Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Quantum setback for warp drives

UM-Bot

warp.jpg
A new study in to the possibility of a real life warp drive has concluded that travelling faster than light is impossible due to the instability inherent in achieving superluminal speeds.

"Bad news I'm afraid -- it looks as if faster-than-light travel isn't possible after all. That's the conclusion of a new study into how warp drives would behave when quantum mechanics is taken into account. "Warp drives would become rapidly unstable once superluminal speeds are reached," say Stefano Finazzi at the International School for Advanced Studies in Trieste, Italy, and a couple of friends."

arrow3.gifView: Full Article | arrow3.gifSource: Technology Review

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IamsSon

• Ghost Ship

• UM-Bot

• Leonardo

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a shame , looks like wormhole theory best work out!

ME

Well as they say NEVER GIVE UP, Im sure they will be working on this until all avenues are exausted,

would there not be away to send something out first like to act as a anchoring point so that a ship would be able to lock onto it and then fly at faster than light speed and do short jumps. Would faster than light travel be fine if it was only for a brief spurt of speed or distance.

well dooh, what about COMPENSATING for that...

Build a warp drive that teleports the spaceship to another dimension where the speed of light has a higher limit (as compared to this dimension), power engines to the speed of light, then activate warp drive to transport ship back to this dimension, and you would have travelled faster than the speed of light.

This dimension: ---(warp)----------------> Light Speed Max-------------(return warp)----> ship

Alternate dimension: |---------------------------------------> Light Speed max--|

Everything is impossible...until someone figures it out.

I guess we're stuck waiting for Sephram Cochrane to be born and solve this pesky issue.

Eureka ;)

I believe that artificial superluminality is possible. Issac Asimov had it in one of his stories. It's when you go the speed of light and then faster only because of an artificial environment of space time fabric created by the spacecrafts engines. An aurora of energy that enables the warp drives capabilities and maintains stability.

If i find the story i reffered to i will post parts of it to show what it say's. I believe that Asimov already predicted this.

Edited by Ghost Ship

Everything is impossible...until someone figures it out.

...exactly, always amazes me how anyone can "CONCLUDED" anything can't be done with any type of certainty still...in todays day and age, bewilders the mind indeed. "Quantum setback for warp drives"= we just aren't clever enough to find a way...

I haven't found what i was looking for but Asimov had other engines in other stories as well.

Asimov, Isaac. Nemesis. The superluminal drive negates the

effect of inertia allowing many multiples of the speed of

light. The drive is totally computer controlled and the

vessel remains in realspace throughout the entire trip. The

secret of superluminal travel is that the speed of light is

treated as Ground Zero. Above the speed of light, gravity

repels objects rather than attracting them. An early ver-

sion of this drive, a 'stutter' drive, used this principle,

but only for very short times and for very short distances.

And i found this as well. Science fiction, yes, but it gives interesting ideas for the possibilities of light speed and beyond.

Blish, James. Cities In Flight series; Okie stories: They Shall

Have Stars. Travel is performed using a 'spindizzy' drive,

more properly known as the Dillon-Waggoner Gravitron Polar-

ity Generator, which operates on a little known law of phy-

sics. The speed obtained is proportional to the mass ( i.e.

larger mass, larger speed ). Cities and planets were there-

fore hooked up to this drive.

Edited by Ghost Ship

Remember the instability of airplanes that broke the sound barrier? They figured that out so I'm sure this will eventually come to fruition as well. As for worm holes or bending the fabric of space/time, we're not even sure that exists.

I guess we're stuck waiting for Sephram Cochrane to be born and solve this pesky issue.

I'm quite ashamed to have gotten that reference....oh boy

Well as they say NEVER GIVE UP, Im sure they will be working on this until all avenues are exausted,

exactly !! most thought Hawkins was right about black holes until he admitted he was wrong ...... after all that time. Science changes with new information ....... it continues to grow !! there is no such thing as exhausted I think. we can't perceive all avenues at the moment. How many thought it impossible to go to the moon ?

Did anybody read the comments?

Moreover, did anybody read the comments and think "what a bunch of losers?"

It's OK, come on let go of the edge, it's fun over here on the deep side of the pool, come on.

I got the reference as well, despite the misspelling of Zefram Cochrane's name. ;)

Come on, Iams - being a Trekkie means pedantic adherence to the "Truth according to Star Trek". Pull your socks up! :P:lol:

Maybe they should let that robot Adam work on the problem of warp drives...maybe it'll figure it out!