Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Smell of death?

crookedass

I know that smell as well. I remember being very aware of it in a friends house after her mother had died from cancer (she didn't die in the house) but it lingered for weeks as far as i was aware..I don't know if she could smell it or not.

Do you think it's possible that your mother noticed this particular smell so strongly because it didn't quite register with her scent memory that it was your father or should be what she would have intimately 'known' as your fathers scent. So being that it was a particularly emotional and stressful time when she first smelled it, it's over written her scent memory for now. Perhaps the smell is being triggered when she is feeling stressed or emotional...

Maybe your dad really wants your mom to know that he's still there. And maybe he knows that appearing as a ghost will probably scare her and finds another way of allowing her to know his presence.

Personally, the "odor of death" would scare me a lot more.

I'm really sorry for your dads passing :( but anyways i think your moms problem is that your mind is very powerful and when you think back to anything your mind can reproduce the same smell , feelings , etc and i can somewhat relate to your moms story because once i was in this class with this one rather chubby kid sitting right next to me (every day we changed seats in class) and it appeared that he just had finished up PE class and he was VERY , VERY , VERY smelly I cant even begin to describe how intoxicating the stench was yuck it was terrible and and the whole class i could not get rid of the smell and after the class i could even taste the smell and that was......AMAZING :angry: but seriously i still to this day can actually TASTE IT still and its been about 3 years now so i think your moms problem is that she is thinking about the smell and so her mind is reproducing the smell for her unfortunately

When was the last time she had visited the grave? I have an good guess that she is going to forget this smell..if she lets go and I do hope she does. Grief, normally lasts a year, but it has been almost three decades and it would be hard to let go. I am married for only 16 years so I cant imagine the loss. Right now, she needs positive Energies/Auras s around her. The reason I ask about when she last visited because some certain graveyards might smell or will have that certain “smell”.

I hear smells and memories are closeley linked. And the other senses are ofcourse.

First of all, I'm sorry if this has been posted in the wrong section. I wasn't quite sure where to post it, so if it is feel free to do what is appropriate :)

My father died almost 7 months ago now, he died in August of last year of a massive heart attack. It came as a complete shock to the entire family. He was rather overweight, because he ate lots of unhealthy foods and was an alcoholic, but he admitted this, he enjoyed it, he was sensible about it, he didn't let it affect relationships in anyway. but that doesn't matter. Like i said, he died of a heart attack in August '08. On the day of his funeral, we had a viewing of him lying in his coffin. I didn't smell anything, but my mum, who had been with my dad for 24 years, smelled this horrible smell, she said it was the smell of the embalmments used to preserve the skin and body from decomposition.

The thing is this smell has stuck with my mum, she seems to have been the only person who smelled it. The smell comes and goes at no apparent pattern. Until recently she just assumed it was just a smell stuck with her. My mum visited a friend who said that, the smell, was a of my dad letting my mum know that he was near her, close enough for her to smell him. When her friend told her this she realised that the only time's she's smelled it was in our house, where he lived. While driving by the place he died, and at his grave. So if it really is my dad making his presence known, it makes sense that his spirit lingers at the place he lived, died, and was buried.

And in the last few days I have had this feeling, of which i can call death. I really can't explain it. However last week I was speaking to my dad, my beliefs and such is not a topic of question, and i asked him to let me know that he was watching over us. I can't remember the exact day i spoke to him, but i know that the dead communicate within 3 days/weeks/months, as me and my mum attended a reading and my dad came through and said "happy birthday" to my mum. This was in October, and 3 months later, was my mums birthday in January.

The reason I'm posting this is to ask if anyone else has experienced this, or has any other information, or confirmation that this may be a way of the dead contacting the living??

any replies would greatly be appreciated

thank you :) x

Hi, I lost my Dad as well so I just wanted to say I'm so sorry for you're lost and yes you're Dad is still looking out for you :yes: Now as far as the smell I'm lost on that one because I'm new to the whold Paranormal thing and still a bit of a skeptic when it comes to ghost and such. I hope you find an answer to your question though. Good Luck :innocent:

• Like 1

Maybe your mother was so devastated with the loss of her husband and associated that pungent smell of embalming chemicals to her loss, so when she thinks of him, she recalls her loss, and the embalming chemicals associated with it. Im sorry to hear about your father. take care

My mother told me years after my grandfather had die that on the day he died in the hospital just seconds before he died they all smelled the sweetest smell just fill the room and she said it had a "life" to it because it circled the room like a brezze. until it filled the whole room. In fact right about the time he passed on a nurse came into the room and said (speaking to my gransfather) "smells like someone got some nice flowers" she said as soon as the nurse noticed he was no longer breathing she left the room abd before she could getback with a doctor to prononce him dead (just a few minutes later) the smeel was gone as quickly as it had came.

