Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gordon Brown plan for army of teen volunteers

acidhead

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...volunteers.html

9:40AM BST 12 Apr 2009

Gordon Brown has vowed to make every young person do 50 hours of voluntary work by the time they reach the age of 19.

The Prime Minister said a pledge to introduce compulsory community service would be included in Labour's next general election manifesto.

Under the scheme, the work - which could include helping out charities in the UK and abroad - is likely to become part of the National Curriculum. It would be integrated into moves to make everyone stay in education or training until the age of 18 by 2011.

Writing in the News of the World, Mr Brown insisted: "It is my ambition to create a Britain in which there is a clear expectation that all young people will undertake some service to their community, and where community service will become a normal part of growing up in Britain.

"And, by doing so, the contributions of each of us will build a better society for all of us."

He went on: "That would mean young people being expected to contribute at least 50 hours of community service by the time they have reached the age of 19.

"This will build on the platform provided by citizenship classes as they develop in our schools. But because the greater part of what I envisage as community service takes place outside the school day, it will require the close involvement of local community organisations and charities."

There would also be a "clear system of accreditation" to mark what youngsters have achieved through voluntary work, he added.

Mr Brown proposed the idea of a National Youth Service to channel teenagers into voluntary work last year. It is due to be formally launched in September, and would become compulsory if Labour was re-elected.

This sounds exactly like Barack Obama and Rahm Emanuael's "Youth Corp" being pushed to America's youth, November 7, 2008(www.change.gov/americaserves/):

The Obama Administration will call on Americans to serve in order to meet the nation’s challenges. President-Elect Obama will expand national service programs like AmeriCorps and Peace Corps and will create a new Classroom Corps to help teachers in underserved schools, as well as a new Health Corps, Clean Energy Corps, and Veterans Corps. Obama will call on citizens of all ages to serve America, by developing a plan to require 50 hours of community service in middle school and high school and 100 hours of community service in college every year. Obama will encourage retiring Americans to serve by improving programs available for individuals over age 55, while at the same time promoting youth programs such as Youth Build and Head Start.

***UPDATE: Obama's America Serves page has CHANGED --same day too, November 7, 2008:

The Obama Administration will call on Americans to serve in order to meet the nation’s challenges. President-Elect Obama will expand national service programs like AmeriCorps and Peace Corps and will create a new Classroom Corps to help teachers in underserved schools, as well as a new Health Corps, Clean Energy Corps, and Veterans Corps. Obama will call on citizens of all ages to serve America, by setting a goal that all middle school and high school students do 50 hours of community service a year and by developing a plan so that all college students who conduct 100 hours of community service receive a universal and fully refundable tax credit ensuring that the first $4,000 of their college education is completely free. Obama will encourage retiring Americans to serve by improving programs available for individuals over age 55, while at the same time promoting youth programs such as Youth Build and Head Start.

Notice the word "require" has vanished. Well, he did promise change. Oh, and now he's going to PAY college students to serve. (Or rather taxpayers will PAY). Forty bucks an hour!!! Middle and high school students will be serving for free. Subject to change, of course.

Now, clearly, community service is not a negative thing, but the violation of personal privacy is. Presumably, mandating community service — the shared American experience as Emanuel calls it, unlike just living here, being American — implies the community service is good. By that same token, then, why do we not have a military draft still? Well, for a myriad of reasons; its overwhelming unpopularity during the 1960s and early 1970s, the complexities of men and women both serving in the armed services today, and the lack of a major imperative. To be against the military draft on the principle of privacy, but for a mandatory civilian corps for its good will towards man would then assume the military does not do good. Which, I'm sure, some would agree with.

...first it was introduced as 'only' 50 hours of "required service" ... then its changed, Same Day, on November 7 2008, to students will receive $money$ for school..... ahhh blackmail...

...... BE WARNED.... accepting this... uh... 'required service' or 'voluntary service'.... er... 'soft military draft' is a mystchevious way of instituting a military draft.....

....AND.. anything you sign will be used against you in a court which determines if you fight for the military(the Queen) or go to jail.

Edited by acidhead

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aquatus1

• BlindMessiah

• Corp

• acidhead

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...volunteers.html

9:40AM BST 12 Apr 2009

Gordon Brown has vowed to make every young person do 50 hours of voluntary work by the time they reach the age of 19.

The Prime Minister said a pledge to introduce compulsory community service would be included in Labour's next general election manifesto.

Under the scheme, the work - which could include helping out charities in the UK and abroad - is likely to become part of the National Curriculum. It would be integrated into moves to make everyone stay in education or training until the age of 18 by 2011.

Writing in the News of the World, Mr Brown insisted: "It is my ambition to create a Britain in which there is a clear expectation that all young people will undertake some service to their community, and where community service will become a normal part of growing up in Britain.

"And, by doing so, the contributions of each of us will build a better society for all of us."

He went on: "That would mean young people being expected to contribute at least 50 hours of community service by the time they have reached the age of 19.

"This will build on the platform provided by citizenship classes as they develop in our schools. But because the greater part of what I envisage as community service takes place outside the school day, it will require the close involvement of local community organisations and charities."

There would also be a "clear system of accreditation" to mark what youngsters have achieved through voluntary work, he added.

Mr Brown proposed the idea of a National Youth Service to channel teenagers into voluntary work last year. It is due to be formally launched in September, and would become compulsory if Labour was re-elected.

This sounds exactly like Barack Obama and Rahm Emanuael's "Youth Corp" being pushed to America's youth, November 7, 2008(www.change.gov/americaserves/):

The Obama Administration will call on Americans to serve in order to meet the nation’s challenges. President-Elect Obama will expand national service programs like AmeriCorps and Peace Corps and will create a new Classroom Corps to help teachers in underserved schools, as well as a new Health Corps, Clean Energy Corps, and Veterans Corps. Obama will call on citizens of all ages to serve America, by developing a plan to require 50 hours of community service in middle school and high school and 100 hours of community service in college every year. Obama will encourage retiring Americans to serve by improving programs available for individuals over age 55, while at the same time promoting youth programs such as Youth Build and Head Start.

***UPDATE: Obama's America Serves page has CHANGED --same day too, November 7, 2008:

The Obama Administration will call on Americans to serve in order to meet the nation’s challenges. President-Elect Obama will expand national service programs like AmeriCorps and Peace Corps and will create a new Classroom Corps to help teachers in underserved schools, as well as a new Health Corps, Clean Energy Corps, and Veterans Corps. Obama will call on citizens of all ages to serve America, by setting a goal that all middle school and high school students do 50 hours of community service a year and by developing a plan so that all college students who conduct 100 hours of community service receive a universal and fully refundable tax credit ensuring that the first $4,000 of their college education is completely free. Obama will encourage retiring Americans to serve by improving programs available for individuals over age 55, while at the same time promoting youth programs such as Youth Build and Head Start.

Notice the word "require" has vanished. Well, he did promise change. Oh, and now he's going to PAY college students to serve. (Or rather taxpayers will PAY). Forty bucks an hour!!! Middle and high school students will be serving for free. Subject to change, of course.

Now, clearly, community service is not a negative thing, but the violation of personal privacy is. Presumably, mandating community service — the shared American experience as Emanuel calls it, unlike just living here, being American — implies the community service is good. By that same token, then, why do we not have a military draft still? Well, for a myriad of reasons; its overwhelming unpopularity during the 1960s and early 1970s, the complexities of men and women both serving in the armed services today, and the lack of a major imperative. To be against the military draft on the principle of privacy, but for a mandatory civilian corps for its good will towards man would then assume the military does not do good. Which, I'm sure, some would agree with.

National Youth Service?

In Germany I believed they called it the Hitler Youth.

National Youth Service?

In Germany I believed they called it the Hitler Youth.

Yep, good old brown shirts.

Helping a church do works of charity doesnt meet qualifications under 0bamas plan. Hmmm. Very Hitler like indeed.

Hahahahahaha.

They ain't even getting in office again for a good while, after the next election.

I'm beginning to think the policies fall out of Christmas crackers!

I had to do 40 hours during my OAC year in high school. And frankly a lot of kids these days could use some hard work. Really don't see how volunteer work = government facist brainwashing. :rolleyes:

haha, how is that voluntary?

--like in America, they'll attach a $ sign to the 'voluntary' service to make it sound more appealing and to 'con' the public into thinking that they will be rewarded for service.

..its just blackmail with a dollar sign attached to it..... gee, how original.... but what do we expect from the international bankster cartel.... they wouldn't do something for free... :no:

Well isn't this a good idea to get thousands of young people (many lazy buggers) into a routine?

I had to do 40 hours during my OAC year in high school. And frankly a lot of kids these days could use some hard work. Really don't see how volunteer work = government facist brainwashing. :rolleyes:

Once the 'volunteer' signs anything related to this 'service' you can 'bet' this will 'guarantee' a future 'contract' between the 'signee' and the State.

...nothing is for 'free' in the western 'debt-based economy' world anymore :no:

no, not when the major banks are forcefully bailed out at the taxpayers expense when half the population doesn't have any money to start with!

Once the 'volunteer' signs anything related to this 'service' you can 'bet' this will 'guarantee' a future 'contract' between the 'signee' and the State.

...nothing is for 'free' in the western 'debt-based economy' world anymore :no:

no, not when the major banks are forcefully bailed out at the taxpayers expense when half the population doesn't have any money to start with!

...what are you talking about Acid? This is about having kids in Britain pitch in and help out their communities and helping charities, and you think the goal is to steal away people's freedom? Take a deep breath man not everything is some vast government plot.

I don't think it's a particularly damaging idea, but I wonder more about how it will be implemented and what will (probably) end up going wrong!

...what are you talking about Acid? This is about having kids in Britain pitch in and help out their communities and helping charities, and you think the goal is to steal away people's freedom? Take a deep breath man not everything is some vast government plot.

take a deep breath?

...have you been paying attention?! ....

Have you noticed that the same people who bailed out the major banksters also have created a stronger, more powerful IMF?

Economics is their most powerful weapon and 'voluntary' service with a $ sign attached is an attack on everybody's freedom.

