Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Masks

1dumkid

Why is it that a person is more comfortable when they project onto others a sence that they are feeling something completely different then the truth. We all do it, we try to hide what we are thinking or feeling, we try to make others believe that we are happy when we are sad, or that we are exited when we really couldnt care less.

My entire life, I have been reading people, trying to see what is behind their mask. I find out if people are lying, or what they are feeling, in any way I can. I dont know if its natural talent or something that can be learned.

Some people try to act happy, then something they do gives it away that they arent, it could be the look in their eyes, the way they lower their gaze for a few seconds before they answer a question. A slight quiver perhaps.

Why, is my question. Why cant people be comfortable with allowing others to see what is behind their eyelids, let others into your thoughts. Why have we as a race, become the most insane of them all? We hide that we are sad, why not let others know, see what they can do. We are COMPLETELY too closed up in our thoughts, why not share them? Let others find out what you are thinking, let them see what you hide, allow them to learn from it and grow.

What do you all think of this?

What do you hide?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rosewin

• Nik Xues

• Crow Woman

• 1dumkid

In magic if one learns our true name they gain power over you.

once understood a person is easy to manipulate. this mask mechanism is for protection.

However there is the second kind of mask and that is for escaping judgement. see people are prejudice so by changing your behaviour you attract less negative attention.

To remove your mask is symbolic act of courage and defiance. this being the case many never show their true face.

It is because it is in most human's nature to keep secretive. People feel as though they cannot trust everyone. We as humans have always been so. We feel that we cannot give up who we really are and what we are really thinking unless it's a person who we can really trust. People have masks, yes, but if you really want to know what's behind their mask, then you must show them that you can be trusted with what their spirit holds. But some people won't trust their feelings and their being to others, period.

Yes, the reason we don't like to reveal our weaknesses is that they can be used against us. Not everyone will "learn from it and grow", some will simply try to destroy you. Also, I believe there is really no need to let everyone know all that random crap sometimes one is thinking... random irritations, momentary anger with no reason, disgust by some simple and natural things... most of the times, that stuff doesn't mean much, but can hurt others quite well.

And, often people are mean not because they deliberately decided to hurt you, but because they honestly feel that way. If it's their natural reaction, you can't really blame them for this. Then masks help. Without masks we would be living like without skin - very, very painful. Which only leads to scars, and, eventually, another skin, for protection, formed by those scars... so, masks in my opinion are efficient and unavoidable.

I agree 100%, CW and PE. At bottom, it's a survival mechanism.

A survival mechanism taught to you when you were in primary school lol... "Don't take the candy from the strange Jimmy...." All it is is habit.

My entire life, I have been reading people, trying to see what is behind their mask. I find out if people are lying, or what they are feeling, in any way I can. I dont know if its natural talent or something that can be learned.

Some people try to act happy, then something they do gives it away that they arent, it could be the look in their eyes, the way they lower their gaze for a few seconds before they answer a question. A slight quiver perhaps.

These are called micro gestures and even the government is hiring and training personnel for the sole reason of walking around, for instance airports, to study others and if someone displays too many suspicious micro gestures they would be taken aside for questioning. This is in order to combat potential terrorism.

http://webblog.abc7news.com/2008/05/tsa-behavior-de.html

Yes, the reason we don't like to reveal our weaknesses is that they can be used against us. Not everyone will "learn from it and grow", some will simply try to destroy you. Also, I believe there is really no need to let everyone know all that random crap sometimes one is thinking... random irritations, momentary anger with no reason, disgust by some simple and natural things... most of the times, that stuff doesn't mean much, but can hurt others quite well.

And, often people are mean not because they deliberately decided to hurt you, but because they honestly feel that way. If it's their natural reaction, you can't really blame them for this. Then masks help. Without masks we would be living like without skin - very, very painful. Which only leads to scars, and, eventually, another skin, for protection, formed by those scars... so, masks in my opinion are efficient and unavoidable.

If you never say your name out loud to anyone

They can never ever call you by it

from Better by Regina Spektor

Edited by Rosewin

I'm a fan of the quote 'Never do anything the person in front of you can't understand'. Obviously I wouldn't apply this to any situation but I do believe it's useful at times.

I don't see the point in hiding behind a mask, duplicity is no less immoral than what others could do to you if they knew who you really were. I believe the world would be a better place if people weren't so afraid of being themselves, I can't imagine pretending to be anyone I'm not anymore. I learned a long time ago that trying to be someone you're not causes many long term consequences, and most of the time you end up hurting yourself and others around you.

If someone expects reassurance, I think they should be told the truth. The truth isn't always pleasant, but I'd rather hear the truth than a sugar coated lie. Yeah, I get my fair share of flak and criticism, but that's the way it goes. If given another chance, I wouldn't diverge from this path though; it's the only path worth traveling.

Yet when we visit others the family portrait is of smiling faces and while you are there they all act like the picture of perfection. The family portrait lies. The way we act around visitors is an act. Underneath the surface lies many problems. Indeed no one is perfect and if we simply were able to allow us to be able to hurt without shame or hiding it then we would save the world a lot of grief. We would be able to heal faster. Some never do sadly.

There are many ways to answer the question posted in the OP. . . Some have already been addressed, but I thought I would put in my ideas on the subject. . .

Humans are a social creature. Often we do things that are completely against what "we truly are" as an individual. I believe we do these things in order to fit in with the crowd. Every person does this to some extent. There is no greater bane within a social group than to be the outcast (you can look at other social creatures within our world to further understand exactly what happens to those that are "outcasts"). We try, even if we do not consciously realize it, to constantly fit in. . .within whatever group we have chosen, and also with society as a whole. We choose to project to others what we believe they would most likely enjoy to see. . .Not because we are being deceitful, but because we are performing a very basic social function. Without this, we would not be able to exist as a social creature.

If you are truly interested in the subject I would suggest doing some reading on other social animals and also human psychology. It will give much more light on the subject than I will be able to do in this short posting.

It gets much deeper than this lowly explanation. . .but, as it is late, I'm really rather hesitant to post any more, because I don't want to "get anything wrong". . . I'm a bit too tired to address it much further (and, being tired, I'm afraid to get my facts wrong). . .I will try again when its not so late. . . :P

Edited by theGhost_and_theDarkness