• 4 years later...

Hi

I know this topic is a few years old, but my sister recently passed away and lately im getting that smell its very strong and sometimes makes me sick. Its not embalming fliud and it comes out of the blue for no reason.

I aslo had a dream that something bad was going to happen a couple of weeks before but did not know it was her. I mentioned it to my other sister and she thought i was going mad. But since my sisters death she is freaking out as this happened with my dad 10 yrs to the day previous. I know some of you are thinking its that i havent come to terms with her death but its not that or that im getting angry about her passsing but no, not that either. I know there is something she is trying to tell me or we are not seeing what really happened. My beautiful sister was young not sick with cancer or anything like that. She just died thats all. So i know what your mum is going through is not nice but i can tell you its stopping the greiving process as all you are concentrating on is that horrible smell. I know that my sister is happy as i have seen her happy with a radiant smile, I know your Dad is happy too. I just want to know what happened my sister and as your now a couple of years on did it go away for your mum. I hope you and your family are doing well and in a happier place

Edited by maryrose45

• 1 month later...

I can relate to your story about your mom, as my self could sense the smell of spirit and I still remember till this days how the smells like. It can be frustrating when I am the only one that could sense it though. The only thing with spirit I just can't see them. One day I could hear the spirit echo voice even when I had my headphone on listening to my music, a little boy calling for 'Anita' 3x, so I had to paused the music, and one more call clearly calling for that name again while it was deadly silent. I froze and felt the goose bump straight away, I felt so cold even I sat next to the heater. I asked my 2room mates whether they heard it too, and apparently some phenomena occurred with them as well from time to time. One said that, when she was asleep, there was a little kid lifted her duvet cover and pulling her big toe, she seemed very scared when she told me. While the other one, she noticed the toilet door was locked from inside for very long time she tried knocking the door many times but no answer, she even tried knocking at my room door but I wasn't home that night.

• 4 years later...
On 2/26/2009 at 0:08 PM, Lt_Ripley said:

I have a couple of friends who are nurses..... both claim when someone has or is dying of cancer they can smell it. a sicky sweet smell.

This is true my dad passed away of cancer I was right beside him till the last minute and it smells exactly as described 

My dad passed two weeks ago. Ever since me and my sister have been smelling the smell of him dying since he’s been gone, I’m also curious if it’s a sign he’s here with us.

• 4 weeks later...

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2009 at 0:08 PM, Lt_Ripley said:

I have a couple of friends who are nurses..... both claim when someone has or is dying of cancer they can smell it. a sicky sweet smell.

I work in nursing and this is very true. we call it the death smell. We can almost always tell when someone is very close to death from their smell (obviously we go by other stuff, but that is true that when death is imminent, you can smell it).

Spirits also like to leave a scent that will make you think of them, such as Grandpa used to like old spice cologne, so you may randomly smell it one night..or mom used to love roses. Same thing. You may suddenly smell these smells and think of them. They want something that will create a stronger connection, so using something that brings back special memories is always one way.

I'm going to throw this in here too..smelling certain smells, like burnt popcorn, can indicate a pending stroke. Not everything is supernatural (and certainly not everything is a stroke either lol) Be mindful and safe :P

• 4 months later...

Honestly, i would consider the "smell of death" to be odorless and sterile. As i suppose it would not be a scent at all (phermones) just a lack of scent. My thoughts is all. I am speaking at the time of death, not days later.

• 1 month later...

I do believe that it is a smell your father knew your mum would react too, and because she has reacted to it, that's a way of him letting her know that he's around.    My brother used to smoke alot so for a while I would smell smoke in his room.   Now he has gotten stronger in his presence around us and flickers things on and off or makes my headlights to my truck come on and off. He hasn't done that in a while though.  Sometime s things happen around us and some people aren't open minded, my mother always asked how come my brother never came to her, but only once she knew, because shortly after he passed everyone was sleeping exept my mom and i,  I heard his heavy footsteps down the hall past my room to my moms and the smell of only roses rushed through the whole house like as if a rose air freshener was sprayed, but it was fresh roses, so strong.                Be open minded always and know that yes in any way your father is looking over the both,   maybe you'll hear a song he used to like or a scent of his perfume, or a smell of alcohol. Something that resembles something he liked. 

• The title was changed to Smell of death?

Please be aware this topic is 9 years old and the OP hasn't been active since 2010. 

Under the circumstances there's little point in keeping this thread going. - Closed.

• The topic was locked