Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cryptid.

Silver Etude

About a year ago; when returning from a friend's house at roughly 10:00 - 10:15 P.M.; I happened to glance back at the expansive fields/forests behind our houses. Imagine my surprise when I noticed something watching. It looked wolf-like; certainly canine.. but the odd bit is that this creature had bright (and I mean supernaturally bright) red eyes; and odd stub-like structures that appeared to me like folded down wings. I was not shining a light at it, so that could not be the cause of the red eyes; and the empty field and bright half-moon that night allowed me a very clear view of this creature. I have never heard of a cryptid like this before; and after extensive searches for anything similar; I have found no results. I've considered the possibility that this was a hellhound, but they are generally not reported to have wings. Any info or input on this would be appreciated.

• Like 1

what color was the body. I know that there is some animals that are claimed to be of the demon world. they are always black with red eyes.

there is a beast that walks on two legs and has horns, a huge bird of some kind I have wondered if it is not the mothman, a bull, and there are also supposed to be three dogs. and something else I don't remember what it is though. all of these are to be larger than normal animals their size and like I said black with glowing red eyes. perhaps it was one of these animals. I have known many people to have seen the beast and I my self have seen what I believe to be the bull and two of the three dogs.

I don't know really what they are used for but I know that a witch in our local area claims to have summoned the dogs for protection. and I will say the two dogs in her back yard are unlike any dog I have ever seen they are pitch black with glowing red eyes. I don't even know if the witch is still around as it has been years since I was down that way but it was a crazy thing to see these dogs.

You saw a winged-cat.

o the winged cat is actually an ordinary cat with physical deformity: extensions of the shoulder bone that appear as wings.

The creature you might have seen kinda resemble a description of a werewolf, except for the folded "wings" ,but the problem is, werewolves don't exist..

Aside from all the logical explanations, you said it was watching you, it could have been a demon playing tricks with you.

The thing is, if there were hybrids like that getting around, people would soon notice and investigate. I could easily conclude your just making this story up, but 'what if' you are in fact telling the truth? I could also say you were seeing things, it was dark your eyes were playing tricks on you.

But werewolves in both fiction and folklore don't have have wings, I don't think hell hounds do either. There have been some reports of the "Chupacabra" having bat-like wings, and glowing red eyes. However Chupacabra is only really a myth too. It also somewhat fits the description of the Mothman, which is also myth. Except you said it appeared canine-like.

Edited by Moon Minion

Sounds like a regular dog to me... The dark can create strange shapes and illusions and we can misinterpret something as being mysterious when it's nothing more than the mundane or our own imagination. Sometimes the light that's reflected from a dog's eyes will appear orange or reddish in nature.

I agree with Ebony, sounds pretty regular to me.

How bright is supernaturally bright? Were the eyes actually glowing? Was their a light source close to you or the creature to cause a reflection? How far away were you from the creature, and how far away from the woods was it, or was it IN the woods?

"It also somewhat fits the description of the Mothman, which is also myth. Except you said it appeared canine-like."

That is correct. It was most definitely canine.

"Sounds like a regular dog to me... The dark can create strange shapes and illusions and we can misinterpret something as being mysterious when it's nothing more than the mundane or our own imagination. Sometimes the light that's reflected from a dog's eyes will appear orange or reddish in nature."

I can also assure you it was definitely not a normal dog. I neglected to describe the size before; but it was roughly wolf/coyote-sized. I suppose a large doberman or husky could look the same; but that does not explain the other features of the animal. It was dark; yes; but as I pointed out; the clear field and bright half moon allowed me to get a very good look at the creature. I believe I also pointed out that I was not shining a light at it, debunking the reflection hypothesis.

"How bright is supernaturally bright? Were the eyes actually glowing? Was their a light source close to you or the creature to cause a reflection? How far away were you from the creature, and how far away from the woods was it, or was it IN the woods?"

I would say they were glowing; but I cannot be completely certain about that. There were no light sources to cause a reflection. I was about... 50-60 Feet from the creature when I saw it. The woods are next to the field; and it was about 30 feet from the woods.

I would like to put down any claims that I may be making this up; but that would be extremely hard to do without concrete proof. I can give you my word that I am; without a doubt; not fabricating this in any way, shape, or form. Anyone who knows me well enough knows I am not one to go back on my word.

I can also assure you it was definitely not a normal dog. I neglected to describe the size before; but it was roughly wolf/coyote-sized. I suppose a large doberman or husky could look the same; but that does not explain the other features of the animal. It was dark; yes; but as I pointed out; the clear field and bright half moon allowed me to get a very good look at the creature. I believe I also pointed out that I was not shining a light at it, debunking the reflection hypothesis.

