Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

misa de momo

o71v3r

Im from Philippuines. i experienced the unexplained when i was just around 8 y/o. i am now 21 y/o and still i cant explain how these works.

it was sort of a game before that some of the kids play. i have a cousin from manila who taught us something about a tissue paper and a yellow paper. we would put 3 different names each on 3 small pieces of yellow paper. the tissue papers would serve as a wrapping for each of the yellow papers. and then we recite the words which i didnt even know what it meant 3 times:

misa de momo

misa de mama

misa de mami

chopak chak

chopak chok

chopak rak

if we concentrate very hardly and really serious of what we are doing, the name of those 1 or 2 out of 3 person you wrote would literally pop out and means that that person likes you.

before, we would do it as a group of 3 or 4 but then i was so skeptic about all of it. i thought maybe it was altered. then i decided to go do it on my aunts room. the room was dimly lit, it was twilight. she had a lamp beside her bed. i sat at her floor, the bed and lamp at my back. i then recited those words 3 times and i was even closing my eyes. after that i opened the tissue papers and surprised that the name ANN popped out. i know ann liked me. i was trembling then because the dim lights gets much dimmer. i turned and saw a hooded figure, more shadowy like. his hands was perching on the lamp while standing between the bed and the lamp. i got so scared i run all the way to our house.

heres how to do it:

you need a yellow paper.

tissue paper.

pencil or pen

scissor

you write 1 unique name each on the 3 pieces of yellow paper. the yellow paper should be about 3cmx5cm.

then you curl it like a lumpia shanghai. then put it aside

next you will get 3 pieces of tissue. just the regular square size. then put 1 curled yellow paper in the center of 1 tissue. then you fold the tissue in a triangle making the yellow paper enveloped inside. then curl it again like a lumpia shanghai starting from the bottom part of the triangle.

when all three are done put them altogether like an asterisk and place it in your heart. then recite the words 3 times.

if your done, place all three of them separately.

unfold 1 of the 3 tissue. remember that the yellow paper was enveloped inside the folded tissue. if the person you wrote likes you, then his/her name would appear on the outside of the folded tissue paper. (imagine a clam with a pearl inside. if all works, it will be like the clam's pearl apear on top of it).

my cousin from manila said that it will be difficult at first and that none may pop out. you can try 2 or 3 times but never exceed on 3 because it is not acurate anymore.. he said that you can even make the 'name that pops out' go crazy on you. just simply put his/her name on your wallet or under your pillow every night.

im having trouble believing all these when i was the one who experienced it all. can someone explain to me how the name popped out.

• Like 2

It was the over-active imagination of an 8 year-old, placed in a situation where you were going to interpret anything as paranormal. Couple that with the fact that our memory is notoriously unreliable.

To quote from the film 'Memento'; "Memory can change the shape of a room. It can change the color of a car. And memories can be distorted. They are just an interpretation. They are not a record".

I think that's a nice way of explaining the reliabilty (or unreliabilty) of our perceptual memory.

Edited by It's Just A Ride
  • Like 1

I remember a similar game when I was a kid in the South Western US, I cant remember the Spanish words we chanted but we though we were "doing voodoo".

I agree over active imaginations of 8 year old kids at work

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

sorry sorry. but you are all missing my point here. if your telling me that i was just seeing things before because i was expecting something paranormal to happen, like the aparition of a hooded figure beside the lamp shade. that is not the case. i see those kinds of things sometimes even when im half asleep, and im not emphasazing it as a big deal. i am not convinced that those things are real. because it could all just be our own imagination.

all i wanted to know is how the piece of paper came out of the tissue paper. it was like it punched right through it but not making any holes.

at that time i didnt even stop after i saw the hooded figure. i let some days pass and tried doing it again. but this time i decided to change the tissue paper by a yellow paper. that way, the small piece of paper inside it cannot make it through. but it did make through. and again, the name Ann appeared.

i am very sorry for my english. i hope all of you can comprehend. if you still dont understand what i really mean, if you want me to demo the game, i could post a video about it.

thanks for some response.

