Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Angelic Scrips and Symbolism

Blueguardian

Hello, I've been wondering for a while now, what is the Symbol of St Michael the archangel? Ive been looking on the internet and I've found two images.

1. Image 1

and

2.Image 2

Why is it so confusing?

Well for the second symbol Iv'e had some very random websites claim things like

Archangel Michael -- Guardian of the South and Element of Fire. Chief of the Archangels, Angel of Justice, Strength and Protection

and for the first one I've read some websites that have said its the sun and it has to do with the planet that he is paired up with etc.

So do one or both of these images have any truth to them or are they just random symbols? And if neither of these are right what is the correct symbol?

Source for image 1 Source For Image 1

Source for image 2 and quote regarding image 2 Source For Image 2

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blueguardian

• Omnaka

• MaggieDruydess

• CausticGnostic

Hello, I've been wondering for a while now, what is the Symbol of St Michael the archangel? Ive been looking on the internet and I've found two images.

1. Image 1

and

2.Image 2

Why is it so confusing?

and for the first one I've read some websites that have said its the sun and it has to do with the planet that he is paired up with etc.

So do one or both of these images have any truth to them or are they just random symbols? And if neither of these are right what is the correct symbol?

If I'm right the first one is a symbol and the second one is created using a magick square and is called a sigil. They symbol and sigil are two different things entirely.

http://www.spiralnature.com/magick/squaresigilseal.html

1. Image 1

and

2.Image 2

Why is it so confusing?

The first set of symbols refer to the ruling planets, not the angels themselves:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http:/...=image&cd=1

The second set I have nooo idea.

1. Image 1

and

2.Image 2

Why is it so confusing?

His Color is Definatly blue, and I see a Cross with a Star of david and sword all overlaid. as per the stick figures I go with No 1 as in The first spirit son Of god Mother and Father . The O with a dot represents Michael to me.

I don't think The symbol means Half as much as what Michael stands For.

Protector Of Our Family and The innocent..

Love Omnaka

Edited by Omnaka

Hello, and thank you to everyone, this really has been bugging me for a while and now I can relax knowing that the second symbol is a sigil and the first is more symbolizing Michael and the Sun, I like learning about different symbols that are used. I'll try to work the first symbol into a new avatar I'm working on. :D Cheers, and thanks again :D.

Whether symbol or sigil, they're both entirely arbitrary (that is, are made up and could be otherwise), and neither has any magical or supernatural efficacy. The supposed "angelic script" is not a script, because you can't write anything with it. It doesn't constitute a sign system for a language. But even if it were a script, it could be otherwise. Pick your own symbol/sigil/sign for whoever or whatever you wish. It means only what you think it means.

Hello, and thank you to everyone, this really has been bugging me for a while and now I can relax knowing that the second symbol is a sigil and the first is more symbolizing Michael and the Sun, I like learning about different symbols that are used. I'll try to work the first symbol into a new avatar I'm working on. :D Cheers, and thanks again :D.

I like your avatar Heart is definatly a Michael symbol.

His heart beats as one with Fathers heart. The concentric circles is nice, or Infinate circles

Unconditional Love is his guide, and Father and Mother.

Love Omnaka

I like your avatar Heart is definatly a Michael symbol.

His heart beats as one with Fathers heart. The concentric circles is nice, or Infinate circles

Unconditional Love is his guide, and Father and Mother.

Love Omnaka

Thanks, I guess I got some good inspiration for it :).

my sig has angelic script on it.

Nice Sig :tu:, I think I see the angelic script, but what do the symbols mean?

Thanks, I guess I got some good inspiration for it :).

Nice Sig :tu:, I think I see the angelic script, but what do the symbols mean?

I think it says "Innocent".

Love Omnaka

I think it says "Innocent".

Love Omnaka

Nice :tu:, always interesting learning new things :D

I still don't see why an angel would need a script? As spiritual beings, they're supposedly telepathic, right? Signs, symbols, emblems, and scripts are MAN-made; therefore, they're contingent creations, meaning they could be otherwise and can be defined as meaning whatever you please.

