Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

YouTube blocks UK users from watching music

Still Waters

LONDON - Google Inc. said Monday it will block U.K. users from watching music videos on its popular video-sharing site YouTube after negotiations with Britain's music royalty-collecting body broke down.

Google said it would begin blocking British users starting Monday night. The Internet titan said it knew the move would cause "significant disappointment."

But it said its hand was forced by PRS for Music, which it said is asking for royalties that would cause Google to lose money every time a video was played on YouTube.

"Our previous license from PRS for Music has expired, and we've been unable so far to come to an agreement to renew it on terms that are economically sustainable for us," Google said in a statement. Until a solution is found, it added, "we will be blocking premium music videos in the UK that have been supplied or claimed by record labels."

PRS for Music, which collects money on behalf of writers and publishers worldwide, said it was outraged by Google's move.

More Here

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Silver Thong

• Stormcrow

• Admiral Danger

• Still Waters

Top Posters In This Topic

Ouch thats a bummer big time. Thats primarly what I use youtube for :angry2: Has anyone else noticed that alot of youtube videos have disapeared or are no longer available. I mean good documentries and some t.v. shows of old are all gone or they just offer 2 min clips. Youtube is going down the drain....

Nopers...never noticed that in Youtube, but it's been a while since I've been to that site.

Gotta check it out, see if my fav videos are still there.

The reason why some msuic videos cant be viewd from certain countires is if that particular music video was made with a clause of not being viewable in this country because otherwise it would viiolate this contract.

Another reason to detest PRS :angry2:

I'm still hoping for a visit from them in my shop one day, so I can be playing a friend's album and when they insist I need a licence (because customers might hear it) I'll agree to do so only so long as they can show in their accounts that my friend recieves the money they claim to be collecting on his behalf. And I'll expect himk to get 100% whatever they say, because surely otherwise he;d be better off me giving him the money direct? They are legalised conmen :angry:

Ouch thats a bummer big time. Thats primarly what I use youtube for :angry2: Has anyone else noticed that alot of youtube videos have disapeared or are no longer available. I mean good documentries and some t.v. shows of old are all gone or they just offer 2 min clips. Youtube is going down the drain....

Yes, unfortunately I've noticed that a lot of my favorite music videos are gone, and nowhere to be found. That also goes for videos that just had songs on them that you could listen to. I was so p***ed when I discovered that. For music, YouTube is becoming as lame as Napster.

Has anyone else noticed that alot of youtube videos have disapeared or are no longer available. I mean good documentries and some t.v. shows of old are all gone or they just offer 2 min clips. Youtube is going down the drain....

Yes. Like, everything I like to watch/used to watch on Youtube is gone. :/ I tried to finish up The Last Unicorn and it had been removed (The Last Unicorn, people!). A lot of Sweeney Todd and Rocky Horror has been removed too. I also used to watch Black Books, and they've been getting removed as well. Oh well, Surf The Channel is so much better, forget Youtube. :tu:

Yes. Like, everything I like to watch/used to watch on Youtube is gone. :/ I tried to finish up The Last Unicorn and it had been removed (The Last Unicorn, people!). A lot of Sweeney Todd and Rocky Horror has been removed too. I also used to watch Black Books, and they've been getting removed as well. Oh well, Surf The Channel is so much better, forget Youtube. :tu:

Really, stick to real t.v. lol Youtube was one of my fav's but wow it's tanking and fast. Plus there are just way to many idiots putting videos up just to say hey look I have a video on youtube just for the sake of having a video on youtube, even if it's a video of someone cleaning there closet. I love documentries and wow it's slim pickins now to find anything worth watching, damn even alot of the nature shows I like are gone <_<

i went onto youtube yesterday and most of the music videos still worked :D the only ones that have been banned so far are the ones from the record companies youtube page so far... as far as i was aware of.

Really, stick to real t.v. lol Youtube was one of my fav's but wow it's tanking and fast. Plus there are just way to many idiots putting videos up just to say hey look I have a video on youtube just for the sake of having a video on youtube, even if it's a video of someone cleaning there closet. I love documentries and wow it's slim pickins now to find anything worth watching, damn even alot of the nature shows I like are gone <_<

Surf the Channel posts all kinds of things. xD Documentaries included. :D

this is plain stupid...hahahaha....If I was the owner of music industry I would not block youtube rather i would make a monthly payment system on accessing youtube...

The UK ISP should think about this....This will be a great way to pay of the loss profit music and movie industry facing today...

Surf the Channel posts all kinds of things. xD Documentaries included. :D

Hey thanks for the tip :tu: