Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Troops Blast Music in Siege of Fallujah

DC09

FALLUJAH, Iraq - In Fallujah's darkened, empty streets, U.S. troops blast AC/DC's "Hell's Bells" and other rock music full volume from a huge speaker, hoping to grate on the nerves of this Sunni Muslim city's gunmen and give a laugh to Marines along the front line.

Unable to advance farther into the city, an Army psychological operations team hopes a mix of heavy metal and insults shouted in Arabic — including, "You shoot like a goat herder" — will draw gunmen to step forward and attack. But no luck Thursday night.

The loud music recalls the Army's use of rap and rock to help flush out Panamanian leader Manuel Noriega after the December 1989 invasion on his country, and the FBI's blaring progressively more irritating tunes in an attempt to end a standoff with armed members of the Branch Davidian cult in Waco, Texas in 1993.

The Marines' psychological operations came as U.S. negotiators were pressing Fallujah representatives to get gunmen in the city to abide by a cease-fire.

Six days after negotiations halted a U.S. offensive against insurgents in the city, the Marines continue carving out front line positions and hope for orders to push forward. Many are questioning the value of truce talks with an enemy who continues to launch attacks.

"These guys don't have a centralized leader; they're just here to fight. I don't see what negotiations are going to do," said Capt. Shannon Johnson, a company commander for the 3rd Battalion, 4th Marine Regiment. Word of truce talks last week forced his battalion to halt its plunge into the northeast section of the city just hours after arriving to back up other Marines.

Full Article

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cufflink

• stillcrazy

• Naveed

• The Krow

Top Posters In This Topic

If they blasted out Coldplay, there would have to be officers facing trial for war crimes.

No, no, no, play eminem, and that would be a war crime. wink2.gif Heck it'd get me to come out and yell "Turn that ^*)*$@#&*$^@&(%*@%@&%@(*%*(%@%^((&%#%@% crap off!" then I'd shoot the freaking radio and whoever turned it on.

Of course though it actually theoretically is a good idea, music can drive people insane if they don't like it. God knows rap does that to me. cool.gif Gimme Iron Maiden and Manowar any day., or a nice classical piece thumbsup.gif .

Edited by Naveed

I think they would have better result if they played hank williams and conway twitty, but thats just my opinion.

They should play The Birdie Song. Or maybe that's going too far?

They should play The Birdie Song. Or maybe that's going too far?

Cufflink, being on this side of the pond, What the heck is the birdie song?

They should play The Birdie Song.  Or maybe that's going too far?

laugh.gif

One of those terrible, gruesome things we British have given the world, like Jack The Ripper, The Tower of London, and Benny Hill.

It was a dreadful comedy song, much-loved by downmarket people and idiots. There might be a download of it somewhere online, but I beg of you, don't listen to it! laugh.gif

They should play The Birdie Song.   Or maybe that's going too far?

laugh.gif

One of those terrible, gruesome things we British have given the world, like Jack The Ripper, The Tower of London, and Benny Hill.

It was a dreadful comedy song, much-loved by downmarket people and idiots. There might be a download of it somewhere online, but I beg of you, don't listen to it! laugh.gif

LOL, I'll take your word and advice, I just never heard of it. Thanks.

I've solved it! They need to play the Spam song from the Monty Python! According to some people *cougherikbeckjordcough* we should use Spam as a deturent. So if they really cannot eat pork, then the Spam song is probably tortre for them. cool.gif

"Spam spam spam spam. Lovely spam! Wonderful spam! Spam spa-a-a-a-a-am spam spa-a-a-a-a-am spam. Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Spam spam spam spam!"

http://www.detritus.org/spam/skit.html

Edited by Naveed

"Spam spam spam spam. Lovely spam! Wonderful spam! Spam spa-a-a-a-a-am spam spa-a-a-a-a-am spam. Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Spam spam spam spam!"

Tooo Funnnnnny LOL thumbsup.gif

They should have played Blind Guardians "another Holy War" or the Offsprings "tehran" that would have really ticked them off.