Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ignorance, apathy, and irresponsibility

coberst

Ignorance, apathy, and irresponsibility

I claim that the citizens of the US (and probably most other Western style democracies) cannot continue with the level of apathy, ignorance, and irresponsibility that has been the condition with past generations. Technology and population conditions demand that the citizens of democracies must become more intellectually sophisticated if we hope for the species to survive beyond the next 200 years.

I think that a cursory examination of the twentieth century and our present conflict with what are labeled as terrorists dictate that we can no longer afford the luxury of the apathetic slumber that is characteristic of today’s citizens.

I also think that we can no longer afford to indulge in the very long incubation period that our species provides to the young. It is not unusual for youth today to remain less than responsible adults well beyond their twentieth year.

The inertia of the present customs and culture make it almost impossible for these changes to take place from the top down. I think that if drastic change is to take place it rests upon the new generations to force that change.

Young people can do this by quickly becoming more self-reliant, courageous, and enlightened citizens. They can do this through the development of a hobby that I call self-actualizing self-learning. They can do this by quickly becoming more intellectually sophisticated. All of this requires a larger dose of curiosity and caring.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• coberst

• emberlake

• Voyager10

I disagree and am offended by your blatant insult to the US citizens and other western style democracies.

Your post loses all credibility with me because of your arrogant insults.

It is possible for today's youth to become self-actualizing self-learners and by increasing their intellectual sophistication over that of previous generations might have a chance to save the species and perhaps the planet from self destruction.

Who knows the odds? The tipping point of self destruction may have already passed.

The challenge is great but is the new generation great enough to try to save this civilization and perhaps the species? Not if they chose to remain ignorant, apathetic, and irresponsible.

The two generations coming before today's youth have done a lousy job. The question now ‘will today's youth emulate the past or will they become wiser at a younger age’? I see little evidence that is encouraging.

Copied from Sunday morning Washington Post

A younger generation, meanwhile, has little understanding or appreciation of the relationship between a free press and a free society. Pew found that just 27 percent of Americans born since 1977 read a newspaper the previous day.

But what to do about it? How does the newspaper industry survive in a climate in which the public doesn't know what it doesn't know? Or what it needs?

A younger generation, meanwhile, has little understanding or appreciation of the relationship between a free press and a free society. Pew found that just 27 percent of Americans born since 1977 read a newspaper the previous day.

I think that's a least partly the fault of the newspaper industry. Newspapers haven't adapted to the internet well. Go to www.nytimes.com, then go to any of the cable news channels' websites. The difference is tremendous.

Edited by Voyager10

I think that's a least partly the fault of the newspaper industry. Newspapers haven't adapted to the internet well. Go to www.nytimes.com, then go to any of the cable news channels' websites. The difference is tremendous.

I think that it would be useful if some young person where to study the nature of journalism and how it is practiced or not practiced in print and in cyber media. The ignorance about such matters is pervasive.