• Like 1

sorry sorry. but you are all missing my point here. if your telling me that i was just seeing things before because i was expecting something paranormal to happen, like the aparition of a hooded figure beside the lamp shade. that is not the case. i see those kinds of things sometimes even when im half asleep, and im not emphasazing it as a big deal. i am not convinced that those things are real. because it could all just be our own imagination.

all i wanted to know is how the piece of paper came out of the tissue paper. it was like it punched right through it but not making any holes.

at that time i didnt even stop after i saw the hooded figure. i let some days pass and tried doing it again. but this time i decided to change the tissue paper by a yellow paper. that way, the small piece of paper inside it cannot make it through. but it did make through. and again, the name Ann appeared.

i am very sorry for my english. i hope all of you can comprehend. if you still dont understand what i really mean, if you want me to demo the game, i could post a video about it.

I think the demo might be good, as my first thought is its a simple slight of hand trick mixed with a bloody mary type game. I'll keep an eye out for you to post if you do a demo, Im very curious.

I think the demo might be good, as my first thought is its a simple slight of hand trick mixed with a bloody mary type game. I'll keep an eye out for you to post if you do a demo, Im very curious.

ok. i will post it on youtube and paste the link here. thank you!

• 4 years later...

I honestly have tried this. I'm also from the Philippines. I was 10 years old. before I moved here in America about 10 years ago, I met 2 older friends. it was at night when they were doing this " misa de momo" thing. I wondered and amazed. because there is no way for it to happen. like I've seen them fold it properly and unfolding the same way. I tried it. I even put 3 of my crushes. it worked. I even tried to put yes, no and maybe. it also worked. I guess it's like a predicting spell. my 2 older friends called it "Santo Mama." ever since then , weird things would happen to me.

One night, I was playing hide and seek with my cousins. I was it. I was looking for them all over the house. so I decided to go outside out backyard. I saw a girl with a long black hair wearing a white with black printed shirt and she was holding a cat. She was standing by the extension room's door. She turned around as if she was playing with us. I followed her, in the dark . I thought she was one of my cousins. But she disappeared. I got scared because right when I was following her I heard them laughing inside. I ran back and saw them in there. nobody was wearing long white printed shirt at all. Since then, I would always have sleep paralysis. Even now.

I don't know if it's a coincidence or what so ever.

But yes, I believe in that voodoo, Santo Mama.

I have been researching this. I thought I was the only one who knows abou this. this is a big help.

thanks!

p.s. I believe in God, almight Jesus Christ more :)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

i used to do this chant when I was in high school. You wont believe this until you experienced it yourself. I taught my older sister about this and the one that was written in the yellow paper is the name of her husband now. It is said that the name who came out of the tissue paper is the one destined for you. I'm just wondering where it originated.

• 1 month later...

i also know this game. where they said the name in the tissue that came out will be the one you'll end up with.

i never seen anything unusual like the one you said. but it REALLY does come out, from the inner fold to the outside.

it does really bothered about how it works.

note: we don't have same "ritual". instead of that above we say

mesa ni mama

mesa ni mimi

mesa ni momo

(3x)

Edited by CaunAKC

• 1 year later...

It's as if these things only happen in the Philippines. I was 12 when my yaya taught me how to do this, although the procedure was different, so was the chant. We said:
Mesa mama
Mesa momo
Kotsa kotse kotso (3x)

We also used 3 bond papers and just tore 3 pieces of paper from anything and the format didn't matter. We folded the bond paper from corner to corner and  put the smaller ones on the edge and folded it. If it worked, the paper should be inside the fold and not on the edge anymore. I didn't believe her at first either because it didn't happen when she was trying to show me and my friend until it happened to me and the both of them were still around. It didn't always work, but I've done it a lot and it did most of the time. Never have I seen ghostly figures. I moved to Belgium a couple of years ago and I've tried this here and it never worked. I've tried looking this up every once in a while for 4 years to know if I wasn't the only one that's done this before and this is the first time I actually found something. I'm glad I'm not the only one and this proves that this actually works. I can't explain it and I'm still freaked out by it. Maybe I should try it again when I visit the Philippines.

