Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghostly Marbles

Ashyne

In my country (Singapore), as 80% of the population lives in HDB (government housing) apartment units, there is a long history of unexplained occurences, one of the most common would be the ghostly marbles phenomenon.

Ask any Singaporean who lives in HDB units, and more than 1 in 5 will tell you of hearing the sound of falling/dropping marbles from the unit above them. Some might attribute this to the residents above playing with marbles, but in some cases, there are no residents living above (empty unit), or there are only elderly people, or in most cases, no children who could be playing with marbles.

So where do these sounds of dropping marbles come from? The sounds recorded across the country are very similar, starting as a loud 'crack crack', followed by softer and less audible 'pok tok pok tok pok tok' sounds.

I remember in my youth when I was living in another HDB unit (3rd floor), and there were no people living directly above us at all, but every night, without fail, I would hear the marbles dropping against the floor. Sometimes there would be the sounds of more than one marble, sometimes they sounded like lots of pebbles falling to the floor.

The sounds were always really loud, in most cases across the country. Strangely, I have asked people from other countries who, too, live in high-rise apartments but none of them ever reported hearing such marble-falling sounds, so this phenomenon seems to be localised in my country only.

One of my friends told me that she hears the marbles falling throughout the day, and she has even lodged a police report against the residents living in the unit above hers, but when police interviewed the neighbours, they kept saying that they did not possess any marbles, let alone played with them.

I know there are plenty of Singaporeans on this forum, so if you're one of them, please share your experiences with us.

I would also like opinions on this, as even the government has failed to come up with a satisfactory answer (the government says this could be caused by water flowing through pipes, but few people believe this is the case).

That's pretty weird. I know that it's a small country; maybe the whole thing is built on holy land or something?

Creepy sounds.. Have anyone tried to track down the source of the sounds?

It might not be just a marble or maybe there is a problem in how the house units were built.

Check if there might be cracks where some pebble-like material that can produce a marble-like sound be falling down or else if there's none, then you have Playful ghost boardmates.. I don't wanna imagine it. :unsure2:

It's probably something mundane, like the building structure, weather conditions, etc. Something that widespread probably isn't paranormal in origin.

Edited by Talonfire

It's probably something mundane, like how the building structure, weather conditions, etc. Something that widespread probably isn't paranormal in origin.

yes its become a famous urban legend here

In my country (Singapore), as 80% of the population lives in HDB (government housing) apartment units, there is a long history of unexplained occurences, one of the most common would be the ghostly marbles phenomenon.

Ask any Singaporean who lives in HDB units, and more than 1 in 5 will tell you of hearing the sound of falling/dropping marbles from the unit above them. Some might attribute this to the residents above playing with marbles, but in some cases, there are no residents living above (empty unit), or there are only elderly people, or in most cases, no children who could be playing with marbles.

So where do these sounds of dropping marbles come from? The sounds recorded across the country are very similar, starting as a loud 'crack crack', followed by softer and less audible 'pok tok pok tok pok tok' sounds.

I remember in my youth when I was living in another HDB unit (3rd floor), and there were no people living directly above us at all, but every night, without fail, I would hear the marbles dropping against the floor. Sometimes there would be the sounds of more than one marble, sometimes they sounded like lots of pebbles falling to the floor.

The sounds were always really loud, in most cases across the country. Strangely, I have asked people from other countries who, too, live in high-rise apartments but none of them ever reported hearing such marble-falling sounds, so this phenomenon seems to be localised in my country only.

One of my friends told me that she hears the marbles falling throughout the day, and she has even lodged a police report against the residents living in the unit above hers, but when police interviewed the neighbours, they kept saying that they did not possess any marbles, let alone played with them.

I know there are plenty of Singaporeans on this forum, so if you're one of them, please share your experiences with us.

I would also like opinions on this, as even the government has failed to come up with a satisfactory answer (the government says this could be caused by water flowing through pipes, but few people believe this is the case).

Hello, fellow Singaporean here. :)

Actually, this urban legend has already been debunked quite sometime ago. There was even a television documentary about it, I believe. I cannot really remember what was the name of the show, since it was already so long ago, but here's a website that actually discusses and explains the phenomenon.