I still don't see why an angel would need a script? As spiritual beings, they're supposedly telepathic, right? Signs, symbols, emblems, and scripts are MAN-made; therefore, they're contingent creations, meaning they could be otherwise and can be defined as meaning whatever you please.

I believe the theory is that 'god' gave us the symbos/sigils/signants we needed to call upon and sometimes harness/control those entities (energies) that we define as divine. When in fact (At least in my opinion) our simply accepting the fact that we are all God(desss)es ourselves (Or at least all a small piece of God) We learn to harness those energies without using physical symbols.

Still to our simple minds (and lower selves) we hold onto physical things (symbols).

• 1 year later...

What you have here are two different sources, neither of them true angelic script. The fisrt is alchemical symbols for angels and their resonances and the second appears to be enochian, which is closer, from my understanding to true angelic script, but whose provanance is murker as the sources (Enochian fallen angels and Edward Kelly) are dark and suspicious. Also there are several different symbols for Angels in angelic script - a phonetic spelling of the name and sigel and different people do different interprataions. All of this theoretically comes out of a channel - a human host who is flawed. Also, one must assume that angelic script, like angels themselves are a very complicated business. Angels have myriad different personal reflections in this world. They can appear as humans or in visages so terrible that they set humans in their presence to flames. God is unknowable, beyond comprehension, wouldn't also be his messengers? This is the source ofthe confusion. :) I hope this helps.

1. <a href="http://kimbasangels.com/angelic_planets.gif" target="_blank">Image 1</a>

and

2.<a href="http://www.healingreiki.com/images/custom/angel_signs.jpg" target="_blank">Image 2</a>

Why is it so confusing?

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Archangel Michael -- Guardian of the South and Element of Fire. Chief of the Archangels, Angel of Justice, Strength and Protection<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Source for image 1 <a href="http://kimbasangels.com/seal.html" target="_blank">Source For Image 1</a>

Source for image 2 and quote regarding image 2 <a href="http://www.healingreiki.com/product/Archangel_Healing_Angelite_Stones_set_of_4-37-18.html" target="_blank">Source For Image 2</a>

What you have here are two different sources, neither of them true angelic script. The fisrt is alchemical symbols for angels and their resonances and the second appears to be enochian, which is closer, from my understanding to true angelic script, but whose provanance is murker as the sources (Enochian fallen angels and Edward Kelly) are dark and suspicious.

No, Nerdherder was absolutely correct on this one. The first merely shows astrological symbols for the planets. Angels were associated with the planets and the attributes they embodied. The one by Michael stands for the sun or gold. In and of itself, that symbol would not indicate an angel.

The second sigil is derived from a planetary square or the Rosy Cross and is based on the hebrew letters in a name and their value in gematria. It is not related to Enochian. The general method is described well here: http://www.angelfire.com/journal/cathbodua/Sigils/Sigils.html

It doesn't really matter which you use. as long as it has meaning to you; a symbol's power is purely psychological.

Edited by Cybele

My symbol is the pyramid, I draw strength from it how I do not know.My symbol is a blue hart shaped shield I have a double edged sword. I fear nothing and I know I sound a nutter.

<!--quoteo(post=2819586:date=Apr 2 2009, 06:04 AM:name=CausticGnostic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CausticGnostic @ Apr 2 2009, 06:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2819586"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I still don't see why an angel would need a script? As spiritual beings, they're supposedly telepathic, right? Signs, symbols, emblems, and scripts are MAN-made; therefore, they're contingent creations, meaning they could be otherwise and can be defined as meaning whatever you please.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I believe the theory is that 'god' gave us the symbos/sigils/signants we needed to call upon and sometimes harness/control those entities (energies) that we define as divine. When in fact (At least in my opinion) our simply accepting the fact that we are all God(desss)es ourselves (Or at least all a small piece of God) We learn to harness those energies without using physical symbols.

Still to our simple minds (and lower selves) we hold onto physical things (symbols).

Well Put Very Well put!

• 3 years later...

I am looking for the ancient symbol for Saint Michael that predates the Church, and is most likely found in the oldest Jewish traditions. Can anyone help? Thanks.