or rotting tissue, you never forget it and it does kind of stay in your memory. Other scents may trigger that memory.

I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but sometimes to me, BO smells like a hamburger and vice versa. It takes a second for me to figure out which. (needless to say I'm not fond of hamburgers! :P)

well yeah, my mum describes it as a strong rotten smell that stays in her nose for hours after it suddenly appears.

No way was my dad an evil or bad person. He'd often say nasty things, but he'd be joking about it, or he'd take it back and apologise.

I know the EXACT smell you are talking of, I have never realised other people could NOT in fact smell this smell. My partner's father died of cancer at home and for the last 6 month of his life, this smell was very distinct, it would permeate the hallway. It would actually make me nauseous. Whenever I would go into the room where he died, I can smell that smell (I spoke of it before in some other thread). I call it the 'kiss of death', and I believe it is literally the smell of the body dying (in this case, cancer) and it IS a sickly sweet smell, so sweet that it is totally fowl, I can understand how someone could describe it as 'rotten'. Please do NOT listen to these ludicrous people saying this is something to do with an "evil entity", that is a ridiculous proposition to make to someone who has just lost their father. I can't explain what exactly this smell is, but I can assure you what your mother is perceiving is not an isolated smell, it is not the smell of 'evil' and it is quite a well known phenomenon amongst nurses and those who work in hospices to report this smell around the dying, or the terminally ill, sometimes months in advance or even prior to a diagnosis.

Here is a forum that might help you, or at the very least, some comfort in regard to this.

http://www.soulcast.com/post/show/59247/Smell-of-Death

The smell your mother experienced as to what I belive is the way of showing the affection your mother had to her husband and the reason why it smells in your house id that that place has witnessed him so long and therefor the brain urges to override your mums senses(Scientifically Explained)...and you talking to your father it would have been a dream....It happens like when my cousin died .......however I cannot guarantee you the accuracy of both the cases since it is paranormal

Thanks

B???

I know the EXACT smell you are talking of, I have never realised other people could NOT in fact smell this smell. My partner's father died of cancer at home and for the last 6 month of his life, this smell was very distinct, it would permeate the hallway. It would actually make me nauseous. Whenever I would go into the room where he died, I can smell that smell (I spoke of it before in some other thread). I call it the 'kiss of death', and I believe it is literally the smell of the body dying (in this case, cancer) and it IS a sickly sweet smell, so sweet that it is totally fowl, I can understand how someone could describe it as 'rotten'. Please do NOT listen to these ludicrous people saying this is something to do with an "evil entity", that is a ridiculous proposition to make to someone who has just lost their father. I can't explain what exactly this smell is, but I can assure you what your mother is perceiving is not an isolated smell, it is not the smell of 'evil' and it is quite a well known phenomenon amongst nurses and those who work in hospices to report this smell around the dying, or the terminally ill, sometimes months in advance or even prior to a diagnosis.

Here is a forum that might help you, or at the very least, some comfort in regard to this.

http://www.soulcast.com/post/show/59247/Smell-of-Death

I second that statement absolutely.. I actually could not believe I read that and then to bring the O'board into it.

• The title was changed to Smell of death?
  • The topic was locked