Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

2 catholic priests ousted by vatican

Mrs V

2 catholic priesst ousted by vatican for being pro-gay, pro-condom, pro-women preaching.

One is from Australia. The other from Brazil. Whatever you think of religion, I think both priests have acted honorably and in the spirit of Jesus' true teachings - which is exactly the example that the Catholic Church, and Christianity in general, needs. They both have massive support (they are both well known human rights activists in their communities) and people are rallying behind them to have them reinstated.

What are your thoughts?

Here are links:

Australian case:

Father Kennedy in defiant mass at St Mary's.

congregation looks to people power to reinstate Father Kennedy

Brazilian case:

Brazilian priest suspended for views

Don't know much about this one, as it is new...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mrs V

• __Kratos__

• xag81

• eight bits

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

2 catholic priesst ousted by vatican for being pro-gay, pro-condom, pro-women preaching.

One is from Australia. The other from Brazil. Whatever you think of religion, I think both priests have acted honorably and in the spirit of Jesus' true teachings - which is exactly the example that the Catholic Church, and Christianity in general, needs. They both have massive support (they are both well known human rights activists in their communities) and people are rallying behind them to have them reinstated.

What are your thoughts?

Here are links:

Australian case:

Father Kennedy in defiant mass at St Mary's.

congregation looks to people power to reinstate Father Kennedy

Brazilian case:

Brazilian priest suspended for views

Don't know much about this one, as it is new...

Problem is, as much as I agree with their actions, they did kinda act outside their authority/church laws, and that's going to have repercussions, right or wrong makes no difference here, they represent the Roman Catholic Church, and said institution doesn't support these views.

Problem is, as much as I agree with their actions, they did kinda act outside their authority/church laws, and that's going to have repercussions, right or wrong makes no difference here, they represent the Roman Catholic Church, and said institution doesn't support these views.

I understand that, but the thing that their congregations are saying,, which i think is true, is that although they are acting outside the Church's said laws, they are still acting in line with the Jesus' teachings. Priest paedophiles and holocaust denying priests are also acting outside the church laws - why dont they get penalised?????

It just bothers me that people like this are being ousted, while crappy priests are protected - and all this at a time when the church is once again selling indulgences... :no:

Edited by Mrs V

Oh the horrors... Someone preaching tolerance and safety...

While the official line is putting millions at risk, millions more already infected and dying, putting human rights in the back seat while creating a hostile environment of ignorance that results in violence. But hey, nothing better then a dying African, bruised woman or loving couple not having the basic rights afforded to each other, right? Good times. :rolleyes:

I think both priests have acted honorably and in the spirit of Jesus' true teachings

How do you figure that?

Oh the horrors... Someone preaching tolerance and safety...

While the official line is putting millions at risk, millions more already infected and dying, putting human rights in the back seat while creating a hostile environment of ignorance that results in violence. But hey, nothing better then a dying African, bruised woman or loving couple not having the basic rights afforded to each other, right? Good times. :rolleyes:

How do you figure that?

Im not a christian, but I was raised one. I do think there are a couple of parts of the gospels where he highlights the importance and ability of women being spiritual leaders. Also his general teachings of brotherhood and compassion i think are in line with the priests actions and acceptance of gay couples and contraception - i think it would be wrong to say that those priests aren't following those examples, but the paedophiliac and holocaust denying priests are.

I understand that, but the thing that their congregations are saying,, which i think is true, is that although they are acting outside the Church's said laws, they are still acting in line with the Jesus' teachings. Priest paedophiles and holocaust denying priests are also acting outside the church laws - why dont they get penalised?????

It just bothers me that people like this are being ousted, while crappy priests are protected - and all this at a time when the church is once again selling indulgences... :no:

I know, frankly it bothers me too, we could all use a little more acceptance on the part of the Catholic Church, the problem is, for the Catholic Hierarchy isn't particularly their teachings (even though it plays a part), it's the fact that they did it publicly...remember, they can deny it happened, ignore it, if its not so public, and sadly image seems to be the only thing they're concerned about...

As to those terrible priests, it's all about image too, if they can deny it, or hide it, no punishment necessary, the "mother church" remains blameless...

Im not a christian, but I was raised one. I do think there are a couple of parts of the gospels where he highlights the importance and ability of women being spiritual leaders. Also his general teachings of brotherhood and compassion i think are in line with the priests actions and acceptance of gay couples and contraception - i think it would be wrong to say that those priests aren't following those examples, but the paedophiliac and holocaust denying priests are.

Jesus still served god, the same god that said homosexuals were an abomination and women were to serve their husbands.

NT on homosexuals and sins...

God's Wrath Against Mankind

18The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, 19since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.

21For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools 23and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles.

24Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. 25They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.

26Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. 27In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion.

28Furthermore, since they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, he gave them over to a depraved mind, to do what ought not to be done. 29They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, 30slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; 31they are senseless, faithless, heartless, ruthless. 32Although they know God's righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.

-Romans 1

Source

No tolerance of homosexuals and the sins or 'wickedness' can include anything that goes against god, including going against gender roles god created.

Where'd you get compassion and brotherhood?

47"That servant who knows his master's will and does not get ready or does not do what his master wants will be beaten with many blows. 48But the one who does not know and does things deserving punishment will be beaten with few blows. From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.

-Luke 12

Source

Slavery and brutality just in that one example by Jesus. Not very nice.

These priests are trying to be good human beings, to do that though they're going against their faith if they know it or not.

Edited by __Kratos__

It's not the Sixteenth Century anymore. If the genetlemen like Christianity, but don't like the Roman Catholic variety, then there are plenty of other flavors to choose from, or they can found their own.

In Luther's day, you had to worry about being made a crispy critter. Today, there are tax advantages. Today is better.

Edited by eight bits

Pro-condom - thats sounds funny.

Doesn't this clearly show how 'stuck in the middle ages' this organisation realy is?

I only read the OP. The Catholic church has rules and those who do not want to follow should not really be there. Instead of trying to change that church why not just go start a new one? It has worked for thousands of years. For those who simply want to change the words of our Bible, or change our churches, I see that as spiteful and cruel, and quite unproductive. Sure many church systems have already given in but many more will not or ever will. It is not so bad because just remember a hand where all the fingers go the same way would be useless we also need an opposable thumb. One day the churches who remain viewing homosexual acts as a sin might be the thumb but trust me it is better to have diversity than a world that is forced or shamed to think the same even when secretly inside our hearts feel otherwise. All we are doing is switching sides but the hate remains for the minority which goes against the goals of many of our hearts. If it is about pure revenge and stomping us out by brute force remember in the end it is the one who assaults others who becomes more messed up inside.

Peoples minds do change on all these issues and if they change so much the Catholic church will find itself having less and less people. Better to be yourself and not worry about others and through examples others will think like you if your thoughts are superior and this will bring about change. Attacking the church just brings more divisiveness and that is not good.

Edited by Rosewin

being pro gay/women/sexual protection makes you not catholic, and an 'enemy' (I use the word as the church do) of the catholic church.