Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Death always comes in threes?

Rosewin

Yes in threes, and if born of Curses they can be carried over into 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, and on. Three is the Number pertaining to death, but it does mean that it stops at three if it is worked as an open curse.

Pavot

Edited by Pavot

Quite interesting Pavot. I wonder if WTC in 911 was cursed. Is the number of victims able to be divided by three?

Your comment got me researching more into this and this is just a bit though not about multiples of threes but just threes:

I have heard this superstition when I worked in a nursing home. Whenever one of the old people died, some of the old hands said that two more will follow.

Obviously, this turned out to be true. One day or one week or one month later, more people died. And the old hands said: "See! There it is again, two more people have died. Death comes in threes." (And when the total was four, they simply said okay it will be six this time)

It is a simple and stupid superstition. You can as well stand on the side of a road and say "cars come in threes". And then, after every third car, point out that you were right again.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...11083952AA9aV1M

It's been a long standing adage around where I come from that death comes in three's generally. You will never just see one death in any given short time, like say a month maximum. There will always be three people you know that end up dying within days of each other. For people you don't know, the numbers might not apply, but certainly when the first death is an acquaintance, then you can kiss two more people goodbye. Thankfully though, the closeness of each of the passers-on can vary. So if you lose a close family member or your best friend, then the other two people to die don't necessarily have to be that close to you, you can know them in passing only.

I always ponder how it is that ideas like this come about initially. They're as old as the hills, and I have to guess quite often it's hard to track down the origin, or the reason it originated. They're not like trying to sort out word etymologies where the oldest written use of a word is the most important find. What is also funny about them is how easy it is to see them to be true. It pretty much seems like always three people die close together. I used to joke that you were safe crossing the street if there was only two people crossing at the same time. If you had three then something might happen. If there were four you had to hope that you would be the survivor.

http://rgmale.blogspot.com/2006/10/death-c...-in-threes.html

You've probably heard the old saying "as soon as one family member dies, two more will follow." I never have been able to find the origin of that myth or legend, as it may be called. I'd never been one to give into superstitions anyway.

Of course that was before it happened to me.

I have to admit, that I now firmly believe in the reality of this one.

What convinced me you may well wonder?

The facts.

As cold and calculating as they were.

The year was nineteen ninety-seven. The month was January, and it was an exceptionally cold month, by normal standards.

http://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1318843

Well if you follow the belief that everyone is connected to everyone else in the world by no more than 6 degrees of seperation, then yes, I guess death and bad luck running in 3s is possible.

I remember when I was in highschool they said suicide ran in 3s, yet there was a suicide when I was in school and no one else commited suicide in town for like 10 years after that.

Six Degrees of Seperation Wiki

I've heard it's bad luck that comes in threes.

I've often found myself saying 'whatever next', 'if it's not one thing it's something else'....

I've certainly heard and said to myself many times that bad luck does come in threes.

Death is similiar, but around here, it is said if the funeral/burial is held on a Sunday, this will bring two additional deaths in the family, totaling three.

Oddly enough, my Aunt's Niece (by marriage) died in a car accident and she was in fact buried on a Sunday. In the next two years, my Grandfather (her Father) passed away and my Uncle (her Husband) commited suicide.

So, my aunt has seen three deaths in her family inside two years. Coincidence? Probably. Creepy? A bit. Urban Legend? Convinced.

Edited by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

I have heard the theory that deaths always come in three. So for instance if someone dies there will be two more people connected to them in some form that will also die. The connections could be as close as familial connections or as distant as being associates within the same industry such as Hollywood. Friends, people in the same neighborhood even though strangers, or anything else that has a common factor.

Has anyone noticed this? Does anyone have examples? Do you believe this is true?

Nothing more than an old wives tale to be honest

you know... if everything came in 3s and everyone was related to one another, then no one would be alive

Well if you follow the belief that everyone is connected to everyone else in the world by no more than 6 degrees of seperation

I do not think the above principles have anything to do with the old age adage that 'death always comes in threes'.

A lot of times it does happen in threes. At least that's what I experienced throughout my life.

A lot of times it doesn't

I know 3 people who have died in my family.

Not really seeing a link their.

A recent family death made me think of this. I hope it is not true. I was wondering what if I believed in it so strongly it thus became true...my own belief in it or someone else's would thus cause two more accidents. Well it is not always family based either, it can be community based, or social circle, or industry wide if the people all know each other and are connected....I know that is magical thinking though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magical_thinking

BTW I am just posting my thoughts...not trying to refute you or argue against your point Matt just because I posted right after you...but it is clear lol you are not a believer in this. I guess I am. It's cool.

Years ago when I worked in a Nursing Home in the kitchen, when 1 of the residance passed away it was no time that 2 more would pass away. Thats when I was told that death comes in 3's.

I've heard this all my life and have found it to be true a lot of times. Thank goodness it doesn't always happen, but I've seen it be true more than once! Creepy!

A recent family death made me think of this. I hope it is not true. I was wondering what if I believed in it so strongly it thus became true...my own belief in it or someone else's would thus cause two more accidents. Well it is not always family based either, it can be community based, or social circle, or industry wide if the people all know each other and are connected....I know that is magical thinking though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magical_thinking

BTW I am just posting my thoughts...not trying to refute you or argue against your point Matt just because I posted right after you...but it is clear lol you are not a believer in this. I guess I am. It's cool.

With death, how many people die each day? Not really in threes, it just is continuous. I think people just like reading patterns where there are none. I don't personally think it could be applied to such a thing as death (case in point 19 people crushed to death at a football stadium in the Cote d'Ivoire at the weekend would certainly be described as in threes).

Edited by Mattshark

This is something I have found in the course of my life to be true Bad luck comes in 3 I have three causins who lost there husnbands to death all of them accidents. when my first grandma died I had a uncle and a friend of the family pass all with a few days of each other. Then when my other grandma died I had a great uncle and a cousin die within not too long of each other. My brother lost 3 of his fingers to a work accident in November and since then within the next two months he was in two car accidents. so he has been in three accidents and lost 3 fingers.

I had a brother break his leg when he was younger and within the month my other two brothers both broke a bone. I could go on and on but yes in my family it seems that 3 is a very common bad luck number.

however I think it could be a good number also I just have not figured it out yet.

I do think there is something to do with 3 though people always talk about waking up at 3 in the morning and why. there is a lot associated with the number three.

Edited by Lewys

I had Cousins all three Young Men in their early twenties, healthy and Athletic, Bull Riders and they all three had Diabetes, and they all three got very ill and died within the same year from the Disease.

Pavot

• 1 year later...

A few years ago my (ex)girlfriend was working in an old folks home and told me about death in threes. I know several people who work there and they all mention it whenever the cycle happens. I worked there for a very short amount of time and 1 person died, then he next day, and then a third on the third day. I have no theories myself as to wy though I just though I'd throw it out there that I have heard of and seen the pattern of three deaths.

Years ago when I worked in a Nursing Home in the kitchen, when 1 of the residance passed away it was no time that 2 more would pass away. Thats when I was told that death comes in 3's.

I can vouche for this claim more or less. Deaths in nursing homes do seem to come in groups.

• 5 weeks later...

Yes, and not just death but all bad things, I'll give you some examples

1. Last year my mom's uncle died, a month later my grandmother's best freind died, a month later my grandmother's sister died

2. Two years go our washing machene broke, a week or so later our microwave busted, then our dishwasher started to leak, all had to be replaced, it was a tough year XD

3. About... five years ago my guinia pig died, two months later my best freind's dad had a stroke (and lived) and a month later my dog died, I hadhad my dog for about 7 or 8 years so it was odd that she died then

4. I saw a new doctor for the first time in my life a matter of months ago, a few weeks later my dog went to a new vet for the first time in her life, a few weeks later my grandfather went to a new doctor for the first time in a long time

So not everything that comes in thres is bad, I tend to believe that all things, good and bad, come in threes, sort of like karma

• 4 years later...

Hello everyone,

This is true or atleast I truly think it is. In 2003 my grandfather passed away of a heart attack deer hunting. 4 months later my uncle Jodi passed away when his truck fell on his chest while working on it and his rib pierced through his heart. Just 2 months later our german sheppard we had gotten when I was born was diagnosed with cancer in the mouth and we had to put her down.

Two years ago my grandma Polly died of old age. A month later was my great aunt Cindy who had cancer passed away. Within two months of aunty Cindy her sister was struck by a on coming vehicle. That other vehicle happened to have my friend driving when drunk. She was in a coma for a month before her body just gave out.

This month on the 17th my cousin who is only a month younger than I. His steering in his truck went out. Slid 40 feet on a 40 MPH curve not wearing his seatbelt hit a sign rolled the truck three times and smashed into a row of trees. His body was thrown from the vehicle and the truck was almost split into two. He was air lifted to the hospital and straight into surgery but the injuries were to much and he didn't make it he was 20 and so proud to be in the military he was going to be married in July. The most messed up part of it was he is a mechanic he knew his steering was going out and he was going to fix it over the weekend. He didn't make it in time to do that. Yesterday after work I was taking my son outside to play. I got the call telling me my grandmother I am close with passed away in her sleep I collapsed on the stairs I couldn't move for almost an hour. I had to meet my parents at the funeral home to arrange her funeral. My sister is very very pregnant right now. She has nearly lost the baby twice and almost died herself once throughout this dangerous pregnancy since her body is so frail and tiny. I hope to what ever god there is that my sister isn't the next one on death's list.

As for those of you who don't believe in this. Well to you I say good for you maybe thats why it hasn't happened to you. Then again maybe you should pay attention to how close they are before you have a break from going to funerals. As for me I went to one last Thursday for my cousin. Now I have one on Friday. Their deaths were just 10 days apart. The next who knows 5 days maybe or maybe 5 months either way I am expecting it and praying to god it isn't someone else close to me.

roughly 158,000 people die every day

• Like 1

It also depends how old you get. When you hit your forties you attend more funerals than weddings.

• Like 3

Death coming is threes is absolute nonsense, because everyone makes up their own three.

My grandmother once spoke about deaths in threes -- Elvis Presley, Bing Crosby, and her local butcher!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Several years ago the father in law of a co-worker died and a couple of months later from October to December there were several deaths come in threes. What was interesting about it was every co-worker or person that worked in the same office as I whose first name started with a L had a death in the family. One co-worker who was forced to retire due to health issues whose first name started with L also died during this period. Most of the deaths were fathers or male relatives who were older. The cycle ended the day after Christmas when my father died (my first name has an L in it) Another interesting tidbit is that a co-worker and I had fathers who had the same first name.

Edited by baronesslucy

Several years ago the father in law of a co-worker died and a couple of months later from October to December there were several deaths come in threes. What was interesting about it was every co-worker or person that worked in the same office as I whose first name started with a L had a death in the family. One co-worker who was forced to retire due to health issues whose first name started with L also died during this period. Most of the deaths were fathers or male relatives who were older. The cycle ended the day after Christmas when my father died (my first name has an L in it) Another interesting tidbit is that a co-worker and I had fathers who had the same first name.

co·in·ci·dence noun: a remarkable concurrence of events or circumstances without apparent causal connection.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 2