Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Grim Reaper Sightings

Battlestar Scralatchtica

One day a few years ago, my little brother, who was 9 at the time was outside with my dad. My little brother goes off to the side yard and sees, what he called the "Grim Reaper". He said he say it floating from out side back yard, to the front yard. So he sees it, freaks out, runs in the house and tells my mom. Of course you may think, it's just a little boys' imagination, but he was scared, and a little bit in shock. My mom believed him. Why would a little boy lie about something that scary looking. He decribed the cloke it was wearing, but it didn't have the sythe (mispelled?) Anyway, could it have been something else? Please someone explain this.

So I told my friend who I was with last night about this "Grim Reaper" thing. She tells me, she's seen one and her Aunts has seen one 4 or 5 times. But nothing bad has happened to them. One story in particular she told was about her Aunt. She said that her Aunt was sleeping and she wakes up to a cloked figure standing at the foot of her bed, what appears to be touching her foot. Agian I am NOT lying about these stories, I hate lyers. Please can SOMEONE, ANYONE PLEASE explain this. Are they just Ghosts or THE "Grim Reaper"?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Battlestar Scralatchtica

• Ashyne

• CausticGnostic

• Evilblack

Why would a little boy lie about something that scary looking.

Well there are alot of problems with that nothion ;)

Im not sure what they could be...maybe the angle of death...but as you said nothing bad has happened.

Maybe shadow people (or more probably real shadows)

Anyway this was an interesting story...thanx for posting it. I hope others can give better solutions.

Oh thanks, but this was in the afternoon, when he said he saw this thing. I have thought oh Shadow People. But I really have no idea. But thanks. :)

Someone comes to take you someplace once you have died. Grim reaper, angel of death or a mere guide, its all the same. I don't see why your brother would see it flying around in the backyard though. The grim reaper shows up to those dying.

I really don't know. All that I know is that he was freaked out bad. But then again, maybe it wasn't the Reaper... but who knows. I'm just wondering if other people ever had seen the same thing as him. Thanks though :)

Aunt was sleeping and she wakes up to a cloked figure standing at the foot of her bed, what appears to be touching her foot.

everytime i read something like this, i must assume that it's a result of being in the hypnagogic state, because i see such cloaked figures all the time but only when im about to fall asleep or when i'm in sleep paralysis. during these times i hear lots of whispering noises or scuttling of little feet on the marble floor or hear some music (most commonly from a piano or a flute) playing.

everytime i read something like this, i must assume that it's a result of being in the hypnagogic state, because i see such cloaked figures all the time but only when im about to fall asleep or when i'm in sleep paralysis. during these times i hear lots of whispering noises or scuttling of little feet on the marble floor or hear some music (most commonly from a piano or a flute) playing.

sorry for the off topic but who is that beautiful girl on your signature and avatar ?

sorry for the off topic but who is that beautiful girl on your signature and avatar ?

u should have sent me a personal message instead.

her name is Lee Ji-woo. she's a Korean model.

Doubt if you could see angels of death/ guardians or whatever those spirits that call for you once you die without actually dieing.

If what the boy saw was true then it might have been a shadowman.

I saw the grim reaper all the time, but a straight jacket and a lot of pills made him go away....heh

All joking aside, it was probably just a ghost apparition. You should not try to label such things as anything you believe is just a guess. Too bad you didn't get a photo of it. You should keep a camera handy in case you see it again.

Everyone on this forum would love to see it.

Edited by cpjason

Oh yes, I wish I could catch something on camera. But everytime something strange happens, I don't have it on me. Well, I'm thinking that it wasn't the Grim Reaper, I'm thinking it's shadow men. Still scary, but at least it's not the Grim Reaper. :)

I totally agree with your twilight signature. My gf who isnt fat, or goth is into twilight, and she is embarrassed to even look at a book, or dvd of it in public because she also says, "its a fat chick thing!" lol

Someone comes to take you someplace once you have died. Grim reaper, angel of death or a mere guide, its all the same. I don't see why your brother would see it flying around in the backyard though. The grim reaper shows up to those dying.

Perhaps he missed his appointment. We have found out about that loophole by watching "Dead Like Me"....

What logic is telling me:

1. He thought he saw something he didn't, be it hallucination or made up

2. Other kids were playing a trick on him

What my experiences are telling me:

He may have seen it. I work in an old folk's home, and one day I swear I felt as if Death himself were sitting around this corner waiting for someone to die. Strangest feeling I've ever had. I don't recall whether or not one of the residents died, but the feeling itself didn't scare me but almost put me to peace that there may be an afterlife.

Yet, I still have doubts in everything. It's just how I have to be.

Best-

J Gab

I'm new here, but this topic inspired me to post. Thirty years ago, when I was a teenager I woke up one night and saw a hooded figure over my bed. I didn't see it full length, just the head, shoulders and arms that were bent at the elbows so that I could see the bony hands. It scared me so I turned away. At that point I thought I might have dreamed it, so I looked up again. It was still there and I knew for sure that I was awake. I turned away again and when I got up enough nerve to look again it was gone. The next day my grandpa died. I don't know if that was a coincidence or not. I know many of you will not believe me, but I was just happy to find out that someone else saw something like this.

