Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Alabama White Thing.

Rahhhh!

So when I was about 7, my grandmother told me and my cousin about the creature that roams around when it's midnight.

And she said that two men who were hunting heard the screaming of a woman/ the crying of a baby, which is what it's supposed to sound like.

Then they saw it chasing them, and they had to throw the meat that they got from hunting down to it, [they had to climb a tree].

And they had to stay up in the tree until the morning.

And my friend and her dad/ their friends have supposedly heard it.

So what do you think?

• Like 2

So when I was about 7, my grandmother told me and my cousin about the creature that roams around when it's midnight.

And she said that two men who were hunting heard the screaming of a woman/ the crying of a baby, which is what it's supposed to sound like.

Then they saw it chasing them, and they had to throw the meat that they got from hunting down to it, [they had to climb a tree].

So what do you think?

linked-image???

Sorry, couldn't resist!

So what do you think?

It really sounds like something you were told maybe just to keep you from wondering around at night? Some people will use legends and such as scare tactics for kids to keep em in line but than again I don't know your grandmother. Sounds a bit like a made up story though from "roams around at midnight." If they saw something it could have quite possibly been an albino wild animal or something depending on the region as well.

More detail would be helpful. I read some older accounts of things (don't remember the state or even country) of white amoeba like things but they struck me more as giant human-sized slugs or something. This isn't nearly as good as the octopus thing that ran after a bunch of campers in a car.

• Like 2

linked-image???

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Naw, these guys would have set the tree on fire after being slapped meat on their white suit.

• 4 weeks later...

I heard that before.

La Llorona

LA LLORONA - La Llorona is a ghost figure of Mexican and Mexican-American cultures. She’s always seen as a weeping woman. According to folklore, while alive La Llorona was a woman who had several children, but she fell in love with a man who didn’t want a family. In order to stand by her man, she drowned her own children. But the, overcome with grief and guilt, she killed herself. She’s seen at night, usually along a river, a forest, or a deserted road, crying and looking for her lost children.

There are many variations to the La Llorona story. In some, she simply murdered her children and is doomed to be a ghost in eternity for her sins. In other versions of the tale, La Llorona behaves like a phantom hitchhiker. A man sees a weeping woman on a deserted road. He gives he a ride, then she vanishes from the car.

La Llorona is usually dressed all in black, but she is sometimes seen in white. She usually has long black hair and long fingernails. Most men would consider her sexy or at least seductive. But she has a dark side. To some, she appears without a face, or with the face of a bat or a horse.

I agree it sounds alot like La Llorona heres more info on her La Llorona

Edited by MirrorImage

So what do you think?

Very interesting! I'm from Alabama and I was under the impression that this was common knowledge.

Female pumas, cougars, panthers (whatever you want to call them) make this "screaming" or "baby crying" sound when they are in heat.

I looked for an audio clip for you and found the closest thing to what I've heard.

cougar sounds

Type in cougar sounds or panther sounds in Google, you'll find plenty.

Where in Alabama?

Who are you asking? Me or Rahh?

If it's me, I'm in Houston County.

We have several legends (other than panthers) in this part of the state.

Like the Goatman, the skunkape

or the elephant's grave (which turned out to be true)

If anyone's interested I'll post some of them.

Edited by Pythia

or the elephant's grave (which turned out to be true)

What's that about?

What's that about?

I'm glad you asked! :D This is an old urban legend that's been passed down for almost a hundred years in this area.

The legend goes that there was a traveling circus that visited this town and while they were here, one of the elephants died and was buried right outside of town. The grave was supposedly marked with a large piece of limestone which no one of my generation seemed to be able to find, so we all pretty much dismissed it.

Seems that the real story is even more interesting than the legend as it usually is.

The traveling circus was The Mighty Haags and they wintered in Marianna Florida from about 1918(?) until sometime in the early 30's.

They had three elephants, Babe, Tip and Alice. Here's a pic of them.

linked-image

Sometime between 1920 and 1925 while wintering in Marianna, one of the other elephants killed Babe. I can't find any info on whether it was Tip or Alice.

As punishment, the offending elephant was forced to drag Babe as far as they could and when they could pull Babe's lifeless body no further, Babe was buried on the side of what was then a dirt road, but is now a few hundred yards from a bustling little county road and it's paved now. ;) It's about 20 miles from Marianna.

The grave was then indeed marked with a large piece of limestone and it's still there today.

