Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The true purpose of existence

Ashyne

What is the true purpose of existence. I'm not referring to individual or species existence, or even planetary existence for that matter. We all know that we live to reproduce to ensure the survival of the species. And species need to survive to contribute to the overall health of the planet's biosphere.

But here's where things get more difficult to explain.

SO WHAT? is the biggest question of all.

SO WHAT if the planet has a biosphere? So what if humanity has conquered space, colonised other planets, dominated the entire galaxy and beyond. So what if humans become gods one day and create another Universe. What does it all matter? How does it fit into the scheme of things? What is the scheme of things in the first place?

So what if countless Universes exist. What is the purpose of their existence? So what if consciousness didn't exist to appreciate the beauty of life and Nature. Does it matter at all?

Note that I did not post this thread in religion sub-forum because what I want are opinions unbiased by religion or pagan beliefs. Let's have some proper opinions for once. Don't tell me 'because the Creator/God says so' because then you still have a bigger question to think about: What is the purpose of God's existence? (but I'm a non-believer, so let's not talk about religious beliefs here).

Scientific and philosophical arguments and opinions are welcome.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ashyne

• Harte

• Emma_Acid

• Eaglelox

1 - wrong area of the forum.

2 - there is no scheme, plan or purpose, and no, it doesn't matter if a universe never consciously viewed, as consciousness only lasts for so long.

There will of course be those who will get upset by the above remarks, but that is down to their own individual desires not to be alone and to feel their life has a purpose - but all the evidence points to the fact that we are and it doesn't.

What is the true purpose of existence. I'm not referring to individual or species existence, or even planetary existence for that matter. We all know that we live to reproduce to ensure the survival of the species. And species need to survive to contribute to the overall health of the planet's biosphere.

The bolded portion is complete and utter rubbish.

Existence requires no purpose.

Additionally, please indicate your evidence that existence is actuality. IOW, what makes you so sure that existence is?

Harte

• 2 weeks later...
The bolded portion is complete and utter rubbish.

Existence requires no purpose.

I think that we are imbued with a desire to survive (the will to live) unless we've been damaged or abused to the point where we'd rather die. If we want to survive in this world after our deaths we have to become part of something greater than ourselves. We live through our children, the memories our friends have of us, the contributions we make to the community, etc. So if you define our "existence" as our perception of the fact that we exist then it seems like an instinctual purpose of our individual existences is to merge with something bigger than ourselves so that we can continue to exist.

Additionally, please indicate your evidence that existence is actuality. IOW, what makes you so sure that existence is?

I've always found this type of thinking to be sort of dead-end and pointless. If we don't exist our opinion of our existence doesn't exist either so there's nothing to worry about. The fact that we wonder about our existence means that we exist. If we don't exist we can't possibly be wrong about believing in our existence because there's no mental entity there to be in error.

Edited by Siara

What is the true purpose of existence.

I don't think there is one. We exist because we perceive ourselves to exist. Anything more is a matter of speculation and opinion.

I think that we are imbued with a desire to survive (the will to live) unless we've been damaged or abused to the point where we'd rather die. If we want to survive in this world after our deaths we have to become part of something greater than ourselves. We live through our children, the memories our friends have of us, the contributions we make to the community, etc. So if you define our "existence" as our perception of the fact that we exist then it seems like an instinctual purpose of our individual existences is to merge with something bigger than ourselves so that we can continue to exist.

Perfectly valid, but unless I missed something (not an unusual occurrence) that isn't how I understood the question. An individual might do all that you describe to preserve the memory of his/her existence, and whatever it was the individual accomplished might have been the "purpose" of his/her existence, but it doesn't answer the question regarding the "purpose" of existence in the first place. Again, I don't think there is one. The "purpose" of one's existence is what one makes of it.

IOW, what makes you so sure that existence is?

I've often wondered if I'm not just a figment of somebody else's sick imagination but unless proven otherwise, I've no choice but to believe that I exist. My employer sure believes I exist. So does my mortgage company. :P

What we know is that everything began with the initial choice of infinity choosing to exist, which resulted in complete chaos. Truly complete chaos. Slowly patterns emerged in the chaos, the patterns began to build on themselves, forming orbits built upon orbits. Somehow out of this complete chaos comes galaxies, stars, planets... Everything mixed together in just the right way, allowing that beautiful thin margin to come together that allowed life to form, for the patterns to began choosing their own paths. Time is an illusion. The past exists in the same state as the future. The present is only temporary. All of existence eventually leads back to perfect union with itself. We are the One, splitting into the Infinite, on an eternal journey to discover itself.

