Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Mysterious Egyptian Tri-Lobed Disc

louie

There are a few problems with this theory. The object is asymetrical and highly fragile. Being

asymetrical would throw off the equal division slightly but being fragile would make it inappropriate

for anything but the lightest measurements. If it were designed to "weigh" gold or very precious

commodities then a balance scale would be more accurate. One might imagine a handy dandy

little kitchen device that would weigh ingredients for two things at once against a standard weight

but the exceedingly high cost of making this object weighs heavily against it.

Indeed, it always comes down to this high cost. Whatever it was used for from ceremonial bowl

to pump impellor it must have been very very important and very very valuable. This also implies

that it would not have been used for something that could have been much better served by an

inexpensive or less complicated form.

There are no reported gradations or markings on the inside as might be used as balance indicators.

The grooves around the top might be suitable for this but being on the inside would make it difficult

to read. Large objects like bags of grain would hang down and touch one another making "readings"

difficult. I like the idea but can hardly imagine a practical application and none that would warrant

the expense. There should normally be little need to divide things in three anyway and even less

need for anyonew who could afford this.

This isn't to say though that perhaps a metasiltstone worker who liked to sell small precious stones

on the side might not have made it as a craft object to weigh those stones. But the presence of the

object in a royal cemetery suggests it was also of more than minor importance and not merely some

obscure individual's handiwork. It's very difficult to make the concept work.

Hi Ck,

My reference to dividing grain into three equal measures was purely as an example. It needn't be something that would be particularly heavy to measure. Obviously I don't know what might have been required to be divided into three equal parts/measures. The point, however, is that this device may well have allowed such division of three to be done quickly and easily.

As another example--suppose there existed in AE some ritual in a temple that required filling six containers with the same amount of 'sacred oil'. Each of the six containers are slightly different sizes and thus can hold slightly different amounts of the 'sacred oil'. How do you ensure that each of the six slightly different sized containers receives the same amount of the 'sacred oil'? If it were eight containers it is relatively simple to divide--you simply half the original quantity using a simple balance scale, then half and half again until you have eight equal measures. This is not so easy when you require, 3, 5, (6), 7, (9) etc equal measures of the 'sacred oil' (remember, there were 9 Gods of the AE Ennead). A device like this might easily solve that problem.

As I said though--just thinking outside the sarcophagus.

Best,

SC

Edited by Scott Creighton

My reference to dividing grain into three equal measures was purely as an example. It needn't be something that would be particularly heavy to measure. Obviously I don't know what might have been required to be divided into three equal parts/measures. The point, however, is that this device may well have allowed such division of three to be done quickly and easily.

As another example--suppose there existed in AE some ritual in a temple that required filling six containers with the same amount of 'sacred oil'. Each of the six containers are slightly different sizes and thus can hold slightly different amounts of the 'sacred oil'. How do you ensure that each of the six slightly different sized containers receives the same amount of the 'sacred oil'? If it were eight containers it is relatively simple to divide--you simply half the original quantity using a simple balance scale, then half and half again until you have eight equal measures. This is not so easy when you require, 3, 5, (6), 7, (9) etc equal measures of the 'sacred oil' (remember, there were 9 Gods of the AE Ennead). A device like this might easily solve that problem.

As I said though--just thinking outside the sarcophagus.

We're both huge fans of thinking outside the (stone) box and you've done a great job here.

But, the more I think of this idea the less I like it. Looping the handles of a sack over these

"lobes" could result in a wide range of the circumferance upon which the weight might act.

If the rope were near a lobe it would not get a good division in three. There should be a groove

or post where the rope belongs. Perhaps it could still be used similarly to the way you envision

it if there were standard weights that fit right over each of the lobes and the oil were stored

on the inside but there are no spouts and this gets cumbersome and more complicated rather

than easier. Perhaps the rings on the center tube could be gradations for measurement but

then we're getting back toward the object being a bowl and the highest ring is above its capacity.

I don't really like this idea either but how about a sort of "pre-winnower"? If this were placed

"right side up" over a large jug or distribution system for jugs and grain were dropped from two

or three feet on a windy day then the husks would be blown clear and the grain would pile up

and funnel into the center tube. Errant husks might have a much higher probility of hitting a lobe

and being rejected if it were oriented just right. The main thing wrong is not much separation

can be achieved with the low fall of the grain caused by the nearness of the lobes to the stream

and this still won't explain the rings on the center tube. There should be wear on this if it were

used extensively for this purpose. Worse, with no center tube at all the device might be more

functional for such purpose.