I never would have believed it, but I finally ran across a 99 year old gentleman who not only remembered it, but knew exactly where it was and I saw it for myself. I'd post a pic, but I can't get to it right now, because of the flooding here. I'll try to get back out there Sunday to get pics.

Interestingly enough, Tip died in an accident in Edensburg PA, seems he was pushed from a moving truck by none other than Alice.

That may be just another legend, but it is curious because her toe was also wounded in the accident.

Helen Haag was the first woman to do the leg carry from an elephant's mouth, she trained Alice to do it.

Alice hit Helen with her trunk at a show in Virginia. Alice dropped Helen at a show in Chicago causing Helen to break a few ribs.

I'm going to guess that it was probably Alice that dragged Babe the 20 miles to her gravesite.

It's a very sad story, but it's true.

Edited by Pythia

Wait, if they were hunting that means that the men were ARMED. if they were armed, then why didn't they kill the creature as well? More meat is always better, even though the second type of meat is unknown, it should still be edible.

I'm glad you asked! :D This is an old urban legend that's been passed down for almost a hundred years in this area.

The legend goes that there was a traveling circus that visited this town and while they were here, one of the elephants died and was buried right outside of town. The grave was supposedly marked with a large piece of limestone which no one of my generation seemed to be able to find, so we all pretty much dismissed it.

Seems that the real story is even more interesting than the legend as it usually is.

The traveling circus was The Mighty Haags and they wintered in Marianna Florida from about 1918(?) until sometime in the early 30's.

linked-image

Sometime between 1920 and 1925 while wintering in Marianna, one of the other elephants killed Babe. I can't find any info on whether it was Tip or Alice.

As punishment, the offending elephant was forced to drag Babe as far as they could and when they could pull Babe's lifeless body no further, Babe was buried on the side of what was then a dirt road, but is now a few hundred yards from a bustling little county road and it's paved now. ;) It's about 20 miles from Marianna.

The grave was then indeed marked with a large piece of limestone and it's still there today.

I never would have believed it, but I finally ran across a 99 year old gentleman who not only remembered it, but knew exactly where it was and I saw it for myself. I'd post a pic, but I can't get to it right now, because of the flooding here. I'll try to get back out there Sunday to get pics.

Interestingly enough, Tip died in an accident in Edensburg PA, seems he was pushed from a moving truck by none other than Alice.

That may be just another legend, but it is curious because her toe was also wounded in the accident.

Helen Haag was the first woman to do the leg carry from an elephant's mouth, she trained Alice to do it.

Alice hit Helen with her trunk at a show in Virginia. Alice dropped Helen at a show in Chicago causing Helen to break a few ribs.

I'm going to guess that it was probably Alice that dragged Babe the 20 miles to her gravesite.

I'm not sure how to reply to post other than fast reply. I hope I'm doing this right.

That's a great story. I need to find some about Mobile.

Very interesting! I'm from Alabama and I was under the impression that this was common knowledge.

Female pumas, cougars, panthers (whatever you want to call them) make this "screaming" or "baby crying" sound when they are in heat.

I looked for an audio clip for you and found the closest thing to what I've heard.

cougar sounds

Type in cougar sounds or panther sounds in Google, you'll find plenty.

Wow - every cougar I've ever encountered in my younger days never sounded like that. The ones I ran into spoke perfect english and would hang out in bars. :P

• Like 2

linked-image

Truth is really stranger then fiction. :) Thank you for that story.

Truth is really stranger then fiction. :) Thank you for that story.

You're welcome!

Wow - every cougar I've ever encountered in my younger days never sounded like that. The ones I ran into spoke perfect english and would hang out in bars. :P

Heehee, it may be that cougars only make those sounds when there's an attractive male around. :P:lol:

That's a great story. I need to find some about Mobile.

I love Mobile, it's a very interesting, historically rich city.

It should be chock full of urban legends, true and not-so-true, I'll bet you could find lot's of them.

If you find some good legends, post 'em please! I'd love to hear about them.

I spent the night on the USS Alabama once, with my son's 6th grade class. We heard some really weird stuff in there in the middle of the night. There are probably lot's of legends about that ship.

linked-image

Wow, what an evil elephant

Wow - every cougar I've ever encountered in my younger days never sounded like that. The ones I ran into spoke perfect english and would hang out in bars.
Heh-heh-heh! LOL! Yeah, now that is a good one! I'm still chuckling! What makes it worse is that I have been talking to an older woman pretty often lately too! LOL!

• 2 months later...

I've heard that story before.... matter of fact i have a friend that wont even go down a certain road because he has came face to face with it.....