Link

As quoted from the website, there are 3 possible explainations for the sounds.

Three explanations

1) When water flow is shut off suddenly, the change in pressure rattles the pipes, which may sound like marbles dropping after distortion through walls.

2) Some pre-fabricated floors used in HDB flats have an embedded high-strength steel cable which can give off creaking sounds when they contract.

3) It is really children playing with marbles

Like most Singaporeans, I have also experienced hearing the sound of falling/dropping marbles before. However, I have never been frightened by it. :)

On a sidenote, I don't know whether you have heard of this before, but there is a popular urban legend behind the sound. It is said that when the high-rise buildings were being built, the builders left a small gap between each floor and filled the gaps with some marbles. This was so as to keep any ghosts dwelling in the buildings busy. The ghosts would be too busy counting and playing with the marbles to bother any residents in the building.

Edited by The Enchanter

On a sidenote, I don't know whether you have heard of this before, but there is a popular urban legend behind the sound. It is said that when the high-rise buildings were being built, the builders left a small gap between each floor and filled the gaps with some marbles. This was so as to keep any ghosts dwelling in the buildings busy. The ghosts would be too busy counting and playing with the marbles to bother any residents in the building.

lol ya i heard of this one

I just would like to add something in The Enchanter's sidenote.

Not only ghosts but also dwarfs, elves and their other relatives are much addicted to counting and cleaning so if you scatter or put marbles and any other grainy materials on the floor, they will be coming counting them first. and cleaning up the mess. ^_^

Wow, that very interesting, how many units are there. I don't know about out there but, here pipes are near the kitchen and the bathroom only and hot water sometimes sounds horrible before it hits the facet.

I lived in a stone house in Bermuda for five years with my ex's family. The house was over 100 years old, original homestead and had been built on so that it was at that time, a triplex (three units - aunt's, ours and his parents)

I used to hear the marble sound almost nightly - like a marble was dropped, bounced a few times, and then rolled. The aunt and uncles house was partially built over my kitchen. This consisted of stairs, hallway, bedroom and bathroom that were all above us.

I didn't pay the marble sound any mind, really, thinking it was the boy who lived there (teen), until one day I had occasion to go upstairs in their house to look after their dog. It amazed me that EVERYWHERE including the bathroom, had carpeting. The entire top floor was carpeted. I could therefore, not explain the reason for the marble sound. The unit on the other side of us was one floor only. Keep in mind this was a limestone and concrete building as they do in Bermuda.

I had a couple more odd experiences in that house such as smells, dreams and then my daughter demanded to know why there was a little girl in her bedroom. Pretty benign stuff, but the marble thing has perplexed me all these years and I'm glad to read this topic.

I lived in a stone house in Bermuda for five years with my ex's family. The house was over 100 years old, original homestead and had been built on so that it was at that time, a triplex (three units - aunt's, ours and his parents)

I used to hear the marble sound almost nightly - like a marble was dropped, bounced a few times, and then rolled. The aunt and uncles house was partially built over my kitchen. This consisted of stairs, hallway, bedroom and bathroom that were all above us.

I didn't pay the marble sound any mind, really, thinking it was the boy who lived there (teen), until one day I had occasion to go upstairs in their house to look after their dog. It amazed me that EVERYWHERE including the bathroom, had carpeting. The entire top floor was carpeted. I could therefore, not explain the reason for the marble sound. The unit on the other side of us was one floor only. Keep in mind this was a limestone and concrete building as they do in Bermuda.

I had a couple more odd experiences in that house such as smells, dreams and then my daughter demanded to know why there was a little girl in her bedroom. Pretty benign stuff, but the marble thing has perplexed me all these years and I'm glad to read this topic.

YES! thats exactly the sound I hear! does it only hapen to u or other people too???

YES! thats exactly the sound I hear! does it only hapen to u or other people too???

I have heard mostly pennies from people, but have also heard of marble experiences.

Funny topic...Hubby and I were doing outside work today and I found this pretty orange little marble...

Does anyone remember the name of the game that used to be played with them?

Interesting, The obvious place to look would be in the design of these HDB units since it's widespread and specific to a certain type of building. I mean, you would think that would the obvious and logical place to start, but if it can't be unexplained yet, that's rather weird.