Do people still claim to see "the Grim Reaper," as opposed to, say, angels, ghosts, and shadow people? That's astounding, considering that belief in the Grim Reaper arose during the MIddle Ages, probably as a depiction of the Black Death. I'm surprised to hear that people are still reporting seeing the figure, especially the traditional dark, cloaked, hooded figure with a scythe. Had the little boy recently seen that movie "The Frighteners," perhaps? The image of the Grim Reaper appears in it, notably, as a disguise for the ghost of a serial killer. . . .

Do people still claim to see "the Grim Reaper," as opposed to, say, angels, ghosts, and shadow people? That's astounding, considering that belief in the Grim Reaper arose during the MIddle Ages, probably as a depiction of the Black Death. I'm surprised to hear that people are still reporting seeing the figure, especially the traditional dark, cloaked, hooded figure with a scythe. Had the little boy recently seen that movie "The Frighteners," perhaps? The image of the Grim Reaper appears in it, notably, as a disguise for the ghost of a serial killer. . . .

its a phenomenon known as 'social conditioning'. for example, before kenneth arnold reported seeing 'flying discs', there were almost no sightings of such types of UFOs, but after he told the media of his encounter, almost every UFO sighting afterwards involved flying saucers.

also, after the first 'grey'-type alien was reported, almost every 'abductee' later on said they saw this type of alien. the mind can be easily influenced.

One night at our old house I went into our spare room to get some towels and happened to look out the window, across the road floating under the street light was a figure in a long black hooded cloak it just kept going up the street. I was so scared it would look at me as I felt that would be really bad. I don't know what it was but I made sure I shut the blinds in there before dark every night afterwards.

I believe it's entirely possible that forces of the human mind can alter a person's perception or memories of a given event or time.

There are many parts to the human brain, and some of the parts that have been mapped out did not develop from neccesity (take for example the left and right angular gyrus').

In theory, there could be a part of the human mind which simulates perceptions of a set viual cue, say, the grim reaper.

I agree, Ashienne, at least in part. The subconscious mind is just as socially conditioned as the conscious mind. However, Cirrus's post touches on the question of whether (as C. G. Jung maintained) there's also a more universal substrate of consciousness, what Jung called the collective unconscious, which can project or eject archetypal contents. For example, the socially conditioned subconscious might substitute for the archetypal figure of the "Grim Reaper" a sinister-looking man dressed entirely in black and wearing a black hat. Maybe that's what the reports of "men in black" in the UFO field boil down to. . . .

Thanks for all the comments and the stories. My little brother hasn't seen it since, I hope I never see anything like that... I'd have a panic attack or something lol. But thanks people. :D

• 3 months later...
One day a few years ago, my little brother, who was 9 at the time was outside with my dad. My little brother goes off to the side yard and sees, what he called the "Grim Reaper". He said he say it floating from out side back yard, to the front yard. So he sees it, freaks out, runs in the house and tells my mom. Of course you may think, it's just a little boys' imagination, but he was scared, and a little bit in shock. My mom believed him. Why would a little boy lie about something that scary looking. He decribed the cloke it was wearing, but it didn't have the sythe (mispelled?) Anyway, could it have been something else? Please someone explain this.

So I told my friend who I was with last night about this "Grim Reaper" thing. She tells me, she's seen one and her Aunts has seen one 4 or 5 times. But nothing bad has happened to them. One story in particular she told was about her Aunt. She said that her Aunt was sleeping and she wakes up to a cloked figure standing at the foot of her bed, what appears to be touching her foot. Agian I am NOT lying about these stories, I hate lyers. Please can SOMEONE, ANYONE PLEASE explain this. Are they just Ghosts or THE "Grim Reaper"?

My sighting happened many years ago when I was about 14... When I reading your posting, the last one you described a out the Aunt was very similar to mine. I had a room in the basement, and one night I was sleeping and had this strange dream. It started with me watching my younger brother in a arcade place, playing a video game. You see, he was a video game junkie. My attention started focusing on the screen. I saw this black figure kind of flying and this swoosh feelying coming over me. Then the image seemed to take over the entire screen and I felt drawn to it. The feeling was so intense and scary I woke up. Stunned, at the foot of my bed was this tall black cloaked figure. I felt as though I was paralyzed I couldn't move. I remember having this sensation that I was floating above my bed. I was petrified. I closed my eyes tightly and remember praying really hard. I felt myself being lowered slowly until I could finally feel the bed beneath me. I opened my eyes again and he was gone. I'll never forget- it was already dark in the basement, and it was blacker than night, with no face and black cloak. He didn't have a sword or anything he just was standing there motionless at the foot of my bed. Up until now, never thought this had happened to anyone else,. It's an experience I'll never forget, I told my mom about it and she believed me too.

I find it most interesting that people associate such sightings as a fearful experience. There is so much not known about such things that the possibility of them being something other than evil is very possible. I have done some reading on this phenomena and not many experiences indicate anything negative happening at all. In fact some have even suggested healing efforts being made by such beings. Some find that they have gained some knowledge that they could not have had with out the help of these beings. And there is the interesting theory of alien activity also.

Maybe its an ability that your family has, the grim reaper comes just before your 9 year old brother is about to die, he sees it and doesn't die because he runs back inside instead of doing something dangerous that would result in death, changing his fate.

• The topic was locked