Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

5 Questions that Christian Scientists .......

Beckys_Mom

Are some people confusing that Christian Scientist is an actual religion and not a lifestyle that most other christians subscribe to?? I see someone tried to explain that.

They actually believe in evolution and other sciences, but also believe in a God and believe that he fully holds their destiny in his hands.

Most of the crazy stories you hear about "christians" who won't get medical care for themselves or children are often--more than not--Christian Scientists. I've only known one Christian Scientist in my whole life. She damn near died giving birth to her second daughter at home, who was breach--she left the church shortly afterward.

They totally will agree with your scientific theories, however, their spirituality lies outside of science and rightly so. They believe that God and science are two completely separate things from my undertanding.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Copasetic

• Beckys_Mom

• IamsSon

• preacherman76

No Iams, I wouldn't consider this an adequate response.

Remember from our discussion long ago that science as a tool, allows us to differentiate answers. Not all answers are equal and some answers we should pay no mind to. That we have reliable scientific answers, means we shouldn't sit around entertaining a supernatural explanation for them.

I would recommend for you (from your authority on science, Indiana University) The Magic Hooey Stick lesson.

If we wish to believe God is behind every natural action, such as a rainbow or mice and men having 7 vertebra, then that can be taken on faith. As such, it not only is outside the bound of science, but isn't truly worthy of consideration in light of a rational, scientific explanation.

Your question however, is very loaded:

" I asked if God DID do it, and we could not prove it wouldn't a scientist be bound to admit that the proof lies outside of the current scope of science? "

I can replace God, with any number of things and come to a equally ridiculous dilemma:

"I asked if Copasetic DID do it, and we could not prove it wouldn't a scientist be bound to admit that the proof lies outside of the current scope of science?

I understand why you want to make this point Iams, but in my opinion your dilemma here is theistically unsound as it is rationally.

OK, thanks for clarifying your response.

Since you have somewhat conveniently whisked away the actual issue at hand (questions for creationists) Iams, Lets get back on topic.

Would you care to a shot at those 5 questions posed by BM or the 5 I posted?

Here they are again if you have forgotten them:

1. Why do people and mice have 7 cervical vertebrae?

2. Why do embryos of animals like the anteater and humpback whale have teeth only as embryos and reabsorb them before birth?

3. Why is sickle cell anemia on the rise in African populations?

4. Why do people of European descent get HIV less often than other ethnic groups?

5. Why does giving supplements to patients (anemic and undernourished) increase their chances for microbial infections?

I'm not a biologist and have to this point not read anything in regards to these questions, so my answers would at best be very uneducated guesses, sorry.

I'm not a biologist and have to this point not read anything in regards to these questions, so my answers would at best be very uneducated guesses, sorry.

Ahh, no worries than. Maybe Preacherman will be up to it.

Ahh, no worries than. Maybe Preacherman will be up to it.

Is there a particular reason you asked these questions? Is there some reason that these facts invalidate God as creator?

Is there a particular reason you asked these questions? Is there some reason that these facts invalidate God as creator?

The reason had nothing to do with god, but with "christian science". There is no such thing as "christian science", science is not exclusive to one group over another.

To validate "Christian Science", those questions should be answerable based upon this biblical science. If "Christian science" is or should be taught as an 'alternative' to evolutionary biology, then it had better be damn sure to be able to answer the same things evolutionary biology is capable of answering.

As to your second question, no they don't invalidate God as a creator. Why would they?

Edited by Copasetic

The reason had nothing to do with god, but with "christian science". There is no such thing as "christian science", science is not exclusive to one group over another.

To validate "Christian Science", those questions should be answerable based upon this biblical science.

You do realize Christian Science is a cult, right?

As to your second question, no they don't invalidate God as a creator. Why would they?
Not sure, that's why I asked.

You do realize Christian Science is a cult, right?

Yes and no. There are those that practice it as a cult, then those who believe it to be legitimate science. Such as those at the Discovery institute, Institute for creation research or those pushing this agenda in the topic Texas School Board Set to Vote on Challenge .

I realize the original premise of the topic was directed at those who are members of the "cult of Christian science". I thought it would be nice to see if the "legitimate" christian scientists (or IDer's, your preference) could answer those questions or similar ones.

Not sure, that's why I asked.

