Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

2012 Apocalypse and Solar Storm (merged)

Ashyne

Who exactly "predicted" an apocalypse for 2012? A calendar ending ain't exactly a prediction.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• greggK

• The Worlds Wolf

• Emma_Acid

• jaylemurph

3. The Aztec calender had no prophecy's about this.

Probably because its the Mayan calender that ends in 2012.

Heh, yeah, I remember this one, it's in Nicolas Cage's newest movie, Knowing. Only it doesn't happen exactly on 2012, but then again they didn't exactly give a date for the flare. In the end, the Rapture isn't of the faithful masses of *Snip* Christians, but a crap load of children. Which would make more sense, since children have a vast scape of understanding, will not at first, but they do, so the movie ends with earth being burned to a crisp, the children leaving, and Cage's character finally knowing, persay.

EA

hahahahaha...i was thinking of this movie reading this thread, the OP should of put "Knowing" spoiler in the title

It had to be ruined, it's a great movie, but should of been watched at the movies, and ignored during the release to dvd, as all would and should do so. Yes the theatres worldwide got gay, with the whole rent a seat for two hours idea, but lets remember folks at least if we watch them in the theatres, we won't have to go to the movie rentals to get it for an antagonizing day or two. GO TO THE MOVIES AND WATCH, just don't rent it, that whole rent dvd's thing is a scam of all arts and forms.

EA

this movie was far from great...honestly it was real good till the very end, it ruined the whole movie completely...its like taking a hot chick out to dinner and back at the house you and her have a drink and things get hot and then she tells you she has her period, great night but ruined right when the best part was suppose to happen

Probably because its the Mayan calender that ends in 2012.

Doesn't matter who it was. The fact of the matter is, we wiped both of them out before they could finish. It doesn't mean anything, not even to them.

i know this sounds crazy but i hope something like this happens to break all boundaries to either proove new things or disaproove old things or prooove old things too idk why i wish this its evil i know but i just find it interesting somewhat like the zombie apocolypse.

theres another thing no one has concidered that the holdon proton excelerator colllider is going to be repaired three years from now(due to a hydrogen leak) .. which is 2012 and you know the whole idea of a black hole or some anti matter(though thats the movie) and its the year i turn 21 damn =\. im glad i met the girl of my life before this XD. also theres the polar shifts which would be interesting less harm than a black hole though i do think some if not most of our machinery that reliase on magnetic fields would be disabled and crash.

just some ideas mostly wanted to point out the collider cuz i fount that VERY interesting wshen i rechecked up on how that project was doing.. so yeah btw im very sorry for some very crappy typing my computer is lagging like a crazy sucka and i cant see what im typing though its being typed XD

i know this sounds crazy but i hope something like this happens to break all boundaries to either proove new things or disaproove old things or prooove old things too idk why i wish this its evil i know but i just find it interesting somewhat like the zombie apocolypse.

There's a spell checking function in firefox. It's ace.

theres another thing no one has concidered that the holdon proton excelerator colllider is going to be repaired three years from now(due to a hydrogen leak) .. which is 2012

No ones considered it because its wrong. The Large Hadron Collider should be functional again by the end of 2009.

you know the whole idea of a black hole or some anti matter(though thats the movie)

Black holes' gravitational effects work through their enormous mass. There is nothing intrinsic in a black hole that just "destroys stuff". A black hole created in the LHC would be tiny, therefore have very little mass, and will evaporate within a second.

its the year i turn 21 damn =\. im glad i met the girl of my life before this XD.

Already 21?

also theres the polar shifts which would be interesting less harm than a black hole though i do think some if not most of our machinery that reliase on magnetic fields would be disabled and crash.

If I were you I'd stop getting my education from the internet. A polar shift takes thousands of years to complete.

so yeah btw im very sorry for some very crappy typing my computer is lagging like a crazy sucka and i cant see what im typing though its being typed XD

That's ok.

