Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA may send fleet of spacecraft to Venus

UM-Bot

Image credit: NASA/JPL
Image credit: NASA/JPL
NASA could be sending a small fleet of spacecraft to Venus within the next fifteen years, including two high-altitude balloons designed to hover in sulphuric acid clouds. The mission, costing up to four billion dollars, would aim to reveal more about the runaway greenhouse effect and the possibility of volcanic activity on the planet.

"Two high-altitude balloons built to hover in sulphuric acid clouds could be part of a future fleet of spacecraft sent to Venus, a NASA advisory team says. The multi-billion-dollar mission concept – which is being considered for launch in the next fifteen years – could help reveal more about Venus's runaway greenhouse effect, any oceans it may once have had, and possible ongoing volcanic activity."

arrow3.gifView: Full Article | arrow3.gifSource: New Scientist

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chaoszerg

• TSS

• HerNibs

• Wyvernkeeper

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree there are better projects to be spending the money on. I would personally like to see a moon outpost or a manned mission to Mars, if the money is to stay in the space program.

I agree there are better projects to be spending the money on. I would personally like to see a moon outpost or a manned mission to Mars, if the money is to stay in the space program.

I agree a Moon outpost would be a better idea in my opinion but hopefully this project may give us some ideas for Terraforming.

i just wonder, what will happen if a huge block of ice ( as big as America) crash into venus? will this cool down venus?

WOOOOOHOOOOO!

lol, i was about to quote that same post and write exactly the same thing ... oh well

WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOo

lol, i was about to quote that same post and write exactly the same thing ... oh well

WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOo

*Does the space geek jig*

That should annoy him/her! ;)

*Does the space geek jig*

That should annoy him/her! ;)

Good grief man if you are going to do the space geek jig at least keep your pants on. I think I will have to look through a telescope now at a solar eclipse and burn my retina.

Good grief man if you are going to do the space geek jig at least keep your pants on. I think I will have to look through a telescope now at a solar eclipse and burn my retina.

LOL...now, now! No need to get an inferiority complex and burn your eyes out. You've either got it or you haven't!

.....well, you did walk into that one. ;):D

LOL...now, now! No need to get an inferiority complex and burn your eyes out. You've either got it or you haven't!

.....well, you did walk into that one. ;):D

Not only did I walk into it I tripped over it for being so huge. :P Lucky space geeks.

I wonder if we will ever attempt to try and terraform the moon, or setup up habitats there for our overgrowing population, I am hoping this little adventure may yield some interesting information about climate change that we can use.

Not only did I walk into it I tripped over it for being so huge. :P Lucky space geeks.

I wonder if we will ever attempt to try and terraform the moon, or setup up habitats there for our overgrowing population, I am hoping this little adventure may yield some interesting information about climate change that we can use.

Well that's the thing about any space mission imo. Even if the results don't yield immediate progress, or the mission fails (beagle 2 springs to mind) there is always lessons learnt for future ventures. Any mission is never a waste of money imo. If we intend to buck the trend of the dinosaurs we've got to get off this rock at some point - what a monumental ****-up it would be if we ceased to exist because of money. :hmm:

I read this and immediately thought of little Venutians with camera phones taking shaky, blurry pictures and posting them in a forum like this.

LOOK!!1!1 OMG!! ALIENS!!1!!

:P

HN

I read this and immediately thought of little Venutians with camera phones taking shaky, blurry pictures and posting them in a forum like this.

LOOK!!1!1 OMG!! ALIENS!!1!!

tongue.gif

HN

No they would be taking blurry pics and saying omg look high altitude weather balloons and their buddies telling them they were imagining things and just seeing a normal everyday Venutian spaceship.

No they would be taking blurry pics and saying omg look high altitude weather balloons and their buddies telling them they were imagining things and just seeing a normal everyday Venutian spaceship.

LOL

HN

I dont see why it's thought of as a waste. This is a standard voyage to explore another world ! Amazing and it will help us better understand the planets in our solar system. Without that understanding we would be worse off when we find more exotic worlds out there in the universe and don't know what to make of them.

Way to go NASA...you are gonna waste the American tax payers hard earned cash yet again. Sorry for the bluntness, but I think the condition of our planet,economy, and conflicts with our seemingly endless stay overseas should be top priority before anything else...

Way to go NASA...you are gonna waste the American tax payers hard earned cash yet again. Sorry for the bluntness, but I think the condition of our planet,economy, and conflicts with our seemingly endless stay overseas should be top priority before anything else...

It could help with the condition of our planet, we could learn something to help with climate change.

I wonder if Venus has it's own "Starchy". Lots of clouds on Venus to photograph.

HN

Otherwise, yeah, I think the money could go to something more immediate but it isn't going to so I will be excited about the mission. Should be really cool.

:)

HN

Four billion dollars??? Enough is enough; there are better things to 'test' out with an amount that great. Sheesh. :angry2:

Great news, knowledge has no price. Go for it NASA.

Actually, how many of you realize that thise missions will get us closer to so long aspired space race; with starship and colonies?

w00t! I hope the balloons contain some good spectroscopes... I still think that the clouds of Venus are one of the places in the solar system most amenable to microbial life off the earth.