Similarly, they don't invalidate Copasetic as a creator ;)

Five Questions that Christian Scientists Can't Answer

1 - If, as Christian Science claims, sickness is the result of false beliefs, how do plants become sick?

Fungi have more faith than plants do.

How did dinosaurs become sick when there were no people around to have false beliefs about them?

Dinosaurs did not have faith in people.

2 - If Christian Science really helps people avoid being sick, why is it that some of the worst US measles outbreaks in the past few years took place at a Christian Science college?

Measles don't have faith in Christian Science.

3- Why is it that Christian Scientists tend to die earlier than non-Christian Scientists (as measured, for example, by the Wilson and Simpson studies)?

Their reward for having faith.

4 - Why is there not a single example of a Christian Scientist avoiding the supposedly false ideal of mortality (by living, for example, for more than 140 years)?

They lack faith in longevity.

5 - Why does the Christian Science church scrupulously avoid any scientific testing of its claims?

They have faith in science.

Doug

A synopsis of the Church Christian Science, regarded by mainstream Christianity as a cult.

Christian Science is a religious belief system established in the year 1866 by Mary Baker Eddy. Practiced most prominently by members of the Church of Christ, Scientist that she founded, Christian Science asserts that humanity and the universe as a whole are, correctly viewed, spiritual rather than material; that truth and good are real and therefore evil and error are unreal; and that through prayer and spiritual comprehension, through knowing and understanding God, these facts can be demonstrated in healing.

More at wiki

More Here

A synopsis of the Church Christian Science, regarded by mainstream Christianity as a cult.

Christian Science is a religious belief system established in the year 1866 by Mary Baker Eddy. Practiced most prominently by members of the Church of Christ, Scientist that she founded, Christian Science asserts that humanity and the universe as a whole are, correctly viewed, spiritual rather than material; that truth and good are real and therefore evil and error are unreal; and that through prayer and spiritual comprehension, through knowing and understanding God, these facts can be demonstrated in healing.

More at wiki

More Here

Interesting read Irish..but I still have doubts in the healing....I have a feeling that some of these people that claim to be healers, are fakes

I believe firmly in stories of those that pray for a miricle...IE your own story Irish...I believe in your story and other like it.......but the healers no can do

The church of Christian Scientists publish a daily newspaper http://www.csmonitor.com/ .

(they are an official denomination/sect .. not necessarily a cult which I will state again is a totally loaded word with far too many meanings to be thrown about lightly)

All things considered, it's a fairly secular publication, but with a religious spin. It's worth looking at to see how you feel about it. I know my folks used to get it back in the 1970s, but only because someone gave them a subscription (I think my episcopalian aunt) for a gift. I don't know, it's not a horrible paper from what I recall... I don't ever read it or subscribe, but it's a good place to start looking into how the Church of Christian Science views the world. If I also remember rightly, they've won a number of Pulitzer Prizes, one fairly recently but I can't remember when or for what.

I don't agree with the Church of Christian Science, their lifestyle is not one I'd choose for myself.. .but oddly? In some ways, it's not so different from the lifestyle choices my non-christian parents have chosen for themselves. Like CCS also don't see western medical doctors, but they try to meditate and yoga their ailments away. At a basic level, it's the same damn thing without the religion! LOL. (except when my parents choose this kind of lifestyle it's somehow more tasteful than if it were a religion because their practice is based on eastern philosophy and not christianity, although it's the same kind of outcome. Weird)

Edited by MissMelsWell

More at wiki

More Here

Wait, if they view the concept of "evil" as "unreal," then what does that say about their "faith" in the teachings of the Bible? Sounds to me like an offshoot.

Hey Cop,

I had to take a class yesterday and today. Im not saying I can answer your questions, but Im going to run them by some people who might. It wont be till tonight or tommaro. Talk to you soon.

Hey Cop,

I had to take a class yesterday and today. Im not saying I can answer your questions, but Im going to run them by some people who might. It wont be till tonight or tommaro. Talk to you soon.

Are you a christian scientist??

Are you a christian scientist??

No, but I play one on TV. ;)

No, but I play one on TV. ;)

I figured you wernt lol but I know some like to act it LMAO :P

Hey Cop,

Hey Preacherman, noticed you perusing -Still planing on answering them?