Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Stegosaurus image found on Cambodian temple

UM-Bot

Image credit: Tiere der Urwelt
An All News Web reader has contributed a photograph of the Ta Prohm Temple in Cambodia with what appears to be images of a Stegosaurus on it. The picture has sparked intrigue and controversy, is this really evidence that dinosaurs were alive in modern times, could the image have been misinterpreted or it simply a hoax ?

"Conventional science has it that the dinosaurs were wiped out many millions of years ago either as the result of climate change or a meteorite hitting earth. Some researchers, however, claim that dinosaurs might have continued to roam remote parts of the earth as recently as a few hundred years ago. A few even claim that there might be some small populations of dinosaurs, otherwise believed to be extinct, surviving in the world’s most isolated forests."

arrow3.gifView: Full Article (with photograph) | linked-imageSource: All News Web

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• danielost

• Clobhair-cean

• aquatus1

• Lt_Ripley

Has already been discussed in the living dinosaurs? thread in the cryptozoology forum. Clobhair-cean concluded in post 174 that it was the image of a rhinoceros. Others and I accepted that conclusion.

Edited by Ell

Has already been discussed in the living dinosaurs? thread in the cryptozoology forum. Clobhair-cean concluded in post 174 that it was the image of a rhinoceros. Others and I accepted that conclusion.

I am not disagreeing with your theory of a rinho, But seems odd they would depict a figure with the rises on it its back just like a stagasaurus, I supose its possible they simply added the rises on its back as simple art,

I think you have a good point here,

Ackk; spelling, No coffee yet, :hmm:

Edited by thefinalfrontier

Cambodia = Dinotopia. Duh.

Wow!! Maybe a few dinosaurs really have survived extinction!!!!!!!

It is not really that easy to say that it's just a hoax, unless they find a way to know how really old the temple really is... Because according to them it is about 800 to 1400 AD old, and that is pretty far from 155 Million years!!!!!

And that is definitely NOT a RHINO!!!

Yeah...looks like a rhinoceros. Just totally different.

Maybe it is just a really really old temple made by the ape men who hunted stego's.

Has it occured to them that even if some Stegosaurus's has survived their extinction, in the millions of years since then they would have evolved into something completely different.

sorry to disappoint you all but thats an engraving of my great-great-great-great-great-great-grandpa. he was a great warrior who died a hero in battle.

I can't see that being a Rhino, but I also doubt it's a Stegosaurus. How about a Cambodian crocodile? It would explain the back spines.

An All News Web reader has contributed a photograph of the Ta Prohm Temple in Cambodia with what appears to be images of a Stegosaurus on it. The picture has sparked intrigue and controversy, is this really evidence that dinosaurs were alive in modern times, could the image have been misinterpreted or it simply a hoax ?

"Conventional science has it that the dinosaurs were wiped out many millions of years ago either as the result of climate change or a meteorite hitting earth. Some researchers, however, claim that dinosaurs might have continued to roam remote parts of the earth as recently as a few hundred years ago. A few even claim that there might be some small populations of dinosaurs, otherwise believed to be extinct, surviving in the world’s most isolated forests."

arrow3.gifView: Full Article (with photograph) | linked-imageSource: All News Web

Isn't it possible that cambodians found dinosaur remains....Like modern day palentologist do....and thats how they knew what it looked like & if so isn't it possible that the picture on the temple due to the fact that these people didn't understand what this giant creature was....perhaps they though it was some religious being which would explain why it was found painted on a temple....or perhaps they did know & what is now a temple was then some sort of museum...

Hmmm.. Rhino, possiblly with some type of decorative art behind it. If they had never seen a stegasaurus, they wouldnt have made the connection that the two would be confused..

However, its funny that what could be perceived as the stegosaurus' armour plates only extend from its neck to its tail, and not right around the creature if it were representing rays of sunshine, or the like.

Intriguing to say the least. If it is indeed real, and depicts a real stegasaurus living at the time, the article suggest the people who created it lived up until the 1400's. If it were to become extinct since that time, it certainly gives the area and its ecosystem enought time to repair itself, and erase any clear visible evidence of one or more ever being there.

Personally, im tossing up between the authenticity of the carving, and the interpretation of it. But there's alot of debate to be had either way i believe. Nice find though.

Yippee, I was a source of reference! :D

Some more of my opinions on the subject:

It is surely not a Stegosaur, because it doesn't resemble a stegosaur.

Here's a modern reconstruction of a Stegosaurus:

linked-image

-It has a very small head on a longish neck, whereas the temple-animal has a big head with features similar to the skin flaps of an Asian rhino, in a similar position as a rhino usually holds it.

-It holds its tail horizontally and very high (higher then its head), the temple-animal's is hanging low, just like a rhino's (Or a 19th century Stegosaur reconstruction but unless we think it's a practical joke played by some guy 150 years ago this is not relevant)

-It has four huge tail-spikes, the temple one has none. The thagomizer is a pretty important feature that no-one would miss.

-It's hind legs are much longer and its thigh was higher then its front legs. The temple animal's legs are equal.

Furthermore, no stegosaur fossil has ever been found in Cambodia, the nearest sites are in Sichuan, China from the Jurassic period which was pretty damn long ago.

And finally, here's an asian rhino:

linked-image

I rest my case.

This isn't exactly new or news, the picture and story have been circulating for a few years now.

I had a nice reply already to go and then by chance I stumbled upon >> This Website << which pretty much debunks this topic and mirrors my own points, which are:

1) It looks nothing like a Stegosaurus, which had a long slender neck and tiny head.

2) The Stegosaurs never made it out of the Jurassic period never mind the dinosaur extinction.

3) No fossils of a Stegosaur have ever been found in Cambodia, (as far as I am aware).

4) The images on the temple are highly decorated, those bumps on/near the animals back also appear in other carvings of different animals.

*snip*

Maybe they found stego fossils.

Edited by Daughter of the Nine Moons
rude comment

Has it occured to them that even if some Stegosaurus's has survived their extinction, in the millions of years since then they would have evolved into something completely different.

Hmmm... sort of like how Crocodiles have evolved into a completely different form? Oh wait... that's not the case.... Well, then frogs have changed completely, right? No? Darn... I guess not every animal on the Earth evolves into completely different forms if they are well adapted to their current form...

More like jumping to conclusions. What does that say for the Nazca Lines? Researchers found that many of the creatures represented are not native to the area. Maybe the Long Spider is really an ant with 8 legs. That's my conclusion. Will you and others accept that conclusion? I doubt it. This culture have seen these animals to depict them.

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

must be nice wearing rose colored glasses.

I think it would be akin to the Greek incorporating a fossilized dinosaur skull . The Khmer civilization may have run into a skeleton and carved it.

The picture below is from a Corinthian krater dating to 560-540 B.C.

linked-image

this was thought to by a cyclops - it's an elephant

linked-image

I think you may have the answer here Lt Ripley.

There is no reason to believe stagosaur survived into modern cambodia

I think it would be akin to the Greek incorporating a fossilized dinosaur skull . The Khmer civilization may have run into a skeleton and carved it.

The picture below is from a Corinthian krater dating to 560-540 B.C.

linked-image

this was thought to by a cyclops - it's an elephant

linked-image

right they had never butchered an elephant before.

Edited by danielost