Weighing and measuring aren't out but I think we need to abandon "toy", "anything that requires

work", and to put "ornamentation" on the back burner. Of course if it's merely a model for some-

thing to be made of metal then nothing is excluded yet.

• Confused 1

• 3 months later...

I believe "Sekhmet" was the "natural phenomenon of power derived from water at altitude". Here "seven arrows" were the vector equations that determined loads in the "boats of balance". The oar shaped devices that diverted water from the crown at the "upper eye of horus" were called "Sekhmet's scepters" or "shm-sceptres". Sekhmet appears to have usurped Hathor's role as "(feminine) phenomenon of power of water" when the mehet weret cow was invented to catch the water at higher altitudes.

As such Sekhmet is very closely associated with the fire-pan. Among her myriad names are;

Flaming One

Self-Contained

Awakener (remember those with ready hands stand to make an offering to the dead king)

Opener of Ways

Lady Of Transformations

Inspirer of Men

Ruler Of The Desert

Ruler Of Lions (remember shu anf tefnuts are the lions of upward and downward)

Empowerer

Sparkling One (remember the floating willow tree oil)

Lady Of The Magic Lamp

Lady Of The Waters Of Life

Ruler Of The Chamber Of Flames

Sekhmet, Who Rouseth The People

Shining Of Countenance

The One Who Holds Back Darkness

The Beautiful Light

Lady Of All Powers

...(from Litany)

1. O Sekhmet, Eye of Ra, Great of Flame,

2. O Sekhmet, You who illumine the Double Land with your flame and give the faculty of sight to all!

6. O Sekhmet, the one who makes every eye to see,

7. O Sekhmet, when you rise, the Light appears; when you go back, darkness comes!

9. O Sekhmet, Ardent Flame, who lights a fire, when she took the torch!

Who causes her flame to rise.

13. O Sekhmet, who enters in the opening of the mountains, she from which the flame fills for him

21. O Sekhmet, the one who opens the mountains,

25. O Sekhmet, the one who shines, on account of whom one jubilates when it is ordered that her flame advances! When you shine, one jubilates because of you; (when) you are kind, the flame is pacified.

26. O Sekhmet, at whose setting the darkness appears, in such a way that if

someone nods his head (lit., makes a nod of the head) to his neighbor, they

will not see one another!

37. O Sekhmet, the one who loves Maat (remember ma'at is the phenomenon of balance)

I find this all very highly telling.

http://kevinmichaelc...mes-of-sekhmet/

I recommend this site and believe everything fits and not only the small segments I've quoted. It fits solely because this tri lobed disc was a floating lantern on the pyramid top during construction.

Since posting this I've learned quite a bit about zep tepi. I don't think it is all

relevant to this thread so will omit it except to say that it was the mythological

first eruption of atum. What makes this relevant is that another consistency

emerges with the names of "sekhmet" who carried away the crown of the king

at the upper eye of horus;

"Lady Of The Place Of The Beginning of Time"

or;

"Lady of the place of zep tepi"

Since this so called tri-lobed disc fits as being the fire-pan as described by the

pyramid builders and it is overseen by the "lady of the magic lamp" then it is

necessarily at the place of zep tepi which ties it all together.

We are looking at the pieces of a puzzle and trying to fit them together in a highly

unnatural way. The tri-lobed disc is the key to making all the pieces fit seamlessly.

• Confused 1

• 2 months later...

I know exactly what this disk was for....it is much more amazing than anyone could ever imagine. It is for a technology grander than any that exists in even this modern world....any egyptologists interested to know it's purpose contact me at jalalideen@gmail.com. I have submited patents for this discovery and i will only share with serious egyptologists.

I know exactly what this disk was for....it is much more amazing than anyone could ever imagine. It is for a technology grander than any that exists in even this modern world....any egyptologists interested to know it's purpose contact me at jalalideen@gmail.com. I have submited patents for this discovery and i will only share with serious egyptologists.

Sounds like Scammy Scammer and the Scammettes Greatest hits album. You looking for money or just emails because your lonely?

