Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woman has 'phantom' third arm

UM-Bot

This is an utterly amazing showcase of exactly how much our brain dictates to us what reality is. Kinda goes hand-in-hand with the recent 10th anniversary of The Matrix, eh?

Edited by SQLserver

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• .i.

• Resonance

• theSOURCE

• WoIverine

I'm in no way trying to ridicule you (lighten up).

I'm not sure how you understand the multi-verse hypothesis, but from what I understand it does not mean that there are multiple copies of our existence in an infinite amount of existences (consisting of infinite amounts of origins, outcomes to actions, etc.).

Depending on which theory you subscribe to there are either 10 or 11 dimensions which make up our current understanding of the universe in which we live in. These are not separate realms of existence, but rather, substructures which make up our universe.

The multi-verse hypothesis regards other mathematical universe type structures which may be similar to our own, or which may consist of completely different physical laws than those of this universe.

The idea of a parallel universe mirroring our own is simply the realm of science fiction (or new age beliefs).

If I'm in error, then please post links to sites with legitimate scientific papers regarding such. I'm not afraid to admit when I'm wrong.

In any case, relax. This is only an online forum.

So my idea is not a scientific fact then, I never said or believed it was, but that doesn't mean it isn't possible. You seem to have a problem with that, why else are you trying to lecture me with this theory above and words like "fantasy" "new age beliefs" And if not, then why are we having this conversation? I'm just being open minded, is that what's bugging you?

And your the one humping my leg... You relax! :blink:

So my idea is not a scientific fact then, I never said or believed it was, but that doesn't mean it isn't possible. You seem to have a problem with that, why else are you trying to lecture me with this theory above and words like "fantasy" "new age beliefs" And if not, then why are we having this conversation? I'm just being open minded, is that what's bugging you?

And your the one humping my leg... You relax! :blink:

You know, you're absolutely right.

Presenting scientific fact to someone who would rather live in a fantasy world is a completely futile endeavor.

My apologies for having expressed any form of factual material. I'm so sorry for having intruded into your dream world. It was completely rude and uncalled for.

Enjoy. :tu:

You know, you're absolutely right.

Presenting scientific fact to someone who would rather live in a fantasy world is a completely futile endeavor.

My apologies for having expressed any form of factual material. I'm so sorry for having intruded into your dream world. It was completely rude and uncalled for.

Enjoy. :tu:

Ouch! I like scientific facts! But do you really believe that the multiverse, and the 10th dimension is scienific fact because that's what you presentated to me. I'm open for these possibilities but if you really firmly believe in those ideas then perhaps your the one living in a dream world.

Your really doing a great job at expressing your qualities as a person now. After all, that's what it is all about.

Ouch! I like scientific facts! But do you really believe that the multiverse, and the 10th dimension is scienific fact because that's what you presentated to me. I'm open for these possibilities but if you really firmly believe in those ideas then perhaps your the one living in a dream world.

Your really doing a great job at expressing your qualities as a person now. After all, that's what it is all about.

Ah, so brawl is your attitude towards posting as well as your moniker. :D

Whatever, buddy.

Like I said, I'm sorry for having insulted your beliefs.

If and when you're interested in having a discussion regarding serious scientific data I'll be happy to oblige you. ;)

Ah, so brawl is your attitude towards posting as well as your moniker. :D

Whatever, buddy.

Like I said, I'm sorry for having insulted your beliefs.

If and when you're interested in having a discussion regarding serious scientific data I'll be happy to oblige you. ;)

I don't hold any believes because I dont presume to know without valid scientific proof so don't worry about that.

I don't hold any believes because I dont presume to know without valid scientific proof

That's a very wise path to follow. ;)

so don't worry about that.

I'm not worried about a thing. :)

That's a very wise path to follow. ;)

Yes it is, but I guess it doesn't stop me from being philosofical ;)

I'm not worried about a thing. :)

Well I feel much better now and I hope you do to, kind words and smiley faces do wonders :)

Yes it is, but I guess it doesn't stop me from being philosofical ;)

Well I feel much better now and I hope you do to, kind words and smiley faces do wonders :)

Absolutely. Why propagate animosity when a simple "agree to disagree" sentiment will suffice?

Regardless, phantom limbs existing in a parallel universe is still fantasy.

Booya! :P

i think she can already move objects with her phantom arm, as it said in the article that 'the woman can use the apparitional extremity to relieve very real itches on the cheek. It cannot penetrate solid objects.'

The phantom arm cannot penetrate solid objects!

Well I think she can relieve itches on cheek because after all those itches are on her own body and they can be relieved if her brain is told that they are relieved... When her phantom arm does so, her brain is told that there is no more itching....

The article say that the arm cannot penetrate solid objects.. but can she really move other objects..? I don't think so... I mean that would be like WOAH.

Ok, It makes no sense to you then. And I'm not saying that this is what's causing the arm, I'm just saying maybe, who knows.

octomom has a new friend to play with. soon shell have many arms like an octopus

An easy Check to see if she had an Adam's Apple would have told yah that. :w00t::lol:

Pavot

Edited by Pavot

Okay, please refer to the website: dictionary.com...

I would like you to look up the word 'speculation'.

Supernatural speculation could honestly mean ANYTHING.

So, what gives you the right to say it makes no sense?

Do you even know how a parallel universe is theorectically possible?

Apparently not..

@Brawl and Resonance

The odds of a finite, localized extension of parralel universe eminating from the woman in question are extremely improbable, bordering on impossible. It is far more likely that she suffers from an as of yet undiagnosed form of psychosis, or chemical imbalance, but common sense dictates that this could even be a form of attention seeking behavior. Take a closer look at the obvious before throwing out random scientific theories, it makes you look like you forgot your tinfoil hat.

Edited by SpIdErCyDe

The odds of a finite, localized extension of parralel universe eminating from the woman in question are extremely improbable, bordering on impossible. It is far more likely that she suffers from an as of yet undiagnosed form of psychosis, or chemical imbalance, but common sense dictates that this could even be a form of attention seeking behavior. Take a closer look at the obvious before throwing out random scientific theories, it makes you look like you forgot your tinfoil hat.

Yet, with your ignorance you fail to see that it was not I who proposed the speculative parallel universe idea. I was just the one stating that, whether it be less probable, it's still plausible. Extremely improbable... could you please substantiate this claim?

Provide scientific data to help ease the reasoning...

Of course it's less probable.... I've already agreed with that assumption... which is exactly what it is, an assumption because you haven't the knowledge yourself to actually ascertain it...

Pff. :no:

Ahh, I see... You've added "Brawl & Resonance" to your post, this could help people understand that it wasn't I, who believed it to be a parallel appendage. haha.

Edited by Resonance

Ahh, I see... You've added "Brawl & Resonance" to your post, this could help people understand that it wasn't I, who believed it to be a parallel appendage. haha.

I don't believe that it is a parallel appendage either...

@Brawl and Resonance

I didn't say that it was the most probable explanation and never believed so, and I got the impression from everyone here that it was something impossible because of some reason. Yet you speak of odds, and something that is far more likely. All probabilities exists in a Multiverse somewhere, even the most smallest ones.

And thanks for the tinfoil hat joke, really does make me look like a morron doesn't it?

How fascinating.

I lopped off a fingertip back in 1978. My body still can't register the fact that it's gone. When I go to push a button or something there's always this little thought in the back of my mind of, "Hey somethings wrong. I'm feeling the button inside my finger. This can't be...". I've always wondered if the "missing limb" experience is related to the concept of an "astral body" and such.

Extra-dimensional limbs are the stuff of fantasy (man, I could go into adult territory with that one....but I won't :P ).

Great minds think alike. My first thought was: wow, that could be fun in a boring business meeting.

I don't believe that it is a parallel appendage either...

I didn't say that it was the most probable explanation and never believed so, and I got the impression from everyone here that it was something impossible because of some reason. Yet you speak of odds, and something that is far more likely. All probabilities exists in a Multiverse somewhere, even the most smallest ones.

And thanks for the tinfoil hat joke, really does make me look like a morron doesn't it?

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you did.

I agree, it's not the most probable, but just like you said according to the multiverse theory, there's no reason to rule your idea out completely. (Of course, it's pretty much unfathomable..) ;)

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you did.

I agree, it's not the most probable, but just like you said according to the multiverse theory, there's no reason to rule your idea out completely. (Of course, it's pretty much unfathomable..) ;)

Maybe so, but I'm not presuming to know how likely it is.

Absolutely. Why propagate animosity when a simple "agree to disagree" sentiment will suffice?

Regardless, phantom limbs existing in a parallel universe is still fantasy.

Booya! :P

Uhm.. Actually, it's theoretically possible. :D

Edited by Resonance

Everything is theoretically possible. However, some things must exist outside the realm of theoretical possibility, i.e. Oprah maintaining her ideal weight, pulling an equal amount of matching socks out of the dryer at any given time, Chuck Norris' eventual defeat, etc.

Actually, it's not. ;)

However, if you have a link describing such a theory I would be happy to read it (an actual scientific theory, not baseless conjecture or meaningless speculation).

Actually, it's not. ;)

However, if you have a link describing such a theory I would be happy to read it (an actual scientific theory, not baseless conjecture or meaningless speculation).

Okay, you got me.

It's theoretically possible for there to be 'parallel universes', and you can speculate the possibilities of someone's brain being re-wired after a stroke, to perceive things in this new extra dimension.

:) Trust me, I don't believe it either. haa.