Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Blair Witch Legend not totally fake?

Mothmen

The Blair Witch 'History' was cleverly made but it is a complete myth

There was a book that came out that I picked up at a local book shop which has a lot of info. I don't have it with me now but I'll try to skim through it once I get home but from what I understand, it is entirely fiction yet told as though it was real. Speaking of which, did they ever settle which came out first? The Blair Witch Project or The Last Broadcast? I know there was some speculation and disputes on those 2 films.

The OP is aware that the movie and videogames associated with it were launched with an ad campaign that included a whole slew of fake websites that fleshed out the backstory, isn't he?

There's got to be laws made about this. But fat chance, as the information age created by the Internet is now a marketing tool.

• 1 month later...

IM KINDA A FAN OF THE BLAIR WITCH EVEN THO ITS FAKE...I HAVE IT ON DVD AND EVERYTHING I WAS READING MATCHED UP TO A DOCUMENTED EXTRA ON THE DVD THATS "SUPPOSIDLY TRUE" CALLED "The Curse Of The Blair Witch" ITS A BACK STORY ON THE BLAIR WITCH BUT ITS FAKE =/ THERE IS NO BURRKITS VILLE OR WHATEVER, SO THE MOVIE & DOCUMENTRY IS 100% FAKE BUT THE INSPIRATION FOR THE MOVIE WAS THE BELL WITCH AND SO I GUESS THEY BASED THE MOVIE ON FROM THERE.

Thanks for the correction! I have searched on Google Map the area in WV for any references with the name "Blair". Nothing have found, only a road called Blair. See the map

Has this place anything to do with the Blair Wich Legend? :rolleyes:

There's no "Blair Witch." And the story (the movie) takes place in southern Maryland.

Edited by Princess Serenity

This is all made up, They did the same thing when they said that the Texas chainsaw massacre movie was based on a true story, their base was ED Gein but Ed had nothing in common with the chainsaw massacre except the human skin mask, but he only made these mask, never wore them, he had more in common with Buffalo Bill from silence of the lamb.

This is all made up, They did the same thing when they said that the Texas chainsaw massacre movie was based on a true story, their base was ED Gein but Ed had nothing in common with the chainsaw massacre except the human skin mask, but he only made these mask, never wore them, he had more in common with Buffalo Bill from silence of the lamb.

Actually Ed Gein did wear human skin, including a woman's breasts. He made lamps out of bones and a spinal cord, and such contraptions are seen in TCM. Gein inspired Leatherface, Buffalo Bill and Norman Bates.

Buffalo Bill was also based on Ted Bundy.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

The Blair Witch Project was influenced by/based on (the most loosely, mind) the legend of the Bell Witch. Really, there aren't any similarities between the two stories save for a ghost.

The Bell Witch is the supposedly real story of the Bell family in the 1800s. The spirit, called "Kate," was a poltergeist that terrorized the family, particularly the youngest daughter Betsy. The movie An American haunting is legitimately based on the story of the Bell Witch - how accurate the activity in the movie is compared to the actual reports, I don't know, but An American Haunting is an actual portrayal of the legend of the Bell Witch, whereas The Blair Witch Project has a similar sounding name to the legend and that's where the similarities end. No missing search parties, no disembowling, no floating lady with no feet, no nothing.

That being said, I love The Blair Witch Project. It's just in no way true is all :yes:

Also, this. Ed Gein inspired Buffalo Bill (The Silence of the Lambs), Norman Bates (Psycho), and Leatherface (The Texas Chainsaw Massacre), but in three very different ways. Buffalo Bill represents Gein's gender identity - he wanted to be a woman, and he actually did make a "woman suite" from the skins of recently deceased women. Norman Bates represents Gein's issues pertaining to his mother - she was a very domineering woman, and he became overly dependent on her. Bates' infamous quote "a boy's best friend is his mother" is actually a very accurate description of Gein's relationship with his mother. It was after she died that he began graverobbing and eventually murdering. Leatherface represents what Gein did with the bodies he acquired - masks made from faces (which, you're right, Damian Bathory, he never wore, but instead he used them as wall decorations) lampshades made of skin, furniture made of bones, bowls made of the tops of skulls, etc.

Edited by Madam9

QUOTE (JamieSymptom @ Apr 7 2009, 08:28 AM)

I think you just described these video games:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blair_Wit..._1:_Rustin_Parr

The whole Blair Witch Project franchise is notable for its use of elaborate viral marketing to add plausibility to it's back story - fake websites, fake documentaries etc

Sadly thats becoming more and more popular with movies these days. "Based on a true story!" usually means based on a made up story that we will make seem real by spreading a ton of b.s on the news and internet and creating fake documents to back it up. Its a real shame because all it does is hurt any kind of investigation in to incidents that might have a grain of truth to them.

Yeah whatever happened to the good old days of Jason Voorhees, and such. Now we have all these found footage b.s.

• 1 month later...

I don't believe in it but can anybody explain how and why the three hikers disappeared? and why it took a year to find their footage?

i grew up near burkitsville md. i drove threw there everyday. i believe in the blair witch. my family used to tell us storys about elly aka the blair witch. when she was banished from the town of blair, the towns men took her in to the wood and tied her to a tree, to die. the children from the town would go into the wood to the tree and poke her with sticks and through rocks at her, so she cursed the town and those children who taunted her. i have only ever been to the church in the woods. they have it all boraded up. teenagers like going there and going in. i cant lie i did it as a teenager too. u go in fine and leave with scratches all over you. the hill where the church is located is called spook hill which is haunted. if you put baby powder on the hood of the car you will see the witches hand print. everyone always seem tk have car trouble on that hill

the hiker story isnt true and there isnt a house its a church

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

one of the best strategically orchestrated box office flicks ever made. Also one of the most propheted.

Here's why,

Back in midst to late 90s before many had internet let alone comps en masse.

I was going to school in Baltimore MD. I forget exactly when, but on campus here and there i recall hearing some late night stories one was regarding some kids who went missing and something about a witch which was more like a murderer. The supposedly factual stories suspense was definitely gripping people.

It came up here and there, usually on long drives at night on the highways , in camping parties which most of the kids had homes near the woods and at night there yards were really small forests so the story popped up a lot when the parties died down around 2, 3 am and it was eerie anyway.

So the rumors persisted , they died down , persisted, then I forget around what point but all of a sudden the ghostish legend turned into a bizarre account that indeed had happened . 3 kids definitely were missing and it was accepted by authority and everyone else so naturally I was like oh wow , and began asking more questions than the next person.

AND THEN all of a sudden there was rumour out that their video camcorder was found and it had video,....everywhere from murder to a ghost to the blair which on it and ..

The footage was passed out via vhs copy all over the place but it took awhile not everyone saw it but every 20th kid you came across was like "omg its the craziest **** ,, you gotta see It etc etc"

Even tho noone really claimed to know any of these kids who went missing we just assumed they were from out of town or nearby west Virginia or whereever it didn't matter.

I never saw the footage which apparently was grainy as hell and just showed a blip of an eerie scene which showed someone clearly screaming in a struggle implicating certain foul play which was fueling attention.

A few months later it was on on tv that they were releasing it to the public in theatres and that was something never before done. The idea of someones actual bizaare possibly last surviving minutes , personal camcorder footage found in the woods was the bait. Everyone ran to see it.

It was believable as hell and it Had all the right amount of suggestive criteria along with spook and mystery and it was sold. Literally.

Theres no way this can be done the same ever again. Today the internet is on top of everything everywhere and will call out any false records emitting the true story . That was not possible at the time so it worked beautifully.

Well when it was soon found out to be all made up i was p***ed! Everyone was angry. Lol

Every single thing was planned. The initial rumours thrown out there which in title was linked to other old legends being blair witch folk crap which varied, to the staged vhs footage passed out complete with just the right amount of believable obscurity,.all. of which was built up for the best advertising tactic in movie history. Not to mention the cheapest.

It was absolutely brilliant.

It was the best calculated b.s. story which made a fortune.

Then they p***ed it away with making a sequel, even after everyone knew it was bull ****. What the hell were they thinking?. That is the real mystery

Edited by Sheep Smart
  • Like 1

when I was younger me and my family were watching tv I think it was unexplained mysteries. well this story came on about 3 people going missing in the woods.... they showed two guys and one chick. and they were all dressed like the kids from the blair witch movie. it even said if you see any of them to call this one number and it showed a number, they said they had gone missing in the woods and only found a part of there footage. so maybe something like this did happen but it was in another town. I was like 10 when I saw this. that's why when the movie came out I thought they had found the rest of the footage.

• 9 months later...

No town called Blair ever existed in Maryland.

Actually Pol_Pot, being a member of the states near Burkitsville, you are wrong. Blair was an actual village around the 1700's that was almost in the middle of nowhere. If you would kindly google some of the maps from back then, you will see it higher in the mountains and see that it is just a couple hours upstream from the Cumberland area.
  • Like 1

My state will forever be known for this movie.

• 1 month later...