Edited by Lady_Anvilabeel

PercyJackson: I hadn't heard the legend that certain supernatural entities could be distracted by having to count things. That's pretty odd. Where does that legend come from and what is the traditional explanation for it?

Does anyone remember the name of the game that used to be played with them?

I think it was called "marbles".

Interesting, The obvious place to look would be in the design of these HDB units since it's widespread and specific to a certain type of building. I mean, you would think that would the obvious and logical place to start, but if it can't be unexplained yet, that's rather weird.

Good thinking. I would like to know what these HDB units were made of. As I mentioned earlier, the homes in Bermuda are all stone/concrete/limestone.

I just would like to add something in The Enchanter's sidenote.

Not only ghosts but also dwarfs, elves and their other relatives are much addicted to counting and cleaning so if you scatter or put marbles and any other grainy materials on the floor, they will be coming counting them first. and cleaning up the mess. ^_^

Looks like they can be pretty good housekeepers eh? Do you think they will accept their salary in marbles if I ask one to work for me? :P:D

Good thinking. I would like to know what these HDB units were made of. As I mentioned earlier, the homes in Bermuda are all stone/concrete/limestone.

The HDB buildings here are made of concrete.

Edited by The Enchanter

Actually. I have heard those sounds and like banging on the floor and/or walls above me. I'm not sure who if anyone lives there. (Im to shy to check)

Its right over my bedroom and I can hear marbles being dropped on a wood floor. Which is weird because the apartments are carpeted usually.

Edited by `Kitty

Actually. I have heard those sounds and like banging on the floor and/or walls above me. I'm not sure who if anyone lives there. (Im to shy to check)

Its right over my bedroom and I can hear marbles being dropped on a wood floor. Which is weird because the apartments are carpeted usually.

where r u from

• 5 months later...

yea i've been hearing the sounds of falling marbles from my living room too. i havent asked if the residents above are playing with marbles but i doubt so. it sounds exactly like how u described it and is very VERY distracting..

It can be confirmed using the designs and engineering plans acquired from the government and also that is there a possibility that these may expand with the weather conditions there...As far As I am aware i think you are experiencing moderate climate as a whole and the monsoon gales struck in the cracks wherever possible...Since this is only common to the HDB units it is very clear that either the material they use or the engineering plans don't go well...Also it will be good if you explain why you think the government explanation is not credible

Thanks

B???

Edited by behaviour???

• 5 years later...

I just wanted to share this little weird experience with everyone. This took place in Jacksonville, North Carolina. A few years ago I married and moved into a rental duplex. My husband is a marine and had deployed to Afghanistan about 6 months after we moved in. While he was away I started to notice a weird noise in the ceiling over my bed. It sounded like someone had dropped a marble and it bounced a couple of times. Then it would roll around. It would stop and then roll again. I could actually hear it moving and follow the sound. The weird thing is that the attic floor was covered in insulation so the floor had padding. I couldn't figure out what it could be. I would be talking on skype with my husband and it would drop, sometimes really hard like it was heavier than a marble so he actually heard it and didn't think I was crazy anymore. One time it was so loud it sounded like a hammer and like it was being dragged. I was beyond freaked and was convinced something was up there but I would look and nothing would be out of place. There wasn't anything up there but some bags of clothes. I thought it might be something in the air vents but it would do it even when the air was off. The maintenance guy came by to fix something so I decided to ask him about it. He even looked up in the attic and he couldn't figure out what it could be making a noise like that. My friends would always freak out when they would come visit and we called it the Ghost Marble and just laugh about it. Sometimes I would hear it coming from under the sink in the bathroom. Sometimes it would be in the living room ceiling and sometimes the spare bedroom wall. My friend sent me a link to a show paranormal witness where they described what sounded like pebbles in their wall and that was the closest thing I had heard to what I had experienced.

Edited by wishfulthinkr
  • Like 1

I agree that it's something related to the buildings themselves.

I just think it's interesting that marbles were the first things to come to folks' minds when they heard the sounds. I wouldn't even say that marbles were that distinctive sound-wise.