Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Mothmen

The Blair Witch Legend not totally fake?

83 posts in this topic

ploppy

I think it goes to show just how effective the film was in still to this day, making people wonder about whether it was even based off possibly true events.

GlitterRose

Thanks for your comments!

I kinda suspected everything was fake, but the story behind the Blair Witch movie goes very deep and was very well done! I think not many directors would create such a myth behind their story nowadays, since these days its (mostly) all about the moneymaking.

They create them all the time. Docufiction or mockumentary is its own genre.

And no matter how much you try to explain that there was no mermaid body found or that there were no people abducted by aliens or that megalodon was not filmed eating a boat...people still believe...because they want to.

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 1

Kurzweil

I want to take a moment to applaud myself for not shilling out a single penny to watch this movie.

I know, it made tons of money, but I have satisfaction knowing it didn't come from my pocket.

• Like 1

ploppy

When the film came out it would have been an enjoyable experience for people as well as nothing before had really had the vibe of this, especially in terms of going to a cinema to see it so I in a way people who paid for a ticket back then would have gotten a little bit more for their money. It's not a terrible film, it just doesn't have much rewatchability these days.

• Like 1

shoeprano27

great read. thanks for the post. whether the urban legend was fake or not, when the movie came out, it scared the wits out of me! coudnt sleep for days....

Columbo

QUOTE (JamieSymptom @ Apr 7 2009, 08:28 AM)

I think you just described these video games:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blair_Wit..._1:_Rustin_Parr

The whole Blair Witch Project franchise is notable for its use of elaborate viral marketing to add plausibility to it's back story - fake websites, fake documentaries etc

Sadly thats becoming more and more popular with movies these days. "Based on a true story!" usually means based on a made up story that we will make seem real by spreading a ton of b.s on the news and internet and creating fake documents to back it up. Its a real shame because all it does is hurt any kind of investigation in to incidents that might have a grain of truth to them.

But how do you know the information behind this story is BS?

Columbo

If the information on that court case is correct, then I would definitely say that Kyle Brody is the guilty party. He may even have been the one who did the actual killings himself. Again, I am saying if this information is correct.

EEHC

But how do you know the information behind this story is BS?

Remember that this was posted in 2009. You probably won't get any response.