Being real means that even "so what," has a character unique to its postulate.” I think therefore I am," does not in and of itself define an origin or purpose. If, there are no paradoxes it is because somehow and from some point of view, how reality expresses itself has been observed and somehow, all questions have been answered by something. Religion offers an opinion and depending on who you talk to, usually some reference to "faith," as to what binds there conclusions.

Accurate information about a phenomenon is what makes something matter (in relation to reality and hopefully to any observer). However , if what you are looking for is accurate information as to why you think and therefore why you are? The first issue to contend with, is the ability to understand, extrapolate and interpret information not, if a particular ideology is consistent enough to warrant respect.

If it is purpose you are looking for then perhaps, you need more information. It is also possible that some of that information, despite the fact it is available cannot be described in words.....hence one is left with an alternative as to what is the answer.

This being that meanings about existence may have a personal nature, to deep to fathom in ways that translate into information one can express in words.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Triad

But here's where things get more difficult to explain.

SO WHAT? is the biggest question of all.

SO WHAT if the planet has a biosphere? So what if humanity has conquered space, colonised other planets, dominated the entire galaxy and beyond. So what if humans become gods one day and create another Universe. What does it all matter? How does it fit into the scheme of things? What is the scheme of things in the first place?

So what if countless Universes exist. What is the purpose of their existence? So what if consciousness didn't exist to appreciate the beauty of life and Nature. Does it matter at all?

Note that I did not post this thread in religion sub-forum because what I want are opinions unbiased by religion or pagan beliefs. Let's have some proper opinions for once. Don't tell me 'because the Creator/God says so' because then you still have a bigger question to think about: What is the purpose of God's existence? (but I'm a non-believer, so let's not talk about religious beliefs here).

Scientific and philosophical arguments and opinions are welcome.

To learn to love unconditionally. And to attain a higher level of spirituality.

To advance beyond being human, or mortal, one has to realize that love is only a word. They approached this subject tentatively in The Matrix, when that program was saving it's daugther so she would find her purpose. Going beyond words and beyond the concept of human thought is beyond human thought. Asking these questions are pointless because your very human mind cannot go beyond its own construct. You'd have to die to be released from your human mind to be able to contemplate these things that go beyond your human mind. Happening soon? Nope. :tu:

You got it honey!!! The rest will fall into place... ;)

To advance beyond being human, or mortal, one has to realize that love is only a word. They approached this subject tentatively in The Matrix, when that program was saving it's daugther so she would find her purpose. Going beyond words and beyond the concept of human thought is beyond human thought. Asking these questions are pointless because your very human mind cannot go beyond its own construct. You'd have to die to be released from your human mind to be able to contemplate these things that go beyond your human mind. Happening soon? Nope. :tu:

But he's on the right track! Cant fault for that... he's trying... :)

I can only speak from my experience when answering this question.

What your personal purpose is, I don't know. That is up to you to decide. When it comes to the scheme of things though, I believe that our overall purpose is to strive to learn all the various perspectives of life so that we can gain wisdom through experience.

There are two major factors that influence who you are in this existence. The first, is your body consciousness. Your body consciousness is mainly focussed on surviving. Fight or flight, eat and sleep, born and die. The purpose of your body's existence is to keep your body alive.

The second factor is your soul consciousness. Your soul consciousness is you higher self. The energy that makes your body live. Your ideas and thoughts are the voice of your soul consciousness. Each person's soul has a personal goal that it is trying to reach in this life. To learn to overcome and learn from certain experiences here on Earth.

The emotional spectrum ranges from Fear to Love. Fear creates the complete lack of responsibility one has over themselves. Love is the complete acceptance and acknowledgment one gives to themselves and others. Love is universal, and your soul consciousness is nothing but love. It is only the merger of our human body/soul consciousness that allows us the full spectrum so that we may learn wisdom through experience.

Your thoughts have more power over your life then you give them credit for. Your thoughts make up your perception of things and have been proven to actually manipulate physical matter. You have the ability to change the world, literally.....with your thoughts. Your life right now is a mirror that directly correlates to your thoughts. Negative thoughts, negative life. Positive thoughts, positive life. That simple. You must take responsibility for your life, because it is a direct manifestation of your thoughts.

It is a shared goal of us all to gain complete control over our body consciousness with our soul consciousness, because sometimes our body's habits assume control over us. It is up to you to determine if you are acting in accordance to your body's consciousness or you soul's consciousness. We must all take responsibility for ourselves and realize that we are the Gods of our own existence. Look inward and approach life with love, and you will learn your personal purpose.

Love you All!

B