Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Rosewin

Death always comes in threes?

101 posts in this topic

Skulduggery

It can come in any number. In the last year and a half, over 10 people I knew died.. a few to overdoses and most to medical problems and one suicide. In fact, two of that number were people who lived in the apartment directly below mine.

One guy in that apartment died before I moved into my apartment and I didn't know him but I knew the tenant who lived there right after him. He died last year. They moved another guy in there pretty swiftly and he ended up dying a few months ago. Something about that apartment. So far, they haven't put anyone else in there.

verDominai

Death *sometimes* comes in threes. The myth becomes a thing due to cherrypicking.

p71

I believe death occurs in 3s my whole life this is how it's been. Depending if you believe to the Bible I feel the 3 comes from there. 

Rlyeh
30 minutes ago, p71 said:

I believe death occurs in 3s my whole life this is how it's been. Depending if you believe to the Bible I feel the 3 comes from there. 

Believing in the Bible some how causes death to come in 3s?

ChrLzs

So your chosen deity will intervene and kill someone when only two seem to be happening for you?  Does that make sense to *anyone*?

What makes sense to me is just how much brains love to pattern match, and this is a perfect example.  Given the myth exists (and given human nature to have cool stories to tell) misreporting is guaranteed, and all it takes is to widen or narrow your sphere of 'important' folks, and widen or narrow the time over which this is supposed to be significant.  Add that to the old adages like "..third time (un)lucky..", and you are simply seeing our natural propensity to see things in groups and to want to apply a higher meaning when something happens more than twice..

IF we had a whole pile of folks reporting that the 3 were immediate family and it had happened in the very same day/week/maybe month, maybe it would be worth investigating.  As it is, I see ample evidence of the wide/narrow goalpost-moving that I alluded to above.  I think the pattern of threes is simply that which you decided to define...

• Like 2

JesseCuster
On 7/3/2016 at 8:00 PM, p71 said:

Where does the Bible say that death comes in 3s?

JesseCuster

Interesting to read back on this thread and read the amount of people who say that the urban legend is definitely true, based upon their own anecdotes, i.e. that death always comes in 3s because they can find examples from their own lives that fit the pattern.  

My mother died last year.  What were deaths 2 and 3, or was her death 1 or 2 out of the 3?  What's the timespan that is allowed?  It's been over a year and no-one else close to me has died in the year before or after her death.

I could shoehorn in a couple of deaths if I really wanted to.  My aunt died a month later.  She was my uncle's wife and I hadn't seen her or spoken to her in over 20 years though.  Couldn't even remember what she looked like when she died.  Does that count?  About a month after that a friend of my dad's wife died.  But he was a man I'd met about twice in my life and I'd never met her so that surely can't count.  I'm sure my dad could make a pattern of 3 out of those deaths, but I sure as hell can't make any pattern out of deaths of people I personally knew that came in 3s.  So how can it always be true?

When the game has no rules, anyone can declare themselves a winner.

• Like 3

freetoroam
On Sunday, July 03, 2016 at 8:00 PM, p71 said:

When you say your whole life...can i take it you have many years experience  behind you to give an example of 3  deaths here and 3 deaths there and how long  is the time span between them? Or are you in your late 90's with a whole life of only having 3 deaths of people you know?

ChrLzs

OK, I'm now ready to do an analysis of this, using real statistics.  So, can anyone define the rules for me, please?

What is the boundary for those people whose deaths are important, ie should be counted?  Is it direct/indirect relatives, close/distant friends/acquaintances, famous people you adore?  How are these criteria measurable, after all we need to be precise, surely?  And how were they decided on in the first place and by who?

Then there's the timeframe - what is the limit?  And again, how was this timespan first chosen? (Or do you just wait until the third departure and declare that to be 'it'?)

I'm only partially joking....  Just as an aside, I'd say in my sphere of family, 'reasonably' close friends and acquaintances and workmates, there would be maybe 1-2 deaths per year (and that will increase with time).  So, in a period of say six months, it would be slightly unusual to have two deaths, and quite unusual to have three.  Yet probability ensures that will almost certainly happen a few times in my lifetime.  Yes, definitely worthy of making up a proverb...

curious nat

large scale natural disasters

taylorgirl89

As a Healthcare worker in long term facility, I have seen this time and time again.  We go months without a death then bam, its three within a few weeks.  Most of the time we will be excepting one but other two is a surprise to us all.   Who knows,  only God knows..

• Like 1

taylorgirl89

I have also seen spouses pass away within week or two of eachother.   I figure the one left behind grieves to death. :(

• Like 1

Tia

I'm a believer in pregnancies/ births and deaths come in 3's. They happen to people you know.