Kids, don't feed the scammers.

• 2 years later...

What is in it for me to tell the world what this item is?

I have an keen sense of design and I want to benefit from it.

Offer me something... the best offer will get - the answer.

Pronto.

I offer you my derision.

Harte

• Like 1

I haven't got any offers so I'm disclosing the answer - free of charge.

The Sabu disc/Schist Disc is designed to remove mud from feet. 

There mystery solved!  

It is to ancient egyptians what the welcoming mat is to modern living.

And my derision is yours.

Harte

• Like 1

A pole fits into the hole in the center to stabilized and rotate the disk when you're scraping filth from your feet.

You mean while your feet crush the thin walled soft stone the thing is carved from.

Harte

1 hour ago, bLackbRight said:

I haven't got any offers so I'm disclosing the answer - free of charge.

The Sabu disc/Schist Disc is designed to remove mud from feet. 

There mystery solved!  

It is to ancient egyptians what the welcoming mat is to modern living.

It is made of a very fragile type of stone so any rough usage would not have been a good fit for it purpose. Given where it was found in his tomb I believe it was decorative/ornamental bowl in which grasses and flowers were arranged.

2 hours ago, bLackbRight said:

A pole fits into the hole in the center to stabilized and rotate the disk when you're scraping filth from your feet.

This can't be right.

They all had stinky feet ya' know.  ;)

2 hours ago, bLackbRight said:

News flash.  A scraper of any kind only has to be harder than what it is scraping.

Not if you want it to survive hard service. How many boot scrappers have you seen made of thin bone china? The AE used that material for the simple reason it was easy to carve into fantastic shapes but it was neither robust nor scatter resistance. As the ancient Egyptians wore open scandals I would suspect they would wash their feet instead of scraping.

However if you want to believe a mud scrapper was placed next to a noble in his final resting place - so be it. lol

Edited by Hanslune

1 hour ago, cladking said:

This can't be right.

They all had stinky feet ya' know.  ;)

And here I thought you were the one who resurrected this ancient thread. You're actually innocent this time.

7 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

However if you want to believe a mud scrapper was placed next to a noble in his final resting place - so be it. lol

Why not? King Tut was buried with his underwear. If it might be useful in the afterlife, cram it in there.

You have to admit, foot scraper is original. It's definitively incorrect, of course, but gold star for creativity.

14 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

And here I thought you were the one who resurrected this ancient thread. You're actually innocent this time.

Why not? King Tut was buried with his underwear. If it might be useful in the afterlife, cram it in there.

You have to admit, foot scraper is original. It's definitively incorrect, of course, but gold star for creativity.

Yes I had not thought of that. It is creative but perhaps not cultural correct. I remember when I was a student someone had done a cultural study of Villages new Bombay (modern Mumbai) and insanely noted that Parsi villages were richer because their waste dumps contained chicken, pork and beef bones while Muslim villages had only beef and chicken and Hindu none at all. Somebody actually wrote that down and published it!

*Just in case someone didn't get it Parsee's had no religious objection to eating those three animals, Muslim's were okay with two but certainly not pork and the Hindu's were vegetarians.

• Like 1

What do have against a barefoot society that sculpted nearly everything sculpting a door mat?

Celebrate with me.

4 minutes ago, bLackbRight said:

What do have against a barefoot society that sculpted nearly everything sculpting a door mat?

Celebrate with me.

There's a running joke in our forum about "stinky-footed bumpkins," so it's not something we'd expect you to understand. Inside joke, you see. Spend some time at UM—and welcome, by the way—and you'll see for yourself how serious many of us are about researching ancient history. But a sense of humor is always a good thing.

Now, we've been making light of your "foot-scraping" idea, so please allow me to redirect the emphasis on what's important. You believe the ancient Egyptians used the dish almost 5,000 years ago to scrape mud off their feet. Okay. How do you support your idea with evidence? ;)

Cladking has posted in this old discussion probably more than most of us combined, and he's made his stated beliefs quite clear. No need to rehash them now.

But I know what's really going on. He's too afraid to admit it, but cladking actually believes this stone dish was used for making popcorn. :lol:

(Or is that me?)

Round things can rotate, blades above a container can separate and catch things, standing on one foot can be awkward without stability, etc, etc.