I would say they were glowing; but I cannot be completely certain about that. There were no light sources to cause a reflection. I was about... 50-60 Feet from the creature when I saw it. The woods are next to the field; and it was about 30 feet from the woods.

Well, coyote/wolf size is not an abnormal size for a regular dog... Coyotes are actually quite small in comparison. The wolf is the largest wild canine, but pales in comparison to several domestic breeds. So, horrible comparison if you\'re intending to make it sound large. It\'s the size of a regular dog, in other words.

An abnormally large canine:

http://www.windhundwelt.de/images/!...lfhound-095.jpg

The Irish wolfhound.

Regardless of whether or not you were shining light at it, the moon serves as a decent enough light source that it would cause reflection. You say there was moonlight enough to see the creature, but no light source to create a reflection... that makes no sense. You either have light or you have none at all, and any amount of light is enough to create a glare from the eyes of any nocturnal creature due to the make of their eyes. :/ Their eyes are made to capture all possible light, so even in a minimal light environment you will still notice a reflection. Their eyes are made to trap light.

Edited by Ebonykrow

You saw a winged-cat.

Winged Cats.... If my cat ("Mothra") ever sprouts wings and learns to fly, I am moving and leaving her behind because thumbs won't be far behind. And when she get's thumbs, my days are numbered!

Winged Cats.... If my cat ("Mothra") ever sprouts wings and learns to fly, I am moving and leaving her behind because thumbs won't be far behind. And when she get's thumbs, my days are numbered!

This applies to all humankind. OH NOES.

Regardless of whether or not you were shining light at it, the moon serves as a decent enough light source that it would cause reflection. You say there was moonlight enough to see the creature, but no light source to create a reflection... that makes no sense. You either have light or you have none at all, and any amount of light is enough to create a glare from the eyes of any nocturnal creature due to the make of their eyes. :/ Their eyes are made to capture all possible light, so even in a minimal light environment you will still notice a reflection. Their eyes are made to trap light.

The moon was behind the creature. How exactly is it going to reflect light into the eyes if the creature was not looking in the direction of the moon?

The light doesn't have to be directly in the animal's eyes, as long as there is light to reflect. As I was saying, their eyes--unlike ours--are made to capture light to reflect back into their eyes to help them see. Some of this light escapes, which causes the "glow" we see--it is NOT the reflection of the light source, it is the reflection of the light inside their eyes.

An abnormally large canine:

http://www.windhundwelt.de/images/!...lfhound-095.jpg

The Irish wolfhound.

*snipped to quote picture*

Whoa that is a big dog, the size of a small horse, a child could ride that...

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Saw it again today down by the river across from my house. This time in broad daylight. I don't think it was aware of me; but if it was; it did not indicate it was. I suppose it helped the wind was blowing towards me; and luckily for me, there weren't any leaves or gravel to make noisy steps. o-o; I was about... 25-30 feet from it; and behind it; so I got a much better view. The "folded wing-like" structures I noted before aren't wings at all; but some sort of strange plating. Could be a bone deformation, but skin and fur would likely have covered it by now if it was. They look almost like stegosaurus plates, but smaller and more rounded. I noticed a strange, almost greenish tint to the fur, but this may have been a trick of the light. The tail also looks deformed, and had small lumps all over it that may have been smaller plates. The creature was drinking from the river for a few minutes, then strode off back up towards the field and forest.

The only plausible, non-cryptid explanation I have for this is that the thing is a wolf that has an EXTREMELY deformed skeletal structure; but I seriously doubt this after having seen the thing. I will start bringing my camera with me outside; and will attempt to get a picture of it if I see it again.

For now; any speculation on this new information? Anyone have info on an animal that matches the description?

Why would it have to be a wolf, and not just a horribly matted and neglected stray dog?

Where do you live, btw? The green bit reminds me of the cu sith. :lol:

The Catskill Mountains in New York. The river in question is either the Delaware itself; or one if its tributaries. Forgive me, Catskill geography is not my strongest area of expertise.

:huh: Does it move? Are you sure it's not a statue? A clever trick someone is playing, they just set up this thing where they reckon it'll be seen? Can you go back and look for it? See if you can get a picture...or do a drawing, it would be easier to come up with suggestions if we could get a basic idea of it's appearance...

I also think a drawing is in order. xD

A plaster cast of any tracks left too would be helpful for identifying.

If was near a river, ground might be soft to find imprints.

Any fur / hair caught in bushes etc.

* Had you thought of notifying Forestry / Wildlife officials?

If was sick / diseased animal, be good to remove any threats to humans / wildlife.

Edited by Owlscrying

Sounds like a feral dog to me. Maybe it had a bad case of mange.

Mange would make it lose hair, not clump it together in unsightly globs. :P I agree it's just a feral dog, but the description sounds odd, so I'd like a better image of what's being described.