Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

XY Chromosomes and XX What about YY?

Jugalotus

So, I was in class and had a thought. If women are basically made up of XX chromosomes, and men are made of XY-paired chromosomes. That technically makes men, to be partially women correct? So, I ask you UM people out their to help me with this. Could a Human(or a thing I suppose) live with a YY chromosome match-up? If so what are the possabilities? I realize Salmon can eventually change. If this can happen to fish, why not humans? Anyone study genetics enough to fully understand this subject? Cause I think this would be a really interesting subject.

So, I was in class and had a thought. If women are basically made up of XX chromosomes, and men are made of XY-paired chromosomes. That technically makes men, to be partially women correct? So, I ask you UM people out their to help me with this. Could a Human(or a thing I suppose) live with a YY chromosome match-up? If so what are the possabilities? I realize Salmon can eventually change. If this can happen to fish, why not humans? Anyone study genetics enough to fully understand this subject? Cause I think this would be a really interesting subject.

YY is not possible in humans. There are genes on the X chromosome required to live, so any fetus receiving YY would be aborted by the mother's body. It is a lethal inheritance.

Other animals don't necessarily work the same way as human sex chromosomes. Some animals have no true sex chromosomes and sex is determined by ploidy. Other animals have the same sex chromosomes for both sexes in all individuals, but inactivation is determined by temperature or another stimulus.

To be honest, the topic of sexual differentiation is far to large to cover in one post. I would recommend picking up a primer on genetics and have a read of it. If you have specific questions about a certain animal or certain circumstance, I would be happy to help.

• Like 1

Aren't the convicts in Alien 3 supposed to be YY, which accounts for their aggressive nature?

Are you trying to tell me that science fiction has been lying to me?

Aren't the convicts in Alien 3 supposed to be YY, which accounts for their aggressive nature?

I believe you're thinking of XYY trisomy.

We all have mothers, so we all have at least one X.

I don't think this is a religious topic, I am going to move it to a science forum.

Female is the default gender for humans. Without a Y chromosome to start the necessary processes to produce a male, a fetus becomes a female.

The X chromosome contains needed information to make a complete individual. The Y chromosome is really just part of an X chromosome. It lacks some of the information. If there is only one X chromosome, there is still enough information to make a complete individual, but if that non-redundant part is missing (two YYs), the person never develops.

Doug

YY would make you super manly?

YY would make you super manly?

man, but could you imagine a yy person?

No, YY would make you super dead person.

Many features we think of as distinctly "male", don't come from the Y chromosome -They come from the X and other autosomes. They are simply inactivated in females. The presence of promoter regions on the Y chromosome turn these features "on".

loool I love that statement :tu:

I agree completely, in humans at least one X is always present. So the combination are XX, Xy, and the other variants like: XXy,Xyy....

I like to think of myself as a XXX person :P

Many features we think of as distinctly "male", don't come from the Y chromosome -They come from the X and other autosomes. They are simply inactivated in females. The presence of promoter regions on the Y chromosome turn these features "on".

it would be pretty cool though.

add another X biff and you'd be an aussie beer. better known as barbed wire

XXXX

<_< xxx? oompa lumpa, we got a problem, what words hide behind xxx?

:w00t: got it x=g x = i x= t....GIT ^_^

add another X biff and you'd be an aussie beer. better known as barbed wire

XXXX

Awesome, then I guess I'm both a XXX and a XXXX person :tu:

Y Y is impossible in humans. A number of absolutely VITAL genes are on the X chromosome and you need at least one copy of these genes to make it past a few cell divisions. The Y chromosome on the other hand mostly just contains genes required for maleness and possibly, I would need to look this up, duplicates of TINY pieces of the X chromosome.

XYY is quite possible, and does indeed happen. Most of the time there is nothing remarkable about these people at all because there is so little genetic material on the Y, and most of what is there just acts as a switch on the rest of the genome telling it to make a male rather than a female.

• 7 years later...

I think the bible explains it best. God created man, male and female he created "them". Which them could refer to a number of XY chromosome organisms. Then the bible says a rib from man was taken and woman was created. A rib could be referring to a single arm on the X of the XY chromosome somehow detaching and ending up on with another XY chromosome thus creating an XX and a remaining YY organisms. Since YY's life is not sustainable it does not survive. Now if there was only one "man" one single organism with a XY chromosome in existence in the very beginning then there would be no XY for newly made XX chromosome to couple with. So there must have been other XY chromosome organisms to now mate with this new XX organism. Which takes us to another part of the bible where it says sons of god (XY organisms made directly by god) liked daughters of men (men=XY) where  XX are called daughters of men because a) XX was made directly from an XY) and reaffirming the fact that XX was the female, the receiver, as the gender has maintained that most innate role tonthis day. Only one problem with my theory is that the chromosomal part couldnt have come from "Adam" because that would render Adam a YY. So if we believe that the bible is telling us the creation of humans and genetic evolution in its own way, then where did Eve's extra piece of chromosomal material (rib) come from if not from Adam? The only explanation is that somehow Adam being a YY regenerated back to XY. Sorry for the long post its a funny story to help remenber that YY can't survive.

There are quite a few possible sexual chromosome combination:

XX, the average female
XY, the average male

X, the Turner syndrome, female, usually infertile with other health problems

XXY, XXYY, XXXYY, XXXXY, Klinefelter syndrome, male usually infertile with other healthy problems

XXX, XXXX, XXXXX, the triple X syndrome, female, will likely develop some health problems, but usually pass under the radar

XYY, XYYY, XYYYY, the XYY syndrome, male, will likely develop some health problems, but usually pass under the radar