The 'voluntary' service you performed in high school is different than this 'service' being offered.

Your service was designed to 'prepare' you to go out into the work force and pay taxes to the banksters.

This 'new voluntary service' is a continuation of the same program but with a clause that secures future service in an emergency military force.

Yes take a deep breath. Is Brown saying that kids must do their hours at a bank? No. Did he say they must to their hours at a bank funded operation? No. Did he mention banks in any way, shape, or form? No. So where do you get the idea that volunteer service is some kind of bank focused plot? How is cleaning a park or working at a food bank evil?

Yes take a deep breath. Is Brown saying that kids must do their hours at a bank? No. Did he say they must to their hours at a bank funded operation? No. Did he mention banks in any way, shape, or form? No. So where do you get the idea that volunteer service is some kind of bank focused plot? How is cleaning a park or working at a food bank evil?

Volunteer service is volunteer service when there are no strings attached.... its just volunteer work.

This is different. This has a $ sign attached to the signee's signature.... this is how the mafia operates...."I do you a favor - now you owe me a favor in return"

...this is where the banks come in.... the money has to come from somewhere.... gee.... the major banking institutions were just bailed out.... remember?

Edited by acidhead

im a bit worried :cry:

i got 4 more years to do 50 hours of voluntary work. i have so many problems with that... 1. i dont do work without getting paid (unless its for a good charity). 2. i have to give up my spare time to do work for the community which theres no point of doing because it should be people commiting pety crimes should be doing community service. 3. i think gordan brown is an idiot who doesnt know what hes doing and isnt doing anything to benefit me in the future so im not gonna do anything pointless to benefit his popularity to make people think that teenagers are good, not thugs...

Edited by dr alien

im a bit worried :cry:

i got 4 more years to do 50 hours of voluntary work. i have so many problems with that... 1. i dont do work without getting paid (unless its for a good charity). 2. i have to give up my spare time to do work for the community which theres no point of doing because it should be people commiting pety crimes should be doing community service. 3. i think gordan brown is an idiot who doesnt know what hes doing and isnt doing anything to benefit me in the future so im not gonna do anything pointless to benefit his popularity to make people think that teenagers are good, not thugs...

Yes, well, it's clear you already have an appreciation for community. No need to guild the lilly.

2. i have to give up my spare time to do work for the community which theres no point of doing because it should be people commiting pety crimes should be doing community service.

If this is aimed at 11 (start of secondary school education) to 19 year olds then they'd be giving up 0.07% of their time.

If it is just aimed at 16 (end of secondary school education) to 19 year olds they'd be giving up 0.19% of their time.

You will have to give up 0.14% of your time.

:o

OH MY GOD IT'S SLAVERY!!!

To be honest though I don't really see the point, in year 10 all schools do a two week work experience scheme. Well they did when I went to school.

Edited by Splodgenessabounds

I think this is a great idea.

Freaking alarmists turn everything into a facist plot.

If this is aimed at 11 (start of secondary school education) to 19 year olds then they'd be giving up 0.07% of their time.

If it is just aimed at 16 (end of secondary school education) to 19 year olds they'd be giving up 0.57% of their time.

:o

OH MY GOD IT'S SLAVERY!!!

To be honest though I don't really see the point, in year 10 all schools do a two week work experience scheme. Well they did when I went to school.

2 weeks? im going july and i thought it was 1 week :hmm:

theyre also doing work experience in college as well now. but at the age of 16 you can get a part time job so your work experience can be at the place your already working

Edited by dr alien

2 weeks? im going july and i thought it was 1 week :hmm:

It was two weeks when I went. That was 8 years ago.

ive actually found a flaw in this. how the hell is it possible to get ALL teenagers to do this voluntary work if most of them are thugs and have no respect for authoruty and wont do the work... im not sure how theyre gonna force us all to do it, ill just be walking around pointing at cans of red bull that people have dropped on the floor :rofl:

It'll will never work. Gordon Browns policy makers are living in cloud cuckoo land. If Gordon try to tame the youth of tomorrow the youth will lynch this government.

ive actually found a flaw in this. how the hell is it possible to get ALL teenagers to do this voluntary work if most of them are thugs and have no respect for authoruty and wont do the work... im not sure how theyre gonna force us all to do it, ill just be walking around pointing at cans of red bull that people have dropped on the floor :rofl:

You won't, you'll be wandering around picking up cans of Red Bull that people have dropped on the floor! ;)

It'll will never work. Gordon Browns policy makers are living in cloud cuckoo land. If Gordon try to tame the youth of tomorrow the youth will lynch this government.

No offense steve, but, once a $ sign is attached to the 'volunteer' service there will be no youth lynching anything...

..hell.. when people do protest in Britain most ridicule them anyhow and they are deemed thugs and provacateurs.

..just wait... the exchange of school tuition help and introduction of student discounts will encourage the enrollment/enlistment process.

---economics is the IMF's super weapon and using it to bribe nations has worked like a charm... can't see it being any different on westernized nations too...

..it just has to be wrapped differently and smell a little sweeter.