The Blair Witch Project was developed during 1994[5] by the filmmakers. The script began with a 68-page outline, with the dialogue to be improvised.[5] Accordingly, the directors advertised in Back Stage magazine for actors with strong improvisational abilities.[6] There was a very informal improvisational audition process to narrow the pool of 2,000 actors.[7][8] In developing the mythology behind the movie, the filmmakers used many inspirations. Several character names are near-anagrams; Elly Kedward (The Blair Witch) isEdward Kelley, a 16th-century mystic. Rustin Parr, the fictional 1940s child-murderer, began as an anagram for Rasputin.[9] In talks with investors, they presented an eight-minute documentary along with newspapers and news footage.[10] This documentary, originally called The Blair Witch Project: The Story of Black Hills Disappearances was produced by Haxan Films.

• 1 year later...

HM, why do I keep thinking the Blair Witch was a compound word formed by olden folk to give a title to people speaking about superstitions. It's like telling stories to acquire thrill and fear. That's technically the definition of blair witch: to speak of evil; to call upon it. This is why you leave chemistry and dangerous things to the professionals these days, because you don't want to ever swallow something the body is not going to tolerate. So when your parents told you "they tied her up to a tree," they meant the superstitions and people getting into witch craft without Jesus. By leaving "her in the woods," they simulate not talking or yielding to anything possessive by the wilderness. It reflects negativity within the construction and society of the town. However, being Christian is becoming more of a greencard for acceptance these days. I can be a loner, acting strange, but now I have people wearing crosses and sticking their asses towards me all the time. I wasn't trying to BE THAT. Do you reckon with that context: THAT. THE VERY INSTANCE I would use ALL CAPS describes the BRUTAL ******* pain PPL bring just because of their superstitions. By my very most educated and wise and righteous well-being, I ASSURE TO YOU ALLLLLLLLLL that the Blair Witch (by the definition of the spirit possessing ghost-telling, malicious gossip, etc.), MAY ALSO exist within Christianity.

... Tell "them" that. -Constantine lol I just wanted to be theatrical and have exciting talents to excite people and families when I'm older -- TO HAVE IT READY NOWeh so I won't be spending my OLD-**** time trying to remember **** for a bunch of little ****s and parents who failed to save a spirit like mine. Instead, I just had a demon ^_^ and no, I kind of don't believe in heaven or hell, which sucks, because I would love to know the real truth, which actually tends to be always worse: some "Christians" are going to hell, but will see it as heaven.

Vanity is the devil's favorite sin, or so he says it. SO WE'RE BORN IN SIN, huh Xians? So (like a cop or as a cop interrogating).... DOES THAT MEAN *nods* you are allowed to sin? Sure, we all know sins are deadly, but don't you love it so much when you... gossip with your friends, make bets, or lust for people who hate you? If Xians want to believe in fornication, they should yield to that belief 100% so they don't **** up a great entrepreneur-like minds as I have.

To digress on to Rustin Parr, it's a shame he allowed himself to be an idiot. Please give some thought before you respond, as I am nearly an unemployed criminal justice lawyer. It's just that people knew he was abused, but neither they or he realized that he, himself, saw himself as the one who was abused from the third-person. It's simply a trait everyone uses along with the complex human mind, esp. for someone who was acquitted by scrutiny for being hurt so badly. If you put me in his filter, you might notice I'm quite different and aware, if Jesus could show you (assuming people just come up with the worst explanations). So what I'm saying is that long-haired ghost of a woman who came to him was part of his psyche; how he sees himself: he knew he was reclusive, his parents died, he had a completely legitimate "green card" for acceptance from people. Only that such a "green card" reputation people sometimes get the luxury of keeping isn't worth the certification Rustin had. He built a mu****** basement without enough education, or compromise, to learn how to use it. Even if Jesus was guilty of homosex, at least believing him is one thing to do before a man has seen it all. Rustin couldn't do that for probably several common reasons why atheists exists: association with hypocritical Christians who respond with vain assumptions of his enemy. Poor dumb Rustin Parr (in utter sorrow for all his losses and consideration of the meanings dumb and poor), he took his own conscience as his final answer to life.

Next in line is myself, but I was a man who could succeed a safe Jurassic Park, not world: prepared to contest myself, and here I am on the run from digital "demon-hunters" or whoever, who seek to rid me of my abilities using techniques and temptation... Even those who call themselves Christians use such as what would be considered witchcraft centuries ago. FREAK#1 is a good title for a witch, enemy, nemesis, or other words that depict a contemptible person, merely that meaning without any further explanation.

• 1 month later...

What i had found very odd is that there is a statue of Baphomet in the woods close to that area ... i thought that was very scary . İ lived in maryland landover ,close to the woods , i hated to walk my dog, it was always very creepy there ...

• 1 month later...

I think some parts of the story to be true.

The movie was not real however. But it was a pretty good movie

for what it was.

• 1 month later...