I had my ex sister in law, and both sisters of a good friend have babies close together earlier this year.

Within the last 6 weeks a friend of my daughter, a boy of 15 died in a tragic accident. My 2nd dad died 3 weeks ago and on Thursday a cousin of my mums died.

Hudds
On 7/3/2016 at 8:00 PM, p71 said:

May I ask what has the Holy Bible's "Trinity" got anything to do with death comes in 3s? :rolleyes:

DebDandelion
On 09/06/2015 at 6:03 AM, Likely Guy said:

Or maybe not.

Edit: For me to believe you, you need to provide me with verifiable deaths of friends and family members in sets of three, where it stops, starts, stops and starts again. Otherwise, I'm just left to believe anecdotal stories or an urban myth which you happen to believe in?

I agree. and to prove a pattern you will either have to find similarities in the time elapsed between deaths, or age of the people that have passed.

There is a lot of stuff I entertain in my life, and I do consider myself an open minded person, however I also believe in the saying that we have.. 

You can kick a demon out from under any rock... if u look hard enough.

So I dont believe things good or bad happen in three, I do believe what we hold as logical and to be true influences our actions,  perceptions and what comes our way. 

DebDandelion
On 23/11/2015 at 1:10 AM, easyco69 said:

if your a pagan, jew, muslim, athiest,catholic....ya..the spirits will murder you in 3's. It's demonic , the Holy Trinity..mocking Christ Jesus. (PS- non of those I have mentioned believe in Christ Jesus)

No...just no. if you read ur Bible God decides your birth and death hence how can death be a mocking of Christ? 

Be careful of your facts. you get different denominations within a religion and these factions adapt the (original)faith, some Jews actually believe in Jesus. some Catholics do believe in Jesus. 

DebDandelion
On 06/06/2016 at 3:32 AM, Skulduggery said:

It can come in any number. In the last year and a half, over 10 people I knew died.. a few to overdoses and most to medical problems and one suicide. In fact, two of that number were people who lived in the apartment directly below mine.

One guy in that apartment died before I moved into my apartment and I didn't know him but I knew the tenant who lived there right after him. He died last year. They moved another guy in there pretty swiftly and he ended up dying a few months ago. Something about that apartment. So far, they haven't put anyone else in there.

(according to the trend you need two more deaths...since the pattern of three repeated three times...so just wait for that other two..

Then again number patterns come.in two, three, four etc. so maybe yours is in five...so two sets of five...then u don't need two more deaths) 

brlesq1

Death just happens. I think our brains make the association, when none is there.

Kath000
On 3/3/2009 at 6:27 PM, Rosewin said:

I have heard the theory that deaths always come in three. So for instance if someone dies there will be two more people connected to them in some form that will also die. The connections could be as close as familial connections or as distant as being associates within the same industry such as Hollywood. Friends, people in the same neighborhood even though strangers, or anything else that has a common factor.

Has anyone noticed this? Does anyone have examples? Do you believe this is true?

I have had a situation like this.. Before 2 years one of my neighbor died.. On the same day night my aunt died and on the next day morning my grandfather died. It was really heart breaking..

J. Carlos Monteneiro

The reason people see everything in 3s is not due to folktale,written old script or superstition. It all science.We perceive death come in 3s since we live in the third dimension. Humans perceive everything they see in a 3rd dimensional reality ; observers perceive where and when events occur .The 4th is similar since it incorporate time in a 3rd dimensional space.The 5th which is the place of consciousness where we alter reality. To keep it simple are mind grasp what it only can perceive.

Kadams

2 weeks ago i lost my best friend..today i lost my uncle..im not ready for a 3rd death

quiXilver

roughly 153,000 die daily around the world... perhaps the exact number is always divisible by three...

I've never checked.

Rlyeh
On ‎20‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 3:40 PM, J. Carlos Monteneiro said:

The reason people see everything in 3s is not due to folktale,written old script or superstition. It all science.We perceive death come in 3s since we live in the third dimension. Humans perceive everything they see in a 3rd dimensional reality ; observers perceive where and when events occur .The 4th is similar since it incorporate time in a 3rd dimensional space.The 5th which is the place of consciousness where we alter reality. To keep it simple are mind grasp what it only can perceive.

That's nothing to do with science, that's just you clutching at straws with a non-sequitur.

The Narcisse

Something like 150k die every day. With those numbers and no specific time frame for the 3 to happen seems like a self fulfilling prophecy to me.

• Like 1

Hammerclaw

If you only count to three, everything comes in threes.

• Like 1