Actually and what I think he means about the polar shift is and correct me if im wrong, we've been dumping waste onto and into the environment and into our ozone layer for...god a long time now? Polar shifts do take that long your correct but considering the time line we're on right now, it wouldn't be an overstatement or a leap of any sort to see a shift in polarity. we've been destroying the planet for thousands of years.. we're due for a shift...I just think that's what he meant.

Actually and what I think he means about the polar shift is and correct me if im wrong, we've been dumping waste onto and into the environment and into our ozone layer for...god a long time now? Polar shifts do take that long your correct but considering the time line we're on right now, it wouldn't be an overstatement or a leap of any sort to see a shift in polarity. we've been destroying the planet for thousands of years.. we're due for a shift...I just think that's what he meant.

Those are two absolutely unrelated subjects. Yes we're polluting the environment, and yes the geomagnetic field is weakening, with a project collapse and reversal between the years 3000-4000 AD.

I still don't see what your point is? These two things have nothing to do with each other.

Those are two absolutely unrelated subjects. Yes we're polluting the environment, and yes the geomagnetic field is weakening, with a project collapse and reversal between the years 3000-4000 AD.

I still don't see what your point is? These two things have nothing to do with each other.

lol, I was going to say that but I'm gonna stay out of this one. ;)

hmm no.. i do believe they said three years let me check!

ah darn =\ i have no freaking idea where i seen the three year thing i read the same article. i must of been really freaking tired. i will continue reading that till i find where i made my mistake lol.

yes i realize that its hard to see my typos when i cant see what im typing sorry if that disappointed you. plus i dont have fire fox for my windows partition but i do have Ubuntu intrep 8.10 that does which is what i am now on.

even if it only created a small part of anti matter "strangelets" what if more were made or exploded. ive also heard (remember heard though i do not have concreat evidence) that a black hole is somewhat like another dimension small or not. though protons are simple today in atoms though weve talked about splitting atoms.. look how that ended. explosion of chemical reaction. i still dont think we have a real! concreate evidence as to what happens when we do finally fire both beams. though if succeceful science history would be changed even if that small particle is created. real anti matter would be very interesting since there are hardly none we have seen. ima end it there cause this is about 2012 and solar problems not LHC. i just pointed an idea.

oh AND i do believe i didnt say the polar shift was true. so yeah getting my education from a variety of people is better than getting it from one deluded person lol so yeah. and EVEN if the polar shifts do take thousands and thousands of years to take place how do we know when the last one happened. or the one before that one. so yeah.

even if it only created a small part of anti matter "strangelets" what if more were made or exploded.

Strange matter is just a hypothesis, and would need to be created (if this is even actually possible) to have a certain sized surface area to make it stable. Also, it doesn't "explode", it (hypothetically) turns normal matter into strange matter on contact.

The LHC is actually very unlikely to create strange matter, the RHIC in New York is a much more likely candidate. It has been operating for almost 10 years. If strangelets were going to engulf the earth, it would have happened by now.

ima end it there cause this is about 2012 and solar problems not LHC. i just pointed an idea.

Well, there are no "solar problems". And the LHC, as you might be realising, has nothing to do with 2012. Nothing has anything to do with 2012. You need to stop reading apocalyptic hype on the internet and maybe subscribe to some journals if you're this interested!

oh AND i do believe i didnt say the polar shift was true. so yeah getting my education from a variety of people is better than getting it from one deluded person lol so yeah. and EVEN if the polar shifts do take thousands and thousands of years to take place how do we know when the last one happened. or the one before that one. so yeah.

Actually the pole shift part was the bit you got right. It does happen, and we don't know what effects it might have on life.

We know they have happened before because layered mud on the sea bed shows magnetic charge going in different ways at different times in history.

technically the polar shifts really wouldnt effect the life of humans if we re calibrate some of our machines fast enough. other than that birds might fly in a diff direction that would be it. actually we do have a few solar problems such as solar flares but there has been manythings said about that. such as the suns solar flares are dying or getting stronger. ok so it wouldnt explode it would implode. still it would be the balance of matter. still interesting.

technically the polar shifts really wouldnt effect the life of humans if we re calibrate some of our machines fast enough. other than that birds might fly in a diff direction that would be it. actually we do have a few solar problems such as solar flares but there has been manythings said about that. such as the suns solar flares are dying or getting stronger. ok so it wouldnt explode it would implode. still it would be the balance of matter. still interesting.

There is little firm evidence about how long a polar shift is likely to take. I think the speculation is a few years. It is true to say that the magnetic field has been diminishing recently and that seems a precursor for the polar shift which maybe due about now.

However to say that it will have little effect is untrue. The magnetic field will be largely absent as the poles realign. This is significant because the magnetic field is what protects us from cosmic radiation. Take away the magnetic field and inevitably large parts of the biosphere will suffer and possably die through contracting cancers. So the polar shift is not something I would anticipate with enthusiasm.

Br Cornelius

if its ment to happen its ment to happen. i guess im optimistic i guess. even though it makes me look crazy. though you do put a good point about the magnetic field being gone.. but will it be gone or just switch?

The way I see it... this is the most logical and likely option. I don't mind...I know how to live off the land and survive

I wait excitedly for those plasma balls to hit.

I would be more worried about the millions of others that don't and will want to kill you for your belongings....

well then he will just have to fight back. it will be no different than today really. fight for servival only in the truest form. but idk. i believe we would be like african tribes really. those who are close will create groups and survive with each others group. like the wolves hunt with their pack and defend their territory. may be only a concept but it does make sence. now a zombie appocolyps is a different story XD

There is little firm evidence about how long a polar shift is likely to take. I think the speculation is a few years. It is true to say that the magnetic field has been diminishing recently and that seems a precursor for the polar shift which maybe due about now.

However to say that it will have little effect is untrue. The magnetic field will be largely absent as the poles realign. This is significant because the magnetic field is what protects us from cosmic radiation. Take away the magnetic field and inevitably large parts of the biosphere will suffer and possably die through contracting cancers. So the polar shift is not something I would anticipate with enthusiasm.

Br Cornelius

At present, the overall geomagnetic field is becoming weaker at a rate which would, if it continues, cause the dipole field to temporarily collapse by 3000–4000 CE.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geomagnetic_r...e_present_field

Because the magnetic field has never been observed to reverse by humans with instrumentation, and the mechanism of field generation is not well understood, it is difficult to say what the characteristics of the magnetic field might be leading up to such a reversal. Some speculate that a greatly diminished magnetic field during a reversal period will expose the surface of the earth to a substantial and potentially damaging increase in cosmic radiation. However, Homo erectus and their ancestors certainly survived many previous reversals. There is no uncontested evidence that a magnetic field reversal has ever caused any biological extinctions. A possible explanation is that the solar wind may induce a sufficient magnetic field in the Earth's ionosphere to shield the surface from energetic particles even in the absence of the Earth's normal magnetic field

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geomagnetic_r...d_human_society

note : the correct term for this phenomena is "geomagnetic reversal", polar shift was the theory hypothesized by Charles Hapgood in the 1950s and disproved when the modern theory of plate tectonics became accepted in the 1960s

:tu:

....yes the geomagnetic field is weakening, with a project collapse and reversal between the years 3000-4000 AD.

But isn't it likely that over the next 1000 - 2000 years the human race, assuming that it continues to progress at its current rate, will have learned how to control the magnetic field?

But isn't it likely that over the next 1000 - 2000 years the human race, assuming that it continues to progress at its current rate, will have learned how to control the magnetic field?

I would think that if "over the next 1000 - 2000 years the human race, assuming that it continues to progress at its current rate," it won't matter if the entire planet gets cooked and all life on it is extinguished because we'll be "out there" by then anyway

;)

I would be more worried about the millions of others that don't and will want to kill you for your belongings....

Let them come....

Edited by soulseeker

same. they came meet my friend called Glock 21 .45cal (haha)

:tu:

It's all about survival instinct.