• 2 years later...

I've done the same. I never thought it was just a game. A friend told me how to do it. Only few words I chanted is different from others. I was 22 and pregnant to my first child. The name that popped out was my now husband and father of my children. I keep on searching where the words originated and what's the meaning of it, until then I saw this article after 10 years it was shared here. I was so tempted to do it again but I was scared.

• 2 months later...

I also experienced this when I was in highschool...

Mi sa ni mo mo
Mi sa ni ma ma
Mi sa ni mo mo
Mi sa ni ma ma
Ko pak ra 
Ko pak chow
Ko pa aa

I also cant explain how does the paper popup when I rollout the tissue... The tissue doesnt seem to have a hole or something... Thats why it was unexplainable for me...

Edited by JordanJay

On 3/31/2009 at 12:00 PM, o71v3r said:

Im from Philippuines. i experienced the unexplained when i was just around 8 y/o. i am now 21 y/o and still i cant explain how these works.

it was sort of a game before that some of the kids play. i have a cousin from manila who taught us something about a tissue paper and a yellow paper. we would put 3 different names each on 3 small pieces of yellow paper. the tissue papers would serve as a wrapping for each of the yellow papers. and then we recite the words which i didnt even know what it meant 3 times:

misa de momo

misa de mama

misa de mami

chopak chak

chopak chok

chopak rak

if we concentrate very hardly and really serious of what we are doing, the name of those 1 or 2 out of 3 person you wrote would literally pop out and means that that person likes you.

before, we would do it as a group of 3 or 4 but then i was so skeptic about all of it. i thought maybe it was altered. then i decided to go do it on my aunts room. the room was dimly lit, it was twilight. she had a lamp beside her bed. i sat at her floor, the bed and lamp at my back. i then recited those words 3 times and i was even closing my eyes. after that i opened the tissue papers and surprised that the name ANN popped out. i know ann liked me. i was trembling then because the dim lights gets much dimmer. i turned and saw a hooded figure, more shadowy like. his hands was perching on the lamp while standing between the bed and the lamp. i got so scared i run all the way to our house.

heres how to do it:

you need a yellow paper.

tissue paper.

pencil or pen

scissor

you write 1 unique name each on the 3 pieces of yellow paper. the yellow paper should be about 3cmx5cm.

then you curl it like a lumpia shanghai. then put it aside

next you will get 3 pieces of tissue. just the regular square size. then put 1 curled yellow paper in the center of 1 tissue. then you fold the tissue in a triangle making the yellow paper enveloped inside. then curl it again like a lumpia shanghai starting from the bottom part of the triangle.

when all three are done put them altogether like an asterisk and place it in your heart. then recite the words 3 times.

if your done, place all three of them separately.

unfold 1 of the 3 tissue. remember that the yellow paper was enveloped inside the folded tissue. if the person you wrote likes you, then his/her name would appear on the outside of the folded tissue paper. (imagine a clam with a pearl inside. if all works, it will be like the clam's pearl apear on top of it).

my cousin from manila said that it will be difficult at first and that none may pop out. you can try 2 or 3 times but never exceed on 3 because it is not acurate anymore.. he said that you can even make the 'name that pops out' go crazy on you. just simply put his/her name on your wallet or under your pillow every night.

im having trouble believing all these when i was the one who experienced it all. can someone explain to me how the name popped out.

Thanks for the interesting story.

Welcome to the forum.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 4/23/2009 at 1:18 AM, o71v3r said:

Saw things when you were half asleep? Theres your answer buddy.

Please be aware this is a 10 year old thread. The OP hasn't been active on this site since April 2009.

In view of this there's little point in keeping the thread open. - Closed.

• The topic was locked